Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

How much longer before Covid shuts down cycling in California?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

How much longer before Covid shuts down cycling in California?

Old 03-25-20, 01:13 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Twenty eight miles this morning, and I would say there was a typical "lunchtime rush" level of traffic... at nine thirty in the morning. I'd like to say that in areas where there are lots of business closures that vehicular traffic is down, but that's simply not the case.

Oh, and drivers are blowing stop signs and red lights at nearly every intersection, in numbers I've never before witnessed. Human beings are the absolute worst.
Are you in a larger master planned community with great distances between traffic controls? Here we have gridlock and I was able to ride to downtown LA, chinatown dodgers stadium, and few other areas over the weekend and it felt safer than riding on the river trails.
Old 03-25-20, 01:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4898 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 943 Posts
Naw, this is the Inland Empire, the very model of urban sprawl. Across the street, suburbia. A quarter mile away, the post office. Half a mile, a gas station. In between, an elementary and a middle school. Everything is closed. The local mall cordoned off their entire parking lot. The two big shopping centers are 90% shuttered-- so the parking lots are almost completely empty-- but there are still cars on the roads absolutely everywhere. I have no idea where any of these people are going, but they're all in a serious hurry to get there.

Traffic is barely reduced even on the residentials. Almost no one is staying home in this area. Roads are still busy, freeways are still busy. The road runs right by my window, and 15 seconds doesn't go by without a car driving past-- and my street is one mile long, with dead-ends at both ends. Traffic seemed lighter on Sunday (but it was Sunday, after all) then sorta picked up Monday and Tuesday. Today felt normal. Like any other day.
Old 03-25-20, 01:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 415 Posts
I am fortunate. Rode 40 miles in the La Habra Heights - Whittier Hills area yesterday. Walkers mostly and a handful of cyclists out on a cloudy day. City of Whittier shut down Murphy Ranch Park/Trails and Turnbull Canyon Park/Trails. LA County shut down all parks and hiking trails.

On the positive side GMR and GRR are closed to vehicle traffic but you can still ride and hike the area. Plan on getting up there Friday. Likely snow-ice on the ridge?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-28-20, 11:30 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I live in Redondo Beach. They closed all of the beach bike paths yesterday. What I am afraid of is that the many casual bike riders will be forced onto the streets and these rides are not up to that. A few will get themselves killed. People are riding cruiser bikes wearing black and riding the wrong way and through red lights.

I'm riding in Palos Verdes. There is a mix of just about everything there, gentle rolling roads along the coast, hills and mostly residential or semi-rural. There is a good 1000 ft hill climb that is a steady 5% with an option to go higher. I'm still exploring route options they are nearly endless. And the pavement is generally first rate
Likes For ChrisAlbertson: