Old 07-22-20, 10:39 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Found study on Melatonin

interesting read, i wanna see more studies....has anyone else heard this yet?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24320520303313

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/sciencedirect/
Likes For sirjag:
Old 07-24-20, 08:22 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 129 Posts
Yes. This is the kind of treatment that Dr Mercola promotes all the time and usually before anyone else. Dr Mercola is clearly reading the Journals as they publish new work.

It's just common sense really to do what you can to support your natural immune functions and importantly, prevent Immune system overreactions.
Old 07-27-20, 07:50 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag View Post
interesting read, i wanna see more studies....has anyone else heard this yet?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24320520303313

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/sciencedirect/
Interesting. I take melatonin with some frequency for reasons having nothing to do with my immune system or covid19.

ScienceDirect means that it's an Elsevier journal. So it's part of the legitimate peer-reviewed scientific literature. That doesn't mean it's perfect (just look at the recent retractions by The Lancet and NEJM) or that a single study constitutes any kind of proof, but it gives some believability to the possible correlation.
Old 07-28-20, 02:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3702 Post(s)
Liked 1,300 Times in 854 Posts
Yeah, I shared those links on FB a week or so ago, along with some related studies.

But I suspect it has more to do with getting adequate rest than any anti-inflammatory or immune boosting properties. I know I feel better and perform better on bike rides and workouts when I get enough good quality sleep. If melatonin helps with that, it's a good thing.

As we age the body produces less melatonin naturally, so the supplement may help. There's a theory it's linked to serotonin as well. I've noticed melatonin can also reduce the effects of my occasional migraines or cluster headaches (after decades I still get conflicting diagnoses from neurologists about the causes for my severe headaches).

Some folks -- usually women, for some reason -- say melatonin gives them nightmares. I've asked them about this and, to me, it sounds more like they're describing vivid dreams, not necessarily what I'd consider nightmares. But they were disturbed by vivid confusing abstract imagery, even though it wasn't overtly violent or conventionally frightening. They seemed to prefer not dreaming at all, or not remembering dreams. I suspect it's a control issue thing, but I'm not going to debate that stuff on social media. I'm not sure it's possible to get good sleep without dreaming, even if we don't clearly remember our dreams.

I started taking 5 mg time release melatonin again recently and noticed a recurrence of vivid dreams. Not disturbing, just the familiar abstract and puzzling stuff millions of people experience. It's entertaining trying to figure out what those dreams mean but I don't worry about it.

Anyway, for those folks I've suggested valerian root (capsules -- the tea tastes nasty and smells like feet), or GABA, an amino acid that's somewhat chemically related to gabapentin. Both help with relaxation and reducing anxiety with few or no side effects.

Back around March this year an Indonesian doctor suggested that kratom might be effective against COVID-19. A few kratom vendors and blogs picked up on that but dropped the whole issue after a week or so. I suspect the doctor was shilling for the kratom industry, which is mostly based in Indonesia. I use the stuff and it's a terrific natural remedy for moderate chronic pain and anxiety, but I'm very skeptical about claims for miracle cures or disease prevention. I suspect it helps because we're healthier when we aren't in constant pain or anxiety, and can get some exercise and sleep properly. Nothing magical about the substance other than making us more comfortable so we can exercise, function and sleep well.

Same thing some folks claim about cannabis. I'm sure it works for them. But cannabis with too much THC just makes me drowsy and lazy, the opposite of what I'm wanting. So I'll use CBD for the non-psychoactive benefits, but don't really care much for recreational weed anymore.
Old 07-28-20, 10:00 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 506 Posts
Oh wait, melaTONin, at first I thought you were talking about Melanin