Old 06-28-20, 04:10 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 296 Posts
Pandemic Debrief

The NY Times this Sunday has the article of a series of the pandemic that is a "debrief" of how it all began and got out of hand. The initial response by some MDs in Germany quickly pinpointed the fact that people who show no symptoms were spreading infection. This was given little to no credence by the "experts" who should have known better which resulted in lost weeks in recommending the correct response. The situation reminded me of the totally wrong FEMA response to hurricane Katrina. That response, or lack of a response, was so lacking that the head of FEMA was quickly shown the door before it could reflect on the Bush administration. We are seeing the same lack of a correct.response now to leading to dissatisfaction with the current administration and it may cost the election.

Baffling to me and others was the poor response to the infection by WHO. It was not clear whether incompetence or grandstanding was to blame but the delays have cost lives.
Old 06-28-20, 06:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 14383 Post(s)
Liked 2,399 Times in 1,787 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
The NY Times this Sunday has the article of a series of the pandemic that is a "debrief" of how it all began and got out of hand.
Do you have a title/author or a link?

Reports of asymptomatic and minimally symptomatic spread in China came out quite early in either late January or early February including at least one Chinese individual who travelled from Wuhan, and infected her entire family.

Also some basic symptoms were common, but vastly different presentation of the disease from mild "cold" symptoms to severe debilitating pneumonia.

I am curious about what the NYT is criticizing the WHO about. Perhaps while the disease was identified in late December, the danger really wasn't fully comprehended until early February (which was still way before the USA took significant action to curb the spread).

Unfortunately nobody in the USA and Europe had detected the spreading disease until it had already travelled by Jet around the world in all directions, to and from many different countries.
Old 06-28-20, 06:39 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
CliffordK:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...us-spread.html
Old 06-28-20, 06:51 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I think I saw that a couple of days ago. I don't see any mention of the WHO.

Pretty graphics intense. Lots of missed opportunities, and lots of places where a person went, caught the "cold", and came back home to spread the disease further with devastating consequences.
Old 06-28-20, 08:30 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,049 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/w...6914a995b92637
Old 06-28-20, 08:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,202 Posts
snip . . . We are seeing the same lack of a correct.response now to leading to dissatisfaction with the current administration and it may cost the election.

snip . . . .
Lack of correct response by this administration?

How about ignoring and undermining public health experts, spreading false information, politicizing mask wearing, refusing to take the necessary steps so that we have adequate testing, and holding mass rallies without taking any necessary precautions. And that's just for starters.

The Lancet--a medical journal--had it right when it wrote an editorial that Trump's maladministration is a national health disaster for the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...irus-response/

Last edited by bikemig; 06-28-20 at 08:42 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-28-20, 11:06 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 513 Posts
I think having 50 states is a little too much. Like herding cats. Here in Australia we have 8 states and territories. They and the Federal Government got together in a National Cabinet to figure out what to do. At first the Prime Minister did a Trump, worrying more about the economy, but the state Premiers basically told him to toe the shutdown line or they'd do it for him, so he did. Worked great, except for one state that started reopening before they were ready, and now have increasing cases. Compared to you guys nothing really, but at least 3 states haven't had any cases for 40 days. Hopefully they'll sort out this small outbreak, I suspect through a shutdown of that state. My state is in quarantine, no visitors at all and any returning residents go into quarantine for 2 weeks. Mind you they only just introduced mandatory testing when they leave quarantine, I would have though that should have been a given from the start. But since we are Covid free pubs are open and things are getting back to normalish, just without the hordes of tourists we usually have.
Old 06-29-20, 12:32 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
I think having 50 states is a little too much. Like herding cats. Here in Australia we have 8 states and territories. They and the Federal Government got together in a National Cabinet to figure out what to do. At first the Prime Minister did a Trump, worrying more about the economy, but the state Premiers basically told him to toe the shutdown line or they'd do it for him, so he did. Worked great, except for one state that started reopening before they were ready, and now have increasing cases. Compared to you guys nothing really, but at least 3 states haven't had any cases for 40 days. Hopefully they'll sort out this small outbreak, I suspect through a shutdown of that state. My state is in quarantine, no visitors at all and any returning residents go into quarantine for 2 weeks. Mind you they only just introduced mandatory testing when they leave quarantine, I would have though that should have been a given from the start. But since we are Covid free pubs are open and things are getting back to normalish, just without the hordes of tourists we usually have.
It is a lot harder to herd the cats if there is no clear direction from the top, or perhaps one has someone chasing them in the wrong direction.

A widespread interstate shutdown would have been difficult, although it became clear there were certain hotspots that put surrounding states and regions at risk.

Nonetheless, what we really needed was an effective testing and monitoring strategy from early on which was only being developed by late March and early April, and still was lagging until May/June.

In fact, I think one of the issues with the current spikes in numbers is that we're finally getting the tests we should have had 5 months ago.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-29-20, 10:13 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 296 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Lack of correct response by this administration?

How about ignoring and undermining public health experts, spreading false information, politicizing mask wearing, refusing to take the necessary steps so that we have adequate testing, and holding mass rallies without taking any necessary precautions. And that's just for starters.

The Lancet--a medical journal--had it right when it wrote an editorial that Trump's maladministration is a national health disaster for the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...irus-response/
I can't disagree with any of this. The NY Times link details how a slow response allowed the virus to gain a foothold. The storyis available for free and it is worth the time to read it. The failure of the WHO and some researchers was to deny that people with no symptoms could spread covid-19 infection. By the time the WHO came to understand that such people could spread infection it was very late in the game . By that time thousands of people had flown in and out of China and in and out of most countries the world over. An amazing fact is that infection spread far and wide in a matter of weeks to a month or so.
Old 06-29-20, 10:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,202 Posts
I can't disagree with any of this. The NY Times link details how a slow response allowed the virus to gain a foothold. The storyis available for free and it is worth the time to read it. The failure of the WHO and some researchers was to deny that people with no symptoms could spread covid-19 infection. By the time the WHO came to understand that such people could spread infection it was very late in the game . By that time thousands of people had flown in and out of China and in and out of most countries the world over. An amazing fact is that infection spread far and wide in a matter of weeks to a month or so.
Oh yeah, I read it before you posted it. I'm a bit of a news junkie and the Covid 19 stuff is both horrifying and fascinating. Still the failure of the US to come up with a coherent response is absolutely stunning. This administration--Donald Trump's administration--has failed the nation.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-29-20, 10:31 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 1,256 Times in 597 Posts
I think having 50 states is a little too much. Like herding cats.
It's really not that hard to herd cats in time of national (or worldwide) crisis is there's good leadership at the top. We've done it many times before.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-29-20, 11:36 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I think having 50 states is a little too much.
You might be on to something.

I think we could do 7...NorthEast; SouthEast; NorthCentral; SouthCentral; NorthWest; SouthWest; Other. Fancy naming could come later.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)