Old 10-28-20, 11:30 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Nobody is being given " an unpredictable virus." Not sure what you mean by this, but no vaccine program involves injecting people with Covid-19. Basically, the vaccines are viruses that produce the CV-19 protein or cause your cells to produce that protein. The theory is that the immune system will develop antibodies that attack that protein. The protein is not the part of the COVID-19 virus that causes the harm. .
appreciate the explanation of how vaccines work. "vaxspaining" ? here's the concept to which I humbly refer.. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02821-4
Old 10-28-20, 11:34 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

Dr Fauci warns that early COVID-19 vaccines will only prevent symptoms from arising - not block infection

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...infection.html
That's entirely inconsistent with my understanding, from what I have read of the vaccines. Any of our resident bio-aware members care to comment on this?

If it only blocks symptoms, does that mean that the vaccinated can still transmit the disease to others?

Old 10-28-20, 12:00 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 4718 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

Healthy volunteers look set to be infected with Covid as part of new U.K. 'challenge trial'

https://news.yahoo.com/healthy-volun...063036273.html
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
Giving healthy people an unpredictable virus we've only been studying for 9 months? Ethically dubious at best.
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Nobody is being given " an unpredictable virus." Not sure what you mean by this, but no vaccine program involves injecting people with Covid-19. Basically, the vaccines are viruses that produce the CV-19 protein or cause your cells to produce that protein. The theory is that the immune system will develop antibodies that attack that protein. The protein is not the part of the COVID-19 virus that causes the harm. .
I think bnbb is referring to the article you linked where a trial vaccine is given and then the volunteers are exposed to covid-19
Old 10-28-20, 01:32 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 378 Posts
Rather than waiting like dinosaurs wishing for warmer weather ameriKa should be focused on how to manage and live with COVID and similar epidemics because there are very very few apolitical scientists that foresee any immediate end to the COVID pandemic. Wherever people gather COVID will spread and spread and spread. No vaccine is coming to Smallville USA anytime soon.
Old 10-28-20, 02:04 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I think bnbb is referring to the article you linked where a trial vaccine is given and then the volunteers are exposed to covid-19

I see that now, but I didn't link it. Actually I missed it which is why I didn't know what BNBB was responding to.
Old 11-09-20, 10:00 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Pfizer announces that their vaccine has an efficacy of >90%.
Pfizer and partner BioNTech said Monday that their vaccine against Covid-19 was strongly effective, exceeding expectations with results that are likely to be met with cautious excitement — and relief — in the face of the global pandemic.

The vaccine is the first to be tested in the United States to generate late-stage data. The companies said an early analysis of the results showed that individuals who received two injections of the vaccine three weeks apart experienced more than 90% fewer cases of symptomatic Covid-19 than those who received a placebo. For months, researchers have cautioned that a vaccine that might only be 60% or 70% effective.

The Phase 3 study is ongoing and additional data could affect results.

In keeping with guidance from the Food and Drug Administration, the companies will not file for an emergency use authorization to distribute the vaccine until they reach another milestone: when half of the patients in their study have been observed for any safety issues for at least two months following their second dose. Pfizer expects to cross that threshold in the third week of November.
Very preliminary data and many cautions apply. I would be cautiously optimistic, but this is definitely good news

.Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech is strongly effective, early data from large trial indicate
Likes For skookum:
Old 11-09-20, 10:02 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 971 Posts
I hope this is right. If it is, it will be great news.

[sarcasm]Maybe enough to sway the Electoral College.[/sarcasm]
Likes For wgscott:
Old 11-09-20, 02:49 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 96 Posts
Really encouraging, as the stock market said loudly today. More interesting color on the story here, and some notable caveats: Nature article
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 12-15-20, 11:22 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

A black market for vaccines has emerged in China.
Chinese coronavirus vaccines that are yet to be approved by regulators have appeared for sale on the black market.

Online sellers are offering Chinese-made vaccines for as much as 7,000 yuan (£800) for two doses. The price is nearly 20 times the reported regular price for the jab, according to state media.

Both Sinopharm and Sinovac, the two drug companies that are conducting final-phase trials of their candidate vaccines, have warned the public not to buy the vaccines online, according to Global Times, a state-run newspaper.
The Chinese having developed something like four or five vaccines that are in phase 3 trials, have not released any detailed data on efficacy or safety, despite having vaccinated over a million people in China, and exporting vaccines to a number of countries that have granted emergency approval (UAE, Bahrain).

One online seller told an undercover newspaper reporter that she could secure two doses of a vaccine developed by Sinopharm for 3,000 yuan. She promised that the shots would be administered in a premium public hospital and assured her potential customer that the jab would be safe as none of her prior clients had reported any adverse reactions.

Some of the online accounts claim a link to Sinopharm or Sinovac, with one even describing himself as a Sinopharm employee who could offer the “quickest fast track” in the registration process.
The Times
Old 12-16-20, 04:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13014 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,302 Posts
The vaccine is on the way.

From Monday's Oregon Health Authority Report.

35,100 doses sounds like a lot, but with 4.2 Million Oregonians, that will be enough to dose just under 1 in 100. And, so far, I believe all doses are going to medical staff and nursing homes.

I know a few elderly community members with diabetes that have been on edge since the pandemic began. One snatched up a box of nitrile work gloves I had picked up just before everything went bonkers. Unfortunately, it is still a socially isolated waiting game.

Hospitals mentioned were in Portland although yesterday's report indicated the vaccine was also arriving in Ontario, Oregon.
First doses are delivered in Oregon, with more to come

Legacy Health is the first registered COVID-19 vaccine provider in the state to receive the vaccine, made by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE. The health system’s Holladay Park site in Portland and Meridian Park site in Tualatin each received one package of 975 doses today at around 7 a.m.

Additional doses are expected at three other locations in Oregon on Tuesday: Oregon Health & Science University Pharmacy, Kaiser Permanente’s Airport Way Center in Portland and St. Alphonsus Medical Center in Ontario also are each expected to receive 975-dose packages of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

The remaining 30,225 Pfizer vaccine doses from this week’s 35,100-dose allocation for Oregon will arrive at hospitals throughout the rest of the week, with 10,725 doses going to skilled nursing facilities for vaccinations that start next week.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention asked Oregon to choose the initial sites as a way to test the system that providers around the state are using to order the vaccine.

The shipments took place after a U.S. Food and Drug Administration decision on Friday to issue an emergency use authorization for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which was found in Phase 3 clinical trials to be 95% effective and, in most people, cause only mild to moderate, short-lived side effects.

Most Oregon hospitals and health systems that registered as vaccine provider sites are expected to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine over the next two weeks. Follow-up shipments are anticipated on Dec. 22 and Dec. 29. In addition, a vaccine manufactured by Moderna Inc., which has not yet received FDA emergency use authorization, is also scheduled for delivery in Oregon on Dec. 22 and Dec. 29.

In all, public health officials anticipate there will be enough of the two vaccines to provide first doses to about 100,000 people, with second doses following in January.
Old 12-18-20, 06:26 AM
HardHard
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for me, I don't believe these first variants of vaccines. I would like to wait
Old 12-18-20, 12:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 748 Posts
So it's not enough for you that the Moderna trials had over 30,000 participants in the US (presumably many in the UK as well) and Pfizer had 43,538 participants?
Old 12-18-20, 01:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13014 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by HardHard View Post
As for me, I don't believe these first variants of vaccines. I would like to wait
I won't have a lot of choice on waiting. The Pfizer vaccine is shipping such low quantities that I won't get it for quite some time. The Moderna vaccine is also coming in restricted quantities.

I'm hoping that some friends and family will get the vaccine within a month or so, but it will likely be 2 or 3 months for me, if not potentially waiting till mid-summer or fall, just for production to catch up.

For better or worse, that will give plenty of time for any acute responses to show up, as well as real-world efficacy (without a control group, or using competing brands for controls).

In many senses, this vaccine should be far safer than any others that have been used. We've had a few live virus vaccines from cowpox to OPV. Many others have been inactivated whole virus particles.

In this case, we are getting the mRNA for a single protein in the virus (plus a delivery system). I do worry, however, whether we're ultimately giving a higher than normal dose of that protein, but overall any vaccination symptoms seem to resolve quickly, and the efficacy is very high.
Old 12-30-20, 11:22 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

The UK approves the Oxford-Astra Zeneca covid vaccine. The vaccine efficacy data from this one is a bit confusing.
Initially the vaccine was supposed to be administered in two full doses, like the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines. However, a mistake in the early trials saw only half a dose administered at first followed by a full second dose. That combination proved to be more effective, yielding 90 per cent protection as opposed to 62 per cent for the two-full doses. By contrast the two other vaccines showed 95 per cent efficacy during trials.

The MHRA has approved the two-full dose regime of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine and said that further data from the trials showed that it was 70 per cent effective after the initial dose. It was 80 per cent effective after the second dose, the agency added on Wednesday.
The big advantage of this one is that is does not require ultra cold refrigeration and it is cheap.

Unlike the vaccines currently in use — made by BioNTech-Pfizer and Moderna — the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine can be stored in regular refrigerators and it has been priced far lower. Scientists say that will make it easier to distribute the vaccine to doctors’ offices, seniors’ homes and throughout developing countries. AstraZeneca said it will produce three billion doses on a not-for-profit basis throughout the pandemic. The company added on Wednesday that it could soon start producing two million doses per week.
Glob and Muck
Old 12-31-20, 11:00 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

In the murky world of Chinese vaccines and approvals, Sinopharm has received the first general approval in China for its vaccine. It is an inactivated virus vaccine.
The approval followed an announcement on Wednesday by Sinopharm that phase 3 trials had found its vaccine to be 79% effective. This followed trials conducted in the UAE reporting 86% efficacy earlier in December. The vaccines have not been trialled in China because the virus is not prevalent enough, authorities say.

Chinese vaccine developers have not released trial data. On Thursday a health official said the Sinopharm data would be published “later” in Chinese and foreign medical journals.
So lots of vaccines out there, but a lack of transparency on trial data, and it looks like the big challenge will be the logistics of getting people vaccinated.

Guardian