Old 03-30-20, 10:52 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Dallas County Considers Closing Trails

Dallas county is considering closing parks and trails due to folks NOT socially distancing. Article here: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/publ...tancing-rules/

Hopefully, it does not come to that as other counties in the area, (including the one I live in) may follow suit.
Old 03-30-20, 11:08 AM
katsup

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter & Vintage Mountain Bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
It's already happened in Los Angeles county. The neighbouring counties are starting to follow suit.
Old 03-30-20, 02:09 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 52 Posts
This does not surprise me. The Florida State parks have been closed. My wife and I were hiking each weekend to get out, yet keep away from people. Unfortunately, I guess the parks were being used for social gatherings.

Hopefully, this next comment does not lead to a derailment of the thread, but my daughter moved to Switzerland last year. She's noticed that people follow rules and social recommendations far more than here in the US. I suppose we seem to have a selfish attitude that includes a right to do as we please. We've seen that here in SE Florida with college spring breakers coming here from the northeast during a pandemic. During interviews on the news, some have stated their rights to go as they please.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 03-30-20, 03:29 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 132 Posts
The Green Bay Trail here on Chicago’s North Shore has become completely unusable. Too many people, no way to pass. Just as an example, parents plus five small children, all on a six foot wide strip of asphalt. And same thing another hundred yards on. Dog walkers, with dog on ten foot leash. No one pays any attention, no one has even the concept of yielding right of way. I suppose you could take your bike for a walk, you sure can’t ride it.

Oh yes, City of Chicago has completely closed the Lakefront Path and all the lakefront parks. And the Riverwalk and the 606. Read any of the corona threads here. Everyone thinks their opinion is holy writ, most think they may do as they please. When everyone thinks they are God Jr. it is never long before they meet a man with a badge and a gun.
Old 03-31-20, 07:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 832 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. I'm in Fort Worth and even the Trinity Trail users are ignoring social distancing guidelines. The city just cut down the basketball and volleyball nets. It won't prevent people from playing bball anyway, unless they remove the rims.

I follow most local bicycling groups and many of them are playing games with the guidelines. They'll announce on Facebook they're suspending all group rides indefinitely, but many members continue to meet as usual. They'll post "social distancing ride" on Strava. But I've seen them out riding and they aren't doing anything differently -- still drafting, still elbow to elbow, and even the riders hanging off the back a couple of bike lengths are within the aerosol cloud zone if anyone sneezes or coughs.

Much as I enjoy group rides, casual and faster, I've been basically isolating myself for months due to chronic allergies, asthma and a compromised immune system. I've been riding mostly solo since October. The pandemic hasn't changed much for me.

But Dallas has a whole different vibe from Fort Worth. Some folks on the Dallas Critical Mass page were openly flouting and mocking the pandemic guidelines. Some folks tend to lose sight of the difference between demonstrations to advocate for civil rights, anarchy (which ain't the same thing as chaos or riots, merely an absence of hierarchy), and infringing on the rights of others in the community.

If the hospitals become overwhelmed it's likely city mayors and county commissioners courts judges will crack down with stricter constraints on travel, because a few folks think that because they're young and healthy their actions won't impact the community.

That's part of the problem. The authorities have emphasized this as a personal safety and health issue. But that never works. It's like making cars safer -- for drivers and passengers. But it doesn't help pedestrians and cyclists. Instead, authorities should emphasize community responsibility. But too many people conflate "community" with "communism" and decide their individual wants trump all other considerations.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-31-20, 07:37 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 XT.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 80 Posts
Hiking trails and roads up to the National Monument areas here closed as of sunset today. I ride up to the visitor center and another trailhead quite often and while usually busy on weekends during the week they are lightly used. But ever since the shelter at home orders they have been packed so no surprise they are closing them. And fine with me since the roads will return to being very lightly used instead of moderately lightly used like they have been the last few weeks. I started hiking a few weeks ago when the gym closed but gave that up quickly since there were just too many people on the trails for my comfort level.
Old 03-31-20, 07:50 PM
jim dandy

Bikes: N+6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff View Post
Dallas county is considering closing parks and trails due to folks NOT socially distancing. Article here: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/publ...tancing-rules/

Hopefully, it does not come to that as other counties in the area, (including the one I live in) may follow suit.
Oldgeezerjeff,
Just read that WRL is closed to motor vehicle traffic, but can be accessed by biking or walking to it.
Tomorrow, I’m going to try to ride WRL by biking from the Vally View park north trail to WRL.
Wish me luck.
JD, Carrollton

Burned off 40 miles of fat this morning at WRL ... Dallas Parks has put WRL off limits to motor vehicle traffic .... no parking at the lake or driving the lake roads. Only access is by bike, run, walk. It was creepy quiet. Was able to access the lake via bicycle from a parking lot 7 miles north of the lake.
😉

Last edited by jim dandy; 04-01-20 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Update ... 4/1/20
Old 04-02-20, 12:15 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
shackles with gps locks are next.
Old 04-02-20, 01:24 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
It's already happened in Los Angeles county. The neighbouring counties are starting to follow suit.
Here's the link to the Los Angeles County closure order:

https://parks.lacounty.gov/covid-19/

Biggest cycling impact would be on two riverside trails, the Los Angeles River and the San Gabriel River. Those are l-o-n-g ocean-2-mountain trails with numerous entry and exit points, so not sure how they could keep people off of them. I live in neighboring Orange County, which has the Santa Ana River Trail ('SART') and its still open; not unusual as the County govt is not know for being very proactive. I rode it last Sunday late in the morning and it seemed to have fewer people than normal . . . except for the 3 miles closest to the beach, which had oodles of people jogging, dogwalking, bicycle riding, and all less than 6 ft apart. .
Old 04-02-20, 10:48 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff View Post

My local path has become so congested that I don't dare ride on it anymore. Unpopular opinion, I think all cities need to shut paths down in-order to protect people from themselves. Plenty of other places to cycle and jog.
Old 04-03-20, 06:48 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 61 Posts

Dallas County Considers Closed Trails including most popular Katy and WhiteRock

Old 04-03-20, 08:55 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 189 Posts
Maybe closing parks might be ok but with slim logic since they are outside in the fresh air and sunshine. Closing trail IMO is just plain dumb.
Old 04-03-20, 09:34 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 159 Posts
Closing any open spaces is just short sighted, people are going out for fresh air anyways, this just means they'll be gathering in even tighter quarters at the few places that are remaining open increasing the odds of transference. Sucks this is so communicable but I'm still not going to stay inside 24/7 growing fat on my couch, that just isn't worth it to me. I stay away from my parents and any elderly that could be at risk and I'm willing to take the chances for me and my family to get fresh air and walks, dog walks, rides and hikes in.
Old 04-03-20, 09:39 AM
washed up

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post

Hopefully, this next comment does not lead to a derailment of the thread, but my daughter moved to Switzerland last year. She's noticed that people follow rules and social recommendations far more than here in the US. I suppose we seem to have a selfish attitude that includes a right to do as we please. We've seen that here in SE Florida with college spring breakers coming here from the northeast during a pandemic. During interviews on the news, some have stated their rights to go as they please.
Some societies are more incline to "obey" government commands more than others and has nothing to do with being selfish.
Old 04-03-20, 07:54 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up View Post
Some societies are more incline to "obey" government commands more than others and has nothing to do with being selfish.
I respectfully disagree...selfishness,entitlement and a lack of respect for authority
Old 04-03-20, 08:03 PM
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Cannondale Synapse, Trek 710

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 845 Posts
Thread moved from Foo to Covid19 forum.
Old 04-03-20, 08:22 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 58 Posts
Wow, it's all sounding pretty bleak. Up here the situation is becoming quite severe in some major centers but the number of cases in Canada likely doesnít compare to what folks might be experiencing south of the border.

In the City of Calgary, AB, officials have decided to close some roads off to traffic to allow citizens more freedom to move around and to permit more physical distancing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6744420/r...g-coronavirus/
Old 04-04-20, 11:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 12336 Post(s)
Liked 3,683 Times in 2,060 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
This does not surprise me. The Florida State parks have been closed. My wife and I were hiking each weekend to get out, yet keep away from people. Unfortunately, I guess the parks were being used for social gatherings.

​​​​​​I don't give money
​​​​​​I don't support the needy
​​​​​​Raised in America
​​​​​​Taught to be greedy

De la Soul, No

Old 04-04-20, 12:29 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 146 Posts
People are dumb. Stuff has to be closed. I live in the high peaks region of NY and a couple of weeks ago some woman got lost in the backcountry hiking mount Marcy. It required a whole S&R effort to find her, using resources and bringing people together in an unnecessary way that could lead to the spread of the virus. Then she needed to go to the hospital, which is about the last place one wants to be right now.
Old 04-04-20, 12:43 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post
The Green Bay Trail here on Chicagoís North Shore has become completely unusable. Too many people, no way to pass. Just as an example, parents plus five small children, all on a six foot wide strip of asphalt. And same thing another hundred yards on. Dog walkers, with dog on ten foot leash. No one pays any attention, no one has even the concept of yielding right of way. I suppose you could take your bike for a walk, you sure canít ride it.

Oh yes, City of Chicago has completely closed the Lakefront Path and all the lakefront parks. And the Riverwalk and the 606. Read any of the corona threads here. Everyone thinks their opinion is holy writ, most think they may do as they please. When everyone thinks they are God Jr. it is never long before they meet a man with a badge and a gun.
I'm often struck by how different people's experiences are due to varying local conditions, so if I talk about seeing something differently than you have, I'm not contradicting you, just trying to report what it's like here in NH.

Is Chicago like it is here where basically there's almost no traffic on the streets and too much traffic during peak times on the MUPs?

I just did a 43 mile road ride without getting within 15 feet of another person.

Btw, what I've observed on my local MUP is that pretty much everyone is trying to maintain distance, but that dogs and leashes are mucking it up.
Old 04-04-20, 04:51 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I'm often struck by how different people's experiences are due to varying local conditions, so if I talk about seeing something differently than you have, I'm not contradicting you, just trying to report what it's like here in NH.

Is Chicago like it is here where basically there's almost no traffic on the streets and too much traffic during peak times on the MUPs?

I just did a 43 mile road ride without getting within 15 feet of another person.

Btw, what I've observed on my local MUP is that pretty much everyone is trying to maintain distance, but that dogs and leashes are mucking it up.
Iíll try to answer that but it may be a bit long.

The Green Bay Trail MUP that I would normally use very often is in a dense suburban area but phenomenally underutilized. Except at peak hours in perfect weather it is normally possible to cruise along at 20mph and not bother anyone. Right now it is still pretty chilly and the trail is good for maybe 5mph with frequent braking and maneuvering. Most of those out there have never used the path before. Most have no manners and donít care.
Streets are close to empty in immediately adjoining neighborhoods. Much of the North Shore has adjourned to vacation homes for the duration. Ghost town.

Chicago proper has a lot less traffic than normal but not a ghost town by any means. The now closed Lakefront Path functions like a freeway in rush hour. Traffic is amazingly dense and fast. There are dogs and rollerbladers and brain dead runners and it is utter chaos but it somehow works. Many out of town riders take one look and wonít even try. Even locals try to avoid peak of rush. But it works and moves thousands of people. Even with street traffic reduced and bike traffic reduced there is just no routing that will get commuters downtown with the Path closed. Given that few attempt commuting in Chicago winter itís not made much difference yet. In a couple of weeks bike commuters will just have to drive or take the bus. Or spend much much more time getting to work. Assuming of course there is work to go to.

On a somewhat different tack. Today I rode mostly side streets but did maybe three miles on Sheridan Rd., the highway for fast training groups. Was passed by a group of 5 doing maybe 25mph and by a group of 8 that was really fast - 30mph? My speed was a modest 16 to 18 and I was solo. The 25mph group two of them passed me within 3 inches. Could have kept my hands on bars and reached out with pinky finger and touched them. The 30mph group maybe half of them passed with less than one foot. I do have racing experience and can take this in stride but these riders are idiots. Watched them passing other riders who were clearly startled and frightened. Just as there are new users on the MUP there are many new users on the roads. It wonít take a lot more of this type of behavior to close the roads for recreational use.
Old 04-04-20, 05:15 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
It's a case of "I wouldn't normally be caught dead going for a walk, but hey, gubbmint says it's OK so I'd better go"
Old 04-05-20, 03:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 832 Posts
[QUOTE=63rickert;21400864...On a somewhat different tack. Today I rode mostly side streets but did maybe three miles on Sheridan Rd., the highway for fast training groups. Was passed by a group of 5 doing maybe 25mph and by a group of 8 that was really fast - 30mph? My speed was a modest 16 to 18 and I was solo. The 25mph group two of them passed me within 3 inches. Could have kept my hands on bars and reached out with pinky finger and touched them. The 30mph group maybe half of them passed with less than one foot. I do have racing experience and can take this in stride but these riders are idiots. Watched them passing other riders who were clearly startled and frightened. Just as there are new users on the MUP there are many new users on the roads. It wonít take a lot more of this type of behavior to close the roads for recreational use.[/QUOTE]

I've seen some of that too. It's a lost cause expecting folks who routinely participate in activities that flirt with injury and death to be concerned about microscopic cooties that *might* do something or other. Even when they get it intellectually, the very quirk in the personality that makes it seem okay to buzz bystanders within inches without fear of repercussions will also inure them against any instinct for self preservation. These folks are much bigger risk takers than professional athletes because they do it for the thrill rather than a paycheck or even recognition. Nobody will ever remember them for how "brave" they were on a bicycle. No different in many ways from the drivers who buzz cyclists for a thrill.

I stopped riding with one local fast group last year for the same reason. Recklessly blowing through intersections without calling out whether it's clear, nobody calling out road hazards, unnecessarily buzzing obstacles such as traffic cones within inches without warning people drafting, etc. And they were still riding in groups last week when I saw them on the opposite side of the highway from me. On Strava some of them posted it as "socially distanced ride," but, nah. That isn't possible. Even the guys leaving a bike length or two at the back are riding into the droplets or aerosol cloud left by the guys in front if one of them coughs, sneezes, blows a snot rocket or just drools a bit or has a runny nose.

And chances are they won't be the ones to suffer even if they do get the infection. They'll probably recover. It's the others they come into contact with who are at risk. Because if they're willing to take that kind of risk on a bike, they won't think about other folks in other situations.
Old 04-08-20, 08:05 AM
washed up

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts View Post
I respectfully disagree...selfishness,entitlement and a lack of respect for authority
...or I can live my own life and if I want to take a quick spin on the mountain bike trail by myself harming no one I am not going to listen to a government employee who sits behind a desk all day telling other people how to best live their lives.
Feel free to obey your government overlords...I'll live my own life.

Is this what you are advocating? ridiculous.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-kid-park.html
Old 04-08-20, 07:36 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 97 Posts
I spent 20 years in law enforcement and other 10 years in corporate security dealing with people at every level of social status,nationality,race,creed.....you live your life and I will live mine but much of the worlds problems stem from selfish,greed and a lack of respect for authority
Likes For 257 roberts:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.