Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

You used to go to the gym, and now you can't ...

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

You used to go to the gym, and now you can't ...

Old 04-14-20, 06:41 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
No restrictions on solo bike riding here. Now if only the weather would cooperate (snow yesterday, 25+ mph winds, etc.). We've had one day where it got to 60F for the first time since October. Now it's back to 20s and 30s for another week.
Same in Chicago, but a little warmer. Probably good to keep folks in for another week.

Was consistently going to the gym 2x a week before this. Now walking a mile or more almost every day and doing core exercises. Have a stationary trainer and my wife has a Concept II rower. Been on a couple of shorter rides since this madness began.
Old 04-14-20, 10:54 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I've been going to the gym 12 years, but there were a couple times my membership lapsed for about a year; financial issues in 2012 & 2016. In 2012 I took a couple semesters of weight training at Long Beach City College to use the gym and used the mini gym in the estates I lived in. I was walking then, but cut it down to 10-15 miles/day, so that was my cardio. In 2016, I started riding again, but a three wheeler for brain injury reasons I can't explain... after my major 1991 motorcycle accident my brain injury dates back to, I earned a class M1 and rode 50,000 miles on two wheel motorcycles. Nonetheless, I crashed a softail in 1999, and haven't rode a motorcycle since. I've been pedaling a three wheeler, and it is more of a workout. In 2016, between gyms, I optimized the weight resistant equipment in Long Beach parks, in addition to pedaling a few thousand miles/year. However, in 2017 I broke my hip crashing a two wheel mountain bike. I had the traditional total hip replacement that requires longer recovery. I did minimum exercise for 6 months including band resistant exercises physical therapy taught me, and stationary bike. Afterwards I stepped up pedaling to ~5,000 miles/year and Medicare started paying my gym membership. March 16 was my last gym day before the closure, but I had laparoscopic surgery on my colon, March 23, and a couple weeks recovery after. Now I've got clearance to resume normal activity; I ride my trike again, do push ups and pull ups. I'm just easing back into activity; my colon is not 100% healed yet, but grateful I can do some exercise. Hopefully the gyms will open soon.
Likes For beach_cycle:
Old 04-15-20, 05:02 AM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 5075 Post(s)
Liked 4,375 Times in 2,462 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I don't need gym membership to maintain strength and fitness. I have more than enough equipment at home to do full body workouts and I continue to ride my bike outside. Use your imagination and think outside the box, there are so many ways to keep fit without going to a gym.

I like the gym because it has equipment I don't have room for, I like it as a destination for getting out in the winter, and some of the socializing is pretty nice. I don't spend a lot of time there this time of year, but I miss it, especially on rainy days, but that's nothing to compare how much I miss seeing my adult sons regularly.

​​​​​​I don't know what it will take for me to feel comfortable going back to the gym when it reopens, it looks like it's going to be a while.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-20, 11:23 AM
Kimbo27

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Active rehab...in the comfort of my living room via video chat.
Old 04-15-20, 11:45 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I also enjoy the gym for the same reasons. The equipment I don't have room for, a destination for something to do, and some of the socializing are all great reasons for me. Rainy days... I ride my trike to the gym and prefer the days without cold, rainy, and/or windy weather. Just harder to get going, but always happy afterwards!

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I like the gym because it has equipment I don't have room for, I like it as a destination for getting out in the winter, and some of the socializing is pretty nice. I don't spend a lot of time there this time of year, but I miss it, especially on rainy days, but that's nothing to compare how much I miss seeing my adult sons regularly.

​​​​​​I don't know what it will take for me to feel comfortable going back to the gym when it reopens, it looks like it's going to be a while.
Old 04-15-20, 03:27 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 557 Posts

Everybody has different needs. Personally I don't need gym machines or much equipment to maintain strength and fitness. I don't have room for a lot of stuff because I live in small high rise apartment. I just have the basics which allow me to do everything I need. My approach to fitness is a little bit unconventional and I don't follow any mainstream fitness trends or workouts.... Here is a list of workout equipment I have: a barbell with 350 pounds of plates, a pair of portable squat stands, a pair of 70 pound kettlebells a pair of 60 pound kettlebells, a pair of 53 pound kettlebells, a pair of 45 pound kettlebells, a pair of 35 pound kettlebells, TRX, a few different resistance bands, 35 pound clubbell, 25 pound clubbell , 10 pound clubbell, 15 pound mace, 10 pound mace, 22 pound mace. All this stuff is easy to store and doesn't take much room. I also live on the 12th floor which allows me to do some serious stair climbs with weights. I am also free to go outdoors to ride my bikes and exercise in local parks. Why would I pay for a gym , what's the difference between doing squats at home or doing them at a gym ??
Old 04-15-20, 04:13 PM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Everybody has different needs. Personally I don't need gym machines or much equipment to maintain strength and fitness. I don't have room for a lot of stuff because I live in small high rise apartment. I just have the basics which allow me to do everything I need. My approach to fitness is a little bit unconventional and I don't follow any mainstream fitness trends or workouts.... Here is a list of workout equipment I have: a barbell with 350 pounds of plates, a pair of portable squat stands, a pair of 70 pound kettlebells a pair of 60 pound kettlebells, a pair of 53 pound kettlebells, a pair of 45 pound kettlebells, a pair of 35 pound kettlebells, TRX, a few different resistance bands, 35 pound clubbell, 25 pound clubbell , 10 pound clubbell, 15 pound mace, 10 pound mace, 22 pound mace. All this stuff is easy to store and doesn't take much room. I also live on the 12th floor which allows me to do some serious stair climbs with weights. I am also free to go outdoors to ride my bikes and exercise in local parks. Why would I pay for a gym , what's the difference between doing squats at home or doing them at a gym ??
I think you nailed it with your first sentence. I'm definitely not going to tell you that you need a gym.
Old 04-16-20, 03:19 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
hard to even find weights, barbells and stuff in stock
Old 04-16-20, 03:32 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked 2,274 Times in 1,470 Posts
The chainsaw and weed eater and heavy work on my small place is a full body decimation workout . But yeah the bikes are great for lower body while the upper body needs some kind of workout. After manual labor for about 8-10 hours the only workout I want is 16 once curls My last venture into serious weight training ended up with triple hernia surgery at 47 now at 52 I just want to look decent I don’t care how much I can or cannot lift. Ok maybe a little bit
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-17-20, 08:34 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 168 Posts
Whatever you do, just don't go to the playground to use the monkey bars for pull ups. You could get fined for that. Not kidding.

Personally, between running and solo riding, both trails and road, I get plenty of cardio workout, though I do miss the group runs and group rides. I've my own gym at home, so no change there.
Old 04-17-20, 09:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,441 Posts
Same as always -- working out at home. Same body weight, resistance, range of motion and flexibility exercises I usually do. I use large plastic jugs filled with water. Threw out my dumbbells years ago, they didn't do anything I couldn't improvise. Only thing I'm lacking is a pull up bar -- hard to find one that won't destroy an apartment doorway.

But I've been taking it a bit easier the past couple of weeks after falling off my bike. Slow speed slip on an icy puddle (temperature was in the 50s, so I wasn't expecting ice), landed on my right side. Didn't re-injure my shoulder, which was broken and dislocated a couple of years ago when I was hit by a car. But did bruise my ribs. I continued my usual workout for a week but it was making things worse so I'm taking a couple of weeks off, just doing a few exercises that don't strain the ribs.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-17-20, 10:06 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Same as always -- working out at home. Same body weight, resistance, range of motion and flexibility exercises I usually do. I use large plastic jugs filled with water. Threw out my dumbbells years ago, they didn't do anything I couldn't improvise. Only thing I'm lacking is a pull up bar -- hard to find one that won't destroy an apartment doorway.

But I've been taking it a bit easier the past couple of weeks after falling off my bike. Slow speed slip on an icy puddle (temperature was in the 50s, so I wasn't expecting ice), landed on my right side. Didn't re-injure my shoulder, which was broken and dislocated a couple of years ago when I was hit by a car. But did bruise my ribs. I continued my usual workout for a week but it was making things worse so I'm taking a couple of weeks off, just doing a few exercises that don't strain the ribs.
Guy, I've been there. It's hard to explain a rib injury, it's something you have to experience. I'd say give yourself more healing time.
But, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 04-17-20, 11:51 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 65 Posts
After going to a gym for many years, my wife and I finally built a small workout room in the basement of a new house addition we built last summer. It's still lacking a few weights, but we now have a Lemond recumbent bike trainer, an old wind trainer, and a treadmill for our cardio workouts. It's not 100% finished yet, but it's getting there. It beats going to the gym, especially during the cold months. I've also managed to get in about a dozen outdoor rides so far this spring, so all is good!
Old 04-18-20, 12:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 14433 Post(s)
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,803 Posts
One of the forum members, @exmechanic89 simply rented the gym.

Well, not the whole gym, but he hauled two of his favorite spin cycles home to set up in the living room for himself and his wife. A plus for both himself (short-term rental of excellent quality equipment), as well as for the gym (still generating income with the doors closed).
Old 04-18-20, 01:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15240 Post(s)
Liked 6,457 Times in 3,654 Posts
I don't understand why cyclists would go to a gym to ride indoor bikes, or for treadmills. If you ride even semi regularly, your CV system is already in good shape. Lifting weights is good for everybody, but especially for road cyclists. If you expect to age, resistance training is your friend.
Old 04-18-20, 01:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 14433 Post(s)
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I don't understand why cyclists would go to a gym to ride indoor bikes, or for treadmills. If you ride even semi regularly, your CV system is already in good shape. Lifting weights is good for everybody, but especially for road cyclists. If you expect to age, resistance training is your friend.
Yeah, my thoughts too. But, there are a few reasons I've heard including off-season, and not liking roads and local drivers.

The gym that one of the BF members does "spin classes" at has both session challenges and monthly challenges. So, there may be significant benefits over plodding along commuting.
Old 04-18-20, 04:13 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 557 Posts
I agree...It's pointless to go to gym and do cardio when already riding a bike...It would be better to use gym time to maintain strength and muscle than waste time on cardio.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-19-20, 11:18 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I bought a sit-up bench and a pair of dumbbells so I could do a limited workout in the living room. Bicycling is my cardio.
I just gave away my weights to a lady at the gym, shortly before it closed . . . . I never needed them when I went there.
Likes For peterws:
Old 04-19-20, 04:59 PM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

I use the elliptical at the gym in the winter when I don't like to ride or when my big rides get rained out.
Old 04-19-20, 05:00 PM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

Originally Posted by peterws View Post
I just gave away my weights to a lady at the gym, shortly before it closed . . . . I never needed them when I went there.
Classic no good deed goes unpunished.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-19-20, 06:36 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 121 Posts
Pain at 24Hour Fitness, more to follow:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/18/24-h...-pandemic.html
Old 04-20-20, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

Originally Posted by grizzly59 View Post
Pain at 24Hour Fitness, more to follow:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/18/24-h...-pandemic.html

From the article, sounds like this has been coming for a while, CV shutdown just sped up the crisis.
Old 04-20-20, 11:17 AM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Home Workouts

I am using bands and body weight exercises like push ups and pulls ups to maintain upper body strength. I built this temporary pull up station. My budget is 100 pulls ups per week.
Likes For JoeMan:
Old 04-20-20, 04:37 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
hard to even find weights, barbells and stuff in stock
Yes it is. Couple weeks ago I tried to find a couple 25lb plates to add to my set. Couldn't find any. So I guess a lot of people that worked out at a gym, decided to buy weights to workout at home. Businesses that sell weights, weight sets, and other exercise equipment have been doing well, since the gyms closed down. I just have to wonder if there are going to be lots of plates, and weight sets for sale when things open back up.
Likes For Alzerbster:
Old 04-21-20, 06:56 AM
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat

Originally Posted by Alzerbster View Post
Yes it is. Couple weeks ago I tried to find a couple 25lb plates to add to my set. Couldn't find any. So I guess a lot of people that worked out at a gym, decided to buy weights to workout at home. Businesses that sell weights, weight sets, and other exercise equipment have been doing well, since the gyms closed down. I just have to wonder if there are going to be lots of plates, and weight sets for sale when things open back up.

Pretty safe bet. That stuff is usually hard to get rid of.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.