Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

I wonder how many K-12 teachers will become infected

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

I wonder how many K-12 teachers will become infected

Old 08-15-20, 01:31 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 292 Posts
"Now don't you fly too close to the sun Icarus!"
"But mah rites, and tha constatooshun ana fake news"
Old 08-15-20, 01:57 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked 1,681 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
"Now don't you fly too close to the sun Icarus!"
"But mah rites, and tha constatooshun ana fake news"
I will ask my beloved sister what happens since she has to return to teach school.

Old 08-15-20, 08:07 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by peugeot mongrel View Post
THREATS that most likely were inspired by the parents of her fellow students >>> the COVID "war" seems have spawned an anti war movement ... school reopenings will bring parental biases to the classrooms as students mimic their parent's politics ... this will make educator's already monumental task absolutely undoable and undermine whatever credibility is left in public education. trump's perceived hate is pervasive and once it permeates the K-12 strata societal fractures may be irreparable.
Old 08-15-20, 08:42 AM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I will ask my beloved sister what happens since she has to return to teach school.
It would be good to know how it really plays out. Its a hard problem with a lot going against any good solution.
pulling for her safe return
Likes For peugeot mongrel:
Old 08-15-20, 09:50 AM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
THREATS that most likely were inspired by the parents of her fellow students >>> the COVID "war" seems have spawned an anti war movement ... school reopenings will bring parental biases to the classrooms as students mimic their parent's politics ... this will make educator's already monumental task absolutely undoable and undermine whatever credibility is left in public education. trump's perceived hate is pervasive and once it permeates the K-12 strata societal fractures may be irreparable.
It's a little too easy for me to get pessimistic about "obvious" outcomes of social behavior.
That pessimism only exacerbates the problem.
As a retired advertiser I know how a good ad campaign works and how effective it can be. What we see is a very well positioned and effective network in place. Fox is the strongest piece that thousands of players can leverage.
Since this collabritive has chosen lies, deceit and conspiracy theory to create it's own alternate truth it is more dangerous than many will admit. Trump knows this and chooses to play it to the extreme with no conscience.
That formula is extremely compelling to many. Sort of like fast food engineered to leave you hungry and wanting more.
Human conscience is driven by peer pressure and developed over time.

If Bloomberg were really concerned about the direction we are headed he would buy Fox at any cost and change it's agenda. Try to keep it profitable to not loose as much. He is pumping a lot of money into the Cover effort now and seems mostly absent from the political scene right now. A solution only possible by big big money uggh... "money talks BS walks"

The trend can be reversed socially with peer pressure but right now lies, deceit and conspiracy theory are winning. Perhaps November will remove a few inputs and add a few. Still a very slow process. A social realization that truth and ethics is the prize is a lot to hope for. Lets hope.
Likes For peugeot mongrel:
Old 08-15-20, 01:02 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
A social realization that truth and ethics is the prize is a lot to hope for. Lets hope.
It is indeed a lot to hope for. Failure, I fear, will lead the U.S. to be nothing more than Belaruse II.
Old 08-15-20, 02:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13012 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 1,298 Posts
Seems like a lot of school boards make a plan that seems reasonable but when the criteria can’t be met they just go ahead anyway because that’s what everybody wants.
In those areas the requirement of wearing masks is waived if parents say their child doesn’t have to because discipline at that point is near impossible. Those that really want to be safe are put in a very vulnerable position.
you can’t really protect people from themselves.
Our governor made the criteria for reopening the schools.

Whew!!! Our county just met the state criteria for less than 10 cases per 100,000 per week for the last 2 days. Only 3 more weeks of keeping the numbers down to go!!

I'm left wondering a bit though. If one ignores the county level, and looks at the zip code level and school districts, the data appears to be more complex. It is a big county, and while a lot of satellite communities have a lot of interaction with the big city, some are moderately isolated.

We'll see what happens as we come into Fall.

I can imagine reasons to modify the criteria, if say Oakridge School District has zero cases, while Eugene/Springfield has a few.

But, at least for now, this gives a good target, and the ability to observe what is happening elsewhere.
Old 08-15-20, 05:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,098 Posts
A friend who teaches middle school just started the new semester in a rural county. The school district has made zero concessions to the pandemic. They're going about business as usual, no precautions whatsoever.

Because of the schedule constraints she has no time to properly transition from teaching to eating mode. She estimates if she did what she believes necessary to protect herself while getting ready to eat, she'd have 5 minutes alone in her car to eat. The school has provided nothing for teachers, no safe place to change clothes and clean up between classes and meal breaks. So she wears a mask all day and never eats or drinks anything. I hope she makes it through because I don't see any way to remain healthy without drinking water for 8 hours of continuous working on her feet.

And because most government related entities are exempt from federal OSHA (my former agency), there are no real protections other than the power of persuasion from teachers' unions. But in Texas and much of the South teachers' unions have been demonized for decades, so they have little influence.
Old 08-15-20, 11:22 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 1,139 Times in 781 Posts
canklecat.it was pointed out in another thread that Florida governor DeSantis (sp) made an analogy of the kids going to school as being like the SEALS going after Osama bin Laden. I said to effect, "yeah, sending the kids to kill teachers (union, hence the enemy) grand parents (unproductive members of society) and loved ones (friendly fire happens).

I wish this was a joke.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-16-20, 01:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,098 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
canklecat.it was pointed out in another thread that Florida governor DeSantis (sp) made an analogy of the kids going to school as being like the SEALS going after Osama bin Laden. I said to effect, "yeah, sending the kids to kill teachers (union, hence the enemy) grand parents (unproductive members of society) and loved ones (friendly fire happens).

I wish this was a joke.

Ben
In Texas and other Southern states that's part of the old traditional fantasy of the Ol' Deep South as reincarnation of ancient Sparta. It's no coincidence that many major cities and school teams adopted names from Sparta, with a nod toward ancient Greece. The Southern elitists wanted that kind of society, where only the fittest survived, everything was based on warfare, and inferior people were born to serve or die.

Several years ago an acquaintance and I were collaborating on some political consultation strategies and he was very astute at dissecting the quirks of an opponent, based on their common "hillbilly" heritage. Really helped in undermining that opponent and dislodging him from a position he'd held through years of dirty tricks, including using sockpuppets for trolling years before most folks realized it was a thing. Once his online shenanigans were exposed (I tricked him into getting sloppy and revealing himself by using my own sockpuppet to pretend to be an ally), he lost most of his supporters and withdrew.

But that was a different era, only a decade ago, when public figures who were miscreants could actually be shamed into resigning or withdrawing from positions. That tactic no longer works. It's impossible to shame someone who relishes the negative attention and thrives on it, with full support of voters.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-16-20, 07:06 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts

High school student knowingly went to school with COVID-19 because they were asymptomatic and believed they did not have to quarantine 14 days

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mptomatic.html
Old 08-20-20, 11:18 PM
CycleryNorth81

A suburban Catholic school teacher was fired after refusing to return to class due to COVID-19. Others teachers are demanding Catholic schools go remote.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...ed~curatedpage
Old 08-21-20, 11:09 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
The teachers just got the kiss of death from the Trump administration. Essential = expendable.

Teachers Essential Workers
Old 08-30-20, 11:46 PM
CycleryNorth81

Hundreds of protesters gather against new flu vaccine mandate in Massachusetts

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/hundreds-p...003556645.html
Old 09-12-20, 04:34 PM
CycleryNorth81

Children transmit the coronavirus, Utah study suggests, but don't get sick themselves

https://news.yahoo.com/children-tran...192719466.html
Old 09-12-20, 04:43 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 1,139 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

Children transmit the coronavirus, Utah study suggests, but don't get sick themselves

https://news.yahoo.com/children-tran...192719466.html
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
The unions know. Cooties kill but the kids are immune.
Old 09-12-20, 05:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4898 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 942 Posts
Oh look, a study to show us what every parent has known since their kids' first day of school. No prior illness can ever quite prepare you for what a kindergartner brings home.

So now we "distance learn," and the only people less prepared than the kids are the teachers. Some of them are in so far over their heads they can't see daylight. I'm talking 30-year-olds that can't work the technology. It's insane.

Even here in California, all of the private schools are opening back up in an effort to fend off bankruptcy. In the current scenario, everybody loses.
Old 09-12-20, 06:49 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 210 Posts
Every GA system that has even partially opened has been a corona FUBAR.
Old 09-12-20, 07:02 PM
CycleryNorth81

School Report Card: This week, Labor Day parties stop in-person classes, young teachers die of COVID-19

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scho...195843333.html