bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Wim Hof Method VS Covid-19

Hi,

I'm interested to know if there's anyone around here who is living the Wim Hof Method lifestyle?
In short: it's cold therapy, breathing techniques, mindset changes,...
I've understood that cold therapy would increase the immunity of your body against diseases.
Would it work? They say it's scientifically proven.

I'm wondering if there's already a WHM practitioner that tested positive to Covid-19 or not.

Since a couple of weeks, I'm ending my warm showers gradually to a cold one. Feels pretty refreshing, certainly now in summer.
I'm wondering how long I will last when temperatures get colder when we reach winter. They speak about a 'cold shower' when the water is colder dan 20 degrees Celsius.
Currently, the coldest temperature that comes out of my tap is 23 degrees Celsius (73,4 Fahrenheit or 296,15 Kelvin), when winter comes closer, the ground and pipes will get colder and water will get colder soon.
Gonna try to keep it up as long as possible. I'm just curious how fast I'll catch a cold when autumn/winter starts and everyone's around with a dripping nose.

Anyone experience with cold showers?
Old 09-17-20, 08:26 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9496 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 1,204 Posts
Just stay away from "everyone," and you should not have a problem.
Old 09-17-20, 08:39 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 755 Posts
I've taken only cold showers all summer long and am covid symptom free.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 09-17-20, 08:42 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I eat an apple and a grapefruit every day and no covid
Old 09-17-20, 09:07 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
You will be immune to Covid if you remove your all your ace2 receptors.
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 09-17-20, 10:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked 1,581 Times in 1,013 Posts
Total isolation... sad but safe from Covid.. But Bubba and Bubbette say it’s a hoax and some deity will save them but again sugar doughnuts is health food...
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 09-18-20, 08:42 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 209 Posts
You'd be much better off finding a wim hof group and asking there. While there's probably something to what he's doing, it's going to be hard to figure given the signal tonoise ratio.
Old 09-18-20, 02:06 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 3,200 Times in 1,820 Posts
If you don't shower at all, people will avoid you and that will lessen your potential exposure.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-18-20, 05:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Quoted: 13151 Post(s)
Liked 4,483 Times in 2,514 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I've taken only cold showers all summer long and am covid symptom free.
Not having covid broke your water heater?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-18-20, 05:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Hi,

I'm interested to know if there's anyone around here who is living the Wim Hof Method lifestyle?
In short: it's cold therapy, breathing techniques, mindset changes,...
I've understood that cold therapy would increase the immunity of your body against diseases.
Would it work? They say it's scientifically proven.

I'm wondering if there's already a WHM practitioner that tested positive to Covid-19 or not.

Since a couple of weeks, I'm ending my warm showers gradually to a cold one. Feels pretty refreshing, certainly now in summer.
I'm wondering how long I will last when temperatures get colder when we reach winter. They speak about a 'cold shower' when the water is colder dan 20 degrees Celsius.
Currently, the coldest temperature that comes out of my tap is 23 degrees Celsius (73,4 Fahrenheit or 296,15 Kelvin), when winter comes closer, the ground and pipes will get colder and water will get colder soon.
Gonna try to keep it up as long as possible. I'm just curious how fast I'll catch a cold when autumn/winter starts and everyone's around with a dripping nose.

Anyone experience with cold showers?
The only thing about this that's really going to have any effect is breathing techniques, and only breathing through a mask. None of what you're doing is going to hurt you so if you find it refreshing then good. But please don't think you don't have to take the same precautions as everybody else. We're talking about some proteins that slip through your cell walls and hijack the molecular machinery to make copies of the virus. What temperature you like to show at doesn't affect that any more than it affects what gas mileage your car gets.

If this really did work, everybody would be doing it and the pandemic would be over.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-18-20, 06:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Not having covid broke your water heater?
City 'Cold' supply is 82F all summer long. Even that feels a bit chilly to step into at times, but no sense in warmer when it is so hot out. So yeah, I never turn the any hot on for a shower until it feels cool inside without A/C.
Old 09-19-20, 12:01 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 1,082 Posts
I do the opposite of the Wim Hof Method. I ride in 100+F heat wearing a surgical mask. I breathe erratically. I brood about all the world's ills. No COVID-19.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-19-20, 06:34 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
AC is for sissies.
Old 09-22-20, 06:12 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 current favorite, newest bike.

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 173 Posts
I tried the Hasselhof method, but all that did for me was get a ton of bikini hotties running toward me in slow motion with a cheesy soundtrack.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-23-20, 02:27 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 330 Posts
^^^ so when do we get the happy ending
Old 09-23-20, 09:56 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked 1,581 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn View Post
AC is for sissies.
Spend some time in S Texas then say AC is for sissies you will be first one heat cramping, crying for Gatorade and saying I donít feel so good.
Old 09-24-20, 10:35 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 12874 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Spend some time in S Texas then say AC is for sissies you will be first one heat cramping, crying for Gatorade and saying I donít feel so good.
Do you have data on that?

I always thought the shock from going into and out of the cold was hard on the body. And, if one is outside a lot, it was best to keep the home/office somewhat close to the ambient temperature.

Of course it is more temperate here, but I did spend some time in Missouri and traveling into Kansas.

I hate cold showers.
Old 09-24-20, 11:27 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I always thought the shock from going into and out of the cold was hard on the body. And, if one is outside a lot, it was best to keep the home/office somewhat close to the ambient temperature.
If it is hard on the body mine hasn't complained yet. I regularly go from 110F to 80F back and forth. I actually like it - like a cycle of sauna and cold baths.
Much of the SW is unlivable without A/C. The body needs to cool at night to prevent death.
Likewise much of the north is unlivable without HVAC or a fire.

Last edited by noisebeam; 09-24-20 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 09-24-20, 11:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 12874 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
The body needs to cool at night to prevent death.
It really depends on the temperature cycles.

In many places, it cools off significantly at night, so opening windows or tuning on a fan may be as effective as AC.

When I was in Missouri, there were only a couple of nights that it was uncomfortable at night.

I made it down to Phoenix once. I don't remember the season, but it wasn't bad. Maybe 90 or so by mid-morning. But, the forecast was for 105 in the afternoon, I think. I got done with my business as quickly as possible and was in Flagstaff by noon.

Your body can use sweat to cool. I don't believe there is an absolute need for it to be cooler during sleep than during the day, although sweaty nights can be uncomfortable. I've seen discussions of desert travel when one would find shade to sleep during the day and travel at night.
Old 09-24-20, 12:14 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I think I didn't that explain well. The body needs to cool at night when living in hot daytime conditions. Not that cool temps are needed at night, but if night temps remain very hot the body can't cool which can lead to death especially in elderly - the effect is cumulative over multiple nights/days. This is really only an issue in places where night temps stay above ~90F.

105F is not bad, probably early spring or late fall. Right now today it is 99F at 11am, should be 105F by 4pm.
Old 09-24-20, 12:25 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/full/10.1289/ehp.1103532
This study demonstrated that, in elderly individuals, exposure to a high nighttime temperature over several days increases the probability of death during a heat wave in urban conditions, whereas daytime temperature is less important (and in this study not significant). This combination of hot days and nights weakens the body, which cannot recover, and can lead to death (Besancenot 2002).
Based on other research I've read in past (I don't have references anymore) while this study is specific to elderly the effect is there for all populations who can not escape high night heat, but not as large for young and healthy.
Old 09-24-20, 06:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Do you have data on that?

Of course it is more temperate here, but I did spend some time in Missouri and traveling into Kansas.

I hate cold showers.
​​​​​​Like @noisebeam, I haven't felt like this has been stressful for my body either. It's common in winter to arrive at the Nordic area where it's 15F, ski for a few hours, and then get back into a heated car and go home.
Old 10-07-20, 03:25 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
In conclusion, this study showed that through practicing the WHM, anybody can tap into & influence their immune system by reducing pro-inflammatory cytokines and increasing white blood cell counts.

Basically, you feel less terrible when you're sick, and you get better faster.
https://icebathworkshops.com/blogs/las-vegas-wim-hof-method-workshops-blog/the-wim-hof-method-your-immune-system

The
corona virus is too new ... but overall, it won't hurt to practice this method as it has many benefits...
Old 10-07-20, 07:41 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
I heard meditation and vitamins also have many benefits.
Old 10-07-20, 08:33 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 729 Posts
I did a cold, then hot shower routine for years for health and comfort. I was a boatbuilder. Worked with fiberglass; both the raw cloth and grinding the cured fiberglass. My post-work shower routine was to step into a cold shower and rinse. Shut it off and soap up. Rinse again with cold. Then I"d turn the heat up as high as I could stand and stay n that several minutes.

The cold shower was to seal my pores so I could wash off all the glass dust and any chemicals with my pores shut. Then I went hot to open my pores and flush, sweating if I could. I doubt I sweated most of the time but my skin felt better, both in the short run and longer finishing with the hot. I still do this when I'm working with insulation or other materials or chemicals.

This might help with those pesky viruses but until I started this sentence I never thought about it.
Likes For 79pmooney: