Covid-19

Old 07-26-20, 02:52 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
i would like to know how COVID-19 can thrive without regard to any climate factors such as heat or cold or humid or arid. COVID-19 produces a broad range of symptoms. COVID-19 affects all races. COVID-19 affects all ages. COVID-19 appears to reinfect those that have had it and recovered. i can find no similarity between COVID-19 and any other life form. While COVID-19 doesn't always disable its mere presence is sufficient to cause mass disruptions of ALL aspects of modernity. COVID-19 isolates people and makes them subject to remote authorities. these general factors taken along with many many more specific aspects of COVID-19 make it seem so unnatural. add in that recent "media" & open source intelligence has avoided the MANMADE hypothesis and you have a uniquely unnatural phenomenon that will disrupt into the foreseeable future.
Just to address the very mystery of this whole thing....

I kind of equate it to when marine biologists found organisms living near very hot vents deep in the ocean. No one would have ever thought that possible..that is...until they discovered it. The world and universe are full of mysteries and phenomena that we have yet to experience or understand. "We are not (yet) worthy."

The best we can do is accept that this is where we are physically, mentally and emotionally and that there will be things we may never understand. The best we can do is use our knowledge as a foundation to build new knowledge so we are ready for encounters of yet-unknown concepts.

That's the philosophical approach. The brass tacks are: it is what it is and we have to deal with it until we figure out how we don't have to deal with it. So, don't spend too much time on pondering the mysteries that may, or may not, be. Focus on how you will contend with the mysteries at hand so you can live your day in the best way possible.
Old 08-05-20, 06:11 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
What if it is the result of bat-induced hybridization? What if it is the result of a natural progress of single point mutations from SARS-CoV-1, with which it shares 80% sequence homology? Are all these scientists a conspiracy of liars covering the tracks of who knows what?NO they seem to be on the right track Your post-modern, post-logic, post-fact, randomly punctuated garbage is quite insulting > ignorance is oft unintendedly insulting
>>> well the LAB RAT is right & crack pot is wrong >>> i got a full education on my COVID deconstruct when a micro biologist and an immunologist both took the time to explain to a pretender(ME) the SARS sequencing and other lab studies that have been going on for the past 10-15 years. i can now see the errors of my "origins" hypothesis . they also pointed out a few of the other idiot theories that circulate around COVID. they both shared your incredulousness BUT since i always supply the refreshments they overlook my shortcomings. Their COVID advice is stay 10+ ft apart & whenever possible stay out of confined spaces. They both think some form of vaccine will be available in limited quantity sometime in late 2021
​​​​​​​
Old 08-05-20, 07:42 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 current favorite, newest bike.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 191 Posts
>>> well the LAB RAT is right & crack pot is wrong >>> i got a full education on my COVID deconstruct when a micro biologist and an immunologist both took the time to explain to a pretender(ME) the SARS sequencing and other lab studies that have been going on for the past 10-15 years. i can now see the errors of my "origins" hypothesis . they also pointed out a few of the other idiot theories that circulate around COVID. they both shared your incredulousness BUT since i always supply the refreshments they overlook my shortcomings. Their COVID advice is stay 10+ ft apart & whenever possible stay out of confined spaces. They both think some form of vaccine will be available in limited quantity sometime in late 2021
At least you're willing to learn and admit that a.) you're a crackpot, and b.) you have no idea what you're talking about regarding Covid-19. (Just yankin' yer chain a little.) That's a solid start, and so, chapeau! Keep pedaling!
Old 08-05-20, 07:49 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked 1,681 Times in 1,064 Posts
All I know that if you eat a watermelon seed a watermelon will grow out of your belly button.
Old 08-05-20, 07:56 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 1,136 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
All I know that if you eat a watermelon seed a watermelon will grow out of your belly button.
I don't have a green thumb. I've eaten lots of those seeds and they never sprouted. I don't think I gave my thumb a chance. Spent too much of its childhood black and blue.
Old 08-05-20, 08:42 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 current favorite, newest bike.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I can grow grass and trees pretty well, but the things I grow most easily are old & tired. I tried growing wiser, but it only made me grow more tired...
Old 08-10-20, 10:54 PM
paloaltan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I blame (thank?) COVID for my latest bicycle fever. I bought a mountain bike in early June... then a gravel bike a few days ago...
Old 08-11-20, 11:24 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 1,136 Times in 780 Posts
I just did a simple and sobering reality check. I looked up US WW2 deaths. 416,000. COVID US deaths so far - 164,000. Death per day. ~1,000. Just using those numbers, we will match the US deaths of WW2 mid-May next spring.

Yes, deaths per day is falling, now. School hasn't opened yet in most places. If this disease is like most, now should be its quiet time and we could see a lot worse between now and May.

I would like to be radically wrong but I don't have high hopes.

Ben
Old 08-12-20, 12:12 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13011 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,298 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I just did a simple and sobering reality check. I looked up US WW2 deaths. 416,000. COVID US deaths so far - 164,000. Death per day. ~1,000. Just using those numbers, we will match the US deaths of WW2 mid-May next spring.

Yes, deaths per day is falling, now. School hasn't opened yet in most places. If this disease is like most, now should be its quiet time and we could see a lot worse between now and May.

I would like to be radically wrong but I don't have high hopes.

Ben
I had expected cases to drop in the late spring and through the summer. Instead we've had a pause with the early shutdown, but a second wave as governments reopened.

Around here, we seem to have some local spread of the virus, as well as a continuous influx of the disease from surrounding areas with a higher incident rate. Hopefully the end of "Tourist Season" will help with that.

We also have those continuing protests up north, with no end in sight. There isn't a lot of data on how they are impacting COVID. One impact of tear gas and pepper spray is that many people are selecting very good masks.

My guess is half the nation will keep schools moderately closed this fall, but it will be somewhat hit and miss with half the nation trying to open schools, and having spread of the disease between students, staff, families, and employment of the families.

This fall will be filled with confusion between Colds, COVID, and Flu/Influenza. Hopefully there will be a flu vaccination push to help limit community coughing.

On the bright side, there seems to be somewhat of a decrease in the daily cases in most states with this second wave. Perhaps due to increasing emphasis on masks and social distancing.

It is a good comparison to look at COVID vs various wars including WWI, Vietnam, and ultimately WWII. Of course, this is hitting the elderly worse than the young "soldiers". Or, perhaps wiping out some of the remaining WWII survivors.
Old 08-12-20, 07:15 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

trump's every STATE for itself policy created an every COUNTY for itself policy in TEXAS and most red states ... once schools & colleges try and open the multiplier effect of reopenings is going to hit very hard by NOV 3 > it's going to be a SICK ELECTION

Last edited by jack pot; 08-12-20 at 07:24 AM.
Likes For jack pot:
Old 08-30-20, 09:51 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

there are thousands LAURA relief workers staging in Orange & Jefferson County Tx and in western La. .. there is little or no masking ... this coupled with the widespread east TX & west La infrastructure devastation will be a good marker to gauge spread rates and other COVID issues > the Cal fires are another COVID petri dish ... COVID'S effect on these disasters should be monitored very closely but i see no efforts to do so in Texas.
Old 09-13-20, 12:50 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

MEDICAL EXAMINER

What Scientists Have—and Haven’t—Learned About the Coronavirus So Far

From whether dogs can get it to how it spreads to that ridiculous “study” on runners spewing plumes of virus, we’ve won some and lost some, which is to be expected.

By SHANNON PALUS Sept 10 2020
Old 09-21-20, 07:40 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 175 Posts
Deaths globally, including specifics for the top eight countries on the list. (From the Johns-Hopkins COVID-19 "dashboard".)

SARS-CoV-2

Infections globally, selected nations, ranked by death rate (highest rate first):

Peru -- 769K infections; 31.4K deaths; 31.9M population; 0.098% death rate (nearly 1 in 1000)
Brazil -- 4.5M infections; 137K deaths; 211.7M population; 0.065% death rate
USA -- 6.8M infections; 200K deaths; 329.8M population; .061% death rate (1 in 1650)
Mexico -- 698K infections; 73.5K deaths; 128.6M population; 0.057% death rate
Colombia -- 765K infections; 24.2K deaths; 49.1M population; 0.049% death rate
South Africa -- 661K infections; 16K deaths; 56.5M population; 0.028% death rate
Russia -- 1.1M infections; 19.4K deaths; 141.7M population; 0.014% death rate
India -- 5.5M infections; 88K deaths; 1.33B population; 0.0066% death rate (1 in 15,000)
Global -- 31.1M infections; 961.3K deaths; 7.8B population; .012% death rate; roughly 1 in 8000 have died.
Old 09-21-20, 03:44 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Deaths globally, including specifics for the top eight countries on the list. (From the Johns-Hopkins COVID-19 "dashboard".)

SARS-CoV-2

Infections globally, selected nations, ranked by death rate (highest rate first):

USA -- 6.8M infections; 200K deaths; 329.8M population; .061% death rate (1 in 1650)
India -- 5.5M infections; 88K deaths; 1.33B population; 0.0066% death rate (1 in 15,000)
To me, those are very surprising numbers. What explains the difference?

Old 09-22-20, 04:57 PM
Clyde1820

Interesting article from the BBC, about the risks of a "warp-speed" vaccine development effort, harking back to the lessons of the 1976 Swine Flu epidemic.

The fiasco of the 1976 ‘swine flu affair’ @ BBC, 9/18/20.

... As the world rushes to roll out a vaccine to billions of people today, what might we learn from the ill-fated events of 1976?

It began at a US Army training base in New Jersey. In February 1976, several soldiers at Fort Dix fell ill with a previously unrecognised swine flu. None had been in contact with pigs, so human transmission was assumed. Testing revealed that the virus had spread to more than 200 recruits.

The pandemics of 1957 and 1968 were still fresh in the memory, and fears soon escalated of another 1918-like influenza pandemic, which had killed tens of millions. Further investigation found that people under 50 years old had no antibodies to this new strain.

Urgent decisions were needed. Public health officials realised it might be possible to get a vaccine to the public by the end of the year if they acted fast. The pharmaceutical industry had just finished manufacturing vaccines for the normal flu seasons. They also had an animal advantage: roosters. Back then, influenza vaccine was produced in fertilised hen’s eggs. That season’s roosters were due for slaughter, so a slow decision would add a delay of several months to vaccine manufacture.

In March, President Ford announced a $137m (£67.5m in 1976) effort to produce a vaccine by the autumn. “Its goal was to immunise every man, woman and child in the US, and thus was the largest and most ambitious immunisation program ever undertaken in the United States,” wrote Imperato in a 2015 paper reflecting on the events.

With hindsight, it’s easy to see that the fears of the time were unfounded. The swine flu strain spotted at Fort Dix was not dangerous, and there would be no pandemic. Later, researchers discovered that benign swine flu strains had been circulating in the US population long before this one was identified at the military base. And scientists who feared another Spanish flu did not know that the 1918 influenza was avian, not swine. Researchers at the time also suffered from a form of recency bias: based on experience from the 1950s and 60s, they assumed major influenza pandemics happened on an 11-year cycle, when they are actually more irregular.

So, as has happened throughout the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020, the scientists could only give the best advice they could based on incomplete knowledge. Many public health officials were sceptical and uncertain too, including Imperato in New York. “I think all of us were in agreement that yes, it's probably unlikely but we can't be absolutely sure,” he recalls.

Old 10-14-20, 10:11 AM
Clyde1820

Interesting case of group transmission, in an indoor fitness class where most precautions were being taken.

One client in one spin studio that followed all the rules triggers a coronavirus outbreak with at least 61 cases @ CNN, 10/13/20.

(CNN) A spin studio that public health officials say followed all Covid-19 protocols is now reporting 61 positive cases of Covid-19, and as many as 100 staff, clients and family members may have been exposed.

SPINCO, in Hamilton, Ontario, just reopened in July and had all of the right protocols in place, including screening of staff and attendees, tracking all those in attendance at each class, masking before and after classes, laundering towels and cleaning the rooms within 30 minutes of a complete class, said Dr. Elizabeth Richardson, Hamilton's medical officer of health, in a statement.

But it still wasn't enough.

Public health officials are very concerned about the number of cases and the size of the outbreak, especially because the city is not currently a hotspot and the facility was not ignoring health protocols, they said in a statement to CNN.

"They have also supported public health services in our investigation by sharing the messaging with all their members," said Richardson.
There are currently 44 confirmed positive primary cases associated with SPINCO and 17 confirmed secondary cases. Exposure was linked to several classes held from September 28 to October 4.

No indication of how many of those participants were multiple-day participants in the classes. No indication of what "screening" procedures consisted of, though likely it was only temperature checks and simple Q&A. Apparently in the class, as with many fitness facilities, masking-up during actual workouts (particularly cardio workouts) wasn't required, despite a mask requirement outside of classes (ie, during arrival, prior to being "screened," and once leaving a class).
Old 10-14-20, 10:15 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Interesting case of group transmission, in an indoor fitness class where most precautions were being taken.

One client in one spin studio that followed all the rules triggers a coronavirus outbreak with at least 61 cases @ CNN, 10/13/20.

No indication of how many of those participants were multiple-day participants in the classes. No indication of what "screening" procedures consisted of, though likely it was only temperature checks and simple Q&A. Apparently in the class, as with many fitness facilities, masking-up during actual workouts (particularly cardio workouts) wasn't required, despite a mask requirement outside of classes (ie, during arrival, prior to being "screened," and once leaving a class).
Is anybody really surprised by this? The main means of transmission is breathing someone else's breath. You have a bunch of people in a room on bicycles, breathing very hard for half an hour or so. Its tailor made to be a super spreader event. Surprised there arent more like that.
Old 10-15-20, 03:20 AM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Is anybody really surprised by this? The main means of transmission is breathing someone else's breath. You have a bunch of people in a room on bicycles, breathing very hard for half an hour or so. Its tailor made to be a super spreader event. Surprised there arent more like that.
Shouldn't be any surprise, you're right.

It's simple air exchange. And since the aerosols carry all manner of pathogens, smells and everything else, it'd be a stretch to imagine it could have anything other than this impact.

I find it interesting how government staffers who prefer to shut down everything and fear the normal and customary transmissibility of things are not blocking group stuff such as this. (Fitness centers, bars and clubs, restaurants, and similar gathering spots.)

Thankfully, $7T+ seems to be concerning enough to such people that they're hesitant to let 'er rip yet again, on such forcible policies. (And that's just the top-line $figure in the U.S., let alone all the "private" impacts, and costs in all other nations of the world.)

Would much prefer it be left up to everyone. A given business gets to choose whether it'll put in iron-clad procedures and distancing and limited occupancy. A given person decides whether he/she is comfortable heading into a high-transmission situation, knowing whatever's picked up is going to be brought back to grandma at the house. Nobody forcibly shut down and left economically twisting in the wind. No businesses forced to choose between begging hat-in-hand for crumbs or erasing its business and letting go all staff.
Old 10-15-20, 08:37 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

^^^ given this COVID would still spread and more & more people will get sick & sicker & die so maybe this is the way the Old world ends , not with a bang but with a bad case of the sniffles
Old 10-15-20, 05:53 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 453 Posts
] im just saying that a stupid mistake in some far off lab is not out of the question
Actually you’re just wrong….by comparing the genome sequence data for coronavirus strains, it’s been firmly determined that Covid-19 originated through natural processes and this has been known since late January. If only you knew about the Covid-19 mutations in the RBD portion of its spike proteins and its distinct backbone you’d easily rule out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin! Personally i prefer information on viruses from a range of scientific perspectives rooted in epidemiology, virology, genetics, ecology and evolutionary biology than myths spread on the internet…..
Old 10-15-20, 06:00 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Actually you’re just wrong….by comparing the genome sequence data for coronavirus strains, it’s been firmly determined that Covid-19 originated through natural processes and this has been known since late January. If only you knew about the Covid-19 mutations in the RBD portion of its spike proteins and its distinct backbone you’d easily rule out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin! Personally i prefer information on viruses from a range of scientific perspectives rooted in epidemiology, virology, genetics, ecology and evolutionary biology than myths spread on the internet…..
... You are correct see post #77 on this thread where I acknowledge my lack of knowledge
Old 10-18-20, 08:58 AM
bartra228

Bikes: s&m

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was very afraid that the disease would develop and that the disease would go to the lungs and there would be relief, the statistics with which I got acquainted here was very pressing, and it confirmed the seriousness of the fact that deaths in the USA from covid-19 are growing with increasing. Therefore, I am very worried about myself and your environment

Last edited by bartra228; 11-06-20 at 10:32 AM.