3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18083 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,249 Posts
How the Virus Won

Invisible outbreaks sprang up everywhere.
The United States ignored the warning signs.

We analyzed travel patterns, hidden infections and genetic data to show how the epidemic spun out of control.
... a good summary of the history to date, with incredible animated graphics. A well researched and well illustrated story by the NY Times.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-25-20, 10:54 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 497 Posts
That website overwhelmed my internet service so I had to view it minus the graphics but jut the text is pretty damning. I've been following the NY Times COVID reporting now for a couple of months. Sobering (and with hindsight, a lot of it has been spot on).

I had a conversation with a friend late March and mentioned that the reports of NY City and Europe sounded eerily like books I've read about life in Germany as a civilian during the World Wars. I'm thinking that the rest of this country is going to get to live that reality. Sickens me to think this was all by choice. (To not make a critical decision IS a choice.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-25-20, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11539 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 734 Posts
There is a topic here about flu rates and COVID. What I had noticed a while ago was that flu rates in East Asia were crashing by mid February, likely due to isolation.

The USA was at least a month behind.

And, Europe even further behind.

I certainly was concerned about COVID as soon as the news started popping up in late January. But, had no idea that federal policy prohibited any community surveillance monitoring, or those on "watch lists" were never actually tested for the virus.