Masks and exercise

Old 08-31-20, 01:11 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
Masks and exercise

Since I have worked heavily in science as an R & D electronics engineer, I have had to work closely with statistics. This is why I have strongly questioned CDC's statistics. Now it turns out that less than 6% of so-called covid-19 deaths are the sole cause of death. We have state and local governments locking you down and destroying your income because old people die. The overwhelming numbers of people that actually died from covid-19 were not expected to live out 2020. And most of the CDC Statistics showed that when you pay medical facilities to report covid-19 deaths that is what they will do. This is a bit off-thread but I'm trying to make the point that things like masks are not something that is worn, especially when riding or other exercise. This causes a condition known as hypercapnia, This is an increase in CO2 in your bloodstream that can lead to many health conditions not the least of which can be heart and other organ failure. The actual medical science is that masks are only used in an operating room to prevent goop from being sprayed into the surgeon's mouth. Tests have shown no difference in the infection rates of the patients whether masks are used by the staff or not. Think of it this way - the most useful masks are the N95 operating room mask and they have the breathing pores of 30 micrometers in diameter. They can't be made smaller or the user couldn't breath. A covid-19 virus RNA molecule is 120 nanometers - 200 times smaller. Through special tests they have been shown to stop 44% of virus penetration. But this is statistical evidence and what it means is that ONE virus has a 44% chance of getting through. The trouble with that is the air around an infected person has thousands of viral particles and these are renewed with every breath. These hang in the air for many minutes after an infected person passes until air currants disperse them. meaning that the idea of "social distancing" is stupid. Cloth masks are almost entirely ineffective. It would be like trying to catch a grain of dust floating on the air with a chickenwire fence.

So people under 50 have almost nothing to fear from this and wearing a mask should be left to bank robbers. What are the statistics of covid-19? Only 25% of the population do not have immune systems that do not react rapidly enough to prevent infection from this virus. Of that 25%, 99% of them either have no symptoms or so slight that they don't even realize they have it. Only 1% have bad reactions and most of them recover. And even the worst - people 80+ years old with comorbities, fully half recover. Right now the FDA is testing an Israeli treatment that has shown 100% success rate - 2 hours relief from the most onerous symptoms to 2 days being released from the hospital. Does all of this sound like you should be locked down and wearing a mask and losing money by not working at the most important time of your life? Does this sound like so many businesses should be driven into bankruptcy? Exactly WHO has this helped and how?

I am 75 years old and am not worried about this virus. Despite this lock down I have half of my normal riding in - 2800 miles and 90,000 feet of climbing. Why are so many people being frightened out of their wits about it?
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 08-31-20, 04:01 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7911 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 808 Posts
Moving to our covid19 forum from General.

I’ll put my money on the scientists, thank you. WEAR YOUR MASKS.

Last edited by BillyD; 08-31-20 at 04:07 PM.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 08-31-20, 04:11 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: Giant Road Bike & MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 85 Posts
Ah, Billy, I think what he's saying is the actual science. It's not the media hype, but if you study actual statistics on this 'pandemic', what he's saying appears to be true.
Old 08-31-20, 04:29 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
You need to tell the President and all the world's leaders this is a media hoax and that they have been deceived!
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 08-31-20, 04:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11875 Post(s)
Liked 3,818 Times in 2,009 Posts

Having been conscious on a ventilator, Iíll take a mask any day.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-31-20 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-31-20, 04:54 PM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Let's see.... R&D electronics engineer or a world renown epidemiologist ....hmmmmm, who should I listen to regarding a pandemic??? Decisions decisions.....
Old 08-31-20, 05:19 PM
shelbyfv

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 714 Posts
Sometimes I borrow my wife's Facebook account to look at the local page for our small town. The guy that works in the 7-11, the hairdresser and the real estate agent have all become epidemiologists, seemingly overnight. I don't have that much ambition.
Old 08-31-20, 05:34 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ririder View Post
Let's see.... R&D electronics engineer or a world renown epidemiologist ....hmmmmm, who should I listen to regarding a pandemic??? Decisions decisions.....
At least you know who to hit up if you need a new stereo system.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-31-20, 05:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Sometimes I borrow my wife's Facebook account to look at the local page for our small town. The guy that works in the 7-11, the hairdresser and the real estate agent have all become epidemiologists, seemingly overnight. I don't have that much ambition.
Do they recommend injecting disinfectant into the body?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-31-20, 05:55 PM
shelbyfv

I don't know that they even get that far. They seem convinced they and theirs aren't gonna catch it. They talk of boycotting Walmart and the Dollar store because they might have to wear a mask.
Old 08-31-20, 05:59 PM
shelbyfv

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post

Having been conscious on a ventilator, Iíll take a mask any day.
That has to have been terrifying. If I was a youngster I'd probably feel differently but I told my wife "no ventilator" if I catch it. Seems as if the chances of full recovery are slim for old folks.
Old 08-31-20, 06:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 3761 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 917 Posts
Oh, look, it's this thread again.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-31-20, 06:19 PM
indyfabz

That has to have been terrifying. If I was a youngster I'd probably feel differently but I told my wife "no ventilator" if I catch it. Seems as if the chances of full recovery are slim for old folks.
It was. I came to after heart valve replacement surgery at age 25. I was as strong as an ox and could breathe on my own, but there was a protocol that required you to be on a ventilator for X number of hours regardless of your condition. They finally gave me something that put me out again.
Old 08-31-20, 06:24 PM
shelbyfv

OMG, what a nightmare. No excuse for them letting you come to before the time was up. Scary.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-31-20, 06:43 PM
indyfabz

OMG, what a nightmare. No excuse for them letting you come to before the time was up. Scary.
The next day my bladder catheter came out. A nurse asked me if I had pulled it out. Not kidding when I say that I told her ďYeah. I saw a plastic tube sticking up my **** and thought it would be a good idea to pull it out.Ē I didnít even know I had had one in, which prompted me to add ďAnd youíre not putting it back in as long as Iím awake.Ē
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-31-20, 06:48 PM
ririder

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The next day my bladder catheter came out. A nurse asked me if I had pulled it out. Not kidding when I say that I told her “Yeah. I saw a plastic tube sticking up my **** and thought it would be a good idea to pull it out.” I didn’t even know I had had one in, which prompted me to add “And you’re not putting it back in as long as I’m awake.”
A rather unpleasant experience if I recall through the fog of dilaudid.
Old 08-31-20, 06:50 PM
shelbyfv

And we pay more than any other country for our medical care....
Old 08-31-20, 07:20 PM
indyfabz

A rather unpleasant experience if I recall through the fog of dilaudid.
I got a shot of morphine for breakfast. The last thing I remember was being wheeled into the prep room, so I missed all the fun parts like that.

They had shaved my entire body below the neck except for my arms, which are what they taped all the tubes and wires to. I told they should let people know so they can decide if they want the job finished.
Old 08-31-20, 07:24 PM
Bigbus

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Oh, look, it's this thread again.
Oh, Look who's reading this thread again!
Old 08-31-20, 07:30 PM
Bigbus

People have such short memories. When this first started and there were only a couple of known cases in this country Dr. Fauci was on TV explaining that masks might cause more harm than good and that excluding N95 surgical masks, home made cloth masks might trap up to 2% of the contagions. Isn't he supposedly the renowned epidemiologist that we should be listening to?
Old 08-31-20, 07:41 PM
ririder

Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
People have such short memories. When this first started and there were only a couple of known cases in this country Dr. Fauci was on TV explaining that masks might cause more harm than good and that excluding N95 surgical masks, home made cloth masks might trap up to 2% of the contagions. Isn't he supposedly the renowned epidemiologist that we should be listening to?
I've gotten really tired of trying to give the explanation for the whole mask thing. If you were really interested in knowing about it I'm sure you'd already know the answer to that so I'm just going to answer, yes he is. He's got enough credibility for me. Ya know, having the support of US Presidents going back to Reagan, meh, he's probably legit.
Likes For ririder:
Old 08-31-20, 08:54 PM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 CiŲcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Likes For peugeot mongrel:
Old 09-01-20, 03:55 AM
indyfabz

Call me crazy, but Iím willing to take an easy step to block even 2%. (My company-issued mask is tight-knit synthetic that I wash daily.) Why arenít you? Selfishness? An incorrect belief that you have a constitutional right to enter a store without one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyd...outputType=amp
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-01-20, 05:47 AM
indyfabz

Apparently this bicycle forum is for non-epidemiologists who want to give irrational advice to former electronic engineers.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-01-20 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-01-20, 09:59 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7911 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 808 Posts
I've gotten really tired of trying to give the explanation for the whole mask thing. If you were really interested in knowing about it I'm sure you'd already know the answer to that so I'm just going to answer, yes he is. He's got enough credibility for me. Ya know, having the support of US Presidents going back to Reagan, meh, he's probably legit.
Not just Dr. Fauci, but the consensus of the entire medical establishment at that time was to avoid a panic grab of all the masks ... much like the irrational toilet paper grab ... that would deprive the medical workers of PPE. Once the PPE supply for medical staff stabilized it became clear that masks were indeed a necessity for all.

Incidentally, many a conspiracy theorist developed his paranoia from observations of the government clearly withholding information in certain situations. But this Covid19 crisis and the irrational toilet paper grab has demonstrated why it's important for the government to sometimes operate in this manner ... to prevent harmful public panic. Fortunately for us all it was only an out-of-control toilet paper panic, but it could easily have been an out-of-control and deadly mask panic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.