How's your grocery?

Old 05-21-20, 05:18 PM
shelbyfv

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 340 Posts
How's your grocery?

Walmart is my closest. Lately I've been venturing in a couple of times a week. Mid-morning, so not very crowded. With one exception employees have worn masks. I would estimate 60+% of customers have had masks and we are in a fairly backward area (TN.) Most of those w/o appeared to be from a couple of predictable demographic groups. Most are obeying the one way aisles, even some of the "mask deniers." Our store is trying to force shoppers to use self checkout so only one or two checker lanes are open. I was well into a line before I realized the checker didn't have a mask. She was obese and I'm guessing it was hard for her to breathe through a mask. I didn't say anything about it but I'll be more alert in the future. I've read that time of potential exposure is a factor so today I tried a quick visit for a half dozen items and self checkout. I dislike self checkout but I was in and out much more quickly. What's grocery shopping like elsewhere? Any interesting safety measures beyond masks and one way aisles?
Old 05-21-20, 05:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 10919 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 547 Posts
I've tried to use self checkout as much as possible, although I think I was in Home Depot or Lowes that had closed down the self checkout.

I try to maintain a lot of distance, and even when around the checkers, I'll take a step back whenever practical.

At Lowes I saw a family that brought an elderly mother to look at refrigerators, so I gave them lots of distance.
Old 05-21-20, 07:19 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 48 Posts
Local grocer is good. I go at 9 AM on Monday, store is not crowded at all, shelves are mostly full. Even toilet paper. They offer hand sanitizer at the entrance and sanitize the handles of carts, baskets. I would say 80% of the staff wear masks and maybe 20% of the customers, but it is increasing. Masks are still very hard to find here, I have ordered some online and it taking weeks.
Old 05-21-20, 08:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 564 Posts
our stores are fine but thereís a difference between Walmart store policies in a few towns near me. for example one limits the number of TP products to just 1 item of each type but another walmart a cpl towns away will let you buy 3

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-21-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 03:27 AM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 200 Posts
I do my grocery shopping very early in the morning before large crowds of people have contaminated the store. All of out stores limit the amount of people that can go in. I use self-checkouts.
Old 05-22-20, 09:34 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 161 Posts
In my hood, masks are required indoors, and virtually all grocery shoppers are wearing masks (of varying quality). The market also has designated places for people to wait for checkout, as well as self-checkout. There are also splash-shields between customers and the checkout person ... not sure that makes any difference at all.
Old 05-22-20, 12:26 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
My HEB in Austin has limited entrance to one side of the store, which is where you can pick up your cleaned shopping cart. Masks are required and most inside the maintain distance. Personally, I've adopted a "If I touch it, I buy it" approach to everything from produce to packaged meat to canned goods, so I shop more actively with my eyes these days. I figure the more things I touch, the more chances there are to leave my germs or pick up someone else's.

Before all this, I used to go to the store 2-3 times a week but now I mostly do delivery, when I can get a slot. Early on, I couldn't get a delivery slot for 7-10 days, but in the last few days, many more slots seem to be available within 2-3 days. I don't know if this is the result of increasing their delivery staff or more people returning to shop in person.

The store has wide aisles so they haven't made any one-way aisles. There are currently limits on meats but everything else is well stocked...except for Clorox/Lysol wipes, which continue to elude me, although I have some being delivered tomorrow by Amazon.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 05-23-20, 04:36 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 200 Posts
Our local shops (not Walmart type) have been fine all along here. In the early morning hours not many people there at all. No mask requirements, just one way isles and distancing practices encouraged. Only really big change is one person per trip, so no couples or family units shopping. They actually enforce this. Although a parent with a kid or kids is usually not because you can't just leave your kids. Usually if both parents are there with kids they don't allow them all in. Have seen this a couple of times. We have not had any shortages really for some time now.
Old 05-23-20, 05:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10789 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,298 Posts
Iím a lawyer for a railroad. Ergo, I donít use self checkout. I donít stock the shelves either.

NSFW

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-23-20 at 05:56 AM.
Likes For indyfabz: