Liked 1,686 Times in 1,069 Posts
I’m glad a hate holidays.
Old 11-18-20, 02:24 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 177 Posts
We are on the edge of the holiday season. Just wondering if people's plans to celebrate have changed due to Covid.
Sure. It's all out the window, this year, due to the ease of transmission of this virus.

Getting the extended family together would mean gathering people to (or from) U.S. states with quarantine edicts (and in some cases, forcible quarantines, with jail time if ignoring or "abusing").

Have several older members of the family with conditions that won't play nicely with this virus if it gets caught. So, this year, travel's not happening.
Old 11-18-20, 09:35 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts

As pandemic surges, Trump White House calls Thanksgiving restrictions 'Orwellian'

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/pandemic-s...233900151.html
Old 11-20-20, 01:21 AM
CycleryNorth81

Don't rely on a negative test result to see your family for Thanksgiving

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/healt...=pocket-newtab
Old 11-20-20, 05:11 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 193 Posts
My wife and I have very little family left, and what there is, is 600 miles away. During the holidays we would usually spend time with many of our neighborhood friends. That is out this year. We have taken Covid seriously since we first knew of it. We always wear a mask when out-I hate masks, but would hate getting sick and being hospitalized much worse! A mask is a minor inconvenience. We even go so far as to wear latex gloves when out. Might not be necessary, but who can say for certain-there's been so much said, retracted, then reiterated. If they don't help-they sure won't hurt anything. Irks me when I see some ignoring all mandates, not being careful. If they don't care about their own life, at least be considerate of those around them. Probably "speaking to the choir" here, but seems more cooperation is needed to defeat Covid! I'm sure we're all aware of how "multi-level marketing" or "pyramid schemes" work, I think of Covid in the same way, maybe if it was explained to some in those terms, the ones who don't seem to get it, might figure it out. Hope all stay healthy, and enjoy the holidays as best you can.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 11-21-20, 05:32 PM
CycleryNorth81

The great COVID getaway: Millions of Americans carry on with their holiday plans ahead of Thanksgiving despite CDC advice to stay home as daily virus cases hit a record 193k and hospitalizations reach 82k

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stay-home.html
Old 11-21-20, 07:07 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Here in Japan positive tests are increasing as the weather cools down, but there is no increase in ICU usage or fatalities. COVID is not among the top 10 causes death in Japan (this is true of most countries), and 2020 has seen fewer deaths of all causes in Japan than other recent years. This being the case, the government is not enacting any restrictions.

We will celebrate Thanksgiving this year as usual, we will have two other families joining us, and are looking forward to having a good time. Things in Japan are pretty much normal now, there have never been any lockdowns, and people are free to do what they want, when they want.
Likes For Sangetsu:
Old 11-21-20, 07:48 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Here in Japan positive tests are increasing as the weather cools down, but there is no increase in ICU usage or fatalities. COVID is not among the top 10 causes death in Japan (this is true of most countries), and 2020 has seen fewer deaths of all causes in Japan than other recent years. This being the case, the government is not enacting any restrictions.

We will celebrate Thanksgiving this year as usual, we will have two other families joining us, and are looking forward to having a good time. Things in Japan are pretty much normal now, there have never been any lockdowns, and people are free to do what they want, when they want.
This is one of the pandemic's great mysteries. Why has the disease failed to take off in Japan, among other places?
Old 11-30-20, 01:32 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
Thanksgiving was pretty quiet. Spent it with my wife and daughter. This is the smallest gathering since I was growing up.

Meanwhile, a local bar that has already been previously shutdown with a Covid outbreak last month, decided to have a Thanksgiving party with smoked turkey. There is just no way this can be brought under control with people like this.
Old 11-30-20, 03:28 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
This is one of the pandemic's great mysteries. Why has the disease failed to take off in Japan, among other places?
It hasn't.....https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ency-possible/ it's just the Japanese are smart enough to take matters into their own hands when their government fails to act and thus do their own lockdowns, enough to stop exponential growth commencing. Elderly Care Homes have restricted visitors of their own accord and people wear masks out of respect for each other. Most likely because they don't have the Murdoch press (aka Fox News) spreading disinformation. It's not magic, social distancing, masks, quarantining sick people work.
Personally I'd rather be right here in Australia than Japan. Zero lockdowns, zero cases in my state, everything open. Can measure the daily national new local cases on one hand ATM.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-30-20, 03:45 PM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
It hasn't.....https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ency-possible/ it's just the Japanese are smart enough to take matters into their own hands when their government fails to act and thus do their own lockdowns, enough to stop exponential growth commencing. Elderly Care Homes have restricted visitors of their own accord and people wear masks out of respect for each other. Most likely because they don't have the Murdoch press (aka Fox News) spreading disinformation. It's not magic, social distancing, masks, quarantining sick people work.
Personally I'd rather be right here in Australia than Japan. Zero lockdowns, zero cases in my state, everything open. Can measure the daily national new local cases on one hand ATM.
I don't watch Fox news . But they claim only 1% of the people watch Fox news.The numbers might be a little higher in 2020 but even if Tucker gets 5 million viewers a night that is nothing in a country with a population of over 320 million.

Fox News primetime viewers amount to less than 1% of the population.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/how-many-people-actually-watch-fox-news-in-america.html/
Old 12-01-20, 01:13 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I don't watch Fox news . But they claim only 1% of the people watch Fox news.The numbers might be a little higher in 2020 but even if Tucker gets 5 million viewers a night that is nothing in a country with a population of over 320 million.

Fox News primetime viewers amount to less than 1% of the population.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/how-many-people-actually-watch-fox-news-in-america.html/
Until recently your President was amplifying their reach enormously with his tweeting. Until Rupert decided that even he couldn't deal with Trumps stupidity and turned on him. Rupert also owns the Wall St Journal and the New York Post.
Biggest problem is not the raw viewer numbers, but the fact they are highly motivated viewers, they will actually get out in the street with signs and stuff. The noisy minority if you like. Then there is the drag effect. When there is one media outlet going to an extreme, eventually it tends to drag the public discourse towards that extreme. In the interest of "balance" arguments that previously would have been viewed as extreme are suddenly part of normal discourse. That's much more Rupert's MO.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 12-03-20, 02:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13021 Post(s)
Liked 1,722 Times in 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post

Posted on 11/21.
But, by that week there were already signs of an increasing number of deaths.

Deaths, of course, are a lagging indicator as individuals develop the disease, are hospitalized,and then pass, often a couple, or several weeks later.

Japan is now showing the highest number of daily deaths since the beginning of the pandemic. But at 52/53 deaths a day, and 2,500 cases a day, with a population of 126.5 million, the country is far behind the USA.

You've already mentioned possible testing and reporting differences. According to the color coding of a couple charts on this page, Japan's positive test rate is somewhere around 5% to 10%. That would indicate an active outbreak now, but not completely ignoring the testing.
Old 12-03-20, 03:11 PM
CliffordK

For Thanksgiving, Mom wanted me to come over for dinner.

While we both do have slightly different circles of interactions, we are both socially distanced, and pretty religious about wearing masks.

Interactions around the house we wore masks. We did eat dinner, and sat at opposite corners of the table.

My brother works in retail, and while Mom likes to visit with him, and his family, he did not come this year.

I'm not sure what the plan is for Christmas. Some will depend on whether Mom manages to get a vaccination before Christmas, or perhaps New Years. I'll be quite a bit down on the vaccine list, and don't relish the idea of getting the disease myself.
Old 12-04-20, 05:36 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
I wonder how many politicians in Washington will be going home for the holidays...they don't have too good of a record thus far for following social distancing guidelines.
Old 12-04-20, 07:51 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
We're definitely seeing exponential growth in number of cases, hospitalizations and now deaths.
At this point, everyone should consider everyone as being a possible carrier, including themselves.

Stay home for Christmas. It's the best gift you can give your loved ones.

The way this is likely to time out, we'll see the spike in deaths caused by Thanksgiving gatherings hitting just about December 25.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-04-20, 09:45 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I wonder how many politicians in Washington will be going home for the holidays...they don't have too good of a record thus far for following social distancing guidelines.

Well, the current occupants of one DC venue are not satisfied with having been the hosts of two superspreader events so far:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ealth-n1249716

I just hope no one is stupid enough to use this as an excuse to risk the health of themselves and their loved ones.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-04-20, 03:40 PM
Trevtassie

https://priceandsons.funeraltechweb..../obituary.html
Old 12-04-20, 08:38 PM
CliffordK

Well, I thought our state was looking like we had gotten past the third COVID peak. We'd been averaging around 1,500 new cases a day.

Then I got the fateful e-mail today.

2,176 new cases, 30 dead. I.E. About a 33% increase in new cases, as well as about a 50% increase in deaths. Occasionally one will see false peaks on the Johns Hopkins website if data isn't uploaded in a timely fashion, but this appears to be a real increase.

And, unfortunately, it could just be the beginning of a new spike in cases.

Usually numbers drop a little on the weekends, so it will be Tuesday/Wednesday of next week before we see the real damage.

Over the last few months, COVID cases seem to have been going up in a stepwise fashion. A bit of a reprieve from one thing or another, then another increase, each time never quite going back to the previous baseline.

I'm not looking forward to a Pandemic during Christmas.
Old 12-25-20, 05:53 AM
lenakuka
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that the lockdown was a good way to deal with the first wave to find solutions, but now the situation is repeating itself, and there are no new tools to solve this problem. This is bad and this is a real omission.
Old 12-25-20, 09:11 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by lenakuka View Post
I think that the lockdown was a good way to deal with the first wave to find solutions, but now the situation is repeating itself, and there are no new tools to solve this problem. This is bad and this is a real omission.
Nothing wrong with that point of view, but you need to propose an alternative to lockdown that is equally effective.
Old 12-25-20, 09:58 AM
bikecrate

Merry Christmas! Definitely a different feeling this year. Normally, we would have gone to a family get together last night and hosted an event today, but they have been cancelled. My daughter will come over for dinner tonight and we will open the presents. It's weird not having to run around and prepare for a houseful of guest.
Old 12-26-20, 04:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9664 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,318 Posts
Relatives on the wife's side of the family visited two other more distant (to me) relatives over Thanksgiving... now all three family groups have COVID.

Some mild... a couple days of fever and aches... one severe case... in young woman in otherwise good health.

But the real irony... they just "don't see the connection."

"But not everyone got it..." "must be something else."

BTW, tests were taken... they were positive.
Old 01-04-21, 01:38 PM
bikecrate

The last of the major holidays, New Year's, is behind us. Not my favorite holiday anyways. I usually hide in my house from the drunk drivers. I did visit my neighbors and sit around a fire for a short while. Social distancing was observed. I then went back home and watched some world wide celebrations of YouTube. Sydney, Australia and London were impressive. New York looked a bit sad without the crowds.