Old 08-08-20, 08:23 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 256 Posts
Back to Square One

In the last several weeks I've noticed significant numbers of cars on the road and people being lax about distancing and wearing masks. This all reminds me of the story of the kids who grabbed the candy treat right off the bat rather than wait for a bigger reward a bit later. The consequences of this attitude is a slow resumption of the economy and persistent and recurring rates of infection. My impression reading the news and from posts here is that this situation is occurring over large parts of the country. I think I would be inclined to maintain a good supply of toilet paper and packages of Ramen Noodles on hand.
Likes For berner:
Old 08-08-20, 08:29 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 166 Posts
Oh my god people in cars, on the road, oh my god!
Old 08-08-20, 12:38 PM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
I think I would be inclined to maintain a good supply of toilet paper and packages of Ramen Noodles on hand.
Good idea. A lot of folks just don’t have your back.
Old 08-08-20, 12:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11763 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 827 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of people moving around here, but also seeing general social distancing and nearly universal wearing masks in stores and businesses. (Order of the Governor). I have been to gas stations without workers wearing masks (or not wearing them properly) when outside. Oregon is one of the non self-service states, so someone comes to take the credit card, and fill the tank. I usually crack the window a few inches (unless I'm getting out for one reason or another).

Mask wearing outside is more sporadic, and so far I've avoided places with large crowds of people.

Bristol Rhode Island appears to be a small community with a case or two a day. But, is it largely a suburb of Providence, so what happens in Providence happens in Bristol?

It does appear as if Rhode Island is well into its second wave of infections, with slowly increasing infections, although so far not being reflected in the mortality rate, and second wave numbers are still reasonably low.

Rhode Island, population: 1 Million, 19,738 cases in the state. 1,014 deaths (If there is a 1% mortality rate, that reflects approximately 100,000 cases total).

So, somewhere on order of 10% of the population in Rhode Island has likely been infected, and would be generally immune. Likely higher in central Providence.

A question I've proposed a while ago is whether parts of the Northeast are already experiencing impacts of significant "Herd Immunity". Some parts of New York City may well have > 50% of their population previously infected.

On the other hand, here, applying the same metric to Oregon, we may well have had closer to 1% of the population infected, and a lot of people who are vulnerable.
Old 08-08-20, 01:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11720 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,893 Posts
I agree with the OP. Traffic is way up here in Philadelphia, but many people are still driving like crazy, which they started doing more of when the roads were much less crowded. That, in turn, has led to an increase in accidents.

Social distancing is way down. I was just in a local indoor farm market sort of place today. They used to limit the number of people allowed in. Now it’s a free for all like it normally was on a Saturday before all this started. The guy behind me in line at a produce place was probably 3’ behind me even though there are markers on the floor. People at one butcher were closer than that to each other. (I hung back waiting for my number to be called.) Same at the fish monger I went to. My local Whole Foods has done away with nearly all distancing measures it had in place. Normally I work from home most days and try to shop early to beat the crowds, but this week I had to go to my NJ office four days.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-08-20 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-08-20, 01:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11763 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I agree with the OP. Traffic is way up here in Philadelphia, but many people are still driving like crazy, which they started doing more of when the roads were much less crowded. That, in turn has led to an increase in accidents.

Social distancing is way down. I was just in a local indoor farm market sort of place today. They used to limit the number of people allowed in. Now it’s a free for all like it normally was on a Saturday before all this started. The guy behind me in line at a produce place was probably 3’ behind me even though there are markers on the floor. People at one butcher were closer than that to each other. (I hung back waiting for my number to be called.) Same at the fish monger I went to. My local Whole Foods has done away with nearly all distancing measures it had in place.
Makes me think a bit about Italy. It has been a while, but I remember the markets. People would just crowd in. I could hardly imagine how "Social Distancing" would work. When we were there, we'd kind of stand back, and in 5 or 10 minutes, someone would point to the Americans in the back of the crowd and ask what we wanted.

Around here, we had many well intended plans for social distancing, but most of them have slowly been abandoned. One-Way aisles in stores, waiting zones outside, etc... all only marginally effective and discarded.

For the most part, people do seem to be courteous, and generally socially distancing. All stores have a note on the door stating that masks are required, and compliance is generally high.

People do seem to be doing reasonably well at distancing in checkout lines (a cart helps with spacing).

Yet, I can imagine social distancing burnout too.

We have state guidelines to reopen schools, and need to get our case count cut by about 50%. Then we'll see what happens if we do get schools open.
Old 08-09-20, 11:28 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 256 Posts
I read today in the NY Times Sunday edition about the response in Belgium by the "experts" to covid-19. Belgium has had a very high or the highest death rate due to infection than any other place on the planet, something like 60% of total deaths have been in nursing homes. Basically, old people were abandoned. They were totally unprepared with necessary supplies but those experts still collected salaries. I think I can see why a large portion of the general public does not trust the science. Many people who should, are not paying attention to the science either.
Old 08-15-20, 08:25 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 210 Posts
^^^^ in actuality the world has never left square 1 >>>> COVID is more present than ever "curve flattening" "vaccines" "reopenings" are the national myths necessary to avoid the chaos that the truth might bring ... mankind is a dumb herd waiting on a promise or believable lie and wanting a savior or judas goat ... in times of nothing anything will do
Old 08-15-20, 08:40 AM
motorthings 

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
for context: the famous Stanford Marshmallow Experiment
Old 08-15-20, 09:12 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 210 Posts
^^^ i don't see delayed gratification as much as i see fear inspired stasis or confusion ... i liken the COVID to an asteroid that's coming ... it's gonna hit and things are gonna get worse ... we see it but we really can't figure out how to save ourselves ... so 95% just look at the sky and wait or pray or dig useless shelters while the other 5% are still trying to figure out how to keep it from hitting or lessening its damage .... this is the COVID reality
Old 08-16-20, 12:46 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
I read today in the NY Times Sunday edition about the response in Belgium by the "experts" to covid-19. Belgium has had a very high or the highest death rate due to infection than any other place on the planet, something like 60% of total deaths have been in nursing homes. Basically, old people were abandoned. They were totally unprepared with necessary supplies but those experts still collected salaries. I think I can see why a large portion of the general public does not trust the science. Many people who should, are not paying attention to the science either.
Pretty sure it wouldn't have been scientists making those decisions, but politicians and bureaucrats...
Old 08-20-20, 09:21 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 66 Posts
This thing of people being lax, most of which (from my observations) is the young; you'll remember when we were "invincible"

Furthermore, it's not just in the US, but around the world; it only seems like it's happening here, thanks to our BS media and people in general freaking out (much like what you see here in this forum and other places).

Interesting news from around the world showing that there's now a global spike in cases. Not a second wave, just the young getting restless.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 08-20-20, 09:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings View Post
Yep. Fascinating study that potentially accounts for a lot of outwardly appearing irrational behavior. Personaly, I think it has a LOT to do with people not complying with COVID suggestions and mandates. What we have now is a similar experiment ... but instead of being told how long they have to wait, the time is indefinite ... currently unknown. That a lot of people are not responding well is disappointing, but no surprise.