Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 803 Posts
Texas closing this beach?

63 miles of undeveloped wild beach with awesome fishing. After 4 miles you need a 4x4. Crowded the first few miles and even then social distancing would be easy. No beach development at all. Surrounded by very large ranches like the King Ranch. Corpus Christi is having a very bad covid outbreak so I understand. I just need a surf fishing fix and when you are 40 miles down undeveloped beach with some of the best surf fishing on the planet where social distancing is what people sought before this pandemic. I need a surf fishing fix. Padre Island National Seashore the barrier island in green print. If there wasn’t a channel at Port Mansfield you could 4x4 all the way to South Padre Island and that would be an epic fishing adventure.

South of Corpus Christi. Awesome fishing awaits.

Yes I’m going insane lol. Fishing tackle talks to me saying we need to see some surf fishing.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 07-19-20 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-19-20, 10:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 11753 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 820 Posts
Can you access the beach through private property?
Old 07-19-20, 11:19 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

No, Texas land laws are different than most states. It’s a National Park so if you sneak in the Park Rangers will get you. And Border Patrol patrols the island since it is obviously very close to Mexico. Laguna Madre is a natural barrier and great fishing if you have a boat or kayak. Difficult to sneak into other than the main entrance that will be blocked by law enforcement. Unforgivable terrain by foot and rattlesnakes love the dunes. Coast Guard routinely flies over the island with helicopters looking for drug smuggling and human trafficking. It is a wild beach but safe because it is monitored for illegal activities.
Old 07-19-20, 12:59 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 4326 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 527 Posts
My relatives are from Port A. I prefer beaches where motoring is prohibited.
Old 07-19-20, 01:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11714 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 1,893 Posts
Catch me a pompano?
Old 07-19-20, 01:48 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
My relatives are from Port A. I prefer beaches where motoring is prohibited.
BOOOOO! Gotta have a truck with surf rods, many ice chests, a canopy for shade, a grill, chairs, a football to throw around, shovels and buckets for kids to build sand castles, sometimes a volleyball net, tailgate for fish cleaning , cheetahs I mean Cheetos for the seagulls, etc etc .... Port A in my youth during spring break ... and bikinis walking by strutting their stuff.
Old 07-19-20, 01:58 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Catch me a pompano?
In winter I will catch you as many pompano you want to eat. The water cools enough for the pomps to come within casting range. I use a long distance casting surf rod with shrimp with a synthetic bait call Fishbites. Deadly combination... and for their size they call pull. Great on the grill a naturally fatty fillet. Use real butter as a baste with seasoning you like, grill it just like you do in the pictures you post. Good eating.
Old 07-23-20, 02:02 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8877 Post(s)
Liked 1,227 Times in 844 Posts
While not Texas, my son wondered the same thing about certain beach areas in So Cal... he is a fisherman... those guys tend to "socially distance" by default... So didn't make sense to him at all.
Old 07-23-20, 02:20 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 4326 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 527 Posts
Unfortunately it makes sense as while the beach is large, most will stay near the access points

Back-country Grand Canyon is closed too which makes sense for the inner popular corridor, but I can't even get a permit to a gigantic sector that only allows one small party at a time - with access so remote that it is usually easy to get a permit. When I go there after leaving the paved road I don't see anyone else for days.
Old 07-23-20, 03:32 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8877 Post(s)
Liked 1,227 Times in 844 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Unfortunately it makes sense as while the beach is large, most will stay near the access points

Back-country Grand Canyon is closed too which makes sense for the inner popular corridor, but I can't even get a permit to a gigantic sector that only allows one small party at a time - with access so remote that it is usually easy to get a permit. When I go there after leaving the paved road I don't see anyone else for days.
Yeah, I get it... from the aspect of where folks will congregate, and the fact that most folks are not seeking to fish, but want to party naked on the same beach.

But for Hondo and other fishermen (or back country hikers)... it really doesn't make sense. But then fishing doesn't make sense, when you consider Mrs Pauls is available in the freezer section.
Likes For genec: