Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

I wonder how many K-12 teachers will become infected

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 07-16-20, 09:22 AM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

I wonder how many K-12 teachers will become infected before they start to quit in significant numbers?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/educatio...-meeting-utah/
Old 07-16-20, 09:46 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 786 Posts
My sister was due back around Aug 17 but her district is delayed. No school for the first two weeks so the first two football games are cancelled. Football is religion here. From there they don’t know it might become online school only this fall. As of today no one knows what they are going to do. . I don’t see them possible having school with the conditions we have now. I’m sure many teachers who can move on to something else will.
Old 07-16-20, 09:49 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

And what until a no mask person gets sick orvsomeone close to them do. Several cases like that here with the latest a 30 year old going to a covid party to prove it was a hoax. Got infected and died at age 30. Final words saying he made a mistake thinking it was a hoax. This was in San Antonio, Texas.
Old 07-16-20, 10:12 AM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
My wife is retired San Antonio inner city high school science teacher. My opinion is no safe classroom opening can be done.
This is now a question that is unable to ignore and will become very contentious.
Factor in that all of the plans made by so many different deciding parties will not, in reality, be able to be carried out with the existing systems and locations.
Likes For peugeot mongrel:
Old 07-16-20, 10:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 4618 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 678 Posts
I think the best thing said about Betsy DeVos was Rep. Pressley's tweet that she wouldn't trust DeVos to take care of her houseplant let alone a child.

What DeVos and Trump are doing is criminal. They have no plan to keep children or teachers safe. Trump doesn't care who gets sick; all he cares about is getting re-elected.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-16-20, 10:41 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 4314 Post(s)
Liked 905 Times in 513 Posts
I can't say what I want to since this is not P&R
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 07-16-20, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,614 Posts
I expect there will be teachers strikes in a lot of places as well as parent's boycotting.
Old 07-17-20, 08:45 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Floridaman is seeking a lead early on this one. School isn't in session and my county has 13 elementary students and 4 staff members in quarantine after an elementary school student in a summer program tested positive and 33 high school football team members and 5 coaches in quarantine after 2 of the players tested positive. So opening schools should be no problem.
Old 07-17-20, 10:18 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
Floridaman is seeking a lead early on this one. School isn't in session and my county has 13 elementary students and 4 staff members in quarantine after an elementary school student in a summer program tested positive and 33 high school football team members and 5 coaches in quarantine after 2 of the players tested positive. So opening schools should be no problem.
Similar here. Strength and conditioning programs started up then quickly shut down because players and coaches were getting sick. And school starts in a few weeks? Going to be chaotic.
Old 07-17-20, 11:53 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I expect there will be teachers strikes in a lot of places as well as parent's boycotting.
One teacher said "I didn't sign up to be a martyr."
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-17-20, 05:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 11717 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 798 Posts
Of course it isn't just the teachers, but the parents, and grandparents, and all the neighbors, and just about everyone else being put at risk in the neighborhoods.

Kids can be very effective at spreading germs and disease.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-17-20, 05:30 PM
CliffordK

On the flip side, they can't just stay home forever, and effective social discipline might be good for a 40 year old, but may be difficult for a 6 year old to understand. Or, perhaps a teenager who already has heard that they will likely get the flu, and be fine.

I think around here the plan is for 2 days a week in school with half of the kids, and 3 days a week of home schooling. It will be an interesting time.

Our county had about 1 "reported" new case a day for the first few months, and now is up to 5 to 15 new cases a day. Still, numbers are quite low for shutting everything down, but could explode quickly.

A lot of the younger generation in the recent cases, due to their doing stupid stuff.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-17-20, 06:07 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I think the best thing said about Betsy DeVos was Rep. Pressley's tweet that she wouldn't trust DeVos to take care of her houseplant let alone a child.

What DeVos and Trump are doing is criminal. They have no plan to keep children or teachers safe. Trump doesn't care who gets sick; all he cares about is getting re-elected.
Are you a lawyer?

How many thousands were killed by the Governor of New York?

Are you an industrial hygiene or safety engineer?

More kids dying by gunshot in schools than with Chinese Flu.
Old 07-17-20, 06:11 PM
Pouhana

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Of course it isn't just the teachers, but the parents, and grandparents, and all the neighbors, and just about everyone else being put at risk in the neighborhoods.

Kids can be very effective at spreading germs and disease.
Who will transfer the pathogen from asymptomatic children to the nearest nursing home?

If you had thoracic surgery or expertise in diseases of the lungs, you would agree if there are no symptoms, there is no coughing and discharge of droplets carrying the virus.
Old 07-17-20, 06:12 PM
fooferdoggie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Pouhana View Post

what is the Chinese flue? covid is not the flue.
Old 07-17-20, 06:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

All I know is that I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-17-20, 06:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4810 Post(s)
Liked 1,541 Times in 871 Posts
The answer for California is: zero. The California higher-ups already decreed that the schools shall not be opening for the fall. It's "distance learning" again. It worked horribly for the last two months of the 2019 school year. Let's see how it works this time around.

My hopes are not high. But hey, I don't have to drive the kids to school! So a small win for me. I have to update both of their computers, so that's kind of a downer. Comes out in the wash.
Old 07-17-20, 06:34 PM
Pouhana

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
what is the Chinese flue? covid is not the flue.
Interesting you say that. I will not share hospital slang with you.

Are you a medical professional outsider?
Old 07-17-20, 06:43 PM
DeadGrandpa
Philosopher of Bicycling

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 81 Posts
I haven't been keeping up with the latest propaganda, but it's my understanding that children of school age (<18) are the least likely to die or have severe symptoms, so their risk is least. Not insignificant, but the least risk. The teachers have significantly more risk. I have no children, so this isn't personal.

Do we now have the goal of zero new cases, zero new deaths, or the more realistic expectation that everyone is going to contract the virus, and we're just trying to keep the hospital facilities from being overwhelmed? Not everyone is ready to hear that the virus will get them, eventually.

In my view, the only way to stop the virus spread entirely is to shut down society and the economy for a year, and I don't see that happening.
Old 07-17-20, 06:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 4618 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 678 Posts
Are you a lawyer?

How many thousands were killed by the Governor of New York?

Are you an industrial hygiene or safety engineer?

You're calling this the Chinese Flu? Seriously? That's sad.

Are you paying attention to how poorly we are doing compared to other wealthy democracies? Here is a graph showing the difference between the US and the EU (roughly similar population).

https://www.gzeromedia.com/the-graph...-spike-28-june

So the response of our government is grossly incompetent. But that's what happens when you have a president like Donald Trump who has ignored the advice of public health experts and has treated the pandemic as a messaging problem rather than as a public health problem.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-17-20 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 06:50 PM
CliffordK

Who will transfer the pathogen from asymptomatic children to the nearest nursing home?

If you had thoracic surgery or expertise in diseases of the lungs, you would agree if there are no symptoms, there is no coughing and discharge of droplets carrying the virus.
There seem to be reports of people who are fully asymptomatic spreading the disease. It is hard to discern for sure, or how the disease is spread. Did they take their temperatures regularly?

Singing and probably yelling seems to be forceful enough to spread the virus. Ever hear kids shout or yell? Laugh?

If one can get the virus by touching one's mouth or face, one can probably spread it in the same manner. Chewing a pen or pencil?

As winter comes along, kids will get the "common cold", "allergies", and perhaps even the flu (influenza). Irritant sneezing? How many parents will ignore a mild case of COVID as probably something else?

Will kids be sent to school when they probably should have been kept home?

Yep, I was one of those in the past that would rather go to work or school when I knew I was sick, but felt more of a responsibility to go to work than to stay home.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-17-20, 07:09 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
I haven't been keeping up with the latest propaganda, but it's my understanding that children of school age (<18) are the least likely to die or have severe symptoms, so their risk is least. Not insignificant, but the least risk. The teachers have significantly more risk. I have no children, so this isn't personal.
Yes, kids seem to have low risk of acute complications. We may not know for a few years if there is some more persistent complication like scarring int the lungs, or cardiac anomalies.

Yet, kids contact parents and grandparents. And, someone cares for them when they're ill. And, those parents and grandparents have contact with neighbors and coworkers. A few infections can be a whole community quickly.
Do we now have the goal of zero new cases, zero new deaths, or the more realistic expectation that everyone is going to contract the virus, and we're just trying to keep the hospital facilities from being overwhelmed? Not everyone is ready to hear that the virus will get them, eventually.
We don't know if there will be an effective vaccine or not. I believe I managed to evade the 2009 Swine Flu, and stupidly never got vaccinated, and think it finally caught up with me around 2016 or so.

Assuming a resurgence of COVID this fall and winter, a good number of people will be able to evade it this year.

Then the question is whether we will have an effective vaccine before it comes back around next year or every few years.

So far, none of our local nursing homes has had a significant outbreak, or any deaths. People can be effectively isolated. Forever?
In my view, the only way to stop the virus spread entirely is to shut down society and the economy for a year, and I don't see that happening.
I believe North Korea was able to fight down the numbers without a significant shutdown.

However, I've also wondered what the effects of say doing a periodic 2-week COVID Holiday would be. Shut down everything including grocery stores for 2 weeks. The only thing open would be Emergency Medicine. Then, as one reopens, be very careful to isolate any individual or family that demonstrates illness.

Vietnam apparently would shut down entire communities for a single case, then hit it hard, and reopen once the cases were resolved.

Unfortunately we are so far behind the curve that it will be hard to catch up. I do think we could knock out the illness locally with contact tracing (county of 300K+ residents), but it is difficult to prevent re-importing the diseases from neighboring areas.
Old 07-17-20, 07:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

The Houston Oiler have a healthy Warren Moon and will win the 2021 Super Bowl. The Oilers are free of any ailments but they tend to choke when they have a lead in the fourth quarter. Get behind the Oilers and the future 2021 Super Bowl Champions.

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-17-20, 07:52 PM
DeadGrandpa
Philosopher of Bicycling

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Yes, kids seem to have low risk of acute complications. We may not know for a few years if there is some more persistent complication like scarring int the lungs, or cardiac anomalies.

Yet, kids contact parents and grandparents. And, someone cares for them when they're ill. And, those parents and grandparents have contact with neighbors and coworkers. A few infections can be a whole community quickly.
We don't know if there will be an effective vaccine or not. I believe I managed to evade the 2009 Swine Flu, and stupidly never got vaccinated, and think it finally caught up with me around 2016 or so.

Assuming a resurgence of COVID this fall and winter, a good number of people will be able to evade it this year.

Then the question is whether we will have an effective vaccine before it comes back around next year or every few years.

So far, none of our local nursing homes has had a significant outbreak, or any deaths. People can be effectively isolated. Forever?

I believe North Korea was able to fight down the numbers without a significant shutdown.

However, I've also wondered what the effects of say doing a periodic 2-week COVID Holiday would be. Shut down everything including grocery stores for 2 weeks. The only thing open would be Emergency Medicine. Then, as one reopens, be very careful to isolate any individual or family that demonstrates illness.

Vietnam apparently would shut down entire communities for a single case, then hit it hard, and reopen once the cases were resolved.

Unfortunately we are so far behind the curve that it will be hard to catch up. I do think we could knock out the illness locally with contact tracing (county of 300K+ residents), but it is difficult to prevent re-importing the diseases from neighboring areas.
Thank you for the most reasoned reply I believe I've ever read here on BF. I don't know if "herd immunity" applies in this situation, but I've heard that the (Covid) mortality rate in the K-12 age group is many times less than the mortality rate for the regular flu. We don't close schools because of the flu. Maybe we should.
​​​​​​
Old 07-17-20, 07:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 12336 Post(s)
Liked 3,683 Times in 2,060 Posts
Do we now have the goal of zero new cases, zero new deaths, or the more realistic expectation that everyone is going to contract the virus, and we're just trying to keep the hospital facilities from being overwhelmed?
​​​​​​Are those our only two choices? We can't drive down infection rates while we await a vaccine? A lot of other countries did, so it's possible ... why aren't we up to the task?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.