Reload this Page >

How will COVID19 affect randonneuring?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-16-20, 06:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1649 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

I rode a brevet on Saturday, successfully avoiding contact with people at a couple of controles, but not all. I could have done better.

It seems to me the Powers That Be should issue a few guidelines such as: sign your own brevet card, take a photo for documentation, etc-- anything to avoid contact with people. With minor changes like that, randonneurs should be pretty able to avoid spreading the virus, and brevets should not be a problem. So Randonneuring should not be affected... much.

But will it? I suspect a lot of events will be cancelled, especially large ones.

Have you seen an effect yet?
Old 03-16-20, 08:18 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 102 Posts
Our club decided last night not to cancel any rides yet and to advise riders to follow standard precautions like maintaining safe distances, hand washing, etc. We use receipts for control verification which isn't going to change. Solo riding is extremely safe, and we don't get a lot of big groups in early season rides anyway. We're going to take it week-by-week and may choose to cancel up to the minute before the ride if it comes to that. We're expecting lower than usual participation in the early season rides. We'll see how it goes the rest of the season. Hopefully cases will subside as the weather gets warmer. I'm personally not riding any brevets until May assuming things are better by then.
Old 03-16-20, 10:48 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
In Austria they've banned social gatherings of 5 or more, so that kind of thing would make it hard to have a shared start like a normal ride. I wouldn't ride in a group right now and would probably avoid doing a brevet since there's a fair amount of unnecessary travel involved. I plan to just ride around locally... longer rides will require increased self-supply as there are already shop closures in other countries and even in Quebec they've closed down cafes, pubs, and restaurants. I was surprised they didn't do the same for my province. I fully expect to not be riding any brevets in April or perhaps even into May.
Old 03-16-20, 11:48 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
What effect it OUGHT to have is pretty minimal. Riding solo in the sunshine should be one of the better things you can do at the moment.
What effect it WILL have is no doubt highly variable due to sky-is-falling syndrome.
As long as convenience stores don't start closing down, we should be good locally.
Old 03-16-20, 01:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2154 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 191 Posts
My rando club has cancelled all rides. Good idea. Another club of mine which puts on recreational rides has also cancelled all rides. I'm a private group ride leader and I have also cancelled all group rides. We however encourage everyone to ride solo, but not to stop at cafes, coffee houses, etc. Don't draft other riders. My guess is that convenience stores will remain open. If you do plan to stop somewhere, even a public restroom, be sure to bring along a bottle of sanitizer.
Old 03-16-20, 02:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 164 Posts
Please, no denialism in here. I think all rando events will be canceled, but it's hard to say. Convenience stores may go to only sales of gas, for one thing. The whole getting cards signed was difficult on Saturday because people are wary, as they should be.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-16-20, 04:05 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
Everything everywhere will be closed except food and medical.
Old 03-17-20, 02:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 3092 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 176 Posts
I think Audax UK has cancelled all events.

We're not running our Oppy (not that we were in the first place) and as Audax Tas President, I'm considering cancelling our Easter events.
Old 03-17-20, 02:36 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 48 Posts
I don't think I'll be riding anything over 200km. 300+ tends to beat me up a little.
Old 03-17-20, 03:47 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Audax Malaysia has postponed this month's events (one BRM1000 and one BRM300) until an unannounced later date. The country is officially in a partial lockdown until the end of the month, so I'm guessing they're waiting to see what develops in April. Participants can still ride if they choose, but I'd think that would be highly irresponsible and also riskier since there will be a problem with resupply points and rest stops, especially for the 1000k folk. I've chosen not to ride either.

I just saw Audax UK's tweets that they're not only cancelling events, but also not recognizing them -- so I believe even if you ride them on your own, you won't be homologated? The exact wording being "The AUK Board has tonight decided to suspend recognition of all calendar, permanent and DIY events..."

UPDATE: well looks like Audax Malaysia is now also following suite and won't recognize any rides done during the movement restriction order.

Last edited by atwl77; 03-17-20 at 11:38 PM.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 03-18-20, 07:49 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Our provincial cycling body has told all the clubs to cancel their events until at least May 1st. No club activity will be covered by liability insurance, so that puts the season on hold.
Old 03-18-20, 12:40 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Word from our RBA is that RUSA (national organization) will leave things to the RBAs. Appropriate, I think, as some areas have hit this a week or two before us, and presumably will be past it a week or two earlier.
Meanwhile, we just learned of our first confirmed non-travel-related case in Garland, Texas, as of today.
Old 03-18-20, 01:01 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Our RBA is still planning to run a 200k this Saturday. Only 5 people are signed up right now and she's limiting it to 10. I'm not going, but I wouldn't normally sign up for a March 200k in Wisconsin anyway.
Old 03-18-20, 02:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't see how something like a fleche can be run now, since most restaurants are take out only. Our fleche ends up at the Trexlertown velodrome, which is a county facility. My guess is it will be closed and so no fleche.
Old 03-18-20, 07:39 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
It seems to me the Powers That Be should issue a few guidelines such as: sign your own brevet card, take a photo for documentation, etc-- anything to avoid contact with people. With minor changes like that, randonneurs should be pretty able to avoid spreading the virus, and brevets should not be a problem. So Randonneuring should not be affected... much.
As an RBA (this is such a weird time to be a new RBA): RUSA will be leaving these level of decisions up to individual regions -- we already sent out an email mentioning exactly those things -- info/photo controls, people signing their own cards under the direction of volunteers, using timecard autostampers (like the one Pete has; NER has a portable one) any food at staffed controls being sealed individual packages. Etc.

The issues that are causing event cancellations for us are really the start/finish gatherings, because we can have some pretty large crowds (50-100), especially at early events, and finding places willing to be the start/finish (with, ideally, a restroom). We're also mostly operating out of major metropolitan areas in Boston/Providence -- MA has banned gatherings over 25, which is most of our Boston events in the main series except the 600; we're evaluating events one by one.
Likes For antimonysarah:
Old 03-21-20, 08:12 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Detroit's RBA's have cancelled our first two events. I am bummed to say the least. But, I guess better safe than sorry.
But man, just waiting all winter for the first event kills me. And with the first two event cancelled, it's very disappointing. This will blow over, and we'll continue to ride.
Old 03-22-20, 07:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Eastern PA events are all canceled, as are New Jersey events. I think DC might be having some small 200k's, but those are hard to get to. There is a northern VA 200k that features no human contact. I feel like RUSA should have taken the lead and cancelled the calendar, but they decided to leave it to RBA's
Old 03-22-20, 08:43 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Yes, the RUSA/RBA contrast mimics the Federal/state response in troubling ways.

Yesterday's email from the NJ RBA reads:

"The 2020 Brevet Schedule is currently suspended.

"With the RUSA's suspension of the R12 and P12 awards, all rides on the NJ calendar for April, May, and beyond are currently suspended until RUSA resumes these programs."

From this I gather RUSA has suspended the P12 and R12 awards, which is not a surprise. So I went to the RUSA website to get the details. And what I found was: nothing. No announcements related to COVID19.

On the RUSA website you can still find all the Perms and a lot of information about the perm program, but I find no mention that the perm program is kaput. You can search for upcoming brevets etc, and you'll find a lot. No suggestion that maybe they're not happening.
Old 03-22-20, 09:03 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I got an email from the RUSA Board yesterday.

COVID-19 and RUSA
We are in the middle of a global pandemic and here in the US, it's likely going to get much worse before it gets better. We care about our members and their families, knowing well that many will be impacted. Taking our cue from the country at large, we do not feel that it's appropriate for a national shutdown. That could change any day.

We are placing our trust in the judgement of RBAs, leaving it up to them to decide whether or not to shutdown their region. A number have already canceled their entire calendar or planned to postpone rides. Each situation is different and they must adhere to guidelines from local, State and Federal civil and health authorities, protecting themselves, the riders and the community at large.

We know that many of you are still trying your best to qualify for awards. The following provides a mechanism for a pause in P-12 / R-12 accumulation and a means for RBAs to reschedule rides. We have conferred with ACP and they have provided broad latitude for RUSA to reschedule and/or add events to the schedule for later in 2020, covering ACP Brevets and the Fleche/Trace. It will be up to each RBA to decide how they handle that within their region.

Here's a breakdown of what we are doing:

ACP brevet/Fleche/Trace eventsACP events already held or pre-ridden can be submitted and processed as usual. Canceled events may be rescheduled later during the current ACP year.RUSA brevet/populaire/team events:These events can be canceled or rescheduled and new events added as necessary.RM 1200+ events:Ride organizers can cancel or reschedule.R-12/P-12 streaks:We are declaring a "pause" in counting months for R-12 and P-12. These months will not require make up rides after the pause ends but each award would still require 12 actual rides . The pause period will start March 1 and end when things are more-or-less back to normal. For that, we will take our cue from other cycling organizations such as USA Cycling. Rides during the full pause period will not count towards R-12/P-12 with the exception of rides during the month of March. Riders may use March as a pause month or if they have already completed rides they may use those toward any awards including the R-12/P-12. For those who were planning their permanents suspension make up rides to be ridden in March or April, those make up rides can now take place in the 2 months following the end of the pause.Permanents
We have nothing new to report.

Stay Safe and Healthy!
To all our membership and their families - please do your utmost to keep yourselves and your communities safe!

The RUSA Board
Old 03-22-20, 09:11 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I’m wondering if I should get a refund for the 1200 I signed up for, dunno what kind of shape things will be in July.
Old 03-22-20, 11:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Michele has said that if she cancels the Iron Porcupine, refunds will be more generous than the refund policy currently in place, so riders should hold tight.

I would like to apologize to everyone, this whole thing is my fault. If I had ridden an extra 300k a couple of years ago, I would have finished 10 SR series and earned the RUSA ultra randonneur award. It seemed like it would never happen, and now it's delayed again.
Old 03-24-20, 10:29 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

So this morning brought an email from the PA RBA that begins "By now you should have seen RUSA's announcement and position in response to the COVID-19 pandemic." I should? Well I haven't, and it's not 'cuz I'm not looking.

I went back to the RUSA website, and still nothing about COVID19 except that the Carolina Spring 1200 is cancelled. And I looked through all my email folders; nothing there either. Is there some mode of communication that I'm not privy to?
Old 03-24-20, 10:38 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by rhm View Post
So this morning brought an email from the PA RBA that begins "By now you should have seen RUSA's announcement and position in response to the COVID-19 pandemic." I should? Well I haven't, and it's not 'cuz I'm not looking.

I went back to the RUSA website, and still nothing about COVID19 except that the Carolina Spring 1200 is cancelled. And I looked through all my email folders; nothing there either. Is there some mode of communication that I'm not privy to?
Maybe you haven't renewed your RUSA membership this year? I got the email. It's posted above in its entirety.
Old 03-24-20, 10:58 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Maybe you haven't renewed your RUSA membership this year? I got the email. It's posted above in its entirety.
No, that's not it. Membership is up to date.

I'll go back and poke around some more. Maybe somewhere on the website is a place to subscribe to an email list? My first thought was the email went to spam, but that doesn't seem to be it either.

Regardless where my email went, I would think an announcement of this kind would appear on the "announcements" page.
Old 03-24-20, 12:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

it was posted on the NJ rando facebook page. Mostly just mealy mouthed stuff though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.