Old 04-11-20, 07:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 588 Posts
Riding masked

who's started doing this, not for alergies but for the virus?

if so, what are you using? didn't start this thread for a debate about whether or not to wear one, but rather, if you are, what are you using?

been thinking about my options. I have a cpl things, considered some other things, & ordered yet even more things. I expect at some point, in some areas, I might want to ride with a mask. but gonna try harder to ride further away from ppl for now

but thinking ahead ... what is good to use?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-13-20 at 05:55 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-11-20, 08:26 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
For me, it's a matter of matching the circumstance to the need. I plan my rides when and where I expect to be mostly alone, perhaps a human or pair every 1/2 mile and a reasonably wide area. At that rate, I don't see a need to wear a mask but I bring one along. If I see heavier volume I wear the mask or head back if necessary. When I stop, I find a place where I can be a safe distance from everyone. BTW, I've also stopped resting where I think someone else may have been recently.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 04-11-20, 08:48 AM
willibrord

Bikes: steel but the next will be bamboo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
I saw a video (can't remember where) of some cyclists in Beijing or one of those similarly polluted Asian cities, wearing some kind of respirator type mask. They originally were wearing them for pollution, but were continuing to wear them for virus reasons. My understanding was those masks make it difficult to breathe, especially when breathingn hard. If they work they might be a good solution for cycling in a pandemic.
Old 04-11-20, 08:52 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts
I always ride masked.

Growl

Hungry

This was too dangerous to ride.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 04-11-20, 08:54 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 110 Posts
I think wearing a mask on a bike is overkill. Around here there's plenty of free space to ride. Riding close to walkers or other cyclists occasionally is very low risk as the total time in close contact is minimal.

Wearing a proper N95 mask is uncomfortable for normal activities I think it would be unbearable for exercise - worse than riding a trainer indoors.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 04-11-20, 08:54 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 535 Posts
sounds unpleasant
How to exercise with a face mask

And then there is the oozing. “Exercising in a face mask will create a warm and humid microclimate around your face” as the mask traps your exhaled breaths, says Dr. Grant Lipman, a clinical professor of emergency medicine at Stanford University who studies extreme athletes and wilderness medicine. In effect, the mask turns the bottom half of your face into a “mini-sauna,” he says, leading to a buildup of sweat under the mask and a related rise in nasal secretions.

The result can feel “unpleasant,” he says, if, like so many of us, “you find the sensation of mucus pouring down your face to be unpleasant.” When he and his colleagues studied the effects of wearing a facial covering at night to make breathing more difficult and feign being at altitude, almost half of the participants reported that they could barely sleep because of the “copious nasal secretions” produced under their masks, he says.
On my 20-25mi road rides I don't encounter others outside of vehicle so I don't, but if I decided I needed to hit the MUPs I would.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 04-11-20, 10:10 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 70 Posts
I simply hold my breath as I pass people on the MUP. A form of hypoxic interval training, I guess.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 04-11-20, 11:55 AM
metroblis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it's a good idea to wear a mask when riding, especially if there are any people around. You're covering more ground (and air) than a pedestrian. At speed, you're encountering more potentially contaminated particles, and pulling them deep into your lungs with vigorous breaths. (For those with mild allergies to pollen, compare how much worse your allergies are after a ride or run than after a walk. That's because you're ingesting more particles.)

Also keep in mind that in still or mostly still air, droplets from breathing can linger in the air, hovering or swirling about. I got nervous the other day when passing through a gulch where the air was quite still and a bunch of people had congregated. That's when I reached my decision to wear a mask the next time I was out.

Remember, you don't necessarily need an N95 mask to get protection, even a layer or two of fabric would be better than nothing. Whatever you use, be sure to remove it carefully before washing it or discarding it, and wash your hands, and finally your face, with soap and hot water.

Stay distant & safe everybody!
Likes For metroblis:
Old 04-11-20, 03:07 PM
justbike

Bikes: Felt Z85 Road Bike, Trek Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny because I was asking myself the same question....
Old 04-11-20, 05:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
I actually tired this with an official fancy N95 mask. We have a large supply from work so I took one to try.

A couple of things.

It was DAMN hot!
It was much more labored to breath when under load
did I mention it was hot?
After about 15 miles it just became annoying and very uncomfortable. I think a scarf type mask might still be ok as far as comfort but really offers not a high quality protection.
I will go without from now on, I will just be sure to be as alone as possible.
Old 04-11-20, 05:48 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Would you wear a mask riding here (5th Avenue in Manhattan)?

Old 04-11-20, 06:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 12461 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,142 Posts
Makes it hard to breathe. I tried during heavy wildfire smoke. For this, it's better just to plan a route that will let you be away from other people.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-11-20, 10:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 805 Posts
This is the only thing that is a threat where I ride. Sometimes I wish there were some serious cyclists around to form a group but right now I’m content being the only one. Anyways this breed of bovine has a bad disposition.

This is my road puny human on that bike.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 04-11-20 at 10:14 PM.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-11-20, 10:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 879 Posts
I don't ride in a mask, I don't go on walks/runs in a mask. Because I go for rides/walks/runs when and where people aren't. That's not even virus related.

I ride/walk/run seven days a week, rain or shine, hot or cold. Most people are lazy. Avoid the times for early dog walkers and joggers, and it's as empty as it's ever been out there.
Old 04-12-20, 03:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3718 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 872 Posts
I see so few people while I'm riding it's not an issue. I might encounter a couple of joggers or cyclists in a typical 20-40 mile ride.

That's actually more than usual. With so many people off work out of school, or unable to otherwise occupy or entertain themselves, I'm seeing more people than ever using the MUP (which I've avoided for 2-3 weeks), and even along my usually sparsely populated rural rides. I'm betting some folks are finally motivated to keep those New Year resolutions to exercise more.

I have worn a paper surgical mask in cold dry winter weather to reduce sinus pain. That's why I already had a box full of paper surgical masks -- I buy 'em every two or three years for occasional use in winter. But as other folks have described, even surgical and dust masks are uncomfortable in warm conditions with anything more than light physical effort. I wear a mask while shopping and quickly feel sweaty and overheated.

Years ago I had to wear a proper respirator on the job for inspections and that was incredibly uncomfortable. Just the effort of walking around for a couple of miles through non-air conditioned manufacturing facilities made heat exhaustion a serious risk with respirators. It takes awhile to acclimate and even then it's necessary to limit exposure to 15-30 minutes at a time.

Anyone who feels the need to wear respiratory protection while exercising should figure out a way to stay cool. Keep sessions short, wear an ice vest (you can rig your own with ordinary gel type chilled packs), drink plenty of liquids, carry some cool water to douse yourself.

There's also a risk of creating other health problems, by wearing a miniature humidor for cultivating bacteria, fungus, etc.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-12-20, 07:18 AM
Tony P.

Wearing a mask (riding or otherwise) doesn't require the mask to be worn constantly. When riding away from others it seems unnecessary and even foolish to wear a mask. Conversely, pulling a mask up when approaching someone is easy to do.

The mask isn't just worn to protect us, it's also to protect others and even a symbolic gesture to show we're doing what we can. For comparison, when I shop and see someone not wearing a mask in a food store I assume that person is an idiot but also selfish.
Old 04-12-20, 08:43 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Almost everyone here uses basic surgical masks.

Last edited by SHBR; 04-12-20 at 07:06 PM.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 04-12-20, 01:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 801 Posts
Now, a Bandanna across your nose and mouth does not put you on the suspect list of AntiFa ..

maybe combine it with this one ...
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 04-12-20, 01:53 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by vol View Post
Would you wear a mask riding here (5th Avenue in Manhattan)?
In downtown NYC with NYC's current density of SARS-CoV-2 cases? You bet I would.
Old 04-12-20, 02:11 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 246 Posts
All B.S.. Wait another few weeks and observe the thousands getting other respiratory sickness or complications from wearing their scum snot laden or filthy uncleaned homemade useless mask.

Just like the scenario for those on CPAP machines prescribed by their doc's. Most don't maintain nor clean them as mandatory, so they end up having bigger health issues.
Old 04-12-20, 02:13 PM
crank_addict
Banned

If you feel the need, a mask is useless. Use a 'respirator type filter', replaceable HEPA elements. Example would be like one used in auto body work. Shave off facial hair, proper fitment to face. Use full wrap safety goggles.

Last edited by crank_addict; 04-12-20 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 02:44 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
a symbolic gesture to show we're doing what we can. For comparison, when I shop and see someone not wearing a mask in a food store I assume that person is an idiot but also selfish.
So its a gesture, too... hmmm. And I'm seeing employees at large grocery stores in populated Chicago and metro area- NOT WEARING mask. The day of busy shoppers prior to the big Easter weekend.

So, in your opinion- they're defined as idiots and selfish.

I rather think its priming stores for easy theft. Thieves are leaving phones at home (no tracking) and now get to be mask robbers without detection.

Firsthand knowledge from one at the FBI, the real reason why govt has been very reluctant on promoting mask wearing. Chicago super high tech cam facial recognition systems- (mega investment) have become useless to crime.

BTW: You won't hear about it in the news but theft crime right now is soaring. Security firms are desperately needing help. Big retailers are doubling up for security personnel. Another big expense to the retailers.

Good luck
Old 04-12-20, 02:46 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 72 Posts
I wouldn't bother wearing a mask while riding unless it became mandatory. In other situations like the grocery store, sure if I could get one. You can't get them here.

Here is a 9 minute podcast from the BBC on wearing masks, surgical and home made, offering different points of view.

BBC - More or Less
Likes For skookum:
Old 04-12-20, 04:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 588 Posts
did a long, windy, chilly ride yesterday on the coast. for the 2nd 1/2 half, I wore a thin balaclava that is advertised as being breathable. I wore it for the warmth, but since I had it on I thought I would try it over my mouth for a while. but the "flow" wasn't cutting it for me. so that's a fail

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-13-20 at 05:53 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-12-20, 04:22 PM
Tony P.

Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
So its a gesture, too... hmmm. And I'm seeing employees at large grocery stores in populated Chicago and metro area- NOT WEARING mask. The day of busy shoppers prior to the big Easter weekend.

So, in your opinion- they're defined as idiots and selfish.

I rather think its priming stores for easy theft. Thieves are leaving phones at home (no tracking) and now get to be mask robbers without detection.

Firsthand knowledge from one at the FBI, the real reason why govt has been very reluctant on promoting mask wearing. Chicago super high tech cam facial recognition systems- (mega investment) have become useless to crime.

BTW: You won't hear about it in the news but theft crime right now is soaring. Security firms are desperately needing help. Big retailers are doubling up for security personnel. Another big expense to the retailers.

Good luck
I can't tell what you're saying. Is it that store workers aren't wearing masks because of theft. Or is it that non-criminals shouldn't wear masks because of theft. Or is it that given the choice between stopping people dying from COVID-19 or having a criminal rob a store, you prefer dying. Or maybe the FBI thinks Dr. Fauci is in the Mafia because he's of Italian decent and wants everyone to wear masks.

You are correct; I don't hear in the news about theft but that's because most people believe death is a bigger story.

Here's the thing; people should wear masks to protect others according to the USA's foremost authorities. In my view, yes, anyone who hears that and doesn't wear a mask while thousands are dying and is an idiot or selfish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.