Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

I am worried about food with my limited diet.

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

I am worried about food with my limited diet.

Old 03-19-20, 11:12 AM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I have heard that the reasons the number has spiked so fast is because they can test for it now a lot more than when it first hit in washington.
There's also the fact that we can easily tell who has died, but there are likely tens of thousands of undocumented cases from people who haven't been tested or don't even know they have it. There will probably be thousands and thousands of cases that are never diagnosed because the affected person thought nothing of a minor illness and sought no care. Also the people being tested at this point are the ones most severely affected. The numbers in this early stage are skewed so it seems more fatal than it probably is.

Again, I'm not saying that this isn't a serious world event or anything, just stating the fact that is overwhelmingly not a severe illness for most people. Sorry to have gotten your post brigaded, OP.
Likes For BenzFanatic:
Old 03-19-20, 04:58 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I'm kinda in this 'camp' too. There are raw statistics for numbers infected and deaths (as shown above), but who is dying? The only details I've seen have been from Japan, and its overwhelmingly older folks (70+ y.o.) who already have serious underlying medical conditions, and some from China showing similar to Japan, except a lot of the deaths were also people who were long-time smokers. Those in good health who have got it and recovered seem to be doing well (Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson being the most prominent 'survivors'). I just wish there were more details out there about the condition of those who recovered from it so far, if they'll have any life-long medical challenges; so far most of what's being reported is sensationalized speculation (typical USA media reporting). And yep, no vaccine for it so it can spread quickly in a crowded area like a big city.
It appears we don't yet know all we need to know about this virus. Some say the idea that if you contract it but survive, you now have developed antibodies to protect you from repeat infection. It may not be true.. bad news. That aside, viruses mutate quickly. Like the "season flu" we could be chasing this every year.. also bad news!
Old 03-19-20, 06:06 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
I take fiber pills as much as I can my body if anything hates carbs even more then anything else. it has caused my lifelong heartburn I have found. I have been using fiber pills to help keep my bacteria going.
Again, I'm not a doctor, yet I have my own experiences with poor gut bacteria and poor digestion. To heal your gut and feel better you are going to have to increase your fibre and vegetable consumption and reduce your protein consumption. It may not be a comfortable or easy change to make but that's what you have to do. Try consuming some apple cider vinegar before meals. Slowly at first. Heartburn medications only make things worse. More stomach acid is usually the cure, not less.
Old 03-19-20, 06:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 1,888 Times in 1,202 Posts
Took high powered antibiotics for a an infection a few years ago. Hard ranch work stuff happens The pharmacist ( she is a hottie) but married ( lucky dude ) told me to eat yogurt. Yuck! But I did what she said and ate that yogurt and it gave me the gut bacteria I needed. All was good.
Old 03-19-20, 07:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13859 Post(s)
Liked 5,043 Times in 2,846 Posts
I love Greek or Icelandic yogurt. Not all of them, I read the nutrition label to choose the ones that fit my needs.

Wallaby Aussie is my current favorite, a tub has lots of protein, some fat but not much. And gut bacteria. I put dark chocolate in to sweeten it, unless I have fresh berries. First spoonful, "my god this is delicious," after a while "how am I not out of yogurt yet, I'm so ready to be done." Then I don't need to eat again for hours.
Old 03-19-20, 07:41 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 124 Posts
[QUOTE=AnthonyG;21374673]Again, I'm not a doctor, yet I have my own experiences with poor gut bacteria and poor digestion. To heal your gut and feel better you are going to have to increase your fibre and vegetable consumption and reduce your protein consumption. It may not be a comfortable or easy change to make but that's what you have to do. Try consuming some apple cider vinegar before meals. Slowly at first. Heartburn medications only make things worse. More stomach acid is usually the cure, not less.[/QUOTE
its not a matter of feeling uncomfortable. I wish it was I could live with that. I went a year without being able to eat veggies at all. in just the last several months have I been able to eat them at all and thats being really careful. Hopefully in the future I can eat more. But it is not a matter of feeling a little yucky I will get sick. If I eat something that bothers me too often sometimes 2 or 3 times sometimes it takes weeks I will get weak and I will have flue like symptoms. Hard to breath weakness tiredness tight lungs. Then I have to go back to eating protein only if I donít it will get worse and worse. Till I am so weak I cant even carry things or move fast. I will loose muscle and get weaker and weaker and it gets harder and harder to breathe. I have been through this I bet at least a 100 times over the 25 years this has been happening. Then we have to throw in my super sensitive esophagus from a lifetime of heartburn. If I drank vinegar I would be in agony for days. I canít even in increase my fat intake because it irritates it. I react to all the meds that should help it they actually make it worse.
So I am in a place that I cant get out of by changing my diet. My diet has been whittled down to the bare minimum because I react to everything. I had veggies twice this week without problems. I had some zucchini noddles with butter and garlic and bacon and cheese for breakfast yesterday it was a luxury and I was ok. But if I ate that zucchini three times in a week I would be sick.
Cutting out carbs is the only thing thing that has helped at all. So I hope eventually I can eat more veggies I know I need them. But right now most of my calories come from protein then fat. Not by choice.
I get about 15 grams of fiber a day taking psyllium husks. of course more on veggie days. 6 months after I had to go protein only they finally got around to testing my stomach PH my god that was a horrible experience having a tube going down your nose for 24 hours to monitor it. it was normal but my diet had changed so much by then the test was a waste of time. I have 7000 worth of tests and crap had all my vitamin levels checked my poop and pee in endless tests. no one has a clue.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 03-19-20 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 11:07 PM
AnthonyG

[ My diet has been whittled down to the bare minimum because I react to everything. I had veggies twice this week without problems. I had some zucchini noddles with butter and garlic and bacon and cheese for breakfast yesterday it was a luxury and I was ok. But if I ate that zucchini three times in a week I would be sick.
Cutting out carbs is the only thing thing that has helped at all. So I hope eventually I can eat more veggies I know I need them. But right now most of my calories come from protein then fat. Not by choice.
I get about 15 grams of fiber a day taking psyllium husks. of course more on veggie days. 6 months after I had to go protein only they finally got around to testing my stomach PH my god that was a horrible experience having a tube going down your nose for 24 hours to monitor it. it was normal but my diet had changed so much by then the test was a waste of time. I have 7000 worth of tests and crap had all my vitamin levels checked my poop and pee in endless tests. no one has a clue.

OK, you are a mess.

I can't address everything but a few things I've picked upon. STOP the psyllium now as a matter of urgency. It's absolutely the WRONG fibre to take.
The fibre you want is called Inulin and is available as a supplement. Inulin is the goldilocks fibre that the bacteria in your large intestine needs to live on.

Starches get broken down entirely in your small intestine and are unavailable to feed the bacteria in your large intestine.
Psyllium is too tough and passes right through you undigested and is probably irritating your gut and part of the problem.
Inulin is a fibre that resists being digested in your small intestine but is available to be digested in your large intestine.

Your immune system is going nuts! Definitely supplement with vit D3 to regulate your immune system. Your Doctor, God bless their souls, will tell you to take no more than ONE 1000mg capsule a day. I'm telling you to take 20 a day for a short while until you feel better and then try and reduce them to 6 or 10 if you can. The doctor will have a FIT if you tell them yet there are worse things going on with your health.

I suspect, that you could well have a Black Mould problem where you live and this would explain much. Is there Black Mould hiding (or in plain sight) in your home?
Old 03-20-20, 08:15 AM
fooferdoggie 

I know I am a screwed up mess believe me. no black mold. I can try Inulin been thinking about it. but as usual my wacky body I could not take it every day till I see if my body will accept it. in the last several years I have only found one new thing I can ingest and thats unsweetened almond milk. I was desperate for something to drink besides water and that worked. no clue why. butI mostly use it for sooth my esophagus
Old 03-20-20, 03:50 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 294 Posts
Have you seen someone trained in Functional Medicine? First heal the gut is the cornerstone there, and the people who were trained to use drugs and surgery don't get this training.
Old 03-20-20, 04:45 PM
AnthonyG

I know I am a screwed up mess believe me. no black mold. I can try Inulin been thinking about it. but as usual my wacky body I could not take it every day till I see if my body will accept it. in the last several years I have only found one new thing I can ingest and thats unsweetened almond milk. I was desperate for something to drink besides water and that worked. no clue why. butI mostly use it for sooth my esophagus
Your immune system is going nuts and treating food as an enemy. You will also be chronically inflamed and you need to put out the inflammation.
In healthy people a healthy population of gut bacteria is the front line of a well controlled (not chronically inflamed) immune system.

My recommendation for 20 x 1000mg vit D3 a day is specifically aimed at getting your out of control immune system under control. If Doctors could have helped you then they already would have done so.
Stop the psyllium immediately (its contributing to the inflammation) and lay your hands on some Inulin ASAP.

Some healthy (fibre rich) foods you should try introducing to your diet are, Avocado's, Brown rice and onions.
Old 03-20-20, 09:45 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
Have you seen someone trained in Functional Medicine? First heal the gut is the cornerstone there, and the people who were trained to use drugs and surgery don't get this training.
thats a good idea I am going to a new doc (though that may be delayed) I need to give idea's. to them as they are a bit lost.
Old 03-20-20, 09:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Your immune system is going nuts and treating food as an enemy. You will also be chronically inflamed and you need to put out the inflammation.
In healthy people a healthy population of gut bacteria is the front line of a well controlled (not chronically inflamed) immune system.

My recommendation for 20 x 1000mg vit D3 a day is specifically aimed at getting your out of control immune system under control. If Doctors could have helped you then they already would have done so.
Stop the psyllium immediately (its contributing to the inflammation) and lay your hands on some Inulin ASAP.

Some healthy (fibre rich) foods you should try introducing to your diet are, Avocado's, Brown rice and onions.
I can handle avocado once in awhile but brown rice would kill me. rice for some reason is about the worst grain my body absolutely hates it even a tiny bit of it on something like in a pill I will react to it. I used to be fine with onions but I think the sugar in them really gets me or something does. most of the veggies I used to eat get me pretty well. but I have some inulin on the way.. not sure on the docs the gut docs Neve really listened to me all they were conserved about was my heartburn and since I could not take any of the meds for it I was pretty much written off.
Old 03-26-20, 05:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 813 Posts
OP that's rough. Sounds like you're suffering from exactly the same reasons I stopped doing Atkins. I was able to stop because I was just trying to lose some weight, but with legit medical reasons to eat only protein, that's hardcore. And can't even handle spices? That was key for me, to make cheap ground meat tasty.

I would focus on eggs and cheese. Omelettes are good!
Old 03-26-20, 06:41 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
OP that's rough. Sounds like you're suffering from exactly the same reasons I stopped doing Atkins. I was able to stop because I was just trying to lose some weight, but with legit medical reasons to eat only protein, that's hardcore. And can't even handle spices? That was key for me, to make cheap ground meat tasty.

I would focus on eggs and cheese. Omelettes are good!
ya cheap meat sucks. hell meat suck anyway for me but it is what it is. but for the most art I can't hand melted cheese no clue why also meat cooked in water will get me too. look me a long time to discover that. I just hate how much I have to spend on food. its also harder eating like I have too with so much free time I don't do well with free time. I eat about 1/2 pound of cheese a day it is about 1/3 of my calories and a fair mount of my fat intake.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 03-26-20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 08:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

For many years my energy levels have been really low. My arms would tire in seconds if I had to hold them out. Once I cut the carbs out it raised some I would have enough energy to work as hard as I needed at work but would be out of steam by the end of the day. I was debating on getting a faster e scooter but then found that e bikes would work for me. I went for test rides and I found I could spin on one and go 20 mph. Great that saved me a lot of time on my commute. My first bike was too easy took no effort to peddle at 20 mph and it was just not practical to ride the miles I was riding. So I got a Bosch based bike and it took a bit to peddle at 20 mph. it took awhile before I could work at it. If I did I would be wobbly and run out of steam fast. But it has gotten better I can ride 40 miles at one notch below max assist at the same 20 to 22mph. My arms don't get tired like they used to. I got 208 miles on it last week.