Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Hooda Thunk it- Sturgis

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Hooda Thunk it- Sturgis

Old 09-08-20, 03:50 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
Hooda Thunk it- Sturgis

Responsible for 260,000 cases (including secondary infections) according to modelling https://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf
Pity health authorities can't ask the question when people get tested "have you, or anybody you know been to Sturgis recently?" But South Dakota did coincidentally did get a massive spike in cases afterwards.
Old 09-08-20, 11:36 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 88 Posts

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is responsible for 260,000 new cases of coronavirus and will cost $12.2 billion in health care to treat those whose infections can be tied back to the South Dakota event, new study claims

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem said the study was 'fiction' on Tuesday, and she criticized journalists who reported on it, while defending rally attendees

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...2-billion.html
Old 09-09-20, 12:14 AM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 313 Posts
take the money and run...hoo hoo hoo.. should have been roadblocks for the applicable days (locals only-id required) and social media posts (along with newspaper/teevee drops) cancelling this event at least two weeks in advance.

waiting for the nfl season to be cancelled/truncated. then maybe diphthongs will finally "get it."
Old 09-09-20, 04:42 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 178 Posts
Wait for the figures of the latest trump rallies come in.
Old 09-10-20, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11642 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is responsible for 260,000 new cases of coronavirus and will cost $12.2 billion in health care to treat those whose infections can be tied back to the South Dakota event, new study claims

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem said the study was 'fiction' on Tuesday, and she criticized journalists who reported on it, while defending rally attendees

In other words, the study is credible.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-11-20, 11:16 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 201 Posts
Quite a stretch to claim that >200,000 infections were caused by Sturgis, given its based only on cellphone data ... which we’ve been told is not adequate for contact tracing purposes.

I’ll wait for real data, thankyouverymuch.

Old 09-12-20, 02:26 AM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

as long as everyone had their usual, buzzy good time, i'm sure everything was safe, by the book and above reproach. what could possibly happen in this golden age of personal responsibility
in a lowest, common denominator area? nice to know sd is good, budget-wise, to be able to cover potential ficticious-said health care. oh wait...

Last edited by ooga-booga; 09-12-20 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 03:11 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Quite a stretch to claim that >200,000 infections were caused by Sturgis, given its based only on cellphone data ... which we’ve been told is not adequate for contact tracing purposes.

I’ll wait for real data, thankyouverymuch.
You'll be waiting a long time then, if you think there will be a special survey done specifically asking about Sturgis, but SD definitely had a good old spike post Sturgis https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html as have surrounding states.
Old 09-12-20, 12:24 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
You'll be waiting a long time then, if you think there will be a special survey done specifically asking about Sturgis, but SD definitely had a good old spike post Sturgis https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html as have surrounding states.
i have read that so far, they’ve traced perhaps 200 cases to Sturgis. And those spikes also followed other events which likely contributed to the spikes.

i have no doubt that Sturgis we’ll result in significantly more cases. But the methodology and assumptions of that study are shaky at best.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 09-12-20, 05:30 PM
Trevtassie

i have read that so far, they’ve traced perhaps 200 cases to Sturgis. And those spikes also followed other events which likely contributed to the spikes.

i have no doubt that Sturgis we’ll result in significantly more cases. But the methodology and assumptions of that study are shaky at best.
It's not rocket science to think that getting 400000 people together from disparate places to get drunk and party from in the midst of a pandemic will be a disaster. It's magical thinking to think that it won't be. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...0,000/12658432
Incidentally US excess deaths passed 200,000 weeks ago. Slowing testing and counting can't hide dead people.
​​​
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 09-12-20, 11:09 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 786 Posts
I wonder if covid death victims can harvest their organs? I ordered a kidney and a liver that got delivered in an Igloo cooler. But I sent it back because it contained COVID-19. Bad for business.
Old 09-13-20, 12:39 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 832 Posts
As this Twitter thread by Dr. Ashish Jha notes, the worst case scenario posited for Sturgis seems very unlikely. Harmless, no. But the speculation of a 250k super spreader event, also no. Probably. Still not the kind of place or people I'd hang out with.
Old 09-15-20, 10:44 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I also found the estimate of 260K new infections not very real. Nonetheless, someone did reportedly die in Minnesota and they have a few dozen known cases. Still, it only took a couple of dozen. maybe a hundred spreaders back in January coming to NYC and look what happened... 200K dead.
Old 09-16-20, 11:16 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
It's not rocket science to think that getting 400000 people together from disparate places to get drunk and party from in the midst of a pandemic will be a disaster. It's magical thinking to think that it won't be. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...0,000/12658432
Incidentally US excess deaths passed 200,000 weeks ago. Slowing testing and counting can't hide dead people.
​​​
This pretty much explains it. The numbers posited were waaaay out of whack, and they should and did set off a lot of people's BS meters.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/09...ion-paper.html

Old 09-17-20, 12:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 485 Posts
thx, that's a good article from Slate. This is the key right here I think:

They use a “difference-in-difference” approach, calculating whether the change in case trends for a county that sent many people to Sturgis was larger compared with a county that sent none. They looked at how cumulative case numbers changed between June 6 and Sept. 2.While this approach may sound sensible, it relies on strong assumptions that rarely hold in the real world. For one thing, there are many other differences between counties full of bike rally fans versus those with none
The number of bikers a particular county 'sent' to Sturgis is going to be strongly correlated with the number of bikers in a county, and it seems a pretty easy stereotype that the number of bikers would be strongly correlated with the number of anti-authority types who would eschew masks and flout social distancing restrictions. So the statistical uptick in all the home counties of the Sturgians is probably mostly caused by similar-attitude neighbors who stayed at home to do the work of superspreadin'

Interesting also, the end of the Slate article links two other studies by the same authors, who appear to be saying that BLM protests and Trump's Tulsa rally, did NOT cause infectious breakouts. Looks like they're saying in both cases, offsetting factors were more significant: when there's controversial protests or rallies going on, everybody that's not participating are more likely to hunker down at home.
Old 09-17-20, 12:55 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 555 Posts
Seems to me that all this is saying is that social distancing, masks, hand washing, ie all this stuff we are supposed to do, really does make a real difference. I saw far more masks and distance at the protests. I suspect they did the same or better when they got home.
Old 09-17-20, 01:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Seems to me that all this is saying is that social distancing, masks, hand washing, ie all this stuff we are supposed to do, really does make a real difference. I saw far more masks and distance at the protests. I suspect they did the same or better when they got home.
Yup. I found myself recently going through all the smoke and crap driving home from Seattle last week. I was shocked at how many people were OK with eating indoors in restaurants with people relatively close by. Most of them were in an at-risk demographic too (weight, age, etc.)

Old 09-17-20, 01:07 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
The number is based on modeling and "published" as a working paper (i.e. not peer reviewed) by an economist. Modeling is only as good as the assumptions made on the input parameters so we should take this prediction with some skepticism. There can be no doubt that the event lead to many more cases; however the true toll will likely never be known. The media slobbers over this sort of story, though, because they know that it attracts viewers. I consider economists to be pretty shrewd people, having worked with a few, but I see this sort of "publish to the press" trend as being a bit unethical. The the more significant issue IMO is the dilution of public respect for the scientific approach.
Old 09-17-20, 01:51 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
The number is based on modeling and "published" as a working paper (i.e. not peer reviewed) by an economist. Modeling is only as good as the assumptions made on the input parameters so we should take this prediction with some skepticism. There can be no doubt that the event lead to many more cases; however the true toll will likely never be known. The media slobbers over this sort of story, though, because they know that it attracts viewers. I consider economists to be pretty shrewd people, having worked with a few, but I see this sort of "publish to the press" trend as being a bit unethical. The the more significant issue IMO is the dilution of public respect for the scientific approach.
​​​​​​ Well stated.
Old 09-17-20, 01:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I agree.

My assumption on that models' input is: not enough ice cream

Last edited by RubeRad; 09-17-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 02:33 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 555 Posts
Yup. I found myself recently going through all the smoke and crap driving home from Seattle last week. I was shocked at how many people were OK with eating indoors in restaurants with people relatively close by. Most of them were in an at-risk demographic too (weight, age, etc.)
I've now seen twice the statement that half of recent COVID positives had eaten out in the previous 2 weeks. Spending extended time in close quarters, indoors and with nearly all masks off while placing food that has potentially been touched or in the vicinity of a "super spreader in my mouth just doesn't pass my "is this smart?" test.
Old 09-17-20, 04:32 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

A hundred times YES.

It perturbs me when I see memes purporting to present something like "This is the best road trip across the US according to science" and the like. Anyone with a lick of scientific training recognizes it for the BS that it is (a lot of opinions and guesses fed into an algorigthm of dubious validity), but those without scientific training or a skeptical eye eat it up. Then they all complain about how no one in the country trusts "science" as much as they do anymore.

Old 09-17-20, 04:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

No, a THOUSAND times YES

In the rush to denounce/mock the anti-science crowd, it is all to easy to succumb to the temptation to swallow bad science in the other direction, which just ends up giving the anti-science crowd more reasons to anti-science
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 09-17-20, 04:40 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I've now seen twice the statement that half of recent COVID positives had eaten out in the previous 2 weeks. Spending extended time in close quarters, indoors and with nearly all masks off while placing food that has potentially been touched or in the vicinity of a "super spreader in my mouth just doesn't pass my "is this smart?" test.
I've read data with the same conclusions. I think some of what I read is a little sketchy, as it was based on statistics rather than contact tracing. But that contact tracing study of the retaurant in China with the visitor from Wuhan (I'm sure you have seen it) is evidence enough for me to stay away from eating indoors. Nothankyouverymuch.

Old 09-17-20, 04:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

it's not about eating indoors, it's about breathing indoors

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.