Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Coronavirus/COVID-19 (https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavirus-covid-19/)
-   -   How much longer before Covid shuts down cycling in California? (https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavirus-covid-19/1196130-how-much-longer-before-covid-shuts-down-cycling-california.html)

raceboy 03-19-20 09:53 PM

How much longer before Covid shuts down cycling in California?

I know working from home has cut my miles because I get in plenty of bike commuting. How long til we are locked in completely?

wgscott 03-19-20 09:58 PM

I haven't had a chance to look at the Governor's shelter in place order, but I suspect it mirrors that we have been under in the Bay Area for the last couple of days. It permits getting outside to ride, but you have to maintain social isolation. You aren't supposed to go to work unless you work in some essential service, like a hospital or Tesla plant.

Here is more information, from the source: https://covid19.ca.gov

rseeker 03-20-20 12:20 AM

I just heard an hourly news update on NPR radio that said in Paris "too many people were going jogging and bike riding for long distances", (spoken by the newsreader in a social scold tone of voice which I dislike for its simplistic and conclusory nature) and that some stricter limit was being imposed. Paris isn't California but ideas spread like viruses.

CAT7RDR 03-20-20 08:04 AM

It is not that difficult to ride your bike on residential streets and open space areas to avoid others. I am riding today in LA County and not concerned in the least. I am not getting on MUPS. I will stay out of public gathering areas and businesses are shut down anyway. Should be a great day for riding.

Stay safe everyone!

DrIsotope 03-20-20 08:46 AM

The more rural you get, the less of an issue it's going to be. On my pre-outbreak weekday rides, it was not unusual to have no fly-bys on Strava-- ride for two hours, never cross paths with another bike. Maybe there will be more out there now. A soft maybe.

If they tell me to stop riding, they can get stuffed. My daily rides are my opportunity to get away from people-- I interact with literally no other human for a few hours. At home, I'm cooped up with two high-schoolers whose spring break is now the entire month of April. :twitchy:

TakingMyTime 03-20-20 10:11 AM

Cycling is not going to be frowned upon per the last "directive". I'm not sure if we'll see more people out on their bikes now that they're at home with nothing to do, or conversely, see less bike because they're afraid to go out. Either way, there are a lot less cars on the road right now. My usual minefield of a ride has probably opened up. I hope to give it a try tomorrow.

colombo357 03-20-20 02:06 PM

I just hope the usual road traffic doesn't get replaced with homicidal maniacs.

Staying at home with nothing to do for certain groups of people means lots and lots of drinking.

skidder 03-20-20 02:32 PM

not going to happen, blatant constitutional issues if the government tried to shut down everything (1st amendment - right to assemble). Some industries are under regulatory control (think restaurants), some outdoor assemblies (concerts & such) could have permits and permissions voided, but for the average, everyday stuff like bicycling it'd be a nonstarter. Although I can think of a few good things - limiting assembly size might take some of those annoying, lane-blocking large 'club' ride groups off the roads, and similar with those TT groups in high speed pacelines who think the local 12 ft wide MUP is their workout track.

jimincalif 03-21-20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 21375833)
not going to happen, blatant constitutional issues if the government tried to shut down everything (1st amendment - right to assemble). Some industries are under regulatory control (think restaurants), some outdoor assemblies (concerts & such) could have permits and permissions voided, but for the average, everyday stuff like bicycling it'd be a nonstarter. Although I can think of a few good things - limiting assembly size might take some of those annoying, lane-blocking large 'club' ride groups off the roads, and similar with those TT groups in high speed pacelines who think the local 12 ft wide MUP is their workout track.

I hope youíre right, but our constitutional rights seem to be the last thing on the minds of anyone in government right now.

raceboy 03-21-20 10:45 PM

I’m fortunate enough to be in the WFH crowd. I don’t usually ride on Saturday, but rolled 30 socially distant solo miles today and wound up with 90 of my 100 per week goal. I was surprised by how many riders were out today. We’ll see what next week brings. Ride safe!

DrIsotope 03-21-20 11:46 PM

Another day in #shelterinplace California, another ride, another 0% reduction in traffic. If anything, the amount of cars on the road might have been a little heavier than a typical Saturday. It's absurd. Almost everything is closed, so where are all of these people going?!?

wgscott 03-21-20 11:51 PM

I've noticed that too. Lots of people driving to Santa Cruz from Santa Clara Co. to mountain bike. I have mixed feelings. Some ask me for directions, but thankfully from afar.

ooga-booga 03-22-20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21377820)
Another day in #shelterinplace California, another ride, another 0% reduction in traffic. If anything, the amount of cars on the road might have been a little heavier than a typical Saturday. It's absurd. Almost everything is closed, so where are all of these people going?!?

possibly the beach (or joshua tree np). seems like a ton o' peeps ended up at the beach here in san diego. so much for social distancing...

skidder 03-22-20 10:04 AM

Looked like business-as-usual in Huntington Beach yesterday. The pier was open and plenty of folks strolling on it with no observance of a 6 ft social distance buffer. Most restaurants were open (take-out only). Plenty of folks on the sand, volleyball players galore, and lots splashing around in the surf, too.

TrojanHorse 03-22-20 02:15 PM

This is going to get worse before it gets better, especially if large numbers of people continue to ignore the extreme transmissibility of this virus. I don't know that you can believe the numbers from China, but Italy is at about 55k cases and 5k deaths. 10% is not a reassuring number. California has 10% more cases today than we did yesterday, according to some random data site I'm looking at. I hope those people ignoring the obvious come to their senses.

jimincalif 03-22-20 07:46 PM

Street traffic is way down in OC from what I can tell. I rode Fri, Sat and today, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Irvine, Newport Beach, and even in Laguna Beach. Lots of people and families out walking and riding bikes on MUPs, social distancing seemed to be the norm from what I saw. @TrojanHorse, there are a lot of reasons we are not Italy and even to suspect their statistics. And the mortality rate is dropping as better data comes in, likely less than the normal flu, yet how many donít get flu shots? This thing has likely been in the US since January, people have had it, thought they had the flu and were never diagnosed, so the denominator of the mortality rate is way understated.

Take prudent steps, maintain distance, wash hands, donít touch your face if youíve touched other things until you wash or sanitize them. But donít freak out. We need our country and economy to operate. Shutting it down and creating a world wide depression will kill more people than this virus.

TrojanHorse 03-22-20 09:44 PM

I'm not really talking about "normal" people but there are plenty of people hosting Covid parties,going to the beach and all sorts of activities that are really questionable. Honestly, if everybody stayed home for 2 short weeks this thing would be over with and we could get along with our lives. You can say that CA is over reacting but we had the same number of positives as NY a week ago and today they outpace us by 10x. Hopefully this passes soon.

luismboc 03-22-20 09:46 PM

France has just announced 'no cycling due to Corona'...so, maybe a matter of days/week...

trailangel 03-24-20 07:51 AM

Lots of people out Sunday afternoon... and they were alot friendly than I remember. Even young females smiling and saying 'Hi' to this old man! Unfortunately, I must keep my distance.
Cabin fever is right around the corner.

heresy 03-24-20 02:30 PM

It is me and the trainer for the foreseeable future. I don't want to be "that guy" that has a mishap and requires emergency medical attention during an epidemic.

DrIsotope 03-24-20 02:35 PM

But a "mishap" at any other time is perfectly acceptable? Riding outdoors is about risk assessment. If you don't want to ride outside, don't. But don't blame a virus. The odds of getting hit by a car during a statewide shelter in place directive are no better or worse than when everyone is out on the road.

CommuteCommando 03-24-20 06:18 PM

Not worried. I know my area very well. I can skirt most closures, and can stay pretty isolated in any condition. Shutting down biking makes as much sense as banning all driving, though may be easier to enforce, simply by numbers.

Elvo 03-25-20 12:05 PM

Was able to do 40 miles after work in LA. Barely anyone on the trails or the roads. Went on the SGRT by Irwindale and RHRT and they were nearly empty.

Tycho Brahe 03-25-20 12:15 PM

I am still riding. My "shorter" weekday rides are in Griffith Park and there still are a few people hiking the trails.

I maintain a normal distance and wash my hands when I get home. I have no worries.

DrIsotope 03-25-20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Elvo (Post 21383134)
Was able to do 40 miles after work in LA. Barely anyone on the trails or the roads. Went on the SGRT by Irwindale and RHRT and they were nearly empty.

Twenty eight miles this morning, and I would say there was a typical "lunchtime rush" level of traffic... at nine thirty in the morning. I'd like to say that in areas where there are lots of business closures that vehicular traffic is down, but that's simply not the case.

Oh, and drivers are blowing stop signs and red lights at nearly every intersection, in numbers I've never before witnessed. Human beings are the absolute worst.