Old 09-26-20, 08:40 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

China Gives Unproven Covid-19 Vaccines to Thousands, With Risks Unknown

Drug company workers, government officials and others have been injected outside the usual testing process. More will be soon, bewildering experts who worry about potential ill effects.
Raina MacIntyre, who heads the biosecurity program at the Kirby Institute of the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia, said she would not recommend the emergency use of vaccines before the conclusion of Phase 3 trials. AstraZeneca, the British-Swedish company, halted late-stage testing in the United States on a vaccine candidate this month after one volunteer fell seriously ill for unknown reasons.

Flawed vaccines can cause significant health problems. In 2017, children who were injected with Sanofi’s dengue vaccine became sicker. Children vaccinated against respiratory syncytial virus, or R.S.V., in the 1960s also suffered side effects, resulting in trials being scrapped.

Broad inoculation campaigns also increase the risk of getting multiple vaccines, which could have adverse effects on a person’s immune response.

“It may be three to six months before we get Phase 3 trial results — it’s not that long to wait,” Dr. MacIntyre said. “You are potentially muddying the waters for the time when we do have Phase 3 trial data for the best possible vaccine.”

“The goal is to first establish an immune barrier among special populations, so that the operations of the entire cities will have a stable guarantee,” Mr. Zheng said.

The vaccine makers and local governments stress that participation is voluntary, and many people who take the vaccines pay a considerable amount to do so. According to government notices, the vaccines would cost about $148, putting them out of reach for many in a country where 600 million people make that much in a month.
It is not clear whether recipients have been fully warned about the risks of taking an unapproved vaccine.

Dr. Mulholland, of the Murdoch institute, said he would give an experimental coronavirus vaccine only to health care workers, especially in places like Brazil, which has one of the world’s highest case counts, and continue monitoring them. “They can be educated on the potential risks,” he said.
NYT
Old 09-27-20, 12:44 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Novavax has just been given the go ahead to produce a vaccine.

"The U.S. will pay the vaccine maker Novavax $1.6 billion to develop 100 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine by early 2021, the company said.

The deal is the largest that the Trump administration has made so far with a company as part of Operation Warp Speed, the federal effort to make coronavirus vaccines and treatments available to Americans as quickly as possible.Novavax, which is based in Maryland, has never brought a product to market." (NY TImes daily briefing)
$1.6B is a pittance compared to the economic cost of COVID.

My primary concern is safety, effectiveness, and how quickly it can be produced. On all counts, I am happy there are multiple efforts to generate a vaccine, and that they use different technologies. I’d be a lot more worried if there was a single effort directed by government, no matter how intelligent and well meaning the person in charge.

Old 09-27-20, 09:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 747 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted on this thread yet, but it's worth a listen (or the link has a full transcript if you prefer to read)
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/vaccine/
Old 09-27-20, 11:50 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
$1.6B is a pittance compared to the economic cost of COVID.

My primary concern is safety, effectiveness, and how quickly it can be produced. On all counts, I am happy there are multiple efforts to generate a vaccine, and that they use different technologies. I’d be a lot more worried if there was a single effort directed by government, no matter how intelligent and well meaning the person in charge.
>>>>>> ameriKa can't stock the shelves with Lysol and KN95 masks and people keep worshipping at the feet of the Vaccine God Whatever good comes from Vaccine research it aint gonna be coming to your home town for a good while BTW FOX is a big purveyor of vaccine optimism and the return to "normalcy"
Old 09-27-20, 02:01 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
>>>>>> ameriKa can't stock the shelves with Lysol and KN95 masks and people keep worshipping at the feet of the Vaccine God Whatever good comes from Vaccine research it aint gonna be coming to your home town for a good while BTW FOX is a big purveyor of vaccine optimism and the return to "normalcy"
Funny ... I have no problems buying both Lysol and KN95 masks.

We'll see about the vaccines. I know people who have volunteered to be subjects in the clinical trials ... so far, only minor side effects and we'll see about the efficacy. Either way, they are helping move things along and advancing science instead of throwing rocks.

There should be several choices, and when they come, I'll do my research and decide which is best, and I plan to return to my normal.

Old 09-27-20, 05:56 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

^^^^ you're lucky... there are no 3M K95s and Lysol or similar wipes and Lysol aerosols are not on store shelves in SE Tex
Old 09-27-20, 06:08 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

^^^^ you're lucky... there are no 3M K95s and Lysol or similar wipes and Lysol aerosols are not on store shelves in SE Tex
Here ya go ... about $2 each?

https://www.amazon.com/SUNCOO-Protec...1251609&sr=8-7

BTW ... you are smart to want KN95 masks. I see mostly home made cloth masks about, but IMHO, as long as you're going to wear one, they might as well be as effective as reasonably possible.

Old 09-27-20, 06:08 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 236 Posts
You really have to learn how to handle your wipes .

A little bleach on a paper towel goes a long way.
Old 09-27-20, 06:20 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Here ya go ... about $2 each?

https://www.amazon.com/SUNCOO-Protec...1251609&sr=8-7

BTW ... you are smart to want KN95 masks. I see mostly home made cloth masks about, but IMHO, as long as you're going to wear one, they might as well be as effective as reasonably possible.
>>>> "in stock OCT 07" , like i said ...
Old 09-27-20, 06:28 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post
You really have to learn how to handle your wipes .

A little bleach on a paper towel goes a long way.
... i have been making do with SMIRNOFF hand sanitizer. I get it from a friend who owns a DISTRIBUTORSHIP. it comes in 1/2 pint bottles and looks like vodka but it says "not for consumption". If I had to pay for it, it would cost more than a 1/2 pint of Gibleys Vodka. The fact that ameriKa cannot produce & mass deliver PPEs should be a major concern
Old 09-27-20, 06:37 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

>>>> "in stock OCT 07" , like i said ...
I think these are available now.

https://www.amazon.com/COVAFLU-KN95-...GHP12P5PGVAH9B

Old 09-27-20, 06:58 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 236 Posts
... i have been making do with SMIRNOFF hand sanitizer. I get it from a friend who owns a DISTRIBUTORSHIP. it comes in 1/2 pint bottles and looks like vodka but it says "not for consumption". If I had to pay for it, it would cost more than a 1/2 pint of Gibleys Vodka. The fact that ameriKa cannot produce & mass deliver PPEs should be a major concern
A more major concern might be all of the deaths.

Your not going to beat this, if you keep going the way you are going.
Old 09-27-20, 07:07 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

^^^^ i think ameriKa's fight against COVID is akin to the Tzar's army in 1917 > too many desertions to win the war
Old 09-28-20, 04:30 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 292 Posts
^^^^ i think ameriKa's fight against COVID is akin to the Tzar's army in 1917 > too many desertions to win the war
And the deserters are all clamouring for an orange Lenin to save them... didn't end well for them back then, won't end well for them this time either.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 09-28-20, 01:55 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

For those vaccine nerds, another conversation with Dr Paul Offit, a vaccine expert, and Joe Schwarcz et al. of the McGill OSS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l513...ead3-175933072
Old 10-05-20, 12:05 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts

Report: Moderna and Pfizer Vaccine Trial Participants Report Serious Side Effects

Five patients across the two studies apparently experienced chills, fever, and intense headaches.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...al-participan/
Old 10-05-20, 02:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

'chills, fever, and intense headaches' = 'Serious Side Effects'? How intense? And 5 out of what, 30,000? Perhaps that's an acceptable level of risk given the severity of the global pandemic.
Old 10-05-20, 04:45 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
'chills, fever, and intense headaches' = 'Serious Side Effects'? How intense? And 5 out of what, 30,000? Perhaps that's an acceptable level of risk given the severity of the global pandemic.

as long as you die and I don't. My life is worth preserving even if the economy blips
Old 10-05-20, 04:59 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

How does this compare to other (non-covid) vaccines?
Old 10-05-20, 05:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I've heard sometimes people react to the annual flu vaccine, I don't know if people ever die, or have 'intense headaches', but probably chills&fever (i.e. mini-flu) are among the reactions
Old 10-06-20, 08:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9655 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,311 Posts
I've heard sometimes people react to the annual flu vaccine, I don't know if people ever die, or have 'intense headaches', but probably chills&fever (i.e. mini-flu) are among the reactions
I typically react to the flu vaccine... mild chills and fever... some muscle ache.

I recently had a shingles shot... that really knocked me out... within about 2-3 hours I had pretty intense muscle ache, and mild fever and general lack of energy. It was a pain just to move a computer mouse around... seriously. I went to bed early that night, but woke up the next morning feeling fine with little more than an awareness of the shot site.

Sure, it was a reaction... but nothing that wasn't easily handled, and worth it for the benefit of avoiding a further illness.
Old 10-06-20, 08:40 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

From the link:
On a more positive note, all three Moderna trial participants and one in the Pfizer trial reported that their side effects, while intense, melted away after at most one day. All five, meanwhile, expressed the belief that the discomfort they experienced will be worth it for the value of the research being undertaken. Both of the trials in question are phase 3 studies that have tens of thousands of participants. And because they are double-blind, neither the patients nor the medical workers inoculating them know whether any given individual is getting the vaccine or a placebo.

Yeah, so 5 out of tens of thousands, with symptoms that 'melted away after at most one day', sounds like not a significant concern.
Old 10-06-20, 08:41 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9655 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,311 Posts
There was a report that one reported side effect stopped a trial a while back... I would call this "a serious side effect..."

AstraZeneca has not confirmed that the patient was afflicted with transverse myelitis, but Nath and another neurologist said they understood this to be the case. Transverse myelitis produces a set of symptoms involving inflammation along the spinal cord that can cause pain, muscle weakness and paralysis. Britain’s regulatory body, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, reviewed the case and has allowed the trial to resume in the United Kingdom.
https://khn.org/news/nih-and-fda-exa...vaccine-trial/
Old 10-06-20, 08:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yah, that is definitely more serious, and it sounds like the authorities are investigating as well as they can (and Astra-Zeneca is maybe not being sufficiently transparent). This was interesting:
The precise cause of the disease is key to the decision by authorities whether to resume the trial. Sometimes an underlying medical condition is “unmasked” by a person’s immune response to the vaccine, leading to illness, as happened with the MS patient. In that case, the trial might be continued without fear, because the illness was not specific to the vaccine.More worrisome is a phenomenon called “molecular mimicry.” In such cases, some small piece of the vaccine may be similar to tissue in the brain or spinal cord, resulting in an immune attack on that tissue in response to a vaccine component. Should that be the case, another occurrence of transverse myelitis would be likely if the trial resumed, said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease specialist at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. A second case would shut down the trial, he said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.