Old 03-17-20, 11:05 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Sorry ... not a subscriber. Got my info about that graph from elsewhere.
That is why I posted the direct link:

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
It is for both. Look at the NYT article link.

Also, here is the direct link to the model:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf
Likes For wgscott:
Old 03-17-20, 11:10 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
It's not so bad if you can handle $2300 for a 1 bedroom apt., $4.00 for a gallon of regular, high property tax, high grocery prices, mind numbing traffic, no parking, absurdly high homeowners insurance if you're near a "fire zone" and 1000s of homeless people.
On the upside, there are lots of good people here, still. And the weather, we have to mention weather, except drought. Drought is a big problem.

Lots of rural California, too.
CA is a big state, and of course not all of it is as messed up as the 5 SF Bay area counties. That said, in the last 25 years I lived there, when the tap water didn't meet existing purity standards, the authorities just changed the standards. All the clean air regulations do is run up the price of gas, especially when you've got the Richmond refineries belching tons of who knows what into the air just 15 miles away. Did I mention the nice coal trains running behind my home 24 hours a day rattling pictures on the wall, blasting their deafening horns. It's almost enough to drown out the gun fire that was a regular occurrence in the children's park across the street from out place. Then there's that friendly CA culture spawned by the whole new class of poverty created by the insane housing market. Add to that a state legislature that's more concerned about Johnnie's self esteem than the condition of the infrastructure, and you have an idea of what is was like in eastern Contra Costa County when we left.

And yes there are rural areas in CA less affected by all this. But what they may lack in the way of urban rot, they make up in year round fire danger.

To be sure, southern Oregon is not without it's ills.but it's quieter by far, much cleaner, with better roads and friendlier people. Haven't seen a used hypodermic syringe or rubber in the road or heard any gun fire since we got here. Who know how long it'll stay like it is now? I have no illusions. Eventually all the small islands of civility will be compromised by the crush of over-population and stupidity. At least I've got biology on my side.At my age, I'll be worm food before too much of the ills of Western civilization reach our area.

Last edited by BillyD; 03-17-20 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Potentially troublesome remark.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 03-17-20, 11:18 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
Kalifornica hasn't been the place to be at any age for a while now.
For those of you who don't want to come to our great state and would rather insult us from afar, that's fine by me that you stay home. I love it here. Also, there's mucho misinformation in this thread. The governor's statements were suggestions, not binding requirements. However, the local SF Bay Area public health officers' shelter-in-place orders are mandatory, but have reasonable exemptions for things like grocery shopping, outdoor exercise (including bike riding) and many other activities. I personally am relieved that they are moving ahead so fast. Delaying action would certainly make the upcoming epidemic that much worse. Look at where Italy is right now...severe quarantine orders and no bike riding or outside exercise allowed.
Likes For davester:
Old 03-17-20, 11:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2450 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 1,022 Posts
Do you get the anti-Californian sentiment from Oregonians? I have a sister in the Portland area, she's been there for decades. I also have a brother in Boise and another in Tucson. I grew up here in the L.A. area and I would like to move somewhere cheaper, actually I need to because since retiring I am having financial issues I haven't faced in along time. If my landlord raises my rent or decides to sell the house I am screwed.
On that note, I think I'll go ride around the neighborhood a bit.
Old 03-17-20, 11:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 626 Posts
I never did when I lived there, I think that it's mostly a media creation. Of course being from CA is not something you'd ever BRAG about to Oregonians. The state seems like a great place to retire, especially since the economy is quite anemic compared to CA, and the wages (if you can find a job) are substantially lower. I never did find decent work there, and came back to the Golden State broke.

The rain did not get me down too much, living in the Portland area. There was one stretch when I lived there where it either rained or snowed every day for four months. That didn't bother me, but the sun being hidden by clouds much of the year was a little depressing at times, for a native Californian, where you see the sun nearly every day. I also thought it was interesting that it got surprisingly hot there in Summer months, due to longer days at the higher latitude.
Old 03-17-20, 12:34 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by davester View Post
For those of you who don't want to come to our great state and would rather insult us from afar, that's fine by me that you stay home.

No insult intended. Sorry if you see my comments that way, and I'm not so far away. I merely gave some examples to what I've experienced first hand in one region of California over the past 25 years. Anecdotes, not data, which over time bothered me enough to want to leave. Clearly, your experience has been different than mine, and if you're happy where you are, more power to you. I invite you to stay put. I'm glad to be where I am now too. You wouldn't leave , and I wouldn't go back. Seems to me everybody's got to be someplace
Old 03-17-20, 12:53 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 1,066 Times in 507 Posts
It's a cruel Darwinian action that's pushing less successful people out of California, but that is our system.
Old 03-17-20, 01:15 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
It's a cruel Darwinian action that's pushing less successful people out of California, but that is our system.

It's also pushing people who are successful by any realistic measure either out if they have the means or onto the streets if they don't.

Right now, an individual making $120,000/year or less is considered low income in SF county. Makes things a bit tough if you're on a fixed income of < 80K. On the other hand, the insane real estate market down there allowed me to sell my house in Pittsburg for half of what it's supposedly worth and still realize enough cash to pay off the old mortgage, buy a nicer home here free and clear , pay all our moving expenses, and leave a few thousand in savings. We were in CA for the first 3 months of 2019. That "privilege" cost us ~1200 in state income tax. The remaining 9 months here were with no state income tax liability at all.

It's all a matter of what you're willing to deal with. At my age, I'm short of time and patience. If your circumstances allow you greater flexibility, congratulations.

Last edited by bmcer; 03-17-20 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 01:32 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 317 Posts
Just to be clear, they are saying it is fine to go for solo walks, jog, ride bikes, etc. It is activities that put you in close contact with other people they are trying to prevent. For people that think it's all really silly, consider what happened in Italy where in a matter of a few weeks had the highest one-day death toll anywhere in the world.

By now, there are plenty of cities / countries that have dealt with the virus and they know what actions were taken and how effective they were. If they are following best practices, I'll deal with it and hope it's over soon.
Old 03-17-20, 02:08 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

I've got a bad feeling we might be doomed anyway.

"Visitors pack [Clearwater, FLA] beach despite coronavirus warnings"

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...us-mxp-vpx.hln
Old 03-17-20, 02:46 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler View Post
I think Elderly Californians should take some precautions if they are infirm or have challenged immune systems. But, Californians have been exposed to worse upper respiratory threats than this particular virus for years;

https://www.wnd.com/2014/07/tb-illeg...deadly-threat/

The mass media never said peep about it because it didn't fit a politically correct narrative. The massive amount of homeless and unsanitary conditions in large major cities don't help keep plagues under control either.

Plague has occured in California before;

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...ue-5768180.php

In this case the plague was limited to one city and the government of the time didn't take advantage of it to write themselves up some new laws.

But, Californians are still drawing breath today and will continue to do so.
TB - Yes that's one of the important reasons the USA has boarder controls for immigrants and visitors. We don't want TB to become a problem again.

Plague: Its found every year in the local hills, but its well controlled. Local Health agencies occasionally test rodents in the local hills, especially in parks and near campgrounds and other popular sites, and more frequently in summer than winter. They typically find a few sites with plague, close them for a while and do clean-up/retesting, but eventually re-open it in a few weeks none the worse for wear. Most media outlets ignore this, too.
Old 03-17-20, 02:48 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 265 Posts
I tell people that living in California, as much as anywhere else, is like a poop sandwich. The more bread you've got, the less poop you have to eat.

I grew up here, so I don't know any different, but my feeling is while I usually love it here and sometimes hate it here, I could find things to love and hate elsewhere too.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 03-17-20, 03:41 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I've got a bad feeling we might be doomed anyway.

"Visitors pack [Clearwater, FLA] beach despite coronavirus warnings"

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...us-mxp-vpx.hln
Outdoors in the sun is one of the best places to be. UV kills coronavirus that has been deposited on objects.
Old 03-17-20, 07:45 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
Outdoors in the sun is one of the best places to be. UV kills coronavirus that has been deposited on objects.
The close-packing of people and the bars at night are a different story.
Old 03-17-20, 10:37 PM
big john

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/68605...rder-crossings

Many illegals are just people who have overstayed their visas.

And the opinion of a conspiracy theorist like Ron Paul doesn't belong here. Plus, we're supposed to keep politics out of the forum.

Last edited by big john; 03-17-20 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 04:44 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by davester View Post
For those of you who don't want to come to our great state and would rather insult us from afar, that's fine by me that you stay home. I love it here. Also, there's mucho misinformation in this thread.
No offense, but this isn't misinformation. It looks like Haiti (I've been there).

Old 03-18-20, 05:26 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 626 Posts
Yes, it's a little embarrassing, many of us Californians have so much "stuff", that we don't know what to do with it, so it just piles up over time. Many of the folks in this encampment don't likely don't even need to work or contribute to the economy much, they're lucky enough to able to survive on aluminium cans and shoplifting (which is no longer prosecuted). They have plenty of spare time on their hands, and many do wine tasting in their tents, or various chemistry experiments, in search of the perfect intoxicating substance.

Yes, it's a Land of Leisure here, under sunny skies most of the time. We are truly blessed in many ways, but try to keep that under your hat, we don't need the entire world coming here to live of the fat of the land like these clever, creative, and resourceful folks. They have figured out the secret that had eluded man for centuries, of out how to live well without the drudgery of work or responsibilities. They've transcended that, and I wish them well in their cutting-edge social science experiments, of which we are the beneficiaries.
Old 03-18-20, 06:54 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8561 Post(s)
Liked 2,212 Times in 1,248 Posts
This thread is or should be about California as a place to cycle if you’re 65+, NOT a general review of the pros and cons of the state. This is a cycling forum. Let’s get back on topic please. Gracias!
Old 03-18-20, 07:55 AM
moth54

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
In all seriousness, I am only interacting/shopping when necessary. I'm not taking any unnecessary risks and I'm trying to follow all the recommendations from the CDC. But, there is no way that I'm going to curtail a bike ride because of all this.
I think on a bike it is easy enough to keep 6 feet from people (the recommended 2 metre distance).
I go for walks, but in the off hours when I encounter almost nobody.
Old 03-18-20, 08:19 AM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Raleigh Elkhorn, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
No offense, but this isn't misinformation. It looks like Haiti (I've been there).
I spy an exercise bike!
Old 03-18-20, 08:51 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada,Colnago

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 353 Posts
I am about 6 months from full retirement age and plan on taking my SS at that time. I have lived in Ventura County for all but 5 years of my life(I was born in Seattle). I still work quite a bit and would like to scale back , but costs keep climbing. Out of a family of 6 , I am the only one left. Every one of my siblings has left because it is so expensive to live here. I am not sure where I will end up, I love the weather and spend a lot of time cycling . I am pretty sure I would have to wait out the weather in other areas. I know I could sell my house and move up near my brother in Oregon and survive without working but he is already complaining about the nasty Californians moving up there and pricing them out of their real estate( he has only been there 6 years!) I know I will have to do something even without debt (other than my house) it is getting harder to make it comfortably. My oldest brother in Tennessee sent a picture of the sign out front of the gas station $1.75 a gallon and car registration MUCH LESS and his property tax is under $600 a year. He bought a Manufactured home on an acre for less than$100k. I can't imagine cycling in rural Tennessee , he said where he is it would be difficult. Joe
Old 03-18-20, 09:46 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Kabuki12 View Post
. I can't imagine cycling in rural Tennessee , he said where he is it would be difficult. Joe
I have two friends who have moved to Tennessee and they have joined cycling clubs there and love it. Sure, it's not Ventura but, like you said, you can survive there on a lot less money.

Cycling in Tennessee?

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8010292/tennessee For some mountain bike trails.

Last edited by big john; 03-18-20 at 09:58 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-18-20, 10:53 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada,Colnago

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 353 Posts
I have two friends who have moved to Tennessee and they have joined cycling clubs there and love it. Sure, it's not Ventura but, like you said, you can survive there on a lot less money.

Cycling in Tennessee?

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8010292/tennessee For some mountain bike trails.
Thank you for the info! I really have to be where I can bike, it is what I have done all of my adult life and don't care to stop. It is a big factor in deciding what to do or where to move. I also have a nice motorhome that I can use to travel with my bikes on the back. I don't have much time to use it here because I am always working. So living in a more cost friendly area and traveling more is an option to getting in some interesting rides. A lot to think about, exciting yet a little scary. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-18-20, 12:18 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 81 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 288 Posts
I'm only 61 but look forward to days even better than today.

Fewer cars makes for better cycling.
Old 03-18-20, 07:19 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: Raleigh Elkhorn, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 53 Posts
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/68605...rder-crossings

Many illegals are just people who have overstayed their visas.

Now that's a conspiracy theory.

And the opinion of a conspiracy theorist like Ron Paul doesn't belong here. Plus, we're supposed to keep politics out of the forum.
You forgot to mention Tin Foil Hat too. I mentioned it because the guy is a retired medical doctor offering a differing rational perspective. Don't we want the truth, however it's arrived at?

I thought I did keep the politics out by altering my first post and re-posting. The link itself might have been the issue.

Remaining willfully in the dark won't help the situation and relying solely on official, sanctioned sources isn't wise in this case because they do not have all the answers. Multiple sources of information should be referenced and compared. I recall a now deceased famous American historian who in an interview mentioned how bright on average Americans were compared to some parts of the world, but monumentally ignorant because they are so woefully uninformed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.