Holidays And Covid

Old 10-19-20, 03:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13047 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​I can't really disagree with anything in this post, but I'd like to say that even if it isn't critical to get a flu shot, you still should. Especially this year; the flu is pretty miserable too and if you get it you're going to worry you might have covid.
Yes.

I anticipate that as long as COVID distancing and masks are in place, we'll have an exceptionally mild flu season this year.

I'm helping my mother with my nephew for a few weeks, and am limiting contacts during that period. Then off to get the flu shot after he is gone.
Old 10-19-20, 05:33 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 387 Posts
my MD friends HIGHLY recommend Flu shots because of the confusion of symptoms and the potential that a bad bout of the flu can weaken one's system and with COVID out there ...
Old 10-21-20, 09:54 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 View Post
@Riveting.......
Covid deaths are nearly 25 percent higher than the number you posted, and that’s with 8 million infected vs. the 45 million infected for the 17/18 flu season.
True, I was using the numbers in the source I quoted, which were several months old. But the basis of my post wasn't about exact numbers per se, it was about how the US had a vast number of deaths for the flu that season (60,000 deaths according to the source), yet nobody wore a mask, and we gave away Halloween candy, and went to close-quarters sporting events like nothing was wrong. Why was that? I'm not for, nor against those actions in 2018, I just want to hear someone's opinion on why we care about 200,000 infectious deaths in 2020, yet didn't seem to care about 60,000 infectious deaths in 2018. 5 years in the future, when a new infectious virus pops up, how many deaths need to occur before we put our masks back on? Where is the line? It's clearly somewhere above 60,000 deaths, and below 200,000? Is it simply the "unknown" of a new virus that causes the mask wearing?
Old 10-22-20, 01:15 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 View Post
“I’m not worried about getting anything”.
still not worried enjoy your lonely holidays , maybe the rioters i mean protester will come light your house on fire to keep you warm LOLOL!!!
Old 10-22-20, 03:49 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas View Post
still not worried enjoy your lonely holidays , maybe the rioters i mean protester will come light your house on fire to keep you warm LOLOL!!!
When given the chance most people end up showing you who they really are.
Likes For Pemetic2006:
Old 10-29-20, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,210 Times in 1,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
True, I was using the numbers in the source I quoted, which were several months old. But the basis of my post wasn't about exact numbers per se, it was about how the US had a vast number of deaths for the flu that season (60,000 deaths according to the source), yet nobody wore a mask, and we gave away Halloween candy, and went to close-quarters sporting events like nothing was wrong. Why was that? I'm not for, nor against those actions in 2018, I just want to hear someone's opinion on why we care about 200,000 infectious deaths in 2020, yet didn't seem to care about 60,000 infectious deaths in 2018. 5 years in the future, when a new infectious virus pops up, how many deaths need to occur before we put our masks back on? Where is the line? It's clearly somewhere above 60,000 deaths, and below 200,000? Is it simply the "unknown" of a new virus that causes the mask wearing?
Your logic is a bit off here. If we knew this was going to top out at some number of deaths close to where we are now, the mask wearing would end tomorrow. We're at 225,000 deaths in a matter of about 7 months, and we could easily double that in the next few months if we relax standards now. It's also the fact that so many people get very ill with this that it can very quickly overwhelm the medical system and increase deaths from all causes. We haven't had a flu like that for about 100 years.

Try as people do to liken this to prior epidemics in the U.S., almost no one alive in the U.S. is old enough to have experienced anything quite like this. The closest thing in anyone's living memory was probably the polio epidemics, and that was a damn long time ago.
Old 10-29-20, 02:48 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,210 Times in 1,825 Posts
the cdc says covid cannot be isolated , measured or identified so im not worried about getting anything , maybe the flu or stomach virus , its not a big deal !
Garbage in, garbage out.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 05:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3160 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
We are on the edge of the holiday season. Just wondering if people's plans to celebrate have changed due to Covid.

Halloween - In the past we have had guest come over, hang out and hand out candy. I will not be handing out candy this year though, so no guest coming over.

Thanksgiving - We probably will host a small family dinner. The family that is coming has been isolating as much as we do. However, there are some family members who already stated they will not come due to Covid concerns.

Christmas - Not sure yet. We have done several events like dinners and brunches, but I think if anything happens it will be the same small family group and only one event.

Of course, this might all change if we are peaking again.
Halloween - we don't celebrate it in Australia
Thanksgiving - we don't celebrate it in Australia
Christmas - middle of summer. We celebrate by cycling, strolling at a beach, maybe doing a bit of a hike. If we can travel, we'll go somewhere within our state. If we can't travel far, we'll do something local.

No worries.
Old 10-31-20, 05:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
61,000 people (US only) died in 2018 from the flu (and we HAD a vaccine), as compared to 180,000 people, so far, dying from COVID-19 in 2020, an increase yes, but not a very big increase considering there's 330,000,000 people in the US. How concerned were we when handing out candy, or attending Xmas parties in 2018? If you were like me, I'm guessing not at all. Based on that, it seems that we're all OK with 60,000 infectious disease deaths to the point where we don't protect ourselves at all, yet add just another 60,000 - 120,000 to that total and we go into total PPE and quarantine/lockdown. Where do we draw the line when it comes to concern? I currently wear my mask 95% of the time I'm interacting with people that are less than 6 feet from me, because I don't want to get it, or spread it to others. Why DIDN'T I do this during the flu season of 2018, especially considering that 9x the amount of people had the flu, as compared to COVID-19? I don't have an answer for that.

Source: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/flu-vs-c...rates-by-year/
Get your numbers right.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Total US Deaths: 235,182.

Assuming your flu deaths number is correct, COVID-19 has taken out nearly 4 times that number.
Old 10-31-20, 02:44 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I made a "no candy" sign for Halloween to hang on the door. I will be interested to see if any trick or treaters are out tonight.

Thanksgiving has been torpedoed. More family members are pulling out. It looks like it will just be our nuclear family. At least that makes it less complicated.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 10-31-20, 11:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,083 Posts
I jam this and trick or treaters run away.
Old 11-01-20, 08:42 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I live in a hood where Halloween is a big deal. We get literally thousands of people from all over, and typically, we hand out 1000 pieces of candy (and that is one per person).

I dunno what is going on this year, but for sure, if I hand out anything, it will be by different means.

I'm thinking perhaps a 40 foot length of PVC pipe, going from our upstairs window down to a bucket at street level. Then again, I'm also thinking the best thing is to avoid it altogether, as people really shouldn't be out there anyway.
Well ... in a hood where we regularly get 1500 trick or treaters, there were none last night. Such a bummer for the kids. 🙁

Old 11-01-20, 03:14 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Looks like our neighborhood did an organized trick or treat. People who were participating had their address posted. They setup a table in front of their house with prepackaged candy and no contact. However, I only saw about 5 groups of kids out the whole night.
Old 11-06-20, 08:09 PM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 227 Posts
the cdc says covid cannot be isolated , measured or identified so im not worried about getting anything , maybe the flu or stomach virus , its not a big deal !
The relatives of 220,000 might disagree. Just a hunch, I could be wrong.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

Old 11-06-20, 08:10 PM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
Looks like our neighborhood did an organized trick or treat. People who were participating had their address posted. They setup a table in front of their house with prepackaged candy and no contact. However, I only saw about 5 groups of kids out the whole night.

we did did the same. The kids liked it and their parents were appreciative.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

Old 11-12-20, 11:02 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Get your numbers right.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Total US Deaths: 235,182.

Assuming your flu deaths number is correct, COVID-19 has taken out nearly 4 times that number.
The problem with Flu/COVID comparisons is that we have a flu vaccine for the vulnerable.

And, with some mighty strict controls, we've limited the cases in the USA to somewhere between 10 million and 30 million. It is mighty disappointing that so many were infected. But, without the masks and controls, we could easily have 10x as many cases, and 10x as many deaths. So, no longer at 242,000 dead, but up to 2.4 million dead.

And, our hospitals are already suffering under the strain of COVID patients. We have a couple of communities currently using temporary hospital structures and are stressed to the max.

Let, say 200 million cases hit all at once, and the entire US health care system would collapse. The "Trumps" of the nation will get in to get their luxury care, and the rest will be sent home to live or die by the flip of a coin.
Old 11-12-20, 11:11 AM
CliffordK

Back to the holidays.

There are some indications that our recent spike in COVID cases hitting the nation is in part due to Halloween.

The Ghouls have taken about 20,050 to grave yesterday, about twice the number we had a couple of weeks ago, and the highest since the first week in May. Time will tell if it is just an aberrant spike, or part of a longer trend. But coupled with a slow upward trend in cases and deaths, it appears likely to be real.

This could be a bad sign for Thanksgiving and Christmas that are just around the corner.

One fear I have is that Universities will push a lot of students out into the communities for the holidays, then back on campus.
Old 11-13-20, 05:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Back to the holidays.

There are some indications that our recent spike in COVID cases hitting the nation is in part due to Halloween.

The Ghouls have taken about 20,050 to grave yesterday, about twice the number we had a couple of weeks ago, and the highest since the first week in May. Time will tell if it is just an aberrant spike, or part of a longer trend. But coupled with a slow upward trend in cases and deaths, it appears likely to be real.

This could be a bad sign for Thanksgiving and Christmas that are just around the corner.

One fear I have is that Universities will push a lot of students out into the communities for the holidays, then back on campus.
I just finished 6 years at university getting my Master's degree. I was going part time and working full time.

I was sick a lot during those 6 years, except for 2018. In 2018 the flu wasn't as serious as most years but I spent much of 2018 sitting in the hospital or staying home. I rarely actually attended university, but did a lot of my work online.

My classes had about 500 students in them. Roughly 499 of those students were from Asia (India, China, and a few other Asian countries). 1 of those students was an older Canadian-Australian woman. The students would arrive from overseas in February (late summer), and I'd usually go through a mild cold or something a couple weeks later. They'd go home at autumn break (around Easter) and I'd be sick a couple weeks later. They'd go home for winter break (June-July) and back for semester 2. I'd be sick with a major flu in August. They'd go home for spring break, and I'd go through a second flu in late September.

I even came down with measles in August 2016!

Thank goodness I am finished university!! I have a faint hope of being healthy!

The point being ... yep, the uni students will pass around C19 and everything else imaginable.
Old 11-13-20, 12:00 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I just finished 6 years at university getting my Master's degree. I was going part time and working full time.

I was sick a lot during those 6 years, except for 2018. In 2018 the flu wasn't as serious as most years but I spent much of 2018 sitting in the hospital or staying home. I rarely actually attended university, but did a lot of my work online.

My classes had about 500 students in them. Roughly 499 of those students were from Asia (India, China, and a few other Asian countries). 1 of those students was an older Canadian-Australian woman. The students would arrive from overseas in February (late summer), and I'd usually go through a mild cold or something a couple weeks later. They'd go home at autumn break (around Easter) and I'd be sick a couple weeks later. They'd go home for winter break (June-July) and back for semester 2. I'd be sick with a major flu in August. They'd go home for spring break, and I'd go through a second flu in late September.

I even came down with measles in August 2016!

Thank goodness I am finished university!! I have a faint hope of being healthy!

The point being ... yep, the uni students will pass around C19 and everything else imaginable.
Apparently Australia is not allowing foreign students to re-enter Australia, prioritizing Australians for quarantine facilities.

Our local university has worked hard to get the COVID numbers down, after a peak at the beginning of the term.

In the past, the university had a policy to empty out the dorms for Christmas and only allow foreign students to live in the dorms over the Christmas holidays

Although the local numbers of cases have been up lately, it hasn't been as bad as some parts of the state, or the rest of the nation.

Hopefully they will either reverse the policy, or require students to be quarantined for half their vacation.
Old 11-13-20, 03:01 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 125 Posts
Yes, I'm not going anywhere, nor am I having family come down to Florida. I think it's funny how we're hearing all over the news how all family members need to wear masks when visiting family and friends for the holidays. First off, a mask is NOT a substitute for social distancing. People just can't seem to get that in their heads People are not going to practice social distancing while visiting family and friends. It ain't going to happen.

Secondly, the few people that will wear the mask, again it's not a substitute, but also and this is really funny. You can't wear the mask while eating.

Picture it, people wearing masks all day and then sit down to a family dinner and take their masks off

People want the govt to shutdown everything, but they will travel to visit family and friends thinking they won't spread the virus. Silly people. People think they're safe because they've been tested. But it only takes a second to become infected after leaving the testing facility.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 11-13-20, 03:16 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Garbage in, garbage out.
I've seen the same garbage quoted elsewhere. Source must be some sort of alt-fact alt-right website.

People who spread this kind of demonstrably false and potentially lethal disinformation should be held to account.
Old 11-13-20, 06:03 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
Do you still want to get together for the holidays?

'We blew it': U.S. reaches 'explosive' COVID-19 spread as virus is nearly impossible to control, experts say

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/we-b...210948870.html
Old 11-13-20, 09:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,083 Posts
Many long solo bike rides from my house I see as this virus goes crazy. Keeping my sanity intact.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 11-13-20, 10:04 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Do you still want to get together for the holidays?

'We blew it': U.S. reaches 'explosive' COVID-19 spread as virus is nearly impossible to control, experts say

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/we-b...210948870.html

People plan to attend large holiday gatherings, despite rising COVID-19 cases, survey finds

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peop...202344244.html
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 11-13-20, 10:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 278 Posts
We're keeping an eye on the situation. For halloween we did a trunk or treat at the church, very small for just church members and a friend per kid, with open air movie hot drinks. Thanksgiving is usually with my family but their area of upstate NY has gone to yellow meaning above 5%. Since my wife and I are both pastors with mixed congregations we won't travel if it gets worse there. I'd miss dinner with my parents but will be really glad to not see my sister or BIL. He was always a gun totting redneck with white supremacist tendencies, and she's just become weirdly conspiratorial conservative and I can't stand talking with either. Basically they've become every reason I moved from the area and swore I'd never live there again, so missing them would be a bit of a blessing in an otherwise crap situation. Unfortunately usually whichever of Christmas or Thanksgiving we spend with my parents we spend the other with the in-laws and that won't happen this year. They're in a not so good area of Florida covid-wise so they can't come here and we can't afford to quarantine for 2 weeks after if we go there. I really like the in-laws and this year we would have gone to see them so even better with bike riding, swimming with manatees, and visiting different historical sites. Both the inlaws are really great, SIL is a sweet person, her husband is a little standoffish but still a decent, stand up guy you can have a real conversation with. So really going to miss that though I'd rather not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.