Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20120 Post(s)
Liked 3,319 Times in 2,423 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Has Chuck Woolery joined BF?
...I wonder what Chuck Woolery would choose for an anonymous username ? Wooley Chuck ?
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-15-20, 03:09 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...my viewpoint is that your premise is deeply flawed.

...I have been an orchardist for much of my adult life. I grow Minneola Tangelo in my front yard. I am grateful for the efforts of the guys who hybridized and distributed this fruit variety. It is a solid, dependable producer for me here.

...whether or not you are trying to prove anything, clearly you don't understand argument from ignorance well enough to know when you've just used it.

...if this were true, you would be posting in English instead of making me use Google Translate.

...not certain what it is you're trying to say here, and Google Translate was no help on this part. Anyway, I now have more stuff I have to do.
I have a line on a Holdsworth Professional in my size, and it's an hour and a half drive from me.
Buy it... And post some pics.

I have one built at the Putney Shop in 1967 and I Love it.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 07-15-20, 03:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 828 Posts
I had a wonderful well producing Minneola Tangelo in my backyard. Favorite citrus. I raised it from one of those $2 damaged 5 gallon specials at the back of the nursery. It was just a stick with one leaf.

But a few years ago it got a virus and died.
Old 07-15-20, 03:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12495 Post(s)
Liked 4,603 Times in 2,374 Posts
...I wonder what Chuck Woolery would choose for an anonymous username ? Wooley Chuck ?
Maybe Chuck Pot or Crack Pot.
Old 07-15-20, 03:56 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
>>> feel free to correct any factual inaccuracy. i do not see where the "question" of whether COVID is a man caused hybridization is a factual assertion of any kind. to conclude that COVID is a chance evolvement of a viral pathogen is to disregard the history of viral evolvements because heretofore all evidence is that whatever the virus, climate & host limitations existed ( herpes HIV ebola) whereas with COVID none seem to exist. how can the common dominator of COVID be that it has no common denominator??? if the answer is hybridization so be it.
Crack pot has a point. This virus is not natural. So the answer to that is the virus was made by space aliens with collaboration of traitorous Icarus bats to >>>>>> rule the world !!!! <<<<<<
Sorta like Pinky and the Brain, only more sinister.
Old 07-15-20, 04:55 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I had a wonderful well producing Minneola Tangelo in my backyard. Favorite citrus. I raised it from one of those $2 damaged 5 gallon specials at the back of the nursery. It was just a stick with one leaf.

But a few years ago it got a virus and died.

... the orchardist's dilemma. I lost a nice, heavily producing Royal Anne cherry here ten or twelve years ago to some kind of mysterious root fungus. I really loved that tree.The one's I've planted since do not produce nearly as well, I think because the bee population has gone down so far in the ensuing years. The citrus all produces and attracts plenty of bees, though.

The weather is warmer when the citrus is in flower, there are 8 or 10 different citrus trees, and I only have two cherry trees.

I guess I could blame it on conspiracy, but I think it's just a result of natural conditions here changing.
Old 07-15-20, 05:23 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
... the orchardist's dilemma. I lost a nice, heavily producing Royal Anne cherry here ten or twelve years ago to some kind of mysterious root fungus. I really loved that tree.The one's I've planted since do not produce nearly as well, I think because the bee population has gone down so far in the ensuing years. The citrus all produces and attracts plenty of bees, though.

The weather is warmer when the citrus is in flower, there are 8 or 10 different citrus trees, and I only have two cherry trees.

I guess I could blame it on conspiracy, but I think it's just a result of natural conditions here changing.
It must be a conspiracy! You're just not thinking hard enough.
Likes For skookum:
Old 07-15-20, 05:26 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Suppose it is manmade? Exactly what difference does that make?
None whatsoever, in terms of any practical outcomes. This is the primary failing of most conspiracy theories.
Old 07-15-20, 06:13 PM
clubman 
Youngman Grand

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Crack pot has a point. This virus is not natural. So the answer to that is the virus was made by space aliens with collaboration of traitorous Icarus bats to >>>>>> rule the world !!!! <<<<<<
Sorta like Pinky and the Brain, only more sinister.
Ren & Stimpy!
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-15-20, 08:30 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Just an awesome song, it brings back memories when our band played it in the 80ís. This was also a great album!
Likes For Bizman:
Old 07-16-20, 02:51 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked 1,681 Times in 1,064 Posts
Yup, went to see OZZY when he pulled the pee on the Alamo stunt. Next day at school I was a celebrity with my Ozzy concert shirt and the lectures from the old religious teachers that didn’t understand. Then I got older and it was Metallica , Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer. To many a downward spiral but you are entitled to whatever belief you choose. Depressed today because all 2020 concerts are shelved to 2021 and I’m not sure 2021 will be a go.
Old 07-16-20, 04:43 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
None whatsoever, in terms of any practical outcomes. This is the primary failing of most conspiracy theories.
>>> if COVID is the result of man caused hybridization it does not necessarily follow that there was some CONSPIRACY associated with its origin, it merely explains that COVID was lab created. historically nations, large corps and institutions spin facts to cover up their failures (ie CHERNOBYL > reactor & MONSANTO > roundup & CIA>domestic spying). how facts are veiled or spun is what tantalizes the tin drummers to began their noise play. im just saying that a stupid mistake in some far off lab is not out of the question . to the extent a COVID conspiracy exists it exists as to how the virus entered the population and NOT AS TO HOW COVID-19 CAME TO BE. you are correct that the practical outcome is not changed by COVID's origins BUT at high levels of state the origin of COVID presents many many policy questions that have imminent and far reaching consequences.
Old 07-16-20, 07:44 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

... BUT at high levels of state the origin of COVID presents many many policy questions that have imminent and far reaching consequences.
...like what, exactly ?
Old 07-16-20, 08:23 AM
Wileyone 

Why do people keep making Covid-19 a political entity? It is not political it is medical. If politicians "listened" to their Medical experts they would be in a far better place.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 07-16-20, 08:45 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 377 Posts
...like what, exactly ?
it goes like this > whether a forest fire was deliberately set , the result of negligence or, an act of nature matters little to the firemen charged with the immediate needs of putting out the fire.this is what 79moons & wg say and i agree but it doesn't stop there. with COVID the health/science professionals are analogous to firemen. HOWEVER the question as to whether the fire was caused by a deliberate act, a negligent act or an act of god is of paramount importance to the land owner. in the case of COVID, "one" of the land owners is the USA. if there is scientific consensus that COVID-19 is a lab hybridization the ramifications become exponentially more complex than if COVID is a happenstance of nature. the reaction(s) of nation states present scenarios that are as unbounded in danger as the virus itself. how the POTUS or NATO or any collection of nation states would react is absolutely unclear. the simple Q raised by my hypothesis is, what would a guy do if his neighbor burned trash during a BURN BAN and not only did the guys farm go up but a whole valley went up in smoke>magnify that by a billion and you have a COVID . so what would you do if you were POTUS and you had a "credible evidence" that COVID was lab bred ???
Old 07-16-20, 08:58 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by crack pot View Post
>>> if COVID is the result of man caused hybridization
What if it is the result of bat-induced hybridization? What if it is the result of a natural progress of single point mutations from SARS-CoV-1, with which it shares 80% sequence homology?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/jmv.25762

https://www.gisaid.org

Are all these scientists a conspiracy of liars covering the tracks of who knows what? Your post-modern, post-logic, post-fact, randomly punctuated garbage is quite insulting.

Last edited by wgscott; 07-16-20 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 07-16-20, 09:03 AM
Wileyone 

it goes like this > whether a forest fire was deliberately set , the result of negligence or, an act of nature matters little to the firemen charged with the immediate needs of putting out the fire.this is what 79moons & wg say and i agree but it doesn't stop there. with COVID the health/science professionals are analogous to firemen. HOWEVER the question as to whether the fire was caused by a deliberate act, a negligent act or an act of god is of paramount importance to the land owner. in the case of COVID, "one" of the land owners is the USA. if there is scientific consensus that COVID-19 is a lab hybridization the ramifications become exponentially more complex than if COVID is a happenstance of nature. the reaction(s) of nation states present scenarios that are as unbounded in danger as the virus itself. how the POTUS or NATO or any collection of nation states would react is absolutely unclear. the simple Q raised by my hypothesis is, what would a guy do if his neighbor burned trash during a BURN BAN and not only did the guys farm go up but a whole valley went up in smoke>magnify that by a billion and you have a COVID . so what would you do if you were POTUS and you had a "credible evidence" that COVID was lab bred ???
Your "Potus" seems to think baked beans deserve more of his attention.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 07-16-20, 09:06 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post
Baked? Are you talking about the beans or jack?
Old 07-16-20, 09:07 AM
Wileyone 

Baked? Are you talking about the beans or jack?
You really needed to ask?
Old 07-16-20, 09:10 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I know those are not baked beans. Doh!
Old 07-16-20, 09:12 AM
Wileyone 

I know those are not baked beans. Doh!
You just don't get it do you...
Old 07-16-20, 09:15 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Probably not. Only halfway through my first cup.
Old 07-16-20, 09:19 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

... so what would you do if you were POTUS and you had a "credible evidence" that COVID was lab bred ???
...we only have one POTUS at a time, and I am not it right now. The guy who is it will either do nothing (most likely scnario), or something that makes things worse (also not unprecedented). But this is political in nature, and you should take it to teh P+R if this is what you want to discuss. I don't go there any more, so I'm off the hook either way.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-16-20, 09:20 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

...that man always appears happiest when he is pitching a product. People should stick to what makes them happy.
Old 07-16-20, 09:32 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

You just don't get it do you...
OK. It is bugging me. Explain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.