Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Has anyone caught covid19 while cycling?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 07-25-20, 12:46 PM
3949dxer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Sport, Merida road bike, crappy old MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As this goes on, it increasingly looks to me like indoor activities are more risky than first thought, and outdoor activities are less risky. The data is elusive though and it's hard to know how concerned (or careful) cyclists should be.

Has anyone here caught covid19, and suspect that they got it while cycling? Or know of anyone that has?
Old 07-25-20, 06:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15210 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,617 Posts
Probably somebody has, but this really isn't a significant way the virus spreads. I wouldn't ride in any pace lines, use push buttons for traffic signals or water fountains, etc. And then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-25-20, 07:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,217 Times in 1,432 Posts
On his most recent video Phil Gaimon said one of the handful of serious roadie clubs that never stopped group rides through the pandemic developed a COVID-19 outbreak that affected several riders. No other details, no idea whether that's accurate.

Most local group rides where I lived resumed activities in early May. I haven't heard of any outbreaks linked to those rides. But the problem isn't generally with active, healthy people below age 60. The problem is they may become asymptomatic carriers who infect older and more vulnerable family, friends and acquaintances.

That's precisely what happened with one fellow who's a well regarded personal trainer. Apparently he continued his business as usual, contracted the coronavirus, spread it to his elderly mom and she died.

In another instance the same week locally, an elderly couple died within days of each other. No mention of how they contracted COVID-19. But when I checked their friends list, they were immediately associated with local younger cyclists and very active sociable people, some of whom I know continued life and business as usual. It didn't kill them. It killed the older couple.

Not surprisingly, these stories gained zero traction within the local cycling community. Young, healthy, fit people don't believe it'll happen to them or anyone they know. They posted little heart emojis to the Facebook obituaries, said their little thoughts and prayers, and resumed life as usual the next day.

Some friends, mostly a bit younger than I (they're 50s and younger), have resumed not only frequent group rides, but normal contact -- hugging, posing cheek to cheek for photos to social media, etc. So far I haven't heard of any consequences.

And these aren't bad people. Quite the opposite. Some are good friends, some of the most compassionate and loving people I know. But they just don't seem to believe it's real or that it can affect them or people they come into contact with. I suppose they were also going nuts from isolation and would rather risk illness than spend another day alone.

I joined a group ride this week, the first I've done since last autumn. We avoided personal contact -- no huggy kissy pix for Instagram. It was a very leisurely pace, so it's unlikely anyone would be blowing snot rockets or spitting or drooling on folks downwind. But I wasn't comfortable with the ride because I knew some of the participants also join some of the other group rides that have gone on as if there's no pandemic and nothing to worry about. So there are lots of opportunities for groups to cross-pollinate.

It wouldn't be bad if our group agreed to ride only with each other -- we've already been observing precautions since March. So we could still socialize and minimize risks. But we don't exclude folks who show up who are potential super spreaders.

So while it was nice to see friends again, I'm not sure I'll do the next group ride. Too many risks unless a handful of cautious people agree to exclude outsiders. But that's anathema to the entire purpose of our group rides. So we'd need to form another group that's exclusive and not publicized.

I suspect that after all the data is available and parsed to find answers, we'll find out that the vast majority of COVID-19 deaths were among folks over age 65, or with comorbidities: particularly obesity, diabetes, and related cardiovascular disease, exacerbated by smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol or other substances.

The existing data and anecdotes already indicate this pattern. In every instance where I've heard of a coronavirus-denialist/anti-masker getting sick and dying from COVID-19, they were just under the vulnerable age rage -- mostly 40-50 -- and somewhat obese.

Last edited by canklecat; 07-25-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 08:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked 2,265 Times in 1,462 Posts
I’m glad I ride solo.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-25-20, 08:36 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Probably somebody has, but this really isn't a significant way the virus spreads. I wouldn't ride in any pace lines, use push buttons for traffic signals or water fountains, etc. And then I wouldn't worry about it.
The primary way it spreads is breathing somebody else's breath. Its not hard to imagine that in a pace line, but in other cycling situations , probably not. Touchable surfaces is another situation. possible but unlikely. Wash your hands, don't pick your nose.
Old 07-25-20, 10:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4900 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 949 Posts
I haven't ridden in close proximity to someone who isn't my wife since July of 2019. In 2020, 95.6% of my nearly-5000 miles has been solo.

I feel like the ~2 hours a day I spend on the bike is the safest. I'm at risk when I have to go where... ugh, people are.
Old 07-25-20, 10:19 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I wouldn't ride in any pace lines
Indeed. And I find myself tempted to hang back unless I can definitively pass and do so quickly.

use push buttons for traffic signals
This is just being silly. SARS-COV2 is not a contact poison, there are plenty of safe ways to push a button (it's not like you can touch your face with your elbow even if you wanted to). There are also plenty of ways to clean your hands - and plenty of reasons why you should consider your hands dirty any time you are out in public and have not recently cleaned them.

A button out in the sun isn't that hospitable a surface to begin with.

or water fountains, etc.
It's easy to see why these are a knee-jerk concern, but designs that don't collect crud (and bottle fillers in particular) are probably fine if used with care.
Old 07-26-20, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13737 Post(s)
Liked 6,619 Times in 3,359 Posts
I use the elbow method to push walk signal button.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-26-20, 12:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

For years I've avoided using my hands or fingertips to push buttons, open doors, etc. I use my forearm or elbow whenever possible, and for elevator buttons I'll use a knuckle rather than fingertip.

Goes back to my years in health care, as a caregiver for vulnerable older family, and just generally recognizing how nasty some folks can be. Most of my work in health care was with immune-compromised patients, with operating room and tissue bank as adjunct duties, so hygiene and sterile field procedures were drilled into my skull early.

When I was in Navy Hospital Corps school and subsequent training, my then-wife and I could only afford off-base apartments that would nowadays be one of those rent by the day/week motel/apartment/vice palaces. My wife came back from the apartment complex laundry room angry and demanding that we go to another laundromat down the street. She'd witnessed one of our Navy neighbors dumping her baby's cloth diapers, still filled with feces, directly into the washing machines. Ever since then I always inspect the washers and dryers at public laundromats and usually set the wash and rinse cycles to hot, which pretty much limits the use to linens, towels and cotton socks. I hand wash my cycling apparel, so those aren't overcooked.

Between the industrial laundry down the street from us in San Diego, and the base hospital industrial laundry, the smell of scorched linens and starch still smell like "cleanliness" to me. Although I rarely use my clothing iron and just threw out a bottle of spray starch because I don't own a single article of clothing that needs to be starched and pressed.

Back in March-April this year some friends who work in health care were saying most people didn't need to wear surgical or health care type gloves to the grocery store, etc., because it was contributing to the shortage of supplies for health care professionals. I always stocked up on masks and gloves anyway so I had at least one box of masks and two of gloves. I said I wore gloves to the grocery store, bus, Uber, medical appointments, etc., to remind myself to keep my hands away from my face. The gloves are just a subconsciously tactile reminder. It was already ingrained in muscle memory that I don't touch my face when I'm wearing surgical gloves. That training was so ingrained that when I first got cycling gloves with those soft microfiber nose wipes on the thumb side, I wouldn't use them. I carried a bandanna or paper towel in my jersey pocket to wipe my nose. I had a hard time breaking that taboo about touching my face while wearing gloves.
Old 07-26-20, 12:56 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,208 Posts
Documented cases of transmission outdoors are very few and those tend to be when people socialize outdoors. So if you ride solo, that would appear to be a vanishingly small risk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/w...ors-party.html
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-27-20, 11:52 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 161 Posts
Solo cycling I would think would be one of the safest activity. Grocery stores on the other hand...
Old 07-27-20, 07:29 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3048 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,165 Posts
I have done a few small group rides, but they made me quite uncomfortable. Many of my cycling friends are doing smallish (5-10 people) group rides and I am jealous of the good time they are having, but I stay away. From social media, I see that some of them are also socializing in ways that I wouldn't. I am sure the risk is comparatively small, but it's at a level that causes me discomfort. Yes, I'm a healthy endurance athlete, but I'm not really that young.

And this has been said before, but nobody would claim that it's theoretically impossible to catch covid19 from a casual encounter while solo riding on a bike. It's possible. You ride past a parked car just as somebody leans out the window and coughs........who knows? For all the thousands of us out there, somebody has been unlucky. But the odds are very low.
Old 07-28-20, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
I have done a few small group rides, but they made me quite uncomfortable. Many of my cycling friends are doing smallish (5-10 people) group rides and I am jealous of the good time they are having, but I stay away. From social media, I see that some of them are also socializing in ways that I wouldn't. I am sure the risk is comparatively small, but it's at a level that causes me discomfort. Yes, I'm a healthy endurance athlete, but I'm not really that young...
Yup, that's been an issue here too. One of my cycling acquaintances flipped out and basically burned her bridges with many mutual acquaintances because she suspended activities for her cycling group, while some of the same members independently formed their own group and continued riding as normal. I suspect part of her reaction was a sort of jealousy, being unable to join the activities because she had family obligations that required her to self-quarantine as much as possible. I suggested she avoid burning bridges but it didn't help.

I actually enjoy seeing my younger friends continuing group rides and sharing their activities via social media. I'm worried about the effect on spreading the risk. And I won't join them because I'm on the verge of the vulnerable demographic -- early 60s, some chronic health issues. But I'm not gonna fuss at them about it. For all I know their health would suffer from prolonged isolation, while I'm comfortable being alone for weeks or months at a time. Just differences in temperament.
Old 08-20-20, 10:45 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3048 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,165 Posts
Revitalizing this thread to see where people stand at the moment.

More and more of my friends have returned to group riding, and AFAIK, there have been no issues. I continue to refrain, but the temptation grows.

Where are all of you in this process.
Old 08-20-20, 09:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6070 Post(s)
Liked 3,227 Times in 1,864 Posts

More and more of my friends have returned to group riding, and AFAIK, there have been no issues. I continue to refrain, but the temptation grows.

The group I would ride with is together from March thru zjuly each year and we disbanded for this season,, so its been all solo riding or family rides.
Probably 90% of my miles are solo this year. It isnt because I am currently actively avoiding group rides, I just don't usually do group rides at this point so I'm doing what I usually do.

I have a gravel race in early October I'm looking forward to. Gonna be super fun and I have no second thoughts about participating due to the size and efforts they race director implemented.
Old 10-01-20, 01:01 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: More than a few.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
I know of one local rider who contracted COVID by some means, was riding with others from my club until he tested positive, and no one he was riding with contracted it.

Even if there's an appearance of a rider spreading COVID to others they ride with, did that transmission actually happen on the ride? Or did it occur in the parking lot before or after the ride, or at a rest stop, coffee stop, etc.

At this point I don't know of a single rider known to or even suspecting they contracted COVID-19 while riding, of roughly the 80 or so riders I know in my area.
Old 10-01-20, 01:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7759 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,536 Posts

I'll be waiting 'til we're well into 2021 to go on another group ride or race, who knows, maybe never.

I also try to avoid MUPs and MTB trails on the weekends and holidays.

For me a successful ride is one with zero flybys.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 10-03-20, 07:40 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I'm still riding solo though members of our club are riding together. The club's position is to not post any official club rides...if members happen to end up at the same place at the same time and decide to ride together, that's up to them.

Nobody has had COVID to my knowledge...including me. I give wide berth to other riders, runners and walkers while I'm riding and don't worry too much about pushing walk buttons when needed.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)