Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Working During COVID

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Working During COVID

 
Old 10-09-20, 06:06 PM
  #1  
downtube42
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 367 Posts
Working During COVID

I appreciate many are not working wor Workinki g

....
Well crap, phone locked up and evidently this got posted. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'll leave the nonsense there for posterity.

What I was going to say was, people at work are starting to get pretty cranky. Covid stress, politics stress, pay cut stress, kids home stress, can't go anywhere stress, plus not actually interacting with each other than webex. Cracks are forming.

Last edited by downtube42; 10-11-20 at 06:12 PM.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 10-10-20, 07:12 AM
  #2  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,145
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12716 Post(s)
Liked 4,979 Times in 2,568 Posts
Wut
indyfabz is offline  
Old 10-10-20, 09:09 AM
  #3  
CycleryNorth81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 877

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
I appreciate many that ARE working providing necessary and essential services.
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 10-10-20, 10:29 AM
  #4  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,690

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9870 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,415 Posts
I am WFH.

My son is working on site... behind a mask, temp checked and in a location that is wiped down often.
genec is online now  
Old 10-10-20, 05:08 PM
  #5  
CharlesClark
Junior Member
 
CharlesClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
I appreciate many that ARE working providing necessary and essential services.
Exactly.
CharlesClark is offline  
Old 10-11-20, 06:18 AM
  #6  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,030

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 258 Posts
I've been working straight through it all.
And attending university ... virtually.
Not much changed in my life.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-11-20, 01:56 PM
  #7  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
I appreciate many are not working wor Workinki g
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Wut
Yeah, what indy said.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 10-11-20, 02:27 PM
  #8  
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 507

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 current favorite, newest bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 225 Posts
My wife and I have been working through the entire pandemic. We expected to- we both work at a hospital (which is 35 miles from home.) She takes care of patients and I do all their lab testing. Other than grocery stores being closed after we get out of work at 11pm, not much has changed for us, except wearing masks 100% of the time while at work. Hand washing, precautions, etc have all been exactly as they always were for us.

I'm not sure if that qualifies as "wor Workinki g" or not, though... so I'm hoping we're still appreciated either way.
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Old 10-11-20, 06:26 PM
  #9  
downtube42
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Wut
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Yeah, what indy said.
Funny my effed up thread starter got more responses than I usually get.

I finished the original post.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-11-20, 06:38 PM
  #10  
downtube42
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
I appreciate many that ARE working providing necessary and essential services.
My industry is considered essential, which means we were allowed to be open when others were not. My guys write embedded software, and almost all of us are WFH. The test team is at the office. Everyone, from developers to testers to HR to management, is on edge. I'm the lead, and I've been doing this for quite a while, but this situation is unprecedented. I'd like to say we're pulling together as a team, but that's not how things are going.

Last edited by downtube42; 10-11-20 at 08:25 PM.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 10-11-20, 10:54 PM
  #11  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,969
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13251 Post(s)
Liked 1,775 Times in 1,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I've been working straight through it all.
And attending university ... virtually.
Not much changed in my life.
Australia's approach to COVID is somewhat different than the USA.

Our fearless leaders seem to think 50,000 to 60,000 people infected a day is just fine. 215,000 dead is just the cost of doing business.

The number of cases Australia has had in about 10 months is equivalent to about a half a day here, and Australia has had fewer total deaths than the USA gets a day, every day.

Australia has had two major outbreaks. One in March, including a cruise ship snafu, and they beat it down by early April. The virus popped up in July/August, and they beat it down again.

Australia is down to about 20 cases a day. How many of those are travelers in quarantine?

Oh, and what is this COVIDSAFE phone app? Why hasn't the USA thought of doing something like that? I suppose only having 215,000 dead doesn't rank as a serious crisis yet.

Of course, it also depends on where in Australia you live, with some communities being hit harder than others.

Anyway, all this leaves the impact on the workforce much more serious here in the USA than in Australia.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-11-20, 11:45 PM
  #12  
BHG6
Senior Member
 
BHG6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 90

Bikes: BH G6, BMC Race Machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 31 Posts
Took one day off for a sore throat but otherwise, Iíve been working the entire time.

Iíve been really fortunate throughout this whole thing with the only real exception being that every -(:&@;( appliance in my house decided to explode this summer....water heater, water softener, air conditioner, dish washer, salt cell for the pool, pump controller for the pool.... all took a powder between March and today lol
BHG6 is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 06:17 AM
  #13  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,030

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Australia's approach to COVID is somewhat different than the USA.

Our fearless leaders seem to think 50,000 to 60,000 people infected a day is just fine. 215,000 dead is just the cost of doing business.

The number of cases Australia has had in about 10 months is equivalent to about a half a day here, and Australia has had fewer total deaths than the USA gets a day, every day.

Australia has had two major outbreaks. One in March, including a cruise ship snafu, and they beat it down by early April. The virus popped up in July/August, and they beat it down again.

Australia is down to about 20 cases a day. How many of those are travelers in quarantine?

Oh, and what is this COVIDSAFE phone app? Why hasn't the USA thought of doing something like that? I suppose only having 215,000 dead doesn't rank as a serious crisis yet.

Of course, it also depends on where in Australia you live, with some communities being hit harder than others.

Anyway, all this leaves the impact on the workforce much more serious here in the USA than in Australia.
Australia went into strict lockdown for about 2 months - April & May. For a while there, we were restricted to a 30 km radius of where we lived. Then some states started opening. Tasmania didn't start easing restrictions till the end of June. Then both Rowan and I had surgeries. So I started working from home at the end of March and continued to the end of July - 4 months. And of course, uni went online in March and continued through both semesters. Rowan and I spent weeks in that time in almost entire isolation and that was fantastic! I'd be happy with a year of that!!

Unfortunately, Victoria (not the whole of Australia, despite what some news sources tried to imply) had a big outbreak in July/August. Those 20 cases a day are mostly in Victoria and they are real cases, not just travellers in quarantine because we've hardly got any travellers here. All other states and territories closed their borders to Victoria although they've opened to other states/territories at times. That's a little confusing - I couldn't tell you right now who is open to whom without looking it up. They seem to open, get mad at each other, and close again.

Tasmania's borders remained closed. We have not been able to leave our island in 8 months. Rumour has it we'll open borders at the end of the month to a few states, and we probably will, but the moment we have a case, the borders will likely close again. Tasmania hasn't had a case in a long time but meanwhile they have done 108,998 tests out of 539,590 people. (Rowan and I have been tested).

As for the phone app, as far as I know only a relatively small percentage of people signed up for it and it hasn't been that useful. Either that or there haven't really been enough cases to track.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 10:07 AM
  #14  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,969
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13251 Post(s)
Liked 1,775 Times in 1,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Tasmania's borders remained closed. We have not been able to leave our island in 8 months. Rumour has it we'll open borders at the end of the month to a few states, and we probably will, but the moment we have a case, the borders will likely close again. Tasmania hasn't had a case in a long time but meanwhile they have done 108,998 tests out of 539,590 people. (Rowan and I have been tested).

As for the phone app, as far as I know only a relatively small percentage of people signed up for it and it hasn't been that useful. Either that or there haven't really been enough cases to track.
Thanks for the update. I had forgotten Tasmania. That is mighty close to where the outbreaks had been, but a little water helps.

That is one thing the USA has never done is isolate states and cities with major outbreaks (or the opposite, isolating those without outbreaks).

For quite some time this summer, my local community had essentially zero local spread of the disease, but we were getting a few cases a day related to travel.

Then the University partly reopened, presumably bringing in students from all over the country, and perhaps all over the world. And, suddenly we've been getting about 50 new cases a day (maybe about 1/4 directly connected to the university).

They apparently got the cases down for on-campus housing (not noting the distinction on whether that is just dorms, or is including sororities and fraternities). But, getting pounded with cases in off-campus housing.



And it is now spreading into Staff members.

And, this may be one of the smaller university outbreaks across the country.

Sitting here in relatively low risk, I'm mighty disappointed with the direction our local community took, as well as the rest of the country.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-12-20, 01:05 PM
  #15  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post

What I was going to say was, people at work are starting to get pretty cranky. Covid stress, politics stress, pay cut stress, kids home stress, can't go anywhere stress, plus not actually interacting with each other than webex. Cracks are forming.
I fix machines for a lot of different businesses. Government or commercial, but always business to business as we're not in retail. I wear a mask, get my temp checked, and sign some sort of questionnaire or waiver when entering businesses. Some businesses will isolate the area I work in, while others do not.

Since maybe mid-March 2020 my service billings have been about 50% of normal except for one month that hit maybe 80% of normal. I have had no sales in all of this time, of which I get commission to add to my service salary. So far, having zero commissions has been my paycut, while the threat of the salary being cut is still looming since business is not improving.

The weird part about my work is that the service calls from my regular customer base have dropped to maybe 25% of normal, but I've been getting by with a boost of service calls from new to me customers or customers I haven't heard from in over a decade. It's almost as if those new and old customers have no other service company to call on at this moment in time.

Speaking of my customers, the employees working for the government in one form or another are doing much, much better than the employees in commercial businesses. The gov't workers I know are getting full pay at half the normal work hours, while the commercial workers have had their hours and pay cut, or have been laid off.

From what I've witnessed, the crack that has formed here is that the gov't workers here seem to worry the most about getting Covid, while the commercial workers here seem to worry the most about paying rent/mortgage, or other bills.

Last edited by FiftySix; 10-12-20 at 01:23 PM. Reason: phone calls
FiftySix is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 01:09 PM
  #16  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 39,872

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2537 Post(s)
Liked 1,781 Times in 880 Posts
I was deemed essential during the initial stay at home order. For a couple months I was one of a few that continued to go into the office. Now that things have opened up a bit, I'm finding the ability to work from home a little more. Which has its pros and cons.
caloso is offline  
Old 10-13-20, 02:46 AM
  #17  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,030

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Thanks for the update. I had forgotten Tasmania. That is mighty close to where the outbreaks had been, but a little water helps.
500 km of water.



Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
That is one thing the USA has never done is isolate states and cities with major outbreaks (or the opposite, isolating those without outbreaks).

For quite some time this summer, my local community had essentially zero local spread of the disease, but we were getting a few cases a day related to travel.
https://covid19inlanguage.homeaffair...sas-and-border

Travel restrictions

A travel ban is in place that prevents all non-Australian citizens and non-residents from entering Australia.

People exempt from the travel ban include immediate family members of Australian citizens and permanent residents including spouses, minor dependents, legal guardians and de facto partners. After arriving in Australia, all travellers are required to complete 14 days quarantine.


Australia and also Tasmania pulled up our drawbridges!!
Machka is offline  
Old 10-13-20, 03:02 AM
  #18  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,969
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13251 Post(s)
Liked 1,775 Times in 1,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
500 km of water.
People exempt from the travel ban include immediate family members of Australian citizens and permanent residents including spouses, minor dependents, legal guardians and de facto partners. After arriving in Australia, all travellers are required to complete 14 days quarantine.


Australia and also Tasmania pulled up our drawbridges!!
I think that is the same thing I was hearing about New Zealand. They had quite a few New Zealand citizens who were returning to the country with the infection. Mostly caught with the quarantine, although on at least one occasion, the virus jumped quarantine (or someone infected jumped quarantine).

I foresee a rough winter coming. I just hope the vaccine is made available soon, and is reasonably effective.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-13-20, 03:59 AM
  #19  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,030

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 258 Posts


From the Tasmania Government.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-13-20, 04:01 AM
  #20  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,030

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I think that is the same thing I was hearing about New Zealand. They had quite a few New Zealand citizens who were returning to the country with the infection. Mostly caught with the quarantine, although on at least one occasion, the virus jumped quarantine (or someone infected jumped quarantine).

I foresee a rough winter coming. I just hope the vaccine is made available soon, and is reasonably effective.
There was a bit of that in Australia too, at first. Less so now.

I don't expect there will be a vaccine for at least another 6 months, but who knows. I put the duration of this virus at about 2 years, with a bit of lead up and cool down as well.
Machka is offline  
Old 10-16-20, 05:37 AM
  #21  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,145
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12716 Post(s)
Liked 4,979 Times in 2,568 Posts
I worked from home for a while. Didnít like it. So glad to be back in one of my offices. Iím usually the only one there. Maybe one day a week one other person comes in. My cat misses me working from home.
indyfabz is offline  
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.