Returning to "Normalcy"

Old 06-16-20, 05:14 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Returning to "Normalcy"

Here in Vermont the Governor has just allowed campgrounds, public and private, to open up. Maine state parks are open to people from Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Will wonders never cease?
Old 06-16-20, 08:35 PM
stardognine

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 207 Posts
California is actually opening a few restaurants now, but definitely not all of them. Iím sitting in a Burger King now, where I finally got the latest & greatest update for my iPhone. This one was actually fairly important, with security updates, and was kinda slow coming. 🙄😉
Old 06-17-20, 09:22 PM
Nyah

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, Konacado ('20 Kona Sutra).

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
Here in Vermont the Governor has just allowed campgrounds, public and private, to open up. Maine state parks are open to people from Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Will wonders never cease?
The only normalcy that will return is another total shutdown. That will be the new normal. Here in Virginia, bars are apparently allowed to open outdoors. I stop to examine the patrons from a safe distance. They are nearly all ignoring physical distancing guidelines. Most not even wearing masks. The first wave of the virus has yet to even subside so, this is extremely foolish behavior.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 06-17-20, 10:12 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
the "new normal" is going to be region-specific, depending on number and severity of cases.
until either there is a vaccine, or the virus mutates to a form similar to the annual flu,
we're going to be stuck playing whack-a-mole with virus outbreaks.

up in wuhan, they had a small outbreak (5 cases i think?), so they tested the entire city
population in 10 days, about 11 million people, to contain it. seems to have worked there.

but further north, beijing has a larger outbreak, over 100 cases, and are locking down housing
complexes, next will be entire city districts, to stop the spread.

meanwhile, here in hainan, the virus is something we hear about on the teevee news.
except for movie theaters, all businesses are open, all schools are open. social distancing
has been forgotten, and i'd estimate no more than 20% wear masks.

china has the dubious advantage of a compliant population and a massive surveillance
apparatus. before the virus, any citizen's movements could be tracked 24/7 with extensive
cctv and electronic means. perfect setup for contact tracing. 'they' can track anywhere
you've been for the past month, identify anyone who came within 2 meters of you, track
them, and so on for 12 degrees of kevin bacon.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 06-18-20, 09:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 250 Posts
The new normal will be death and more of the flipping same. Unfortunately when you don't take the virus seriously after months of having it around and learning more about it, you get more cases and more deaths and no chance of returning to any semblance of what things used to be. It is absolutely depressing and horrifying that people just want to open back up because some people who are not actual knowledgable people on the virus (like virologists or at least licensed medical professionals who have some background in viruses) say "yeah let's open up, the economy is more important"

Spending time in the great outdoors is fine but large gatherings and people coming in from out of state and the potential for not social distancing is high.

As soon as we get a vaccine widely and easily available that is proven to work on humans and is free to those who need it, great let's start slowly and carefully getting back into the swing of things. Otherwise let's continue lock downs and closures which suck but are better than the alternative. I don't want to get this virus and people being careless because they cannot be adults is just ridiculous.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-19-20, 01:19 AM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You just installed contact tracing software on your phone, you dummy.

Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
I finally got the latest & greatest update for my iPhone.
Old 06-19-20, 10:14 AM
stardognine

Originally Posted by jjafterdark View Post
You just installed contact tracing software on your phone, you dummy.
Yeah, Iím not too crazy about that, but at least they supposedly fixed the vulnerability issue, that let freaky people get access to your files & info. 🙄 I know that was a very real issue, because I got a message about not being able to make a purchase, when I never tried to make a purchase. This after a google search.

I donít trust the gubermint much at all, but you have to do something about the outright thieves.

And please donít call me a dummy. Iím smarter than the average bear. 🤓😁😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-19-20, 01:41 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
There's no such thing as a secure iPhone or android phone. You're just deluding yourself.

Yeah, Iím not too crazy about that, but at least they supposedly fixed the vulnerability issue, that let freaky people get access to your files & info. 🙄 I know that was a very real issue, because I got a message about not being able to make a purchase, when I never tried to make a purchase. This after a google search.

I donít trust the gubermint much at all, but you have to do something about the outright thieves.

And please donít call me a dummy. Iím smarter than the average bear. 🤓😁😉
Likes For jjafterdark:
Old 06-19-20, 03:43 PM
stardognine

I can see youíre just fishing for an argument, but Iíve never had any problems before, with any iPhones. Only since they publicized the security vulnerability, and crooked people commenced to trying to scam people. 🙄Windows was constantly under attack, and androids were even worse.

It doesnít matter now to me, I just erased & reset my iPhone, with the recent updates already done, so Iím ďprobablyĒ good to go. 😎

BTW, Iím not a fanboy, just trying to use whatís less evil. 😁😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-19-20, 05:40 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 117 Posts
I can see youíre just fishing for an argument, but Iíve never had any problems before, with any iPhones. Only since they publicized the security vulnerability, and crooked people commenced to trying to scam people. 🙄Windows was constantly under attack, and androids were even worse.

It doesnít matter now to me, I just erased & reset my iPhone, with the recent updates already done, so Iím ďprobablyĒ good to go. 😎

BTW, Iím not a fanboy, just trying to use whatís less evil. 😁😉
I wouldn't bother engaging with him. Just report him if he steps out of line. He isn't here for the community, he's here to cause trouble. Already attempted it in the C&V section.
Likes For Piff:
Old 06-19-20, 05:58 PM
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Cannondale Synapse, Trek 710

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 850 Posts
Thread moved from Touring to COVID-19.
Old 06-19-20, 09:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11645 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff View Post
I wouldn't bother engaging with him. Just report him if he steps out of line. He isn't here for the community, he's here to cause trouble. Already attempted it in the C&V section.
He has now been banned for a week.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-20-20, 08:30 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 250 Posts
News reports are reporting spikes in covid-19 infections. This is just as predicted so no one should be surprised by the spike. That is the new normal.
Old 06-20-20, 03:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 11722 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
Vermont has had their numbers very low for quite some time. A recent spike in numbers, but they seem to be back down.
Maine never had large numbers, but the numbers also seem to be slowly falling now.
New Hampshire a little higher, but still seems to be getting the numbers down.

So, yes, reopen.

As far as campgrounds, as long as people are advised to stay in their family group, there really is very little increased risk, other than perhaps public restrooms (which are used everywhere).

State parks? Can one maintain social distancing?

One problem is say closing half the state parks, and getting people crowded in the remaining places.

And, then there is promoting travelling and potentially spreading the virus.

Hopefully they can keep Newyorkers home, but even New York is getting their numbers down.
Old 06-21-20, 11:56 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8848 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
The only normalcy that will return is another total shutdown. That will be the new normal. Here in Virginia, bars are apparently allowed to open outdoors. I stop to examine the patrons from a safe distance. They are nearly all ignoring physical distancing guidelines. Most not even wearing masks. The first wave of the virus has yet to even subside so, this is extremely foolish behavior.
Is it possible that at least some of those patrons are family members? Certainly anyone that has been living with someone for at least 2-3 weeks would not have to wear a mask at their table... but should be well distanced from others, and preferably in an open air setting.

I know I have met with old friends... I sit about 8 feet away, but they are couples... so as couples they don't mask together. We only meet outdoors. Anytime we walk anywhere, we all mask.
Old 06-22-20, 07:04 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 105 Posts
There are a lot of "normal" activities we can engage in with relative safety. Large public gatherings are not among those activities.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-22-20, 07:24 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8848 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 823 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
There are a lot of "normal" activities we can engage in with relative safety. Large public gatherings are not among those activities.
Exactly. Any public gathering should be outdoors, well spaced and with all attendees masked. But until there is some enforcement of masking or spacing, there will be no control.
Likes For genec:
Old 06-22-20, 02:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7808 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 722 Posts
No Politics

You guys are getting too casual about political posts. I can start handing out infractions if you like.
Old 06-25-20, 04:02 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 250 Posts
Smile

I feel like Will Rodgers who always began his monologues with, "I see in the papers today ....". Well today The NY Times reported that The EU will begin restricting US travel to Europe members nations. I have to wonder if Mexico is now going to put up a wall.
Old 06-25-20, 05:54 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
I feel like Will Rodgers who always began his monologues with, "I see in the papers today ....". Well today The NY Times reported that The EU will begin restricting US travel to Europe members nations. I have to wonder if Mexico is now going to put up a wall.
Hmm. The Canada/US border is closed, but some people are exploiting a loop hole. They claim they are driving to Alaska, so they are admitted to the country and they go to wherever they please. Good time to visit the Canadian Rockies, no American (or European or Asian) tourists. We're not even supposed to go there.
Old 06-25-20, 08:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 11722 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 801 Posts
I think it is time to adjust to a new normal.

Much of the Northeast still seems to be doing reasonably well with Coronavirus despite some reopening. To the point where they wish to quarantine people from areas with greater numbers of cases.

Yet, much of the rest of the country is struggling. Oregon seems to be struggling with little blips of micro-outbreaks everywhere, and a few pretty big ones too.

Coronavirus updates Thursday: Five new cases in teens attributed to house party in Eugene-Springfield area

Ok, not a huge outbreak, but that one party accounts for about a week's worth of local cases. But, those micro outbreaks, and a few larger outbreaks, and the problem keeps growing and growing.
Old 06-25-20, 10:06 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 189 Posts
the new "normal" is so abnormal that it will do more harm than the virus >>> the fabric of society has yet to be tested by life in an endemic... a life that willl need to very simple & very self centered & REMOTER than comfortable
Old 06-26-20, 01:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11645 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,850 Posts
Florida bars have stopped serving alcohol after a record shattering 9K new cases in one day.
Old 06-26-20, 02:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 789 Posts
I ride my bike wherever I want I mean there are so many people out here it might get dangerous.

The Covid Cops are lurking around.
Old 06-26-20, 02:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Florida bars have stopped serving alcohol after a record shattering 9K new cases in one day.
Yup. Getting bad here very fast. School athletic summer programs are halted after a few days many students were getting infected. In August everyone will go back to school then after a few weeks sent home after students and teachers and staff get infected.