Old 06-21-20, 06:40 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
Now I have an N95 mask and will step into stores for bottled water.
Using up an N95 per stop makes for an expensive bottle of water!

Or did you not realize that they are not re-usable - at best pragmatically when extreme care is used not to contaminate the inside from the outside?

I'll take a couple of layers of clean and dry pillowcase over an N95 stored in an improper manner for re-use throughout the day.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 06:40 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 136 Posts
Depending on how your route is sometimes I can preposition some water bottles by hiding them at a park or in some bushes the night before.
Old 06-21-20, 06:48 PM
biketampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I usually carry two bottles. For any ride needing more than that I just plan the ride to loop by where I park my car
Old 06-21-20, 06:52 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by billridesbikes View Post
Depending on how your route is sometimes I can preposition some water bottles by hiding them at a park or in some bushes the night before.
I've thought about that in the past, particularly when I planned a course that had an early repeat, considered caching things to pick up the second time past. But never quite done it. Having friends in the area plant the cache would work well, too.

Or there's the whole "century of a gazillion neighborhood loops returning to your garage" idea... but the tedium!

I suppose the whole "curbside pickup" thing won't work for a gallon of spring water (and an extra tip is someone could carry it up the embankment to the trail?)
Old 06-21-20, 06:54 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris View Post
With regard to the usage of an N95 on a cycling ride...

Sadly, you have demonstrated that the people who argued that the general public wouldn't know how to use PPE without contaminating it or themselves, have a point. Youtube is full of demonstrations of how to use one properly and attempt to preserve this single-use product for contingent re-use; it does not involve a jersey pocket.

The resigned compromise with "face coverings" (vs professional PPE) may be of the "well, at least your droplets aren't landing on others" sort.

But even something like a cloth mask that is primarily effective in protecting others from yourself, can still be personally hazardous, if you cross-contaminate the "clean" and "dirty" sides in re-use, handling, or storage. The people who ride with their mask down and pull it up when they see someone, or joggers who momentarily hold a bunched bandanna to their face... really don't get it, relying on distance alone would make more sense than that.
I used it once..

Can you read?

At no point did I "re-use" it.
Old 06-21-20, 07:01 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Ross520 View Post
Keeping it stored inside a jersey does not "sacrifice" it.
I used it once..

Can you read?

At no point did I "re-use" it.
Which is it?

Do you understand that stuffing a used N95 back in a jersey pocket after using it to buy a bottle of water "sacrifices" it for the accomplishment of that purchase and negates re-use, or not?
Old 06-21-20, 07:06 PM
Ross520

Which is it?

Do you understand that stuffing a used N95 back in a jersey pocket after using it to buy a bottle of water "sacrifices" it for the accomplishment of that purchase and negates re-use, or not?
I re-use it AFTER the ride, following guidelines proposed by the INVENTOR of the N95 mask.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7161499/
Old 06-21-20, 07:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Liked 1,654 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
Respect? then why not ride multiple laps around home where you can refill without adding to the body count in stores. mask or no mask, other than personal reasons, I have not heard of a valdid reason for venturing that far.
So you feel if it's not safe to go into a store with a mask, it's OK to ride your neighborhood and possibly infect others? Maybe just get a spin bike and never leave the house. (taken to extremes).

BTW... I have yet to go into any store other than a supermarket once every two weeks to buy groceries. And i've not ordered out since the middle of March. I bring (2) 24oz bottles and if I can't find a outside place to refill... I go home.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-21-20, 07:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Liked 1,654 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12 View Post
I agree. Here in California it is State Ordered and people outside the market will give you one if you forgot yours or donít have one. Without it -no entry.
People have no problem with "no shirt, no shoes.. .no service". What's the problem with a mask?
Old 06-21-20, 07:23 PM
UniChris

I re-use it AFTER the ride, following guidelines proposed by the INVENTOR of the N95 mask.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7161499/
The degree to which those more aggressive methods leave mask functional is somewhat debated, with experiments showing that many reduce its effectiveness

They also don't really contemplate stuffing it in a sweaty pocket - did you notice how your link specifically recommends against the soap and water you'd need to undo the cumulative effect of that?

If I were going to count on time alone, I'd at least stuff it in a sandwich baggie so it didn't pick up more sweat and minerals riding home with me.

Those studies are really about health care workers doffing masks in clean and controlled circumstances, quite unlike a distance cycling ride.

Closest I've come was considering using the P100 for an hour train ride to the start of a ride, then stuffing it yet-unsweated in into a baggie for the cycling miles home.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 07:34 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 507 Posts
Hot and humid here again.

If I know I'll need lots of water on a ride I'll either take my road touring bike with the skinny wheels and 25mm tires and load a pannier with extra bottles of water, or I'll temporarily add extra cages to my road bike. Two on the handlebar, two behind the saddle, two on the frame = 6 x 500ml of water or I'll use my 700ml bottles which gives me 4200ml of water.

I far prefer to have water and not need it than to need water and not have it.

Cheers
Old 06-21-20, 07:53 PM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada,Colnago

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 323 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have my shop about 15 miles from my house and on my ride I stop and check the mail then refill my water bottle( large size!) . It is easy to do my 40 mile ride without visiting a store. I do keep a mask in my jersey just in case I need one. The large bottle is fine without having to refill if I am just doing a short lunch ride.
Old 06-21-20, 08:12 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
What are people doing for water / fluid refills on rides that go beyond what you can carry?

Seems like most outdoor water fountains are not being turned on this season - understandable that those concern people, though if out in the sun and not a grime-collecting design (especially if a bottle filler rather than a drinking fountain) I'm not sure they'd be much of a risk. But it's hard to argue with city hall in a place you are only passing through.

My solution in the past in areas where there were no reliable fountains was to go into a grocery or convenience store and buy a large jug of water to refill everything, or if in more of a hurry a water bottle and a bottle of gatorade. Felt wasteful but worked, and at an actual grocery store not very expensive.

Only now going into a store means putting on a mask. And since stopping moving tends to mean all the sweat comes pouring out, and there's not really anything you can do during a ride with a sweat sodden mask that leaves it sanitary for re-use that day, that seems to point to needing to bring a fresh mask for each planned or contingent refill stop. With ones I can wash at home and re-use another day that's not intolerable... but still. (I've kept the same mask on for up to 30 miles in moderate temperatures but that doesn't work so well when sweating buckets and needing to drink frequently)

Any other ideas? Drive through windows at fast food places?
you still believe this covid nonsense , just carry your mask in your bag or pocket , i would shake my head in shame to see a real cyclist riding with a damn mask on !
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 06-21-20, 08:22 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
I far prefer to have water and not need it than to need water and not have it.
I'm definitely in that camp. Also I try to never be truly "out" until I'm practically within site of a refill...

If I know I'll need lots of water on a ride I'll either take my road touring bike with the skinny wheels and 25mm tires and load a pannier with extra bottles of water, or I'll temporarily add extra cages to my road bike. Two on the handlebar, two behind the saddle, two on the frame = 6 x 500ml of water or I'll use my 700ml bottles which gives me 4200ml of water.
Last summer I rode out of rest stops with 3.7 liters, but carrying a bit over half of it on my back takes a toll. I'm still going to have to stop at some point, and if the reliable stops are at four points through the ride, trying to stretch to double one doesn't work, so I'm leaning towards carrying around 2 liters. If it's a cool day and I get off really early, I might skip the first stop, but I don't think it's worth starting off heavily laden to do so. More than once I've gotten in trouble riding past available fluids incorrectly assuming there would be more later.

When I think realistically about it, it's not 3 freshly washed fabric masks vs 4 but more about if I buy both gatorade and water or be a cheapskate and spend time mixing drink powder or if I have a plan vs dazedly wandering the aisles trying to decide what calories I might be able to get down. Actually its the same 2 grocery stores both going and coming, first one I already know after two preview trips exactly where in the store what I want is, the other one I'll hopefully be able to remember from outbound visit to inbound.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 08:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 652 Posts
It's hot, it's humid, this COVID crap has been going on for months and we are all sick of it. Nobody wants to wear masks, nobody wants to have to sanitize everything or stay at home all the time and have their lives ruined. Heck it is my birthday coming up in the near future and I will likely be alone and that sucks I had plans to go out to a spa resort with friends and get massages, do some riding and spend the rest of the time in hot springs. ALL DASHED.

But let's face the facts if we don't wear masks and keep our distance and try our absolute best to stay as safe as possible by not going out and being careless, we might be able to end this at some point in the semi-near future. Being cavalier and saying "masks don't work" or whatever we might want to say is just stupid and is part of the reason we are still dealing with this and that people are losing lives and having their lives ruined. Sometimes you have to make major and minor sacrifices for the greater good and I know for many that can be hard because it is all about "me me me" but for once just say "hey I am going to try to do my part and end this misery"

If you need water, bring a mask (which I would have anyway) or as others have suggested do a loop near the house and refill as needed. I know that can suck but hey we aren't in the time of awesome stuff. Just be happy you are alive and you get to ride a bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-21-20, 09:34 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
If you need water, bring a mask
That's sadly where things look to be at.

But think about what it means for our society, that something as simple as water means putting on PPE, going into a building, and purchasing a single use plastic jug.

Each step in that chain makes sense in isolation, but viewed in total? That's really what this thread is about.

or as others have suggested do a loop near the house and refill as needed
Ironically that as a matter of posted policy and my practice of compliance requires a mask too. Doubly so as a private (vs building hallway) entrance was one of my keys goals in moving, for the moment unrealized. Granted there is somewhere else I could stop, maybe for a second century, my old "safe return" plan before I'd ever done any century of riding to the end of each local trail and back twice continues to seem rather bland but finding a more local road routing for variety from the pending out-and-back one might have some appeal. I'd just probably keep it circular rather than dipping back through town, thus retaining the refill problem.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 10:54 PM
Ross520

The degree to which those more aggressive methods leave mask functional is somewhat debated, with experiments showing that many reduce its effectiveness

They also don't really contemplate stuffing it in a sweaty pocket - did you notice how your link specifically recommends against the soap and water you'd need to undo the cumulative effect of that?

If I were going to count on time alone, I'd at least stuff it in a sandwich baggie so it didn't pick up more sweat and minerals riding home with me.

Those studies are really about health care workers doffing masks in clean and controlled circumstances, quite unlike a distance cycling ride.

Closest I've come was considering using the P100 for an hour train ride to the start of a ride, then stuffing it yet-unsweated in into a baggie for the cycling miles home.
I do keep it inside a bag, didn't really think it was relevant to mention at the time. My masks are not sweaty and as previously mentioned, sanitized per the guidelines of the creator of the N95.

I do my best to follow the proper health guidelines. My state is currently hitting records across the board for covid due to us opening far too early under the pressure of a certain politician.
Old 06-21-20, 11:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 507 Posts
Rather than use a mask when I go into stores I carry a bonafide cartridge respirator. ue to it's construction and method of being put on, it's a multi-use item far superior to the masks I see people wearing. First off, the seal that my respirator makes against my face is completely air-tight which means all the air I'm breathing and/or exhaling has gone through a filter.

As far as refilling water enroute goes, many years ago I went on a 60 miles (100 kilometres) ride and intended to top up my water at a store on the return leg of that ride. When I got to that store there was a slight problem. The store had closed and was now a private dwelling. Thus I was unable to top up my water. So now if I know I'm going for a long ride, I try to carry enough water for the duration of that ride.

Btw, I find these stainless steel Thermoses to be ideal for keeping water really cold for a day long ride in really hot and humid weather.

Cheers
Old 06-21-20, 11:12 PM
f2000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depends when the last person used the fountain, i think it's up to 3 days for stainless steel
Old 06-21-20, 11:33 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by f2000 View Post
depends when the last person used the fountain, i think it's up to 3 days for stainless steel
I wouldn't worry about outside fountains, UV light from the sun seems to kill Covid very rapidly on surfaces...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...cientists.html

And just to be safe, use your elbow, or a rubber glove to operates the handle (on some models you can use your hip or knee as well). You can also sanitize when finished, providing even more protection.

​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 06-22-20, 01:57 AM
AlgarveCycling

Bikes: Wilier Zero.6 (2019), Trek Madone SLR 6 (2020), KTM Scarp Sonic (2019)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Indyracer View Post
Convenience store to buy a bottle or two of water. Masks are useless.
Well, it is an absolute fact that they are not useless.

Of course, you need an educated society to gain the benefits they bring, an ignorant one will indeed make them useless. Here in Portugal, they are compulsory in enclosed public places. The goal is not to protect the wearer directly per se, but to protect others by reducing risk. It works. If everyone wears a mask - and we are only talking about basic cloth coverings, not Healthcare quality, then the spread of droplets is reduced by the distance they are limited to travel. If you wear a mask and try to keep a 1m or 2m physical distance, the risk is reduced even further. If everyone wears them, everyone is reducing risk. Obvious. We have adopted both masks and physical distancing. The evidence of their working is not only in our very low infection and death numbers compared to most countries - 15 deaths in total here in entire Southern Portugal Algarve region - but backed up by medical science and, let's face it, common sense too.

I get my water on longer rides from natural springs that are common in my region. But have a mask in case I want to go into a shop where it is compulsory.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 06-22-20, 03:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12520 Post(s)
Liked 4,646 Times in 2,394 Posts
Take it to the COVID forum, people.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-22-20, 03:31 AM
Mavman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think some people are missing the points regarding the masks that the OP has pointed out, which is at the heart of the problem. If you are putting it in a bag, taking it out, handling it later, your more likely to just be spreading it out and taking it with you, should you have come into contact with the virus. This is at the heart of the argument that was made about masks at the outset and why they were not initially recommended. To get the most benefit you need to be handling the mask correctly at all times, not just using one, throwing it in a pocket, then grabbing it later on.

Anyway, OP. I would just be planning routes with guaranteed refill sites, even if that meant it was a repetitive ride. We're in a year of compromise, this being but one of many.
Old 06-22-20, 07:34 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
As far as refilling water enroute goes, many years ago I went on a 60 miles (100 kilometres) ride and intended to top up my water at a store on the return leg of that ride. When I got to that store there was a slight problem. The store had closed and was now a private dwelling. Thus I was unable to top up my water. So now if I know I'm going for a long ride, I try to carry enough water for the duration of that ride.
This is a valid concern especially on backcountry rides, but unfortunately I cannot carry 3 gallons of water with me.

In cooler weather I did a few 50 milers without refill, but with what is needed for dawn to dusk rides in summer that just doesn't work.

Fortunately I ride in populated areas, so once resigned to stores there are options, although there are also sparse stretches where there's little near the route. Primarily I stop at places where there's a grocery store near the former rail line. I have been surprised to the degree that rail trails can thread through what I think of as a very built-up areas while rarely passing a refill store within site of the trail (because communities hide and avoid their unsightly rail lines, except where they passed through a town center or there were rail-dependent businesses), but in a situation such as finding the planned store closed which became desperate enough diverting a mile or two off the route would yield something.

Canal paths can be tricky - sometimes you're on the wrong side of the canal from the one-stoplight villages that have anything. Got caught out with real concern in a soggy, sunny, tired late afternoon stretch of the D&L in early March, finally lucked out to see a gas station sign and the requisite bridge to get there.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-22-20 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-22-20, 09:43 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
So you feel if it's not safe to go into a store with a mask, it's OK to ride your neighborhood and possibly infect others? Maybe just get a spin bike and never leave the house. (taken to extremes).

BTW... I have yet to go into any store other than a supermarket once every two weeks to buy groceries. And i've not ordered out since the middle of March. I bring (2) 24oz bottles and if I can't find a outside place to refill... I go home.
I feel that it is safe to not wear a mask. Don't twist my words.

My comment was toward those demanding people wear a mask into a store. Look if people have water at home, and you claim people need to wear mask for RESPECT, and then ride so far that they need a store for water, It is hypocrisy on your part. BECAUSE the store wasn't necessary at all.

And we all know staying at home is more safe than a mask. If a person is commuting to work fine, but who needs More than two 24ouz bottles to commute? like .00000000001 % of the people on this forum?

Point is come winter time and sub freezing temps we will see (visually) just how defective mask are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.