livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4263 Post(s)
Liked 3,254 Times in 1,857 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Do you have a shareable link for this UCLA "note"? The CDC and most everything else I've read still says that COVID-19 can be transmitted by airborne droplets: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html

I believe the issue is that the masks are not fine enough to stop the tiny virus particles from blowing through so they don't protect from airborne viruses either way. They are very effective at discouraging hand to mouth and nose contact, however.
Old 03-17-20, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence Rhodes View Post
Who is going to check your route to and from work. Simply take the long way.
My workplace has decreed "telework for everybody." Can I still go out for my 10-mile ride morning and evening to get to [workplace at home] and back to [home]?
Old 03-17-20, 09:57 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 99 Posts
“Spain has band bicycling“

the trombone players must be fun to watch!
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-17-20, 10:22 AM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I believe the issue is that the masks are not fine enough to stop the tiny virus particles from blowing through so they don't protect from airborne viruses either way. They are very effective at discouraging hand to mouth and nose contact, however.
That is a very different thing than what Mad Honk said in his post. (The real issue with "surgical" masks is that they simply don't seal well around the edges to filter incoming air, and that's really not their job.) There is a lot of misinformation going around right now, so people need to check their sources and not believe everything they get in their inboxes. Going around and telling people that COVID-19 is "not airborne" is a very dangerous thing to do right now.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-17-20, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

That is a very different thing than what Mad Honk said in his post. (The real issue with "surgical" masks is that they simply don't seal well around the edges to filter incoming air, and that's really not their job.) There is a lot of misinformation going around right now, so people need to check their sources and not believe everything they get in their inboxes. Going around and telling people that COVID-19 is "not airborne" is a very dangerous thing to do right now.

I think they also don't prevent the airborne spread of exhaled viruses because of lack of fine seal. I totally agree the airborne aspect of this needs to be emphasized because my understanding is that is the primary transmission route, which is why there's so much emphasis on the social distancing.

I think we're in agreement here, getting that wrong is dangerous. If I implied otherwise, I apologize.
Old 03-17-20, 12:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 516 Posts
I think they also don't prevent the airborne spread of exhaled viruses because of lack of fine seal. I totally agree the airborne aspect of this needs to be emphasized because my understanding is that is the primary transmission route, which is why there's so much emphasis on the social distancing.

I think we're in agreement here, getting that wrong is dangerous. If I implied otherwise, I apologize.
Yep, we're on the same page.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-17-20, 12:31 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Yep, we're on the same page.

That page better be 6 feet wide!
Old 03-17-20, 08:52 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 357 Posts
Do you have a shareable link for this UCLA "note"? The CDC and most everything else I've read still says that COVID-19 can be transmitted by airborne droplets: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html
TS,
I have sent the info to Miele Man who posted the info to the general cycling forum. I trust you can read it there. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-18-20, 08:29 AM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Raleigh Elkhorn, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 53 Posts
If Spain has temporarily banned bicycling it is a foolish move. Perhaps this was already mentioned in the thread but who wants to be forced into public transit when you have no car? Confined close spaces amongst others would accelerate the spread of anything respiratory, wouldn't it? Bicycling is an open air, solitary activity and you generally keep distance from everyone else when doing it. I thought locally it would be good if Transit had a virucide team mist down inside the buses when they are in the garage for the night. Could be done very quickly with one of those hand pump sprayers that is used for applying weed killer and wouldn't cost all that much.
Old 03-18-20, 09:06 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
If Spain has temporarily banned bicycling it is a foolish move. Perhaps this was already mentioned in the thread but who wants to be forced into public transit when you have no car? Confined close spaces amongst others would accelerate the spread of anything respiratory, wouldn't it? Bicycling is an open air, solitary activity and you generally keep distance from everyone else when doing it. I thought locally it would be good if Transit had a virucide team mist down inside the buses when they are in the garage for the night. Could be done very quickly with one of those hand pump sprayers that is used for applying weed killer and wouldn't cost all that much.
It's not an outright ban on cycling. It's a ban on recreational cycling. It's too bad they also didn't or we don't know if there are similar bans on recreational driving, recreational walking or recreational riding of taking public transit.

When one goes out for leisure, he or she is most likely to socialize or linger around. When one goes out for business or a specific purpose like grocery shopping or going to the bank, one usually does his thing and then promptly leaves.
Old 03-18-20, 09:18 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 328 Posts
Spain is in Lockdown. Doesn't matter WHAT VEHICLE you use on the road.

El presidente detalló los puntos centrales del decreto de alarma, en el que quedan muy claras las limitaciones de movimientos: los ciudadanos “únicamente podrán circular por las vías de uso público para la realización de las siguientes actividades: adquisición de alimentos, productos farmacéuticos y de primera necesidad. Asistencia a centros sanitarios. Desplazamiento al lugar de trabajo para efectuar su prestación laboral, profesional o empresarial. Retorno al lugar de residencia habitual. Asistencia y cuidado a mayores, menores, dependientes, personas con discapacidad o personas especialmente vulnerables. Desplazamiento a entidades financieras. Por causa de fuerza mayor o situación de necesidad”.

The president detailed the central points of the alarm decree, in which the limitations of movements are very clear: citizens "will only be able to circulate along the roads for public use to carry out the following activities: purchase of food, pharmaceutical products and First need. Assistance to health centers. Travel to the workplace to carry out your work, professional or business provision. Return to the habitual place of residence. Assistance and care for the elderly, minors, dependents, people with disabilities or especially vulnerable people. Displacement to financial entities. Due to force majeure or need situation ”.
-mr. bill
Old 03-18-20, 09:47 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Sad

I get the idea that an injured cyclist is the last thing a hospital needs if stretched to the limit with viral patients.

After a long Maine Winter though, I'm praying recreational cycling isn't banned here. Looking forward to taking the bike out on the first 50 plus degree day is one of the things keeping me sane as is. Cabin fever is at its peak in March here.

I usually can't get on the roads until about May 1, but we've had such a warm March so far, with no real snow lately, that I've been hoping to hit the paved roads any day now. The usual sand/ gravel from winter road maintenance is gone already, which is very unusual on this date. Gravel roads are still too wet and soft and rutted by trucks, but even those are within weeks of being rideable.
Old 03-18-20, 10:03 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
Spain banned recreational bike riding. Sorry, but I don't know anyone who engages in recreational public transit riding.

They can ride their bike for transit, but only for the same reasons they can ride public transit, drive, walk, etc.
Old 03-18-20, 11:34 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1 View Post
I get the idea that an injured cyclist is the last thing a hospital needs if stretched to the limit with viral patients....

A ban on driving would be much more effective because taking bad drivers off the road would immediately mitigate bicycle, pedestrian and other motorist injuries. But we all know it's much easier for the general public not to bicycle than not to drive badly.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 03-18-20, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
A ban on driving would be much more effective because taking bad drivers off the road would immediately mitigate bicycle, pedestrian and other motorist injuries. But we all know it's much easier for the general public not to bicycle than not to drive badly.

For the umpteenth time, Spain has basically put the same restrictions on bicycling as they have driving and everything else. You can only do it for necessary trips. The rule is stay home unless you have to go somewhere for certain allowable reasons.

Not every issue fits the cars vs. bikes agenda.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-18-20, 05:31 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 328 Posts
For the umpteenth time, Spain has basically put the same restrictions on bicycling as they have driving and everything else. You can only do it for necessary trips. The rule is stay home unless you have to go somewhere for certain allowable reasons.

Right, again, Spain is in LOCKDOWN. You may leave your house for specific reasons, otherwise you can’t.

No matter WHAT MANNER OF TRANSPORT you use.

This is not bike v anything, it’s uninformed v facts.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-18-20, 06:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12742 Post(s)
Liked 5,025 Times in 2,589 Posts

I applaud your perseverance but question your sanity.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-18-20, 07:23 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Raleigh Elkhorn, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 53 Posts
It's not an outright ban on cycling. It's a ban on recreational cycling. It's too bad they also didn't or we don't know if there are similar bans on recreational driving, recreational walking or recreational riding of taking public transit.

When one goes out for leisure, he or she is most likely to socialize or linger around. When one goes out for business or a specific purpose like grocery shopping or going to the bank, one usually does his thing and then promptly leaves.
Ok, thank you for the clarification.