Holidays And Covid

Old 10-16-20, 10:07 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 103 Posts
Holidays And Covid

We are on the edge of the holiday season. Just wondering if people's plans to celebrate have changed due to Covid.

Halloween - In the past we have had guest come over, hang out and hand out candy. I will not be handing out candy this year though, so no guest coming over.

Thanksgiving - We probably will host a small family dinner. The family that is coming has been isolating as much as we do. However, there are some family members who already stated they will not come due to Covid concerns.

Christmas - Not sure yet. We have done several events like dinners and brunches, but I think if anything happens it will be the same small family group and only one event.

Of course, this might all change if we are peaking again.
Old 10-16-20, 10:23 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 262 Posts
I try to get back to my home town, a 200 mile drive, for Christmas. This year the trip is out.
Old 10-16-20, 10:37 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 210 Posts
I live in a hood where Halloween is a big deal. We get literally thousands of people from all over, and typically, we hand out 1000 pieces of candy (and that is one per person).

I dunno what is going on this year, but for sure, if I hand out anything, it will be by different means.

I'm thinking perhaps a 40 foot length of PVC pipe, going from our upstairs window down to a bucket at street level. Then again, I'm also thinking the best thing is to avoid it altogether, as people really shouldn't be out there anyway.

Old 10-16-20, 10:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
61,000 people (US only) died in 2018 from the flu (and we HAD a vaccine), as compared to 180,000 people, so far, dying from COVID-19 in 2020, an increase yes, but not a very big increase considering there's 330,000,000 people in the US. How concerned were we when handing out candy, or attending Xmas parties in 2018? If you were like me, I'm guessing not at all. Based on that, it seems that we're all OK with 60,000 infectious disease deaths to the point where we don't protect ourselves at all, yet add just another 60,000 - 120,000 to that total and we go into total PPE and quarantine/lockdown. Where do we draw the line when it comes to concern? I currently wear my mask 95% of the time I'm interacting with people that are less than 6 feet from me, because I don't want to get it, or spread it to others. Why DIDN'T I do this during the flu season of 2018, especially considering that 9x the amount of people had the flu, as compared to COVID-19? I don't have an answer for that.

Source: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/flu-vs-c...rates-by-year/
Old 10-16-20, 02:06 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 79 Posts
We just celebrated our Thanksgiving last weekend here in Canada. Our family just had close immediate family over for dinner, no extended family, cousins, friends etc. Most people I have spoken with did something similar. Celebrate but in a smaller lower key way. Not zero risk, but lower risk than if we followed previous year's examples.
Likes For skookum:
Old 10-16-20, 02:12 PM
Pemetic2006

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
@Riveting.......
Covid deaths are nearly 25 percent higher than the number you posted, and thatís with 8 million infected vs. the 45 million infected for the 17/18 flu season.
Likes For Pemetic2006:
Old 10-17-20, 12:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I live in a hood where Halloween is a big deal. We get literally thousands of people from all over, and typically, we hand out 1000 pieces of candy (and that is one per person).

I dunno what is going on this year, but for sure, if I hand out anything, it will be by different means.

I'm thinking perhaps a 40 foot length of PVC pipe, going from our upstairs window down to a bucket at street level. Then again, I'm also thinking the best thing is to avoid it altogether, as people really shouldn't be out there anyway.
On Facebook I've seen photos and videos of some PVC pipe treat dispensers, running from the front door down the porch steps. Cute idea.

For naughty kids, use a slingshot or trebuchet dispenser.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-17-20, 12:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I'll probably skip all the holiday gatherings this year. I did last year, due to similar concerns. Around October 2019 I began experiencing most of the symptoms later associated with COVID-19, other than the fever. It was miserable and went on and on for months. I wasn't sure whether it was a virus or severe allergies, so I discontinued group bike rides, monthly dinner gatherings and holidays. Turned out to be allergies, finally relieved with new inhalers this spring.

I've done a few casual small group rides since summer, with folks who are conscientious about health issues and aren't coronavirus denialists. There's still some risk but fairly small. But I've still skipped the monthly dinner gatherings and will skip indoor holiday gatherings this year. Depending on the weather we might do a small outdoor get together.
Old 10-17-20, 01:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 936 Posts
I haven't done anything for Halloween for years. I'm not sure about Christmas and New Years. I don't really care. But, it has been important to my mother. However, she has been traveling a lot less with COVID.

We may do something local, with some social separation.
Old 10-17-20, 01:13 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
the cdc says covid cannot be isolated , measured or identified so im not worried about getting anything , maybe the flu or stomach virus , its not a big deal !
Old 10-17-20, 01:24 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting View Post
61,000 people (US only) died in 2018 from the flu (and we HAD a vaccine), as compared to 180,000 people, so far, dying from COVID-19 in 2020, an increase yes, but not a very big increase.
especially considering that 9x the amount of people had the flu, as compared to COVID-19? I don't have an answer for that.
Your answer is in your statement.

We've had just over 8 million documented cases of COVID in the USA. Likely > 20 million infected including asymptomatic cases, hitting some communities worse than others.
And, nearly 220,000 dead.

So, if we relaxed all containment measures, how many cases would we have? How many deaths? would 10x as many cases and deaths be acceptable? 2.2 million dead?

Perhaps it is OK if it is not your friends and family that are dying, but they are somebody's friends and family.

With the flu, those in a high risk category can get a vaccine. Those in a low risk category don't need to get the vaccine.

With COVID, those in high risk categories can just hope they don't get infected by someone in a low risk category. And, everyone has some public interaction. Make that safe.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-17-20, 05:31 AM
Pemetic2006

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas View Post
the cdc says covid cannot be isolated , measured or identified so im not worried about getting anything , maybe the flu or stomach virus , its not a big deal !

ďIím not worried about getting anythingĒ.
Old 10-17-20, 06:27 AM
hazelmark

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In covid I did online courses, watched my favorite series and home exercise for fitness.
Old 10-17-20, 05:50 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 View Post
ďIím not worried about getting anythingĒ.
... your statement indicates that you already have "something"
Old 10-17-20, 08:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

If you're not worried that you'll get anything, I'm not worried you'll get anything.

Whew, that's a relief. Now I have room to worry about one more person who needs the worrying.

#potrzebielogic

Old 10-18-20, 05:52 AM
Pemetic2006

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
... your statement indicates that you already have "something"
I was quoting someone’s obvious misunderstanding of how a virus works. How you didn’t know that is beyond me. Perhaps a perusal of the quoted text above my comment instead of a knee jerk reaction would have clued you in.

Last edited by Pemetic2006; 10-18-20 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-18-20, 05:17 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 View Post
I was quoting someoneís obvious misunderstanding of how a virus works. How you didnít know that is beyond me. Perhaps a perusal of the quoted text above my comment instead of a knee jerk reaction would have clued you in.
.... worse is i read the post above and still M I S S E D it , sometimes stupidity cannot be explained but dumb is mostly pretty obvious
Old 10-18-20, 07:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11869 Post(s)
Liked 3,807 Times in 2,005 Posts
An aunt of mine called me for another reason a few weeks ago. She usually hosts Christmas dinner. Looks like thatís not going to happen. Another aunt and uncle host Thanksgiving. Sounds like that is also off. They are all in their late 70s and early 80s, so it may have been the last time for all of us to get together.
Old 10-18-20, 09:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 846 Posts
I hate holidays and avoid them by staying on my bike until it is over.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-18-20, 09:58 PM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts
For the Trick or Treaters I saw an ingenious solution to handing out candy from a distance. A guy created a candy pipe out of large diameter PVC . But you need to be higher than the little ones (stairs or second story window) so gravity will force the candy down. Had it decorated for the occasion.

As for Turkey Day and Xmas, they are pretty much out except for maybe another couple in our 2 car garage with doors partially open, back door open, Hepa filter, exhaust fan, heaters and 12 foot distance. We have done this twice with 3 tables (one for each couple and one for the food), tablecloths, candles, stereo, and some carpet we had leftover from our remodel. Worked really well and everyone felt safe.
Old 10-19-20, 08:16 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 228 Posts
Our planned season:

Halloween, as normal with our son.
Thanksgiving we usually go to my BIL house but he just finished cancer treatments (successfully) and my MIL just starting breast cancer treatments,we have decided to cancelling a large family gathering just to be safe for them. We will do only family units.

Christmas: well that is going to be differnt. My family will go to our parents house every two weeks. So from Dec. 1st to Fet 1st we will all go home for one weekend with 14 days between. My parents are getting older so we are seriously concerned for them but they want holidy company so that is the solution. So they will get company every other weekend 4 times throughout the season. We will quaranteen before we go. On my wifes side all is cancelled because of two memebers dealing wtih cancer. We are planning a vitual pizza christmas dinner...should be very interesting.
Old 10-19-20, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,692 Posts
Sorry, I forgot who it was, but I heard a state epidemiologist state that small family gatherings are now becoming one of the main modes of transmission. Obviously, when people do get together with their families, they don't tend to mask and maintain social distance.
Old 10-19-20, 08:41 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 846 Posts
I play this and everyone runs away. Even Covid 19 is afraid.
Old 10-19-20, 09:14 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Sorry, I forgot who it was, but I heard a state epidemiologist state that small family gatherings are now becoming one of the main modes of transmission. Obviously, when people do get together with their families, they don't tend to mask and maintain social distance.
I heard that too, might have been the CDC, that it is partially driving the rise in cases right now.

I forgot to include New Year's, which I hate and will be spending at home with wife.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 10-19-20, 12:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 12565 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,204 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Your answer is in your statement.

We've had just over 8 million documented cases of COVID in the USA. Likely > 20 million infected including asymptomatic cases, hitting some communities worse than others.
And, nearly 220,000 dead.

So, if we relaxed all containment measures, how many cases would we have? How many deaths? would 10x as many cases and deaths be acceptable? 2.2 million dead?

Perhaps it is OK if it is not your friends and family that are dying, but they are somebody's friends and family.

With the flu, those in a high risk category can get a vaccine. Those in a low risk category don't need to get the vaccine.

With COVID, those in high risk categories can just hope they don't get infected by someone in a low risk category. And, everyone has some public interaction. Make that safe.
​​​​​​I can't really disagree with anything in this post, but I'd like to say that even if it isn't critical to get a flu shot, you still should. Especially this year; the flu is pretty miserable too and if you get it you're going to worry you might have covid.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.