Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Covid-19

Old 07-16-20, 09:51 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
What if it is the result of bat-induced hybridization? What if it is the result of a natural progress of single point mutations from SARS-CoV-1, with which it shares 80% sequence homology?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/jmv.25762

https://www.gisaid.org

Are all these scientists a conspiracy of liars covering the tracks of who knows what? Your post-modern, post-logic, post-fact, randomly punctuated garbage is quite insulting.
Agreed.

I am trying to learn to not feed the trolls. It's not so easy.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-16-20, 10:43 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
What if it is the result of bat-induced hybridization? What if it is the result of a natural progress of single point mutations from SARS-CoV-1, with which it shares 80% sequence homology?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/jmv.25762

https://www.gisaid.org
i am not insulting you or any open minded person and i agree that the current publicly available scientific consensus tends toward SARS/bat hypotheses. that said, this current view is stressed by public fears and should under no circumstances diminish continued scientific inquiries at definitively identifying the origin of COVID-19. i believe that identifying the origins of COVID-19 is as important as any vaccine or treatment because unless the origins of COVID are better understood any remedy(s) be will topical at best. i believe that the quicker that COVID's origin is ID'd the better any medical remedy will be.
Old 07-16-20, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12495 Post(s)
Liked 4,603 Times in 2,374 Posts
Someone in my NJ office has tested positive. Last day in the office was 7/8. Positive test date was 7/14. I was in that office on 7/7. Most people work from home regularly. I come here usually 2 days/week. My employer does contact tracing. No one has said anything to me, so I doubt I had any close contact with them. Hope they recover well.
Old 07-16-20, 11:05 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Someone in my NJ office has tested positive. Last day in the office was 7/8. Positive test date was 7/14. I was in that office on 7/7. Most people work from home regularly. I come here usually 2 days/week. My employer does contact tracing. No one has said anything to me, so I doubt I had any close contact with them. Hope they recover well.
Best wishes for a benign outcome.

It's good that your employer does contract tracing. Of course, this is something that should be centrally organized, which is to say, done by the government. After all, not all cases are occurring with people who even have employers. But obviously that's beyond us.
Old 07-16-20, 11:21 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post

It's good that your employer does contract tracing.
In my experience, my employer is on the ball. I came down with something back at the end of March or beginning of April. Got digestive issues one Sunday night. Woke up Monday morning feeling very fatigued and feeling like someone had beaten me all over with a lead pipe. However, I don't think I had a fever (I had left my thermometer at work) and never had any respiratory problems. Nonetheless, I emailed my PCP who told me to presume I was positive, quarantine accordingly and only seek medical assistance if I developed breathing problems. I then alerted my employer per its protocol. That afternoon I got a phone call and was quizzed as to my recent whereabouts office-wise and who I may have come into close contact with. Fortunately, I had not been in either office in probably close to two weeks. I had gone to NJ one morning for a closing on St. Patrick's Day and left before noon, but that was it. Monday was the only day I did not do at least some work. By Friday I was probably back to 75% and 100% by early the following week. I was not allowed to return to the office until I got an written "ok" from my PCP.
Old 07-16-20, 11:30 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 1,135 Times in 779 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
... if you were POTUS and you had a "credible evidence" that COVID was lab bred ???
Obviously, take us into WW3 to punish the wrong doing country. Or start a cold war with them. This puts us in a much safer, better known place. (Doesn't it? Brings back memories of the Nike missile base on the hill in the town I grew up in that I could not ride up because it was blocked off and the parking lot of loaded missile trailers pointed at the sky we used to drive past on the way to the beach. I had classmates with bomb shelters in their basements.)

Both cold war and WW# would be very good for the defense industry, Wall St and the portfolio of said POTUS. With trickle down, all good.

Or, we could just suck it up, This happened. We straighten up, act like model citizens of the world, get our act together and put shame on whoever we now know did this so it looks like a less attractive stunt to pull in the future.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-16-20, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
The variable isn't weather, it's human reaction to weather. What's increasingly obvious is the best way to spread this is gathering groups of people indoors. Thus we saw the biggest increase in March in the northeast as people were indoors at the tail end of winter.

Where we're seeing it spread rapidly right now is where people are gathering in large numbers indoors because they like air conditioning.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-16-20, 01:13 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
it goes like this > whether a forest fire was deliberately set , the result of negligence or, an act of nature matters little to the firemen charged with the immediate needs of putting out the fire.this is what 79moons & wg say and i agree but it doesn't stop there. with COVID the health/science professionals are analogous to firemen. HOWEVER the question as to whether the fire was caused by a deliberate act, a negligent act or an act of god is of paramount importance to the land owner. in the case of COVID, "one" of the land owners is the USA. if there is scientific consensus that COVID-19 is a lab hybridization the ramifications become exponentially more complex than if COVID is a happenstance of nature. the reaction(s) of nation states present scenarios that are as unbounded in danger as the virus itself. how the POTUS or NATO or any collection of nation states would react is absolutely unclear. the simple Q raised by my hypothesis is, what would a guy do if his neighbor burned trash during a BURN BAN and not only did the guys farm go up but a whole valley went up in smoke>magnify that by a billion and you have a COVID . so what would you do if you were POTUS and you had a "credible evidence" that COVID was lab bred ???
Since we are not POTUS and there is no credible evidence this was made in a lab all the discussions are rhetorical and hypothetical. There is no difference if asking if you were king/monarch/dictator/CEO/ with access to nuclear arms and had Covid but won a trillion dollars, what would you do?

What would you do if pigs could fly **********
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 07-16-20, 02:35 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Crack pot has a point. This virus is not natural. So the answer to that is the virus was made by space aliens with collaboration of traitorous Icarus bats to >>>>>> rule the world !!!! <<<<<<
Sorta like Pinky and the Brain, only more sinister.
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Since we are not POTUS and there is no credible evidence this was made in a lab all the discussions are rhetorical and hypothetical. There is no difference if asking if you were king/monarch/dictator/CEO/ with access to nuclear arms and had Covid but won a trillion dollars, what would you do?

What would you do if pigs could fly **********
> maybe i should have put it like this, "what would YOU want the POTUS to do?". and as for the flying pigs quip, here's a tip, words have a flow that the slow don't always know, so at the right given time you can look to the sky and i bet you can find >some cops in a heli taking pics on the fly so cover your face & pedal fast cause those flying pigs gonna get the last laugh <<< that is truly a bad but isolation plays tricks
Old 07-16-20, 03:55 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 971 Posts
"what would YOU want the POTUS to do?"
Put someone competent in charge, and get out of the way (or better, resign).

That is true regardless of the (irrelevant) origin of the virus.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 07-16-20, 04:10 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 20120 Post(s)
Liked 3,317 Times in 2,421 Posts
> maybe i should have put it like this, "what would YOU want the POTUS to do?".
...there's no way I can answer this without it turning political, but suffice it to say the pooch is now screwed so badly, I won't need to worry about it past January of next year.
The pooch has been hammered so hard and repeatedly on this one that I can hear it whimpering and begging for a little mercy. This is a pooch who will walk bowlegged for a long time.
Old 07-16-20, 06:00 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

My avatar is hoping this isn't directed toward her.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 07-16-20, 06:51 PM
indyfabz

Goya oh boya!
Old 07-16-20, 09:46 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup, went to see OZZY when he pulled the pee on the Alamo stunt. Next day at school I was a celebrity with my Ozzy concert shirt and the lectures from the old religious teachers that didn’t understand. Then I got older and it was Metallica , Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer. To many a downward spiral but you are entitled to whatever belief you choose. Depressed today because all 2020 concerts are shelved to 2021 and I’m not sure 2021 will be a go.
I can’t remember the year but saw Ozzie & Metallica in Johnstown, Pa at the War Memorial. It was right before Cliff Burton died. I remember Cliff came up in the stands and sat down on the roped off back stage side a few seats from me to watch Ozzy. Both bands were awesome. I know the feeling of depression as my Pro Audio business has been at a stand still and yesterday the governor just clamped down harder on the clubs now down to only 25 % occupancy including staff. I haven’t turned a sound board knob since my last night of work on March 7th, I miss my work and working with all the different bands, COVID is destroying our industry.

Last edited by Bizman; 07-19-20 at 10:20 PM. Reason: I meant to say Cliff Burton came up to watch Ozzy, not Metallica. Cliff played bass with Metallica and they played first.
Likes For Bizman:
Old 07-16-20, 09:54 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
I canít remember the year but saw Ozzie & Metallica in Johnstown, Pa at the War Memorial. It was right before Cliff Burton died. I remember Cliff came up in the stands and sat down on the roped off back stage side a few seats from me to watch Metallica. Both bands were awesome. I know the feeling of depression as my Pro Audio business has been at a stand still and yesterday the governor just clamped down harder on the clubs now down to only 25 % occupancy including staff. I havenít turned a sound board knob since my last night of work on March 7th, I miss my work and working with all the different bands, COVID is destroying our industry.
I hear you, I was a regular at a local jam. A woman there who both loved to dance and loved my playing was coming up on two years into level 3 breast cancer, chemo, surgery, the works. Playing for her was easily the most important part of my week.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-17-20, 04:09 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
This thread could be an interesting experience, what happens when 90% of the posters have the op on ignore?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-17-20, 04:37 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
This thread could be an interesting experience, what happens when 90% of the posters have the op on ignore?
>>>>> Great idea ___________

Now it is 95%.

Old 07-20-20, 11:59 AM
maschwab
Mike Schwab

Bikes: Burley Django, Rans VII w/ xtracycle, Sun EZ-1, Waterford road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i would like to know how COVID-19 can thrive without regard to any climate factors such as heat or cold or humid or arid. COVID-19 produces a broad range of symptoms. COVID-19 affects all races. COVID-19 affects all ages. COVID-19 appears to reinfect those that have had it and recovered. i can find no similarity between COVID-19 and any other life form. While COVID-19 doesn't always disable its mere presence is sufficient to cause mass disruptions of ALL aspects of modernity. COVID-19 isolates people and makes them subject to remote authorities. these general factors taken along with many many more specific aspects of COVID-19 make it seem so unnatural. add in that recent "media" & open source intelligence has avoided the MANMADE hypothesis and you have a uniquely unnatural phenomenon that will disrupt into the foreseeable future.
COVID-19 is a Corona Virus. About 15-35% of common colds are Corona Viruses. And after you recover from the cold, you can get sick again.

In COVID-19, after 14 days, you aren't spreading the live virus anymore, but you can still test positive and suffer for months, possibly for a lifetime. This is similar to Herpes viruses, where you suffer from cold sores from time to time when your immune system wanes, or shingles as an older adult from the chickenpox virus. Somewhat like HIV, where you can take drugs to suppress the virus and avoid active illnesses.

The H1N1 flu of 2009 was famous for being active over the summer, and when kids went back to school in the fall one kid would come in sick and within a week half the school would out and they would shut down for a week until most of the kids could come back.

There was a flu pandemic about 1889, then the next big one in 1918. What happened in that time to cause such a difference? The industrial age and electrical lighting that led everyone to spend a lot more time inside. People's Vitamin D got so low that rickets became widespread. It also turns out that without Vitamin D the immune system over reacts in the Cytokine Storm that destroys the lungs in the Flu epidemics from 1918 to 1969 and COVID-19. jamanetwork dot com slash journals slash jamainternalmedicine slash fullarticle slash 2767939

One complicating factor could also be Aspirin. After the U.S. declared war against Germany, the Aspirin patent was seized from Bayer (a German company). So generic aspirin became very cheap and MDs gave enough to keep patients temperatures down. Later, about the 1950s and 1960s, MDs finally began doing studies to determine the proper dosage for aspirin. Turns out that after a few days of high dosage the blood levels suddenly spike very high and can cause side effects that include flu symptoms. And keeping body temperatures normal during an illness can allow the virus to replicate increasing the severity of the illness. www dot sciencedaily dot com slash releases slash 2009 slash 10 slash 091002132346 dot htm Giving Aspirin during a fever to kids could also lead to Reyes Syndrome announced in the late 1970s.

So everyone should take a Magnesium pill and Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U. every day. As it also reduces other respiratory infections like seasonal flu, colds, and TB you should continue for your lifetime. And the darker your skin, the less Vitamin D you get from sunlight. 40% of light skinned Americans to 80% of dark skinned Americans have level under 20 ng/ml, if you take those pills you will get your levels over 30 and reduce the severity of your COVID19 illness if you do get sick. pubmed dot ncbi dot nlm dot nih dot gov slash 32252338 slash

Winter weather has 2 effects on respiratory viruses. One is lower sunlight, leading to lower Vitamin D, leading to lower immune response. Second is lower humidity, leading to the mucous membranes drying out and becoming easier to infect.

How to make a hybrid virus? Infect one cell (in a living being or a cell culture) with two different viruses. The mechanism for building new viruses will then randomly pick genes from both viruses. Almost none will be viable. But since thousands of viruses are created in each cell, and billions of infected cells in each living host, random chance just might result in a virus that is highly communicable and spreads widely. It could have mild effects or be deadly. And that is going to be a problem with COVID-19. If a variant develops that is much more fatal (as before Fall 2019 in Wuhan) it spreads a lot before the disease has its fatal results. undark dot org slash 2020 slash 05 slash 14 slash covid-19-evolution-mutation slash
Old 07-20-20, 12:40 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah,it should be a minor problem, but the sheer stupidity of people not following guidelines and not having a clear honest leader to tell us just what those are has made it go insane and threaten everything. By making mask wearing a political thing we have really screwed the pooch.
Likes For Marci:
Old 07-20-20, 03:06 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
It is insidious, and: no one really knows that much about it.
Old 07-20-20, 03:11 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I don't think there's any evidence that it doesn't last as lon in warm climates. LIke Florida.
Old 07-20-20, 03:41 PM
relrrt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go back to school and study science. Problem solved.
Old 07-20-20, 03:51 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Originally Posted by dkatz1 View Post
I don't think there's any evidence that it doesn't last as lon in warm climates. LIke Florida.
I saw early studies on how long the virus holds up in various temperatures and it seemed to a lot like fruit. Lasted longest in the fridge, going to the shortest time in hot dry places. But our behavior is a far bigger factor. If we give it places to roost and nest withing 10 minutes of exhale, it will thrive in the Sahara. Make it wait two days and even the Arctic doesn't look that unsafe.

I had a somewhat related thought the other day - the immigration success story, The new immigrants, while shunned by some, were welcomed by others, even invited into the bar and told to pull up a chair and have the drink offered them. Invited home to meet parents and grandparents. The immigrants? This virus. They haven't worn out their welcome yet.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-20-20 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-20-20, 03:55 PM
relrrt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stay off the Lysol, it's starting to affect your reasoning.
Old 07-20-20, 04:08 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1 View Post
Or Texas or Arizona or California etc.
Likes For Wileyone:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.