Old 06-21-20, 10:31 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 101 Posts
Water refill in the time of COVID?

What are people doing for water / fluid refills on rides that go beyond what you can carry?

Seems like most outdoor water fountains are not being turned on this season - understandable that those concern people, though if out in the sun and not a grime-collecting design (especially if a bottle filler rather than a drinking fountain) I'm not sure they'd be much of a risk. But it's hard to argue with city hall in a place you are only passing through.

My solution in the past in areas where there were no reliable fountains was to go into a grocery or convenience store and buy a large jug of water to refill everything, or if in more of a hurry a water bottle and a bottle of gatorade. Felt wasteful but worked, and at an actual grocery store not very expensive.

Only now going into a store means putting on a mask. And since stopping moving tends to mean all the sweat comes pouring out, and there's not really anything you can do during a ride with a sweat sodden mask that leaves it sanitary for re-use that day, that seems to point to needing to bring a fresh mask for each planned or contingent refill stop. With ones I can wash at home and re-use another day that's not intolerable... but still. (I've kept the same mask on for up to 30 miles in moderate temperatures but that doesn't work so well when sweating buckets and needing to drink frequently)

Any other ideas? Drive through windows at fast food places?
Old 06-21-20, 10:36 AM
Indyracer

Bikes: Felt F2 road bike, Motobecane Cafe Sprint Hybrid, Cannondale F400 CAD2 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 23 Posts
Convenience store to buy a bottle or two of water. Masks are useless.
Likes For Indyracer:
Old 06-21-20, 10:40 AM
GlennR
Passing on your left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 336 Posts
Water is my limiting factor.

As you, in the past I was refilling at fast food, dellis and public fountains. Now I won't go in any location. A few times I use outside faucets on the side of a building and twice asked someone outside of their home if i could refill.

Just yesterday I was almost done with the 1st 24oz bottle and only covered 8 miles, really humid, so I stopped by a ball field thinking i could refill at the bathroom sink. (no one touches the end of the faucet). When a guy walked by with a case of water and offered me one. I told him i'd pass it on when i get a chance and came up with the idea of bringing a case of cold water to the local MUP and offer them for free on a day that i'm not riding.

Water is the problem, so we can provide a safe solution to others.
Old 06-21-20, 10:41 AM
GlennR
Passing on your left

Originally Posted by Indyracer View Post
Masks are useless.
Doesn't matter if they are or not. It's respect for others so as long as they are mandated.. wear one or stay out.
Old 06-21-20, 10:47 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 97 Posts
I keep gloves and sanitizer in my jersey pocket. No issues filling-up at public water fountains.

Also, it's important to remember that covid is mainly transmitted by droplets, and I doubt it survives long anyways on a hot metal surface being bombarded with UV from the sun.

That being said I still use my glove when operating the handle.
Old 06-21-20, 11:09 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Indyracer View Post
Convenience store to buy a bottle or two of water. Masks are useless.
While that is fundamentally untrue (they provide a substantial degree of protection from the wearer to others) holding uniformed opinions about them is irrelevant in places where it's a legal requirement to put one on when entering a store.

Eg, wandering around in the grocery store AC shirtless might feel nice, but it's not allowed either.

If there were an open-air vending cart, arguments might be made about reasonable ways to do it. But those are rare and when they do exist, usually a bit pricey for a full refill.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 06-21-20, 11:14 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Ross520 View Post
I keep gloves and sanitizer in my jersey pocket. No issues filling-up at public water fountains.

Also, it's important to remember that covid is mainly transmitted by droplets, and I doubt it survives long anyways on a hot metal surface being bombarded with UV from the sun.

That being said I still use my glove when operating the handle.
I think there are ways that some could be used safely, yes. But the people who control the season shutoff valves seem not to.

So it's another case of personal opinion being irrelevant - I can't decide I'm comfortable using a fountain, when they seem to all be turned off (have both been asking others about status, and trying ones I pass even if I don't intend to use water from them).

I'm glad to hear you are finding some on though!

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 11:41 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 333 Posts
Like them or not, Starbucks never refused to top up my water bottle. Putting on a mask for a couple minutes is not that big of a deal.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 06-21-20, 11:52 AM
GlennR
Passing on your left

Originally Posted by Slightspeed View Post
Like them or not, Starbucks never refused to top up my water bottle.
Same for 7/11 or any fast food place. They all will let you fill with cold water and most will offer ice. Only once did a deli tell me to buy a bottle. All the others have no problem with free tap water.

Might need to put a mask in the 3rd jersey pocket.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-21-20, 12:02 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,480 Posts
I'm carrying a cloth mask in my cell phone holder. It doesn't get sweaty for the few minutes I'm in the store.

I've ridden 170 miles this week in 90+ degree heat. The store stops were definitely necessary.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-21-20 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-21-20, 12:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11383 Post(s)
Liked 3,019 Times in 1,680 Posts
I stopped at a Wawa in NJ last weekend. Their fountain soda machines are back on. Water and ice are always free, but you canít pump your own gas.😀

Mask up!
Old 06-21-20, 12:10 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor, 70's vintage Schwinn Continental and Suburban

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
I do the same things I always have. Convenience stores still allow me to refill water bottles from their fountains or they have working water coolers near the head. Buying a cold power aide is always a refreshing option anyway. Fortunately masks are not required where I ride so I don't bother with them.

Did have a dilemma on a local bike trail Someone put out a cooler of ice with bottled water. Another rider and I were trying to determine the etiquette of how best to access the cooler, he wanted a bottle and I just wanted some ice. I have little patience with the covid overreaction but I do try and respect other people sense of manners, even if I personally feels it borders on a phobia. The person who provided the cooler also left a large bottle of hand sanitizer, so the other rider and I decided sanitizer our hands, let them dry than dig in with bare hands.

Crazy times.
Old 06-21-20, 12:14 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I'm carrying a cloth mask in my cell phone holder.
Carrying unused ones isn't hard, given lack of aero concerns I've got lots of volumetric capacity for things that are light

It doesn't get sweaty for the few minutes I'm in the store.
Given the sweat pours out in buckets even more when I stop than when riding, mine gets pretty sweaty just from being put on at all.

And even without the sweat, re-use after being stuffed in a bag really breaks all the rules about cross contamination from outside to in... I'll put a mask back on without washing if I can hang it up by the strap somewhere out of the way of others, otherwise not.

I'd rather not wear a mask just for appearances. And I'd rather not breathe though parts of the mask I've touched to fold, except under careful and clean conditions at home when bagging it for the first time - that seems somewhat worse (at least in personal risk) than not wearing one at all.

I've ridden 170 miles this wee in 90+ degree heat. The store stops were definitely necessary.
Would definitely agree.

Debating doing a short mid-day shopping run, I'll probably wear the mask the whole time (as on past rides in cooler temps) since some is on town trails where they are requested, kind of curious how sodden it will get. But I just can't imagine it hour after hour after hour in the sun.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 12:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 438 Posts
Like rough camping I use the outside hose bib at the gas station
Old 06-21-20, 12:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 316 Posts
I'm hoping to get used to my hydration pack again. I have been riding in places where you can't get water.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-21-20, 12:50 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm hoping to get used to my hydration pack again. I have been riding in places where you can't get water.
I used to carry a lot of water but have been trying to minimize the amount of time I have any on my back in favor of bottles on the frame, as I find that it moves just enough enough side to side with pedaling to cause a chafing burn after many sweaty hours. Even putting chamois cream on my lower back, somewhere around a metric it really starts to sting and will be scaly and burned for a few days after. My idea now is to ride out of a refill stop with only one liter there, use it early and also try to only ever have it either completely full or empty to minimize sloshing.

So I'm hoping to do my distance rides lighter this year, not step any less often (though hopefully make the stops more quick and efficient). If it comes to it, at least a stack of masks doesn't slosh.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 03:01 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse (winter bike)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Refills are becoming more of a concern as I'm increasing my mileage in peak riding season and the weather is getting hotter. I did a 64 mile, very hilly ride last week and I carried two water bottles in my cages and a third in my jersey pocket. At the 26 mile mark, I knew it wasn't going to be enough and I really didn't want to ration myself with more than half the ride to go. So, I stopped at a general store (I carry a mask for just such purposes) and bought a bottle of gatorade. Interestingly, the guy working there apparently was one of those who didn't feel the need to wear a mask at all, although the few customers I saw were wearing them.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 06-21-20, 03:14 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Doesn't matter if they are or not. It's respect for others so as long as they are mandated.. wear one or stay out.
Respect? then why not ride multiple laps around home where you can refill without adding to the body count in stores. mask or no mask, other than personal reasons, I have not heard of a valdid reason for venturing that far.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-21-20, 04:01 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400t, 1977 Trek TX900, 1981 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1991 PDG Paramount OS, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 91 Posts
Fortunately bubblers turned on in parks that I ride near, or through, also a couple of Grocery stores near my routes. Only place I have to worry about a mask is Milwaukee, Madison, and Costco, so not really an issue, as not going near any of those places.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 06-21-20 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 04:16 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by UniChris View Post
I think there are ways that some could be used safely, yes. But the people who control the season shutoff valves seem not to.

So it's another case of personal opinion being irrelevant - I can't decide I'm comfortable using a fountain, when they seem to all be turned off (have both been asking others about status, and trying ones I pass even if I don't intend to use water from them).

I'm glad to hear you are finding some on though!
I apologize, my reading comprehension was lacking.

To more constructively respond, there was a time when I was hot and REALLY wanted ice cold water so stopped at a corner store, put my N95 (the medical ones without the valve) and went inside, purchased two litters of water which I filled-up outside.

Everything went pretty well I'd say. Just gotta mask-up. It's the law in many places and for good reason, Japan, for example, actually credits the widespread use of masks with their low covid death rate.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 06-21-20, 05:11 PM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I agree. Here in California it is State Ordered and people outside the market will give you one if you forgot yours or donít have one. Without it -no entry.
Old 06-21-20, 05:40 PM
UniChris

Just gotta mask-up. It's the law in many places and for good reason, Japan, for example, actually credits the widespread use of masks with their low covid death rate.
Indeed it is the law... and when done correctly it helps.

But it's hard to do masks correctly, especially in the more primitive hygiene situation of a ride.

I was hot and REALLY wanted ice cold water so stopped at a corner store, put my N95 (the medical ones without the valve) and went inside
How did you get the N95 there (and back) without sacrificing it to that single use?

I've got a p100 cartridge respirator, but the only way I could figure out to really preserve its life when using it for grocery shopping involved donning it in the unsweaty environment of a car, hauling back a real bounty for each incident of exposure, and carefully setting it down after. So after taking some early self-reliant joy in cycle based essentially shopping, when it became clear we really should be wearing masks I gave that up for car trips. Now after a move, borrowing a car means riding or walking halfway to the store anyway, so I've given in to concern fatigue enough to do more human powered shopping; but that pretty much means making do with washable or single use masks that offer far less inbound protection.

But in terms of this thread, the perhaps rhetorical question is the ultimate inability on a long enough ride to avoid going into a store for fluids while wearing a mask that you can carry there and beyond.

Today's experiment of late afternoon shopping in the next town over seems to confirm that wearing a fabric mask for long periods of riding in hot weather isn't going to stay effective - mine today managed six miles out, two stores, and six miles back but pretty much the instant I stopped moving at the door of my building and leaned over to fish out my keys it went fully saturated, and I could feel that I was only getting air from the resulting leakage around the edges - which of course only counts in security theater.
Old 06-21-20, 06:06 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by UniChris View Post
Indeed it is the law... and when done correctly it helps.

But it's hard to do masks correctly, especially in the more primitive hygiene situation of a ride.

How did you get the N95 there (and back) without sacrificing it to that single use?

I've got a p100 cartridge respirator, but the only way I could figure out to really preserve its life when using it for grocery shopping involved donning it in the unsweaty environment of a car, hauling back a real bounty for each incident of exposure, and carefully setting it down after. So after taking some early self-reliant joy in cycle based essentially shopping, when it became clear we really should be wearing masks I gave that up for car trips. Now after a move, borrowing a car means riding or walking halfway to the store anyway, so I've given in to concern fatigue enough to do more human powered shopping; but that pretty much means making do with washable or single use masks that offer far less inbound protection.

But in terms of this thread, the perhaps rhetorical question is the ultimate inability on a long enough ride to avoid going into a store for fluids while wearing a mask that you can carry there and beyond.

Today's experiment of late afternoon shopping in the next town over seems to confirm that wearing a fabric mask for long periods of riding in hot weather isn't going to stay effective - mine today managed six miles out, two stores, and six miles back but pretty much the instant I stopped moving at the door of my building and leaned over to fish out my keys it went fully saturated, and I could feel that I was only getting air from the resulting leakage around the edges - which of course only counts in security theater.
I'm not sure what you mean...

It was stored in my jersey pocket, I put it on, purchased the water, removed it, placed it back inside my jersey, and sanitized my hands. Keeping it stored inside a jersey does not "sacrifice" it.
Old 06-21-20, 06:17 PM
UniChris

With regard to the usage of an N95 on a cycling ride...

I'm not sure what you mean...

It was stored in my jersey pocket, I put it on, purchased the water, removed it, placed it back inside my jersey, and sanitized my hands. Keeping it stored inside a jersey does not "sacrifice" it.
Sadly, you have demonstrated that the people who argued that the general public wouldn't know how to use PPE without contaminating it or themselves, have a point. Youtube is full of demonstrations of how to use one properly and attempt to preserve this single-use product for contingent re-use; it does not involve a jersey pocket.

The resigned compromise with "face coverings" (vs professional PPE) may be of the "well, at least your droplets aren't landing on others" sort.

But even something like a cloth mask that is primarily effective in protecting others from yourself, can still be personally hazardous, if you cross-contaminate the "clean" and "dirty" sides in re-use, handling, or storage. The people who ride with their mask down and pull it up when they see someone, or joggers who momentarily hold a bunched bandanna to their face... really don't get it, relying on distance alone would make more sense than that.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-21-20 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 06:28 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
I've found a couple of country churches with outside hose valves. But only some churches have these.
Yes, the local parks still mostly have the water fountains turned off. A few more are opening up now.

I didn't stop at all on rides this spring, but that was okay with the cooler temperatures. Now I have an N95 mask and will step into stores for bottled water.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.