Old 05-26-20, 02:40 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
On thew way home from this morning's ride I passed a 24-hour gym that runs in unattended mode after hours; members get a keycard or passcode or something. There was a sign on the door that said:

If you are using the facility while unattended, you affirm that:

1. You don't have a fever.
2. You don't have any signs or symptoms of Covid-19.
3. You will clean and sanitize any places and pieces that you use during your visit.

I can see someone trying to remember which plates they used. Well, they're late for work anyway, and when did traffic start getting this bad this early? That's probably good enough, they'll do a better clean-up next time.
You're much much safer in an empty gym, than one in which people are huffing and puffing and breathing hard. Just wipe everything with disinfectant wipes before you touch them.
Old 05-26-20, 02:50 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
You're much much safer in an empty gym, than one in which people are huffing and puffing and breathing hard. Just wipe everything with disinfectant wipes before you touch them.
Of course, the person coming in 5mins later, into a space where we were just wheezin' and puffin' ... he/she ends up much more likely to catch airborne stuff.

It'll be fun to see how the coming two or three months goes, with the infection rates in communities where re-opening of gyms has begun. I'm assuming the health departments and the CDC will be tracking this sort of thing as much as is possible to track it.
Old 05-26-20, 04:24 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Of course, the person coming in 5mins later, into a space where we were just wheezin' and puffin' ... he/she ends up much more likely to catch airborne stuff.

It'll be fun to see how the coming two or three months goes, with the infection rates in communities where re-opening of gyms has begun. I'm assuming the health departments and the CDC will be tracking this sort of thing as much as is possible to track it.
Yeah, I have no idea how much it would dissipate in 5 mins. I have read the critical contact time is 15 mins, thats obviously an educated guess, not a fact, and it doesn't mean 14 minutes is safe.

I certainly have no intention of going near a gym for the forseeable future.
Old 05-26-20, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
movies last night

How much power did it take to show that movie???
Old 05-26-20, 08:57 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts

Yes, the airborne stuff.

It's also worth noting this gym's procedure ignores asymptomatic transmission.

It was 7AM and they had 8 or 10 people working out. Not a super-huge place, much smaller than a Planet Fitness.

I think there's going to be pressure to play games with numbers as actual cases continue to rise. A 1% fatality rate applied to the entire U.S. population is .. a lot of people.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 05-26-20, 10:08 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 1,050 Posts

Wishful thinking/ The CDC will be completely overwhelmed. In a few weeks we are going to have a mess on our hands. Not everywhere. But there will be second peaks for places already hit hard and a lot of new places that had seemed relatively safe.

I hope to be proven wrong. But this looks way too much like the parachuter who notes his speed reduction from given fatality to a nice slow drift and decides the chute has done its work nicely and he doesn't need it anymore. Or dollars which are easy to measure are far more important than a few tens of thousands of lives.

Ben
Old 05-26-20, 11:21 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
... where re-opening of gyms has begun. I'm assuming the health departments and the CDC will be tracking this sort of thing as much as is possible to track it.
Wishful thinking/ The CDC will be completely overwhelmed. In a few weeks we are going to have a mess on our hands. Not everywhere. But there will be second peaks for places already hit hard and a lot of new places that had seemed relatively safe.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. A data point (reported 'confirmed' infection) by place of infection (ie, zipcode). Not difficult.

Of course, complete capture presupposes sufficient testing of everyone, which hasn't happened yet. Though, if someone reaches the point of being symptomatic and getting into the healthcare/hospital system then they're highly likely to get tested and 'confirmed' if appropriate.

No way to know whether there'll be new surges, though I suspect so in areas where there haven't been many infections.

Truth is, however, many are afraid of this thing and are taking precautions as best they can. One good result from this thing is the improved awareness and general increase in precautionary steps by individuals. That's something. And I suspect it'll have long-lasting implications, so long as people continue a heightened stance (distancing, a mask, sanitizer, caution on touching surfaces, avoiding closer spaces, avoiding unnecessary outings, and so forth).

In my own community and region, which is generally resistant as I've seen to heavy-handedness by officialdom, there is a huge incidence of use of masks, of keeping distant from others, etc. I've used hand sanitizer coming and going from the car, for example, for years. Lately, I've seen most people doing this. And with many (even most?) businesses implementing basic additional hygienic stations and procedures at places of business, and with increased awareness, and with the most-at-risk groups being extra-cautious, it simply won't be like the first couple months of the year. Not unless everyone throws caution to the wind and says "To hell with it."

Fact is, though, in the U.S. for example, we simply cannot continue to operate a $22T/yr economy at "half staff" interminably while operating the cash printing presses at full steam. Little production and much consumption is a recipe for disaster. Ain't gonna work, for much longer. That "invisible hand" is going to smack us upside the head, before long. Economic truths will get their way, in the end, down that road. No matter what one imagines or knows to be true about illness or risk.
Old 05-27-20, 04:37 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
How much power did it take to show that movie???
ok
Old 05-28-20, 06:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
ok
Wrong!!!! 1.21 GIGAWATTS

Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-28-20, 11:01 PM
rseeker

Wrong!!!! 1.21 GIGAWATTS
Wow, I didn't zoom in enough to see what movie it was before. Well played, sir.
Old 05-29-20, 09:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
Wow, I didn't zoom in enough to see what movie it was before. Well played, sir.
Someone has to do it. Granted to be fair I didn't zoom in it just looked like Doc from he picture
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-01-20, 04:34 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Someone has to do it. Granted to be fair I didn't zoom in it just looked like Doc from he picture
I want to know how the people whose car is facing the wrong way in the front row are watching the movie. Maybe folded the back seat down and are lying with their feet to the rear? And why 6-ish cars can't figure out how to turn off their lights!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Likes For dstrong:
Old 06-02-20, 01:37 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I was one of those cars (first row far left). My radio wouldn't work unless the car was on in some form, and no way to turn off the day time running lights. We were missing the movie scrolling online trying to find a fix.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 06-02-20, 02:43 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 1,111 Times in 560 Posts
I'll probably never take an x-gf's statement "you can have a relationship with whoever you want" to mean it's ok to date her sister
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-02-20, 05:58 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 618 Posts
ride the amtrak or the hound
Old 06-02-20, 08:21 AM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Work in an office full-time is something I will never, ever tolerate again.

Covid has exposed what many already knew: the office is outdated and largely worthless. I much prefer working from home. I put in a request to WFH at least three days a week. Fingers crossed my employer accepts this. If they donít, I will find a job elsewhere.
Old 06-02-20, 09:54 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 1,050 Posts
So cars no longer work at the drive-in! Can't turn off all the lights and listen to the radio. If drive-ins are to make a comeback, they need to hand out car bras at the entrance to drape over the lights. (When mask sales sag, there's the nest money maker since the movie theaters aren't going to be packed for a while.)
Old 06-02-20, 10:25 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 290 Posts
So cars no longer work at the drive-in! Can't turn off all the lights and listen to the radio. If drive-ins are to make a comeback, they need to hand out car bras at the entrance to drape over the lights. (When mask sales sag, there's the nest money maker since the movie theaters aren't going to be packed for a while.)
Seriously?

My car is 18 years old ... I guess I am missing all the new electronic stuff ... most of which I do not miss in the least.

Old 06-02-20, 11:49 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked 2,265 Times in 1,462 Posts
This is the future I’m looking forward to

Old 06-03-20, 04:34 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 1,111 Times in 560 Posts
Lights will go out if you engage the parking brake.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-03-20, 06:16 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post

huh. going to try it

edit: it worked!
Old 06-03-20, 07:05 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
Cool! Today I learned ..
Old 06-03-20, 07:32 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 163 Posts
Annually, influenza has killed between 12,000 and 61,000 people in the US alone, why weren't you afraid of all these things prior to corona?
Old 06-03-20, 08:01 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
ride the amtrak or the hound
As James Brown says to a bandmate in the Revolution Of The Mind live album: "Yeah, we know you've been to LA. Probably went out there on a Greyhound and came back on a stray dog."
Old 06-03-20, 09:24 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10658 Post(s)
Liked 2,691 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
Annually, influenza has killed between 12,000 and 61,000 people in the US alone, why weren't you afraid of all these things prior to corona?
1) There ARE vaccines,
2) the deaths did not happen in as short a period of time,
3) and the corona virus is still not fully understood.

COVID is killing 20X more people per week than the flu and flu complications did... thus overwhelming the health care system.

If there was any doubt that the new coronavirus isn't just "a bad flu," a new paper lays that myth to rest. The study authors found that in the U.S. there were 20 times more deaths per week from COVID-19 than from the flu in the deadliest week of an average influenza season.

"Although officials may say that SARS-CoV-2 [the virus that causes COVID-19] is 'just another flu,' this is not true," the authors, from Harvard Medical School and Emory University School of Medicine, wrote in their paper, published today (May 14) in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.

Ever since the new coronavirus was discovered in early January, people have compared it with the flu, pointing out that influenza causes tens of thousands of deaths every year in the U.S. alone.

This comparison is flawed because the CDC estimates of flu deaths are just that ó estimates rather than raw numbers. The CDC does not know the exact number of people who become sick with or die from the flu each year in the U.S. Rather, this number is estimated based on data collected on flu hospitalizations through surveillance in 13 states.On the other hand, reported COVID-19 deaths are actual counts of people who died from COVID-19, not estimates. In other words, comparing estimates of flu deaths with raw counts of COVID-19 deaths is like comparing "apples to oranges," the authors said.
https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...lu-deaths.html

But honestly, if you feel it is "just another flu," please head down to the nearest large hospital and volunteer your services... let us know how things turn out. They likely need help moving body bags.
Likes For genec:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.