Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Coronavirus/COVID-19 (https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavirus-covid-19/)
-   -   City Stay at Home order - bikes are exempted (https://www.bikeforums.net/coronavirus-covid-19/1196508-city-stay-home-order-bikes-exempted.html)

Moe Zhoost 03-25-20 10:46 AM

City Stay at Home order - bikes are exempted

Our Mayor just announced a city-wide stay at home order. During his explanation of the order he specifically identified cycling as an exempted activity. What's more, he stated that bike shops were included under essential transportation activities. They could stay open for repair/maintenance but all drop-off/pickups had to be done curbside.

I watched the whole announcement and am encouraged by the City's thoughtful leadership in the development of a reasonable strategy that will, if followed, slow the spread of this black swan event.

thumpism 03-25-20 11:04 AM

Good for Durham! Knew I liked that town.

indyfabz 03-25-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost (Post 21383007)
Our Mayor just announced a city-wide stay at home order. During his explanation of the order he specifically identified cycling as an exempted activity. What's more, he stated that bike shops were included under essential transportation activities. They could stay open for repair/maintenance but all drop-off/pickups had to be done curbside.

I watched the whole announcement and am encouraged by the City's thoughtful leadership in the development of a reasonable strategy that will, if followed, will slow the spread of this black swan event.

No different than what some others did earlier, including Philly. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :lol:

MattTheHat 03-25-20 11:51 AM

The county I live in made a declaration yesterday. Four pages to basically say "Try not to get or spread the virus."

Oldguyonoldbike 03-25-20 11:54 AM

Norman, OK also declared a "stay at home" order yesterday. Our mayor is a cyclist and I was happy to see that she explicitly included cycling as an allowed activity.

wolfchild 03-25-20 03:09 PM

Our country is also under state of emergency but our government made it very clear that people are allowed to leave their homes and go for walks, hikes, bike rides and other forms of exercise. You just need to use common sense and practise social distancing.

TiHabanero 03-26-20 02:10 AM

In the great state of Michigan, the governor has specifically labeled bike shops as non-essential, and are not exempt. I get around mostly by bicycle and I know lots of others that get about only by bicycle. Our governor is not that bright.

rydabent 03-26-20 08:26 AM

Those that can do-------------those that cant go into politics.

rydabent 03-26-20 08:29 AM

Using common sense and logic which is rather uncommon these days, there is to reason not to let people get out and ride. Solo riding tho would be the logical thing to do. People quickly get cabin fever staying at home.

Sentionc 03-26-20 08:35 AM

Well, I’ve been doing it for several weeks now that I'm sitting at home XD

JayKay3000 03-26-20 12:30 PM

I'm hoping in that people may start biking during this pandemic, realize they enjoy it and continue which may lead to a small % doing their normal commute by bike after the pandemic is over meaning a few less cars being used for jorneys where bike can be used.

Doc_Wui 03-26-20 01:41 PM

Our local bike/walk paths are really nice, with woods, wildlife and water. They are way too crowded now, with so many people idle. I'm just riding in the streets in the future.

Troul 03-26-20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by TiHabanero (Post 21384107)
In the great state of Michigan, the governor has specifically labeled bike shops as non-essential, and are not exempt. I get around mostly by bicycle and I know lots of others that get about only by bicycle. Our governor is not that bright.

BUT you can ride your bicycle. The decision that they closed the cycle shops might have little impact for those that exercise using the bicycle. Also, maybe folks will learn how to fix or tune there own bicycles by themselves using basic tools.

schulz46 03-26-20 09:06 PM

You did mention where you live? I did hear that Chicago just posted this measure.