Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

One country stands alone, as the only affluent nation ...

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

One country stands alone, as the only affluent nation ...

Old 09-16-20, 07:08 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 117 Posts

Trump on COVID vaccine: I know better than the head of CDC

"Trump has repeatedly promised that a vaccine will be ready for distribution in either October or November."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-on-...234015699.html
Old 09-16-20, 09:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17051 Post(s)
Liked 8,958 Times in 5,021 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Have you seen this NPR story from south of the border? Excerpts below.

"Picture this: You're 17, you walk into a corner store and grab a Coca-Cola and Doritos, but the cashier refuses to sell them to you because you're underage."

"That rule is expected to soon become reality in parts of Mexico, as lawmakers in several states push legislation to keep junk food away from children, partly in response to the coronavirus pandemic."

"More than 70,000 Mexicans have died from COVID-19, the world's fourth-highest recorded death toll, according to tracking by Johns Hopkins University. Two-thirds of those who died in Mexico had an underlying medical condition such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular problems, according to Health Department officials. That has led to a new urgency to change diets so that the younger generation doesn't suffer those ailments."
I know a lot of people will see this as a grave threat to personal liberty everywhere, keep yer hands off my doritos. Obesity is a problem for everyone, society at large (costs the medical system more than cigarettes!), obese people themselves, family taking care of them when the health consequences set in. And the kicker is fat people don't want to be fat. I say good on Mexico for trying to do something about it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-17-20, 04:01 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
you guys need to come over to partisanlines.com and get into the P&R section...

Politics | Partisan Lines
Old 09-18-20, 04:42 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,175 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I know a lot of people will see this as a grave threat to personal liberty everywhere, keep yer hands off my doritos. Obesity is a problem for everyone, society at large (costs the medical system more than cigarettes!), obese people themselves, family taking care of them when the health consequences set in. And the kicker is fat people don't want to be fat. I say good on Mexico for trying to do something about it.
Yup. I'm all for freedom of choice once an adult.

This does make me think of all the double sized "sharing size" candy bars that have pushed out standard sized candy bars in convenience stores and hardware stores.

I like to pick up a standard sized candy bar once in a while, but now I can't even find standard sized bar sold in the usual places anymore. The fattening of America is only getting worse.
Old 09-19-20, 07:05 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Yup. I'm all for freedom of choice once an adult.

This does make me think of all the double sized "sharing size" candy bars that have pushed out standard sized candy bars in convenience stores and hardware stores.

I like to pick up a standard sized candy bar once in a while, but now I can't even find standard sized bar sold in the usual places anymore. The fattening of America is only getting worse.

Are you already obese?
Old 09-19-20, 10:52 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,175 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn View Post
Are you already obese?
Not yet, but with these "sharing size" candy bars I can finally reach that life long dream.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-20-20, 03:01 AM
BikeTr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure about it
Old 09-21-20, 05:34 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2558 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
Not really.

Much of Europe is seeing a massive resurgence of cases. https://www.euronews.com/2020/09/21/...ntry-breakdown

France, Poland, the Netherlands and Spain are likely dealing with the much-feared second wave and have started taking action to curb it. France, for example, declared 13,498 new cases on Saturday, the highest figure it has recorded.
"We have a very serious situation unfolding before us," said Dr Hans Kluge, the World Health Organization's regional director for Europe, on Thursday. He was speaking as he revealed Europe's number of weekly infections was higher now than at the first peak in March.
Although, Sweden seems exempt from this recent resurgence. https://apnews.com/a01ddfa2e8ef839b2ee05e2cbcd63169
Old 09-22-20, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15340 Post(s)
Liked 9,117 Times in 4,503 Posts
The fattening of America is only getting worse.
On Sunday I fished a tour across Pennsylvania. The size of the average person in Pennsyltucky was scary. One afternoon I shopped at a grocery store (IGA-affiliated) that was not a tiny one in some sparsely populated area. For the store's size, the fresh produce section was relatively small, with a very limited selection of green vegetables. Yet there seemed to be no end to the number of aisles and shelves devoted to junk food like cookies, cakes, chips and candy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 02:12 PM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
On Sunday I fished a tour across Pennsylvania. The size of the average person in Pennsyltucky was scary. One afternoon I shopped at a grocery store (IGA-affiliated) that was not a tiny one in some sparsely populated area. For the store's size, the fresh produce section was relatively small, with a very limited selection of green vegetables. Yet there seemed to be no end to the number of aisles and shelves devoted to junk food like cookies, cakes, chips and candy.
You’re right. All 13 million of us are fat and I don't even know what you mean by “vegetables”.
Old 09-22-20, 02:33 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Meh, old and sick people. They would have died anyway.

And yes, I am being facetious. I don't think people understand how bad of a situation we are in. The fall/winter is going to be REALY bad - especially if students (K through college) go to face-face learning. All our eggs are in the vaccine basket now...
Sadly there are plenty of people who actually believe the mantra of "old and sick people...would have died anyway." I hear them say it every day. Incredible how callous people in this country have become. Isn't one of the benefits of living in a wealthy nation that you don't have to witness deaths by disease, famine, etc on a daily basis? And by not witnessing death so often makes you more sensitive to it when you do see it? Yet, we seem to have gone the other direction and have a person in the White House who feels it is acceptable to say "It is what it is." How is this acceptable for anyone?
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-23-20, 04:24 AM
BikeTr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"old and sick people...would have died anyway." - it's a pity
Old 09-23-20, 08:02 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
Sadly there are plenty of people who actually believe the mantra of "old and sick people...would have died anyway." I hear them say it every day. Incredible how callous people in this country have become. Isn't one of the benefits of living in a wealthy nation that you don't have to witness deaths by disease, famine, etc on a daily basis? And by not witnessing death so often makes you more sensitive to it when you do see it? Yet, we seem to have gone the other direction and have a person in the White House who feels it is acceptable to say "It is what it is." How is this acceptable for anyone?
Still a lot of deaths from diseases. We've only replaced certain diseases, such as Polio, Tetanus, etc. with other things like obesity, Type 2 diabetes, numerous cancers, diseases caused from toxic city water...

However, I do believe that many of these disease are easily prevented, by simply returning to a more environmentally conscious way of living. We don't have to do away with technology and become a nation of luddites, rather we just need to change how we produce our food; that's not an end-all-be-all, but it would go far in improving our health and the health of our ecosystem, starting with the foundation of terrestrial life -- the soil.

Improving soil not only improves food quality, it filters water that we drink and puts a stop to all the dead zones we see in our waterways and oceans. Not to mention it would allow us to naturally sequester tons of carbon in the soil, where it belongs, supporting all the carbon-based soil lifeforms. The is no soil in conventional farming, only dirt and it holds virtually no carbon or water, nor does it filter water.

There are so many benefits to be had from changing our agricultural farming practices, including livestock, but it only gets lip service from the so-called environmentalists.

This is such a huge topic, luckily it seems to be gaining ground in popularity, but still a long way to go; many still mock this idea of regenerative farming.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-23-20, 08:32 AM
MntnMan62

Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
Still a lot of deaths from diseases. We've only replaced certain diseases, such as Polio, Tetanus, etc. with other things like obesity, Type 2 diabetes, numerous cancers, diseases caused from toxic city water...

However, I do believe that many of these disease are easily prevented, by simply returning to a more environmentally conscious way of living. We don't have to do away with technology and become a nation of luddites, rather we just need to change how we produce our food; that's not an end-all-be-all, but it would go far in improving our health and the health of our ecosystem, starting with the foundation of terrestrial life -- the soil.

Improving soil not only improves food quality, it filters water that we drink and puts a stop to all the dead zones we see in our waterways and oceans. Not to mention it would allow us to naturally sequester tons of carbon in the soil, where it belongs, supporting all the carbon-based soil lifeforms. The is no soil in conventional farming, only dirt and it holds virtually no carbon or water, nor does it filter water.

There are so many benefits to be had from changing our agricultural farming practices, including livestock, but it only gets lip service from the so-called environmentalists.

This is such a huge topic, luckily it seems to be gaining ground in popularity, but still a long way to go; many still mock this idea of regenerative farming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDOzu6mjsuI
I agree that diseases tend to get replaced with others. But Polio and Tetanus and now Covid-19 are diseases whcih are extremely difficult to avoid without either a vaccine or social distancing or both. Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes are diseases which many (though not all) of those who have the disease can do something about by their own actions. Cancer is much more complicated. But I agree with you that environmental health has a direct correlation to human health. Unfortunately the current president is doing what he can to remove those protections that are in place which will contribute to even further attacks on human health.
Old 09-23-20, 12:13 PM
work4bike

Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
I agree that diseases tend to get replaced with others. But Polio and Tetanus and now Covid-19 are diseases whcih are extremely difficult to avoid without either a vaccine or social distancing or both. Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes are diseases which many (though not all) of those who have the disease can do something about by their own actions. Cancer is much more complicated. But I agree with you that environmental health has a direct correlation to human health. Unfortunately the current president is doing what he can to remove those protections that are in place which will contribute to even further attacks on human health.
I agree, much of the diseases today are relatively easy to avoid; however, I see these diseases as an inevitable outcome of a society that provides so much for us, with so little effort on our part. We are not alone in this issue of obesity and other diseases related to living in a modern wealthy nation.

Also, I do wonder how many diseases, such as cancers and other diseases can be connected with our unhealthy environment, that was my point on our modern conventional farming practices. Whether it be from polluted waters, toxic x-icicdes all around us and on/in our foods, eating foods with very little nutritional value, from being grown in chemically induced ground where the soil is basically dead. These are problems the entire modern world is now facing. Not to mention the environmental impact we're having on the earth.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-23-20, 01:31 PM
MntnMan62

Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I agree, much of the diseases today are relatively easy to avoid; however, I see these diseases as an inevitable outcome of a society that provides so much for us, with so little effort on our part. We are not alone in this issue of obesity and other diseases related to living in a modern wealthy nation.

Also, I do wonder how many diseases, such as cancers and other diseases can be connected with our unhealthy environment, that was my point on our modern conventional farming practices. Whether it be from polluted waters, toxic x-icicdes all around us and on/in our foods, eating foods with very little nutritional value, from being grown in chemically induced ground where the soil is basically dead. These are problems the entire modern world is now facing. Not to mention the environmental impact we're having on the earth.

I hear you. I definitely think there is some correlation between the environment and diseases, especially cancer. I also think cancer can be hereditary and can also manifest from our own internal mindset. If we are anxious and stressed for long periods of time, I believe that makes us more susceptible to certain cancers. The environment most definitely contributes to so many things. Not just physical health but also mental health. And since it's all related, there you go.........