Old 03-18-20, 09:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 585 Posts
OK, who has the bug?

all this talk about this or that. can we have a thread, just for folks who have the bug? & can we keep this limited to confirmed cases?
Old 03-19-20, 05:28 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
There are 10 times more, nay, 100 times more who have it and haven't been tested . . .
Likes For peterws:
Old 03-19-20, 07:18 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
^^^ this is why everybody needs to act like they have COVID-19 and are contagious. Most of us will never know that we are sick, or feel like it's *just* a cold. Reference Typhoid Mary

I don't know that I have COVID-19 - but I have all the typical symptoms of cold/flu so I'm going to act like I have COVID-19.

COVID-19 testing is limited and really doesn't help doctors and care-givers. OTOH it does help epidemiologists find hot-spots and trends. Most of us should avoid burdening the testing systems, unless things change and the US is able to ramp up testing.

I have no underlying health issues and have no issues breathing, so I'm treat this like a typical cold/flu ... for me that NyQuil, Halls, and other over the counter products to help me feel comfortable. I am being exceptionally attentive to my body right now, more than I've been for past colds/flu.

I was high risk for getting sick after taking two long flights this month. When I got home on Monday morning, I already decided to be hardcore about staying away from others. That doesn't mean that I'm staying inside 100%, I still walk the dogs once or twice a day and take a relaxed ride (like I've done during other cold/flu). I am not shooting snot rockets and hocking loogies; and keeping a signification distance for others while outside. Right now, I have no coughing or sneezing, if uncontrollable coughing or sneezing becomes an issue, I will reconsider my outdoor time.

I won't post all of the links, but I've done a lot of research (including communications with a rider on my club that's an emergency physician) to bring me to this course of action for caring for me and my community.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-19-20, 07:26 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts
I DON"T have the virus. Do have allergies, everything around here is starting to bloom, and when it isn't raining (which lately isn't too often), the pollen is very high. Haven't heard of anyone in our county that has the virus, at least that anyone knows of. Hasn't stopped people from cleaning out paper products off the shelves though. Saw pictures on the news this morning (3/19) of crowded beaches in Florida. Obviously, not everyone is taking this seriously, or maybe just don't care whether they are risking spreading it to others. Didn't see any seniors in the the clip which was shown.
Old 03-19-20, 07:28 AM
Iride01

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 294 Posts
What bug? Influenza? That is the only virus related illness I know that is commonly called the bug.
Old 03-19-20, 07:47 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 217 Posts
For the last 3 days I've felt a little under the weather. No fever, but a warmth and slight congestion in my lungs that usually indicates I'm in the middles stages of flu bug. But with none of the other symptoms. As some has stated above... I'm also somewhat congested in my nose but that one feels like the usual allergies. If I am in fact sick, it is a very mild case. Regardless, I am following all the local guidelines and staying at home. It will be interesting to get tested sometime in the future to siee if this was actually the virus or not. Who knows, maybe not and I'll be really sick in 2 weeks.
Old 03-19-20, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 585 Posts
ok forget it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-19-20, 02:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 763 Posts
Just got checked out Tuesday, although they didn't have enough testing kits at the VA. So they did a regular screening -- vital signs, lots of questions.

The only thing off on my lab work was elevated monocytes, but that's sorta normal for me.

They didn't see any indications I had the coronavirus, so no test.

It's difficult for some of us to know what we're "sick" with because of other health problems. I have an auto-immune disorder (Hashimoto's) that can superficially mimic lots of illnesses. In my case it killed my thyroid (cancer, encapsulated in calcified tissue, no metastasis, fixed with surgery). But it mostly causes chronic inflammatory problems that also resemble psoriatic arthritis.

And I've had pretty uncomfortable sinus inflammation for months, but my doctors are reluctant to prescribe prednisone because of my osteopenia and family history of osteoporosis. My reduced bone density hasn't been responding to large doses of Vitamin D, calcium, etc.

On the plus side, I got referrals to ENT and an allergist. Finally. Been asking for almost two years. But I won't be surprised if the upcoming April appointments are cancelled. I'm betting by April the VA will be swamped with really sick older veterans. If that's the case, I might voluntarily reschedule for later this year. I don't want to risk catching anything, and I don't need to burden the system with what basically amounts to an uncomfortable but non-fatal problem.

And I just switched from Zyrtec to Xyzal, which seemed to help almost immediately. I find it helps to change antihistamines occasionally when one doesn't seem to work anymore.

I also had to pay extra for brand name Sudafed and Primatene tablets for allergies. The generic stuff from Walgreens just wasn't doing the trick. There really are differences between brands, even with supposedly the same ingredients. I dunno whether the generics cheat and don't actually put in the stuff listed on the container, or there's some other factor. But Walgreen's brand pseudo-ephedrine for sinus congestion and ephedrine/guaifenesin for asthma weren't doing a thing.

The problem with chronic allergies, sniffles and snottiness is it's impossible for others to tell the difference. So I'm avoiding most social stuff. Don't want to make my friends nervous. And my immune system is compromised so it's probably safer for me.

Weird thing about my auto-immune disorder -- I rarely seem to get any flu or common colds. Every time I thought it was flu or a common cold the past 20 years, it turned out to be allergies and upper respiratory inflammation related to Hashimoto's. I did end up in the ER with pneumonia about 15 years ago, but I don't even remember that. A cousin found me semi-conscious and trundled me off to the ER where they pumped me full of prednisone and told me to get my pneumonia shot every few years. So far, so good. But the pneumonia was related to the auto-immune disorder, not viruses.

My best guess is my immune system is hyperactive and while it may effectively fight off actual invaders, it also attacks my own body. Probably just bored. That's the problem with a survivalist and siege mentality. When you spend enough time preparing for war, every minor disagreement feels like a provocation. I don't think that way anymore -- I left the whole survivalist End Times way of thinking decades ago when I separated from most of my family, who were kinda religious kooks. But my body still seems to be stuck in that mode.
Old 03-19-20, 07:47 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 113 Posts
I've got plenty of Crane Flies roosting on my house overnight, a real nuisance when you open the front or back door and they're all over it.

Seriously, at work there's been a 'head cold' bug going around, giving folks the usual symptoms of sniffles, cough, and a raspy throat, no fever. I walked in last Monday AM after the symptoms developed over the weekend and got sent home immediately, aa did a number of other people. I've been doing some work from home so they better not charge this week's time on my sick leave. I told them I feel fine and will be back in on Monday.
Old 03-20-20, 12:37 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54.

Woohoo! Nice to be 'notably younger'!!

(vs a different survey I filled out this morning where the final age group was 51-70)

(and I also don't have it afaik; I would be a high risk person though w/ lifelong asthma)
Old 03-20-20, 12:43 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 141 Posts
Seriously, someone started a thread asking Covid-19 positive individuals to out themselves? What on earth for?
Old 03-20-20, 05:46 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Without the needed test data, a shortcoming due to political mishandling, we have no idea as to where the virus is and have to treat it as the worst case scenario. We are staying home in CA except for occasional trips for groceries or drugs and must maintain a minimum of 6 foot separation from others. We are allowed to run and cycle. Tomorrow I will do my 60 miler with 4000 feet of climbing. If I survive I will probably be virus free.
Old 03-21-20, 12:39 AM
Brad L

Bikes: 1959 Fiorelli Campione del Mondo, 1969 Colnago Super, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1983 Gitane Interclub, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2001 Colnago Dream B-Stay, 2007 Trek 1000 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon View Post
Without the needed test data, a shortcoming due to political mishandling, we have no idea as to where the virus is and have to treat it as the worst case scenario.
This site shows the number of confirmed cases county by county. At the time of this posting, there are 19,762 cases in the USA.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 03-22-20, 03:39 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
My best guess is my immune system is hyperactive and while it may effectively fight off actual invaders, it also attacks my own body. Probably just bored. That's the problem with a survivalist and siege mentality. When you spend enough time preparing for war, every minor disagreement feels like a provocation. I don't think that way anymore -- I left the whole survivalist End Times way of thinking decades ago when I separated from most of my family, who were kinda religious kooks. But my body still seems to be stuck in that mode.
Wonderful way of putting it! I have sniffles and explosive sneezes again now, congestion later on in the day. Fondly thought I'd got rid of it but in the light of the present crisis, it seems so little.
I can still ride my bike over the hills though, no problem. And the roads are quieter, too. . . . Miss the girls at the gym since it shut down on Thursday!
Old 03-22-20, 04:34 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 116 Posts
Bug? We have a few ants off and on in our downstairs bathroom.
Old 03-22-20, 08:29 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
^^^ this is why everybody needs to act like they have COVID-19 and are contagious. Most of us will never know that we are sick, or feel like it's *just* a cold. Reference Typhoid Mary

I don't know that I have COVID-19 - but I have all the typical symptoms of cold/flu so I'm going to act like I have COVID-19.
Are you experiencing any loss of taste and/or smell?
Old 03-23-20, 06:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Are you experiencing any loss of taste and/or smell?
I think it'd be hard for me to loss taste; The Toads always been tasteless

I'm dealing with what I'd call typical cold/flu symptoms - congestion, phlegm, body aches, low energy... Basically, since I have cold/flu symptoms, I'm keeping myself super isolated as if I have COVID-19 - It's likely the normal season bug, but until we ramp up testing in the US, I have no way to know.

This Germany research from earlier this month was very insightful.
Most had coughs, but only two developed a fever, the most common symptom reported in other studies. Most symptoms were mild and one person never developed any at all. One patient developed severe pneumonia.

Two of the nine had runny noses, previously reported as a rare symptom of COVID-19. Another four had stuffy noses and reported that they couldn’t smell or taste anything. “In all of our patients, it cleared up, but it was a little bit annoying for two weeks or so,” Wendtner says. “They could order anything they wanted [to eat], but [if] you can’t taste it, it doesn’t matter.”

A temporary lack of smell or taste also affected some SARS patients in 2003, he says. That symptom may indicate that in addition to causing swelling in the nose, the virus may infect nerve cells responsible for identifying odors, he says.

Patients in the study started making antibodies against the virus about six to 12 days after symptoms started. Once antibody production kicked in, researchers still found high levels of viral RNA in phlegm and in nose and throat swabs, but patients were no longer giving off infectious virus.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...-week-symptoms
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-23-20, 02:37 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 164 Posts
I was told I had influenza 'A' in mid-February. Nothing now, and I'm going on the assumption that it really was 'A' and I'm trying to avoid exposure to anything else. My wive did not get sick, but then she rarely does.
Old 03-23-20, 02:48 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Seriously, someone started a thread asking Covid-19 positive individuals to out themselves? What on earth for?
"Out" themselves? It's not like they're gay or something. I'm genuinely curious. How they might have gotten it, how it feels, how they're responding. The more info all of us have, the better.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 03-23-20, 05:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis View Post
"Out" themselves? It's not like they're gay or something. I'm genuinely curious. How they might have gotten it, how it feels, how they're responding. The more info all of us have, the better.
It is exactly like they are gay (or something) and it would be in extremely poor taste to ask someone how they happened to get HIV, or what it feels like, or how they are responding to the retrovirals.
Old 03-24-20, 09:20 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
It is exactly like they are gay (or something) and it would be in extremely poor taste to ask someone how they happened to get HIV, or what it feels like, or how they are responding to the retrovirals.
I don't think so. How is there any social stigma associated with contracting COVID? Some people want to share their stories ... I see no problem in someone asking.

Old 03-24-20, 10:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I don't see the parallel, COVID-19 doesn't effect only one (marginalized) demographic. Consider that contracting COVID-19 is basically, you were somewhere with people - that includes damn near every single person on planet Earth. I had two 8-hour flights this month ... good luck not catching something on an 8-hour flight during normal times.

I frankly don't want to advertise "I'm sick" to everyone (ie Facebook), I'm mildly concerned about employers and government knowing my personal status*. But BF is a relatively anonymous forum. I'd like to understand how people dealing with COVID-19. I've posted (above) my situation to help others. If I was able to confirm that I'm dealing with COVID-19, I'd have no issue sharing that here on BF.

* I'm sure Google knows I'm sick since I use Android and Chrome ... unless you are truly unplugged in the middle of North Dakota, somebody knows that you're sick, and if your isolated in North Dakota, you're not going to be exposed to COVID-19.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-24-20, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,691 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I don't think so. How is there any social stigma associated with contracting COVID? Some people want to share their stories ... I see no problem in someone asking.
Yeah. The thread is merely a vehicle for those wish to discuss. No one is forcing anyone to disclose or discuss anything.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-20, 12:03 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 313 Posts
CT went from 100 cases about 3 days ago to 400 cases today.
Old 03-24-20, 03:31 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
I don't see the parallel, COVID-19 doesn't effect only one (marginalized) demographic.
FWIW, HIV doesn't either.

I think the main relevant difference is that HIV is a permanent retroviral infection (which is now manageable, thanks to a cocktail of antiviral agents), whereas SARS-CoV-2 is an acute +mRNA viral infection that you either clear or get killed by. It doesn't integrate into your genome for life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.