Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Water refill in the time of COVID?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Water refill in the time of COVID?

Old 06-25-20, 01:05 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 88 Posts
I just go to convenience stores, gas stations, liquor shops and buy whatever I can find. Even beer if I have to (or should I say, prefer to...)

Actually a month ago, since bars were shut down, I decided to do something instead of a pub crawl. I did a party store crawl. In Michigan, we don't call them liquor stores, we call them party stores. So on one of my rides from Pontiac back to my house in Brighton, I stopped at 4 party stores along the way, buying a 22 ouncer at each place. Felt great when I got back home.
Old 06-25-20, 01:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,113 Posts
Well, Long Island just went to Phase 3 so you can now eat inside.

I'll continue avoiding groups whenever possible and just food shop once every 2 weeks and wear a mask. My reason is my 10 week old grandson who has not had any shots yet and I want to be 110% sure I don't get anyone in the family sick.

Just home anyone coming from Florida self quarantines for 14 days like they asked New Yorkers to do 8 weeks ago.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-25-20, 02:39 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 903 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris View Post
It's pretty simple, really
  1. Water is necessary
  2. Haven't found any way to get it but buying jugs in a store - fountains were already uncertain, but inquiries have determined they are turned off
  3. Entering a store in any state I'm likely to ride in currently legally requires a mask
  4. Masks get sweaty very quickly and there's no way to store them for re-use without washing and drying (even forget about safety, think simple "ick")
  5. So need a fresh mask for each stop
  6. And also spares for anything else, like giving or receiving help with a mechanical or injury
So yes, in total it feels absurd, but I can't find the gap in reasoning which gives an alternative - the only thing that's really even a personal choice is to either not ride, or put a sweaty mask back on after stuffing it in a baggie or wearing it around your neck, and I'm not going there.

And it holds even for riding in my neighborhood, reduced only by ride length - eg, without any planned stops I could take 3 instead of 8. (I had been taking just two but that's been cutting it too close with sweat-through)
It seems that you have a choice; either carry 8 masks or quit riding. Personally, I think you should be safe and choose the latter.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-25-20, 03:56 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 55 Posts
I'm not the least bit concerned, I simply go into the drive up lane of some fast food place and ask them to refill my bottles, and they either will do that or hand me a large thing of water. By the time I'm nearing that point of running out of water I'm hungry so I'll order a burger and fries.
Old 06-25-20, 06:16 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 285 Posts
The other option is to stop worrying so much and get on with your life

I'm not the self appointed covid expert that many of the chuckle heads on here proclaim to be.

But you do realize there is a difference of opinion on the effectiveness of mask preventing you from catching the covid? That PPE simply doesn't work if you don't first remove it properly but then throw it away or sterilize it after every single use? That as soon as you put away one wet mask and pull out another you have just contaminated the new one? That the laws requiring masks are intended to reduce the odds of you transmitting the disease to others and not the other way around? From what I read covid is believed to be spread by "droplets", or at least that is what they are saying this week, so I simply don't understand why you think your breath would be any more lethal than transpiration of your own sweat?

All this nonsense is designed to slow the spread, but no matter how many masks you carry, how many pairs of gloves you use improperly, this disease is not going away. You can play the odds games, you can even hide in your closet and hope it doesn't find you, but in the end the steps you are taking is doing precious little to actually protect you or the ones around you. the stress is going to kill you quicker than the covid.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-25-20, 06:19 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Just home anyone coming from Florida self quarantines for 14 days like they asked New Yorkers to do 8 weeks ago.
And why do you think someone coming in from out of state is any more contagious than the guy living next door?

Makes no sense.
Old 06-25-20, 06:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
And why do you think someone coming in from out of state is any more contagious than the guy living next door?

Makes no sense.
I know the guy next door and that he's careful and doesn't have risky behavior. While the guy from Florida is an unknow and comes from a state that is setting new records everyday.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-25-20, 06:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13764 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 3,383 Posts

Makes no sense.
Makes complete sense when there are higher rates of infection in some states.

Let’s say every one in state A is infected and no one in state B is. A resident of state B is not going to get infected from another resident of state B but could get infected by someone from state A who travels to state B. This is, of course, an extreme example, but even you should be able to grasp the concept. Or maybe not.

And in case your uninformed opinion is masking a political slant, one reason I cancelled my Montana and Idaho (not exactly bastions of liberalism) bike tour is because those states were requiring people from out of state who were not just passing through to quarantine. Were it not for the pandemic I would be camping near Georgetown Lake in Montana at this very moment and panning for sapphires at Gem Mountain tomorrow. As it turns out, Gem Mountain decided to close the other day because one of its staff got infected and had prolonged, unprotected contact with several other staff members. The spread was possibly from a tourist from out of state.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-25-20 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-25-20, 06:45 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 456 Posts

Makes no sense.
Positive rate in Florida is somewhere between 5% and 8%, many other states where this is taking off are similar. NY area is around 1% and falling. Thus the governors of NJ, NY and CT. told visitors from about a dozen states to self quarantine if traveling to the NY metro area, with periodic checks to be made to make sure this is happening.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-25-20, 07:15 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 195 Posts
I carry two bottles if I'm doing more than 30 miles. Then I can do 50. But I carry a mask in my jersey just in case I need to stop anywhere.

There are a couple on the dash of my truck when I'm not riding. Wear one whenever I go in a store or any public place. Wear a mask and keep an alligator's distance between you and anyone you're not sleeping with and your chances of contracting the virus are greatly reduced. It doesn't "protect" you in that transmission is still possible, but it makes your odds a whole lot better.

And isn't very difficult to do.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-25-20, 07:28 PM
Pop N Wood

Post a dozen questions and get multiple response about Florida. Rule #19 I guess

And at what point does the infection rate in another state become significant? Buying 3 lottery tickets means you are 3 times as likely to win, but what are the odds that you actually win?

Makes no sense.

We as a nation need to start seeing the bigger picture. Do you honestly feel carrying used masks around with us is doing anything useful beyond making some feel like they have some level of control?

The clock is ticking, masks won't beat it.
Old 06-25-20, 07:29 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 5,163 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970 View Post
I just go to convenience stores, gas stations, liquor shops and buy whatever I can find. Even beer if I have to (or should I say, prefer to...)

Actually a month ago, since bars were shut down, I decided to do something instead of a pub crawl. I did a party store crawl. In Michigan, we don't call them liquor stores, we call them party stores. So on one of my rides from Pontiac back to my house in Brighton, I stopped at 4 party stores along the way, buying a 22 ouncer at each place. Felt great when I got back home.
So, instead of stopping at one store for your beer, you chose to expose yourself – and all of the other people in the stores – in four different locations instead. During a pandemic, when all of the really smart experts are recommending that we limit our exposure to other people - for our own sakes, and to protect those other people.

It’s no wonder that people in other countries are aghast at the United States.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-25-20, 07:33 PM
Koyote

Post a dozen questions and get multiple response about Florida. Rule #19 I guess

And at what point does the infection rate in another state become significant? Buying 3 lottery tickets means you are 3 times as likely to win, but what are the odds that you actually win?

Makes no sense.

We as a nation need to start seeing the bigger picture. Do you honestly feel carrying used masks around with us is doing anything useful beyond making some feel like they have some level of control?

it may make no sense to you… But then, some people don’t understand basic math.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-25-20 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 07:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13764 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 3,383 Posts

Makes I make no sense.
fify
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-25-20, 08:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 359 Posts
Moved from General

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-26-20, 05:25 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 195 Posts
Do you honestly feel carrying used masks around with us is doing anything useful beyond making some feel like they have some level of control?
Yes.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-26-20, 08:09 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 5093 Post(s)
Liked 1,804 Times in 1,076 Posts
I go early in the morning which means it stays cool enough for one bottle to cover a couple hours. For longer rides I can take two bottles.
One can get 34oz bottles too, which should be plenty if you have two cages.
Very important to pre-hyrdate the night before.
Old 06-26-20, 10:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15279 Post(s)
Liked 6,521 Times in 3,683 Posts
Ride in the mountains, bring a water filter.
Old 06-26-20, 10:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15279 Post(s)
Liked 6,521 Times in 3,683 Posts

Makes no sense.

Serious question: how did any of what you just wrote make sense to you?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-28-20, 12:55 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
So, instead of stopping at one store for your beer, you chose to expose yourself – and all of the other people in the stores – in four different locations instead. During a pandemic, when all of the really smart experts are recommending that we limit our exposure to other people - for our own sakes, and to protect those other people.

It’s no wonder that people in other countries are aghast at the United States.
Well, thanks for the reply.
You see, you're replying under the assumption that I've either not had it yet and/or I'm currently sick.
Instead of running assumptions and virtue signaling to others' posts this board, here's what you should be asking to someone like me.
"Have you had it already, and if so, when, and can you still spread it?"
That answer would be, yes, I've had it...in January. Therefore, it's long out gone out of my system and I can no longer spread it. So, my obligation now to society is to help revive our economy. This is my role now, I didn't choose it, but I know what I have to do.
And as far as to what I think of other country's opinion of mine. I don't give a ^&%$, The world needs America's economy to be strong again. The world needs us and that is a fact. And although my part is minuscule, I'm still doing it. And I might as well have fun doing it too.
Old 06-28-20, 04:56 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by friday1970 View Post
Well, thanks for the reply.
You see, you're replying under the assumption that I've either not had it yet and/or I'm currently sick.
Instead of running assumptions and virtue signaling to others' posts this board, here's what you should be asking to someone like me.
"Have you had it already, and if so, when, and can you still spread it?"
That answer would be, yes, I've had it...in January. Therefore, it's long out gone out of my system and I can no longer spread it. So, my obligation now to society is to help revive our economy. This is my role now, I didn't choose it, but I know what I have to do.
And as far as to what I think of other country's opinion of mine. I don't give a ^&%$, The world needs America's economy to be strong again. The world needs us and that is a fact. And although my part is minuscule, I'm still doing it. And I might as well have fun doing it too.
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but - as I understand the latest evidence- it is still an open question as to whether people who have recovered from COVID-19 can be reinfected or can be carriers. I’m perfectly willing to be corrected, if someone has seen more recent findings. But please check the link below. The relevant quote is “However, whether immunity occurs among individuals after they have recovered from COVID-19 is uncertain.”

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2766097
Old 06-29-20, 11:22 AM
stephanlinn

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 2012 Litespeed C3, 2018 Canyon Endurace, 2015 Giant Talon converted to gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use outdoor water fountains, but let them run for a while before filling a bottle. IMHO this is safer than a convenience store or indoor restaurant where I dont know who touched the container. Negatory on the antibody test so far.
Old 06-29-20, 11:32 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I've limited my rides to about 35 miles, which is about the most I can do on a warm central texas morning equipped with my 2 insulated camelbak podium bottles.

I'm carrying a mask right now, just in case I have a situation come up where I need to be around other people (e.g. stop to help someone with a flat; have an bike failure and need to phone a friend; crash and need an ambulance).

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 06-29-20, 01:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 5093 Post(s)
Liked 1,804 Times in 1,076 Posts
Try the non insulated - you can get up to 34oz each. That could give you 16oz extra depending on the insulated type you are using.
Old 06-29-20, 01:26 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think you got it. A baggy with clean masks and drop into a grocery store or a gas station.

stopping for me always meant a flood of sweat, but out of fluid is much worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.