COVID in Sweden, Europe, and Elsewhere

Old 10-12-20, 11:03 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
COVID in Sweden, Europe, and Elsewhere

Some interesting information on COVID 19, what has been going in Sweden, and other countries. I like how the information is laid out, and how long term perspectives are used to help get a grasp of the COVID situation, and the effects of policies and the lack thereof.

Old 10-13-20, 12:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 1,082 Posts
As with most coronavirus pandemic skeptics who put a thin sheen of credibility over their biases, Ivor Cummings massages, tweaks, manipulates and ignores facts to suit his agenda. Short version: Let the old and sick people die so we can get back to our normal lives.

Which surprises me because he should be profiting off his "wellness" business, which at least seems somewhat more credible than David "Avocado" Wolfe and that "health ranger" guy, Mike Adams.

Counter-arguments to Ivor Cummings' speculation by Jeffrey S. Morris, a statistical data scientist, professor and Director of Biostatistics at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.

In spite of my agreement with some of these points that I think are under appreciated by many and underreported in the media, I see a number of speculative arguments he makes without support, untested assumptions, and cherry picking science and representing himself like "he knows the real science" and studies he doesn't mention are somehow more flawed than the ones he chooses to focus on. I will give examples below. But first I will mention the key feature of his argument -- He ONLY looks at deaths, not cases, testing, hospitalizations, long term side effects from infection, with a few cherry picked exceptions to support specific points. --Jeffrey S. Morris
If it's a hoax or exaggerated, as Cummings implies in his immediately biased commentary, at this point how credible does he seem when nearly every civilized nation has agreed upon the severity of this pandemic and generally agree that it's not over and we should still be cautious? What purpose would be served by other nations continuing to sacrifice their immediate economic interests for the long term interests of their people? All they all in cahoots to undermine America? If so, they're wasting their time. We're doing that just fine on our own.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-14-20, 04:58 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 262 Posts
Oh yeah, and Tegnell was busted in some emails discussing progress towards herd immunity.... https://emanuelkarlsten.se/tegnell-m...somyndigheten/
Old 10-14-20, 05:13 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 108 Posts
Interesting news. Europe is facing a second wave, but not Sweden and now WHO wants to avoid punishing lockdowns during a pandemic.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7388852/...-official-says

Old 10-14-20, 10:01 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts

'We've got someone who was educated in America': New Zealand's Deputy PM brutally ridicules Covid-19 denier then tells him - 'Sorry sunshine, wrong place'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...19-denier.html
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 10-20-20, 03:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 13151 Post(s)
Liked 4,483 Times in 2,514 Posts
This is actually true. Coronavirus is a hoax, like the moon landing. And dying is the only bad thing that can happen to anybody, so if nobody you know is dead, why are we so worried? Let's leave the barn doors open and count on the horses not to leave.
Old 10-20-20, 03:26 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 387 Posts
Deleted a couple posts.
Let’s keep political comments out of this thread please. If you want to talk about politics, that’s what P&R is for
Old 10-21-20, 06:06 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 108 Posts
This is a major problem with covid, people just can't keep their hands off one another. People just are not good at social distancing, except those of us that hate people This thing is exacerbated here in the US, because Trump has been the driving force in politicizing masks.

It's so bad that people now put masks as a higher priority over social distancing. Everybody now wears a mask, albeit incorrectly in many instances, but they seem to think it's just fine to forego social distancing, because they got their mask on. If you observe, there are so many times where people are well within the six ft distance, but hey, they're wearing their mask

It's true, most people are idiots.

Last edited by work4bike; 10-21-20 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-29-20, 03:49 PM
CycleryNorth81

Chasing herd immunity is both 'futile and immoral', Sweden's state epidemiologist warns despite his country’s no-lockdown policy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-immoral.html
Old 10-30-20, 02:24 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

Chasing herd immunity is both 'futile and immoral', Sweden's state epidemiologist warns despite his country’s no-lockdown policy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-immoral.html
Wonder if the "Swedish Model" aficionados are still thinking it's good way to go??? It's currently 512 times worse than Australia... 2820 daily, from 10.5 million population, Australia 13 daily from 25 million. Pretty well on track to eliminate the virus soon.
Old 11-01-20, 08:43 PM
CycleryNorth81

The virus does not discriminate.

New report reveals Prince William had coronavirus in April, ‘struggled to breathe’

https://pagesix.com/2020/11/01/princ...ed-to-breathe/
Old 11-13-20, 10:12 PM
CycleryNorth81

Sweden has admitted its coronavirus immunity predictions were wrong as cases soar across the country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-ad...140034959.html
Old 11-15-20, 02:34 AM
Trevtassie

If I were a Swede I'd be suing Tegnell as hard as I could, for being an arrogant knob end. How he still has his job I have no idea....