Old 03-17-20, 02:11 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Corona . . .

The new C word. Is your life affected? All I hear is shutdown, lockdown, self- isolation. Etc etc. To anybody affected, sympathy from me and apologies for this. But it's not looking good is it?
Started out like a phoney war, but now the tyre's hitting the tarmac, and we in Blighty don't like it up us . . . . not now, not ever. But up us it will surely go!
No gym. Social life? Some lived there; how will they stay sane?
I'm out on the open road again. Am quite enjoying it too!
Stay well, guys. and best o' British as we say. (good luck)
Old 03-17-20, 02:54 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 132 Posts
I went into work on Monday with a sinus infection (your typical 'head cold') and I got sent home from work, along with two others in my dept who started showing symptoms last week (the infection has been making the rounds since early February). I've got some work I can do from home, but that'll run out by the end of the week. More interesting is the other two and myself are 3 of the 5 persons who do the same job; I sure hope those two remaining folks can cover for us, and they don't get sick, too!
Old 03-17-20, 03:48 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 147 Posts
Other than the Y being closed and the local gym curtailing group classes, and shortages at the grocers, it really hasn't affected us too much. We were out of milk, which our Walmart had in stock today. Checked on tp for a neighbor, but still none in stock. Took the dogs out for a neighborhood walk today, saw 2 other people and very few cars. Didn't even see kids (schools are closed) and only 2 people. Seemed kind of like a ghost town with only 2 other people out and about, didn't see one kid. I do miss the people we usually exercise with, but it's ok, seems necessary until the virus passes on.
Old 03-18-20, 03:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3696 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 850 Posts
Hasn't affected me much so far. I quit hanging out at brewpubs and bars a couple of years ago after my thyroid died and I couldn't seem to metabolize alcohol anymore. That cut way back on my casual group rides, which tended to be pub crawls.

I road 57 miles solo Monday afternoon and saw quite a few people out and about, including with their kids. Spring break has been extended indefinitely so stay-at-home parents or those who are out of work are treating it as a vacation ... for now. I'm sure that attitude will change in another week or so. Besides the pandemic scare, we've had a near-continuous deluge for almost a week and it's due to go on another week. That'll make people antsy under the best conditions.

And I'd cut back on the more serious fast roadie group. They're all younger than I and I always got dropped. They'd wait at some regroup spots but I don't like people waiting for me if I'm the only one lagging behind. Usually I didn't mind but there were other little nagging things -- too much randomly and recklessly blowing through stop signs and red lights, and they chose a route that was exactly the opposite direction I prefer. Their route forced some sketchy highway crossings. My version of the same route mostly goes with the flow of traffic where it coincides with rural highways and merges. No point trying to change something other folks were satisfied with, so I dropped out.

There were a few of us who were more compatible riders -- roughly the same age, condition, speed, etc. -- but some dropped out for the winter because they have night blindness or don't like the cold. Another guy has been busy working and with family stuff.

So I've mostly been riding solo for months anyway. No change since the COVID-19 thing.

I always have chronic allergies, sinus problems and asthma so I wouldn't even know if I had a cold or minor bout of the flu. Very similar symptoms, including minor body aches, etc. I'm hoping an upcoming ENT referral will help. On the worst days the mucus is so bad I wouldn't ride with anyone else even if I could keep up. I'm constantly spitting. It's ridiculous how much fluid I waste on phlegm from upper sinus drainage.

Tuesday I had my annual physical at the VA and wore a mask all day. The were sort-of screening at the front door -- checking names, allowing in only people with immediate appointments. But they weren't asking whether we had any respiratory problems, had been out of the country, etc. Kinda surprising how lax the screening was, more of a cosmetic thing than functional.

I'm a former nurse and caregiver for older family (now I *am* the old guy), so I've always kept basic medical supplies around -- surgical masks, gloves, gauze, tape, etc. I saw one other guy on the bus wearing a mask, a friend. We did the elbow bump greeting and laughed.

And I've always kept enough food, toilet paper, etc., on hand to last a couple of weeks or longer. Just habit from growing up in regions with seasonal stuff like hurricanes. And my grandparents and parents grew up with shortages -- my grandparents were young adults during the Great Depression, and my parents were kids during WWII and still kept some old ration coupon books as reminders. They'd also lived through epidemics and quarantines, notably polio.

So I don't really understand people my age who aren't routinely prepared for even minor inconveniences, let alone emergencies. And I have zero patience for anti-vaxxers or people who prefer conspiracy theories over the mundane reality that government officials are sometimes merely incompetent. Even some friends whom I know are intelligent and educated are speculating about martial law. We haven't had true martial law across the US since the Civil War. There have been a few temporary declarations of martial law by state governors during natural disasters when some citizens couldn't behave themselves. But I suspect the folks now who are speculating about martial law are confusing that with curfews and restrictions on travel and gatherings. They ain't the same thing, but some folks regard the slightest interference with exercising their id as evidence of totalitarian dictatorships. ("Whaddaya mean, I can't hang out at the bar and get drunk at 3 am on a Sunday and throw bottles in the parking lot!?! This is martial law, not the America I completely failed to grow up in!")
Old 03-18-20, 09:15 AM
355Mono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
As with many, our dental office has shut down regular operations, only seeing emergencies. We use level 3 masks, barrier protection, and 30-plus years of clean techniques for everything from HIV, Hep, you name it, (Corona too, I'm hoping). Soap and water too. Breaks down that outer fat (lipid) layer. Here in Michigan, I've been getting outside to jog, but am now going to pull out my cold weather gear, and get on the gravel bike. We are in boxes, moving into a new place this summer, so I'll have to dig for my warm riding clothes. Looking forward to riding with my son, who is home from college.. Group rides won't happen for me until later into spring. I'll assume some organized rides are cancelled, like our first Horsey Hundred down in beautiful Kentucky. I firmly believe our healthy habits are helpful to our immune systems. Time to hunker down, learn new songs, wood shed the guitar lessons I've put off, and try to be part of the solution. Stay well all.
Old 03-18-20, 11:42 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 201 Posts
It's not affecting me as much as my recent crash did. That had me in self-isolation for almost 2 months. Kind of bizzare, really. It's become business as usual for me to work from home and not go out much anyway.

I'm very lucky in that I can work from home pretty much just as if I were in the office, and the same is true with my colleagues and clients. So there should be no immediate fiscal impact to me personally, and I really don't have time to wring my hands about it. Going to the market has been an adventure, but I personally think that will die down. Not doing group rides or going to restaurants sucks. But as I said before, I haven't been doing much of that lately anyway.

I'm more concerned for others.

I have friends who are also in the "elderly" demographic, and they have health issues. Obesity, COPD, being immunocompromised, being treated for cancer, smoking. And then there is my 92 year old mother. Heck ... I am the youngest, and I am worried about all of my siblings.

I'm also worried for the people who can't work from home and self isolate. I'm concerned they will either be hurt financially or if they are working anyway, they'll get infected.

All we can do is the best science tells us to do, and help each other as much as we can. That's what I plan to do.

Old 03-18-20, 11:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws View Post
Started out like a phoney war,
There never was anything "phoney" about it, though some tried hard to make it seem that way. Just a lot of denial and refusing to face the facts.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 03-18-20, 12:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11664 Post(s)
Liked 3,490 Times in 1,860 Posts
In Philly, bars are restaurants are closed except for takeout. Other non-essential businesses were also ordered to close. LBS recently got classified as essential! I am still going into work even though I am allowed to work from home. Get's me out of the house and away from the ever-hungry cat. Plus, I am the only one who is coming into the center city office. During my two mile walk to work this morning I encountered 25 people on the same side of the street as me.

My planned Easter weekend tour is off. One NJ state park campground I needed to utilize is closed until the end of April and the ferry I needed to ride stopped allowing foot passengers as of today. Plan B was to a PA state park campground. Learned today that it will also be closed. Working on Plan C.
Old 03-22-20, 05:11 PM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here in Broome County, New York, all but “essential service” businesses are closed. LBS has been deemed essential. Trying to work from home with occasional trips to office to check mail, switch files, etc. Hopefully, I can cover salaries for duration of lock down. I often bike solo and that’s still permitted. First local Covid-19 death this weekend.

Last edited by Hunterdog; 03-22-20 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-23-20, 06:24 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Removed.

Last edited by Climb14er; 03-29-20 at 06:48 AM.
Likes For Climb14er:
Old 03-23-20, 06:49 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 138 Posts
I was fortunate to get a position that is suited for remote work, better actually than at an office, so it hasn't affected my work and the isolation is no more than I've done deliberately in the past. Fitness center closed, raining every day and no bike commute has curtailed my exercise, not really an ordeal but a negative affect.

One thing I didn't anticipate that could develop into a problem. 23 year old son and fiance are living with us, and finding some excuse to go out every day. Grocery store, shopping, something to eat on the way back, and I'm beginning to resent the cavalier risk taking when other people are impacted.
Old 03-23-20, 09:34 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(purchased new), '06 Bianchi Volpe, '88 GT Tequesta(purchased new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
One thing I didn't anticipate that could develop into a problem. 23 year old son and fiance are living with us, and finding some excuse to go out every day. Grocery store, shopping, something to eat on the way back, and I'm beginning to resent the cavalier risk taking when other people are impacted.
They are of an age where it's all about them. If they can't be a bit more considerate to those that surround them..perhaps on one of their trips out they could look for an apartment.
Old 03-23-20, 10:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 349 Posts
Just spit-balling here on possible remedies for you (in increasingly drastic measures):
- pull/remove the wire between the ignition and the starter solenoid (they'll never find the problem)
- declare your own Martial law with curfews as you deem necessary, force them to turn in and check out their car keys
- change the house locks and garage opener codes while they're out

Hope that these help.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-23-20, 10:16 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by fishboat View Post
They are of an age where it's all about them. If they can't be a bit more considerate to those that surround them..perhaps on one of their trips out they could look for an apartment.
That time will come soon enough naturally, that I don't have to turn anyone out. I plan on having a protracted discussion about solving their emergency next time - because surely there must be one - and running their errand myself if need be since I generally have had stronger resistance to viruses. That will probably put the brakes on the whole thing.

I just didn't anticipate that becoming a concern.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-23-20, 02:44 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 171 Posts
It burns me to hear reports of all those college kids on spring break, partying on the Florida beaches like it's 1999, without a care in the world about who they'll infect when they come home.
Old 03-28-20, 08:04 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 330 Posts
We closed the office and I am doing as much work from home as possible, so no bike commuting. But I have taken some pleasure rides. It's just that I use commuting as the motivator to ride.

And when I do have to go to the office to do what can't be done from home, I can't ride, since we took home some of the equipment, and I have to take a cart-full with me to the office,...too much to carry on a bike. And even if I had a bike trailer, it might be too rough for the more delicate items.

It's audio and video equipment, and I know Russ Roca (https://www.pathlesspedaled.com/) used to use a cargo bike for his photography business when he was in California, I am just not set up for that. I don't have cases for some of the equipment that we never expected to have to ferry around.

I decided which equipment should be taken out of the building, based on a break in we had over Thanksgiving a couple-three years back. Insurance replaced it all, but it was a hassle, and took a while to do so. I keep thinking that as the economy is muted for a while, at some point people will get desparate and start stealing and burglarizing. We thought our building was secure, and had withstood two known entry attempts in my 30 years there. But the force and ferocity of the "Thanksgiving" break-in was shocking.
Old 03-30-20, 02:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3696 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 850 Posts
...One thing I didn't anticipate that could develop into a problem. 23 year old son and fiance are living with us, and finding some excuse to go out every day. Grocery store, shopping, something to eat on the way back, and I'm beginning to resent the cavalier risk taking when other people are impacted.
That's one reason I stopped participating in most group rides months ago, not weeks, when the coronavirus outbreak was just beginning. I'm immune-compromised and was as much concerned about unintentionally infecting others as I was about being infected the current super cooties.

It's common for younger people to disregard danger, especially when it impacts others rather than themselves. Not to say normal, but common. I was the same way in some respects, although not with health care -- I was in nursing at the time. But I tended to disregard other physical hazards and engaged in a lot of high risk activities and behaviors. Didn't occur to me until much later how inconsiderate I could be.

One of the local critical mass groups has some members with reckless attitudes, even under normal conditions. Recently their response to the coronoavirus has been "Why should I worry about something that 98% of people will be immune to or survive?" IOW, "I'm fine, screw the rest of y'all weaklings. The gene pool is better off without you."

When it's one of their own family members or friends, they'll sing a different song. When they're older, assuming they live long enough, they'll be screaming that song.

Locally, I'm seeing little difference in most cyclists. The groups have officially suspended group rides. Unofficially, many are still riding in groups. They'll claim on Strava and social media they're practicing safe social distancing. I've seen them out on rides. They aren't riding any differently -- same close drafting. Even a full bike length or two isn't enough to avoid airborne droplets at 15-30 mph.

The parks and multi-use paths are more crowded than usual. Entire families are home -- off work and school -- and I can't fault them for needing to get the kids outside to blow off some steam. But they're all crowding into the same 5% area of the rather large parks and greenways: those mostly 4' wide sidewalks.

I rode briefly on the MUP to get to and from places a week or so ago and quickly realized it wouldn't be possible to maintain a safe distance. So I shifted to riding rural areas, mostly during off-peak hours. I'm a late starter and enjoy night rides, so often I have the roads to myself. Well, me and the deer.
Old 03-30-20, 07:16 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
That's one reason I stopped participating in most group rides months ago, not weeks, when the coronavirus outbreak was just beginning. I'm immune-compromised and was as much concerned about unintentionally infecting others as I was about being infected the current super cooties.

It's common for younger people to disregard danger, especially when it impacts others rather than themselves. Not to say normal, but common. I was the same way in some respects, although not with health care -- I was in nursing at the time. But I tended to disregard other physical hazards and engaged in a lot of high risk activities and behaviors. Didn't occur to me until much later how inconsiderate I could be.

One of the local critical mass groups has some members with reckless attitudes, even under normal conditions. Recently their response to the coronoavirus has been "Why should I worry about something that 98% of people will be immune to or survive?" IOW, "I'm fine, screw the rest of y'all weaklings. The gene pool is better off without you."

When it's one of their own family members or friends, they'll sing a different song. When they're older, assuming they live long enough, they'll be screaming that song.

Locally, I'm seeing little difference in most cyclists. The groups have officially suspended group rides. Unofficially, many are still riding in groups. They'll claim on Strava and social media they're practicing safe social distancing. I've seen them out on rides. They aren't riding any differently -- same close drafting. Even a full bike length or two isn't enough to avoid airborne droplets at 15-30 mph.

The parks and multi-use paths are more crowded than usual. Entire families are home -- off work and school -- and I can't fault them for needing to get the kids outside to blow off some steam. But they're all crowding into the same 5% area of the rather large parks and greenways: those mostly 4' wide sidewalks.

I rode briefly on the MUP to get to and from places a week or so ago and quickly realized it wouldn't be possible to maintain a safe distance. So I shifted to riding rural areas, mostly during off-peak hours. I'm a late starter and enjoy night rides, so often I have the roads to myself. Well, me and the deer.
We've got it under control now. I think that the fact that with social distancing guidelines we're still looking at a possible 70% infection rate put things into perspective.

I've curtailed cycling, not out of worry of catching COVID19 directly (since I don't do group rides anyway) but because even the slight risk of injury carries too much risk if you have to go to ER.
Old 03-30-20, 07:37 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
I'm in Month 15 of Retirement and have no problem doing my Retiree work from home. My last 7-8 years of working as an RN in Quality and Safety data coordination, I was allowed to work remotely but preferred to go in most of the time. Partly because I enjoyed bike commuting.
Had worked in hospital patient care units for three decades plus prior to that but experienced nothing like what is happening now. Not sure that I would be up to the task at this point in my life.
Weekly trip to grocery this morning. 7 - 8 am time period reserved for Oldsters (like me!) and others as appropriate. Feeling like my previous experience working with isolation patients, hand hygiene, sterile procedures, etc. makes it easier to deal with 'social distancing', not touching face, surface and hand sanitizing and everything that goes into grocery shopping during these times. Not crowded this morn at local Kroger - guessing I was in middle of age range. Quite a few older couples shopping. Toilet paper available but no paper towels and absolutely no hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, etc.
Have been able to get out for daily rides (solo or with spouse) when weather has permitted. Longest recent ride 24 miles. Lots of folks in our neighborhood out walking - or, less commonly, biking - on our streets every day. Keeping their distance, mostly, as appropriate.
Old 03-30-20, 10:36 AM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Corona

For the last two weeks I have stayed home. If I need groceries my son and daughter buy and deliver them. Prescriptions are delivered. If I have to go out I wear a mask. I do cycle for 3 - 4 hours at a time in canyons that are hard enough that few cyclists are there. At 77 with multiple underlying medical conditions which are held in check by lots of endurance exercise, I do have a lot of concern. As of this AM the White house medical experts are predicting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths as a best case scenario. Looks like separation is the current best plan.