Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Why should health care workers continue to work in high risk environments?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Why should health care workers continue to work in high risk environments?

Old 07-22-20, 12:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,220 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ups View Post
Ahhhhhh, the TDS mob strikes!
Yeah, what's this world coming to?

Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-22-20, 05:18 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
... all these guys who, six months ago were Constitutional scholars, have now retrained as professional epidemiologists, just by watching Fox News and OAN. Which is pretty impressive.
Can someone tell me why these same people are so down on ...
it's ameriKan HIP to be dumbed down on stuff >>> like some fireman, who does't know a tangelo from a tomato watching MSNBC & CNN and thinking he's a social theorist or some lab rat, who thinks he's MR WIZARD on saturday morning TV, posting links to the rash of non peer reviewed papers hypothesizing every vaccine at the end of the COVID rainbow or some white crack pot who lives in a house full of book furniture trying to convince black people that they are still slaves >>> these are examples of the latent insanity in this depersonalized world. a world that allows for anyone to be anyone and any question can have any answer.In this thread the OP asked why health care care workers would work in a high risk environment and you got pics, songs, trump dumps, VA affairs,GIFs etc etc AND at least but not last you got this explanation of derailleur failures now to the OP ...
Old 07-22-20, 06:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 296 Posts
There was an article in the NY Times, I think last Sunday, by a woman who was for many years a nurse. Now she teaches nursing in the school system. She thinks opening schools is way too soon and she is not willing to risk her life to teach someone's kids. If you are a health care worker and someone shows up in your emergency room, you do the job as best you can as there is no other real option. Teaching is a different situation in that there is a choice about opening. I suspect there will be other people leaving the teaching profession if they have the option.
Old 07-22-20, 07:54 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 21785 Post(s)
Liked 4,647 Times in 3,413 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
...AND at least but not last you got this explanation of derailleur failures now to the OP ...
...I spent the better part of 45 minutes puzzling out the re-installation and adjustment of this Simplex front rod derailleur yesterday. It sorely taxed my remaining firemaenz mental agility.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-22-20, 08:49 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 306 Posts
...I spent the better part of 45 minutes puzzling out the re-installation and adjustment of this Simplex front rod derailleur yesterday. It sorely taxed my remaining firemaenz mental agility.

It goes this way first>>>>> and then you move it <<<< and finally ^^^^ for final adjustment.

And so it goes.
Old 07-22-20, 09:30 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 618 Posts

i aint smart enough to adjust so i just FIX
Old 07-22-20, 09:37 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post
It goes this way first>>>>> and then you move it <<<< and finally ^^^^ for final adjustment.

And so it goes.
...in the background of that photo, notice the lawn grass of a man who cuts and maintains his own.
Old 07-22-20, 09:48 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
What is that? a 53/51?

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-22-20, 09:59 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 126 Posts
In answer to the original question, my daughter the MD, just quit. Shes much happier now and her son is too. Im not sure what her future plans are. Sometimes stepping back for a while is good.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 07-22-20, 12:38 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
What is that? a 53/51?
...as nearly as I can tell, it was probably made and sold in 1958 or 1959. But there were few surviving original components other than the brakes and front derailleur that were useful in dating it. The company stopped making bikes with those head tube lugs in the late 50's or early 60's, then sort of faded away for a while until revived by a granddaughter (?) of the original founder of the company in the 70's. I have no idea hos it ended up in Norther California, but it seemed like an interesting project bike.

It's not really a historically accurate restoration. I didn't want to deal with 1950's wheels, and I'm afraid to ride a french bar that old.

Oh wait, you mean the chainring combo. Smaller than that, like a 51/49 I think, to deal with the smaller geared freewheels and old pull chain derailleur it originally came with.
Old 07-22-20, 01:00 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 1,050 Posts
''' and I'm afraid to ride a french bar that old.

Much safer to stand or sit on a stool, especially after imbibing a few. (Now if that French bar was steel, you could ride it with confidence.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-31-20, 07:03 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 438 Posts
So tonight lightning struck right here at home. My wife is a hospice social worker who had to visit a patient who contracted Covid after doing the PPE dance. Her clothing is quarantine for three days and then dis-infected. Car had to be Alcohol treated, and immediate shower for her after getting home.
The patient contracted it at a church gathering. Today we reached the dubious distinction of one death per minute from this disease, as the only place on the planet that can't control it. I wish my wife had stuck to doing MRDD work but she is now doing death watch for covid-19 and I am just the bystander who might get infected. It is not a fun place to be in, and we will pay a huge price for failures in paying attention to the ways to mitigate the damage. A friend from South Korea sent me two boxes of dental masks knowing that South Korea got the virus under control in a few weeks by lock down and mask usage. I think any medical worker and those who assist them will have a hard time dealing with this pandemic.
Sorry for interrupting the discussion going on about derailleurs within the thread about health professionals and Covid. MH