Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18997 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,793 Posts
The Covid 19 Darwin Awards

...one will certainly go to this guy.

Texas man, 30, dies after catching coronavirus at a COVID party as nurse reveals he told her he thought the virus was a 'hoax' before he die

• The 30-year-old man purposely attended a party thrown by someone infected with coronavirus, which aims to see if any other attendees get infected
  • The man became critically ill and was admitted to the hospital where he died
  • Before his death, he told his nurse that he thought the virus was a 'hoax'
Old 07-11-20, 08:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 503 Posts
I hope he had a good time at the party.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-11-20, 08:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 868 Posts
That was my cousin I sure won’t miss him
Old 07-11-20, 08:56 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
This seems elegant to me. I don't know why.
Likes For BadGrandma:
Old 07-11-20, 09:29 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 600 Posts
My dad's often repeated phrase - be careful what you ask for.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-12-20, 04:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked 1,416 Times in 931 Posts
No confirmation of that or similar anecdotes, because doctors and nurses are constrained by privacy laws.

However the death of Richard Rose, age 37, from COVID-19, was self-verified. On social media he described his own disregard for masks and the entire pandemic back in April, partied through May-June, got sick in late June and hours before he died admitted that he'd underestimated the danger.

He seemed like an okay guy, pretty much like a lot of fellows I know. Well liked by family and friends. Military veteran with tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, where he probably wore body armor and took precautions, and trusted the military and government enough to follow orders. But somehow that didn't translate to civilian life. As a veteran myself, I have some difficulty related to that arc of disconnected logic. But my background was health care so I've always taken it seriously.
Old 07-12-20, 10:28 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Worth reading:

The Role of Cognitive Dissonance in the Pandemic

Dissonance is most painful when evidence strikes at the heart of how we see ourselves—when it threatens our belief that we are kind, ethical, competent, or smart. The minute we make any decision—I’ll buy this car; I will vote for this candidate; I think COVID-19 is serious; no, I’m sure it is a hoax—we will begin to justify the wisdom of our choice and find reasons to dismiss the alternative. Before long, any ambivalence we might have felt at the time of the original decision will have morphed into certainty. As people justify each step taken after the original decision, they will find it harder to admit they were wrong at the outset.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-16-20, 02:06 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts

These Bros Offered Free Face Masks To California Beachgoers. It Didn't Go Well.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/free-...001110928.html
Old 07-16-20, 10:55 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Was at state park today with other people enjoying the river to cool off. I was glad everyone kept a distance and was respectful. No masks but this obviously is outdoors in the country. I feel like I was safe. Now crowded indoors I’m not so sure. Most states parks are open in a Texas but they only let in a certain number of people. I got my day pass the day before to make sure it was open. Printed the pass off the computer.
Old 07-17-20, 05:08 AM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 113 Posts
Old 07-17-20, 06:12 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts

Florida dad, 42, is fighting for life after his son ignored his parents' advice and went out with friends without a mask and infected his whole family with COVID-19

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ID-19-son.html
Old 07-17-20, 08:16 AM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

Florida dad, 42, is fighting for life after his son ignored his parents' advice and went out with friends without a mask and infected his whole family with COVID-19

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ID-19-son.html

Place's wife Michelle Zymet said she begged her stepson, who was not named, to be cautious for his father who is overweight and diabetic

That is a stretch. I have had an employee who was a corporate director of an epidemiology department in a large teaching hospital. Infectious diseases are not easy to trace. My other sources are a Doc at church who is a regional expert on diabetes. *(became diabetic in his 70's and lived into his 80's) Our nephew who is a diabetic and drug rep selling diabetic meds and supplies. 5 girls in our family that are university track stars.

My background includes harvesting veins for open heart by-pass surgeries. (many thousands of hours behind a surgical mask)

Most all the cases have comormidity.

No proof he picked up virus at the party. No way to rule out another source for the unhealthy father.

Back to a POINT from me.

This is a biking board and if you use biking cardio activities for years (I rode 130 miles last week) count on a superior immune system and pneumo profile.

A fresh clean mask is good for today sorta.

Social distancing is good for today.......... maybe maybe not.

Exertion and building a strong cardio system is very strong for many years forward in immunity strength and recovery.

Some jerk hits you biking and you end up in traction pulling 5 directions, your risk of even deep vein thrombosis is lower and you will recover quicker.

Wear a mask, avoid dirty mobs, but do everything you can to keep biking outdoors.
Old 07-17-20, 09:29 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Pouhana View Post
That is a stretch. I have had an employee who was a corporate director of an epidemiology department in a large teaching hospital. Infectious diseases are not easy to trace. My other sources are a Doc at church who is a regional expert on diabetes. *(became diabetic in his 70's and lived into his 80's) Our nephew who is a diabetic and drug rep selling diabetic meds and supplies. 5 girls in our family that are university track stars.

My background includes harvesting veins for open heart by-pass surgeries. (many thousands of hours behind a surgical mask)
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
An argumentfromauthority (argumentum ab auctoritate), also called an appeal to authority, or argumentum ad verecundiam, is a form of defeasible argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument. It is well known as a fallacy, ...

Most all the cases have comormidity.

No proof he picked up virus at the party. No way to rule out another source for the unhealthy father.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Argumentfromignorance (from Latin: argumentum ad ignorantiam), also known as appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence"), is a fallacy in informal logic.It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false or a proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true.

Back to a POINT from me.

This is a biking board and if you use biking cardio activities for years (I rode 130 miles last week) count on a superior immune system and pneumo profile.
...while good advice, not everyone can do this. I do, you do, some of the people here do. It's not a universal solution, and won't do much to control this pandemic. It's social Darwinism for the fit.

A fresh clean mask is good for today sorta.

Social distancing is good for today.......... maybe maybe not.

Exertion and building a strong cardio system is very strong for many years forward in immunity strength and recovery.

Some jerk hits you biking and you end up in traction pulling 5 directions, your risk of even deep vein thrombosis is lower and you will recover quicker.

Wear a mask, avoid dirty mobs, but do everything you can to keep biking outdoors.
...again, social Darwinism based on fitness profiles is one solution. It's not much of an answer to the problem except in a small group of the population as a whole. If it were, we'd have a much healthier and fitter population already. People die from stuff that is preventable by lifestyle changes all the time. This is not something new, different, or even very interesting.
Old 07-17-20, 09:41 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Was at state park today with other people enjoying the river to cool off. I was glad everyone kept a distance and was respectful. No masks but this obviously is outdoors in the country. I feel like I was safe. Now crowded indoors I’m not so sure. Most states parks are open in a Texas but they only let in a certain number of people. I got my day pass the day before to make sure it was open. Printed the pass off the computer.
Pretty much my experience too. You're generally safe out of doors, but give people a wide berth and keep your contact ephemeral.

I'm finding people's responses to this pandemic completely puzzling. On one hand, you have people who are literally afraid to go out to a pharmacy to get needed medication. I know several people in this situation, and they are not people at high risk.

On the other hand, there is this. How can anyone think this is a good idea? OMG.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ge/5449754002/

I guess we all have different levels of risk tolerance. Mine is generally fairly high, but this ^ is not a calculated risk. It's just plain stupid. Or is it lack of impulse control?

Likes For Biker395:
Old 07-17-20, 09:56 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

I average around 120 miles a week on the bike and don’t smoke. Never get sick. Beer is a vice but not everyday or in an irresponsible manner. Hopefully Darwinism will find me as one that should make it . I promote beer on my quotes quite a bit but I don’t drink as much as it looks. There would be no way to keep bicycling and hiking as much as like to do being drunk and hungover. I wear a mask every time I’m in a grocery store or a convenience store. No underlying conditions except slightly elevated BP which is controlled so I worry about that. Circulation system in top shape and I’m guessing my immune system is firing on all cylinders. BUT I’m not going to take any unnecessary chances.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-17-20, 10:07 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Pretty much my experience too. You're generally safe out of doors, but give people a wide berth and keep your contact ephemeral.

I'm finding people's responses to this pandemic completely puzzling. On one hand, you have people who are literally afraid to go out to a pharmacy to get needed medication. I know several people in this situation, and they are not people at high risk.

On the other hand, there is this. How can anyone think this is a good idea? OMG.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ge/5449754002/

I guess we all have different levels of risk tolerance. Mine is generally fairly high, but this ^ is not a calculated risk. It's just plain stupid. Or is it lack of impulse control?
The beaches in Texas are closed. Some beaches they are on top of each other like a bed of fire ants! Some Texas rivers I will not go to because of the density of people. Easy to find empty spaces here especially away from the population centers. A crowded beach on a very popular party strip with drunks slobbering on each other
Old 07-18-20, 08:05 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Ohio veteran, 37, who went viral for refusing to wear a mask, died of COVID-19

Rose’s death gained notoriety on social media after expressing that he was “not buying a (expletive) mask” less than three months before his death.

“I’ve made it this far by not buying into that damn hype,” he said in a post published April 28....

Rose used the social media platform to post about going to one local bar, S&M Bar, three times in June. He also went out of town, to Put-in-Bay, in June.

Rose tested positive on July 1, confirming his illness in a Facebook post in which he explained he would be in quarantine for 14 days.

Earlier that day, he posted that he had gotten a test. “I just want to feel good again!” he said.
...and so it goes.
Old 07-18-20, 08:29 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
The beaches in Texas are closed. Some beaches they are on top of each other like a bed of fire ants! Some Texas rivers I will not go to because of the density of people. Easy to find empty spaces here especially away from the population centers. A crowded beach on a very popular party strip with drunks slobbering on each other
> BOLIVAR is "closed" but no enforcement because beach home owners complained ? Galveston i think is being enforced
Old 07-18-20, 09:21 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Nueces County new-a-sess. 85 infants have COVID-19. Basically Corpus Christi, Texas. They are asking San Antonio people to stay away since the beaches there are very popular with SA people. Interstate 37 is a straight shot. I miss surf fishing but I’m staying around here this summer. Long day trips is vacation substitute for now.
Old 07-18-20, 04:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11929 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
+1. I took a three-day tour starting the Wednesday before July 4th. NJ state park. Campgrounds are limited to 50% capacity. I skipped showers and had to use the indoor restroom only twice. Both times were at off hours. Both times the lights were off, which meant no one had been inside for a while. On the way back to the train I rode a couple of crowded boardwalks. Put my mask on for those segments. There were no more than 4 people in my train car section.