Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

We managed to control the contagion....

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 11-06-20, 04:13 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 337 Posts

Generally we've managed to keep the infection of morons and muppets out of Australia. Turns out fining the hell out of them and locking them up when needed, when public shaming doesn't work, is pretty effective. (I guess that is easier when they aren't armed to the teeth I suppose). We were also pretty lucky our state leaders were smart enough to ignore our happy clappy Prime Minister and forced his hand on taking the Pandemic seriously, for which he now takes credit...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...07d_story.html
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-06-20, 04:44 PM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 1,270 Posts
Angry rednecks all over the place here made a trip to the local feed/ farm n ranch store for deer corn in Australia’s homegrown band AC/DC t-shirt and our USA KISS mask. Not trying to make a statement just my usual clothing. Ugly looks and zero courtesy but I’m not surprised. They were cooking a bunch of food outside of course zero precautions and Texas is having a major spike in Covid-19 cases. Just back from bike ride and Trump propaganda all over the place. I hunt, fish, have weapons, drink beer, raise cattle, and have a 4x4 truck all things Bubba. But I hate redneck mentality and everything that goes with that. I’m in the minority here in Texas and making rednecks mad is a fun sport
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 11-07-20, 12:24 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

The shirt I had on that ruffled some feathers over 50 and still being trim and fit and still guzzling beer all a side effect from a 150 mile + bicycling a week habit. Yup full of myself right now because I’m so happy the Orange Pig is gone. I can see everybody uniting together to make our country the USA the best it can be.

Not the main lavatory but the one I mess up the most lol. South Texas is a real estate bargain just not too many California transplants and you know I’m just kidding. Saw a fat redneck with a shirt that said Don’t California My Texas. Yup, a few days after the election LOL.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 11-07-20, 12:36 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
The shirt I had on that ruffled some feathers over 50 and still being trim and fit and still guzzling beer all a side effect from a 150 mile + bicycling a week habit. Yup full of myself right now because Iím so happy the Orange Pig is gone. I can see everybody uniting together to make our country the USA the best it can be.

Not the main lavatory but the one I mess up the most lol. South Texas is a real estate bargain just not too many California transplants and you know Iím just kidding. Saw a fat redneck with a shirt that said Donít California My Texas. Yup, a few days after the election LOL.
The good ol' evangelicals wouldn't like that one!
They rounded up 400 maskholes at a protest the other day and fined another couple hundred a few thousand bucks each... probably a little overenthusiastic, but if you're protesting that 5G causes Covid you deserve what's coming to you, just on the grounds of being a gullible idiot.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-07-20, 01:17 AM
Hondo Gravel
Basically Psychotic

Yup I hear ya. Masks here are optional no fines or police action. Texas is free no mater what party has the White House. Texas Secede has been a rallying cry for years but in reality being part of the USA is best. I choose to wear a mask for now but if my fellow Texan doesn’t that is their right. In my rural area 5G is not a reality Just getting cell phone coverage is a win. I have satellite internet and it’s overpriced and is not high speed as they claim. So no cancerous 5G to worry about and after Tammy Faye Baker went to scammer heaven we only have our local bible thumpers to listen to. Take care brother from down under
Old 11-07-20, 06:58 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 627 Posts
That shirt would not be the least bit controversial in my state (CA) but when i was in East Texas, I noticed that there was a church on almost every street corner, especially in the smaller towns. So I can see how it might cause a bit of a ruckus at the local Piggly Wiggly or HEB wherever. There are still squares left to be shocked in places like Texas, it's kinda like the 1980's there in a lot of ways. Party on ...

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-07-20, 01:44 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 294 Posts
Infection rates have been a bit high in coastal Rhode Island which is not too surprising as I see people dining outside. The cafe'/restaurants have erected plastic separators between tables which seems to signal to people it is alright to be maskless. This signals to me that we are going to be subject to periodic bouts of increased infection for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-07-20, 03:00 PM
Goofball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
America made a big move towards controlling the contagion on Tuesday !
🐙
🚽
Old 11-07-20, 03:43 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Generally we've managed to keep the infection of morons and muppets out of Australia. Turns out fining the hell out of them and locking them up when needed, when public shaming doesn't work, is pretty effective.
That's great.

To each their own, though. In many places, liberty has value. In others, not so much. Even at the risk of catching something.

We'll all get past this. It's just another hurdle. There have been countless hurdles. There'll be countless more. Just so long as we don't forget who we are and where we came from.
Old 11-07-20, 04:10 PM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
That's great.

To each their own, though. In many places, liberty has value. In others, not so much. Even at the risk of catching something.

We'll all get past this. It's just another hurdle. There have been countless hurdles. There'll be countless more. Just so long as we don't forget who we are and where we came from.
Well at least my parents now have liberty, and don't have to hide out at home worrying they might die a slow frightening gurgling death and my partner and I had the liberty to go out last night drinking and eating in a cafe without having to worry that her immunocompromised state will lead to a beer and some tempura mushrooms being fatal.

The kind of liberty I see demanded in the US looks like the kind a toddler would want: I demand the liberty to go play wherever I want, even on the street, and I'm never gonna go to bed.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-07-20, 05:37 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Well at least my parents now have liberty, and don't have to hide out at home worrying they might die a slow frightening gurgling death and my partner and I had the liberty to go out last night drinking and eating in a cafe without having to worry that her immunocompromised state will lead to a beer and some tempura mushrooms being fatal.

The kind of liberty I see demanded in the US looks like the kind a toddler would want: I demand the liberty to go play wherever I want, even on the street, and I'm never gonna go to bed.
There's a gulf of difference between what the elected representatives of a citizenry authorize and what one-man edict gets shoved upon a people.

I suspect that if the former were done instead of the latter, then in most places in the U.S. there'd be much greater tolerance over the thing. Since it would then be the People being asked, having a say, and then agreeing to the thing. Instead of having it shoved down their throats.

Big difference.

Something lost in many discussions on the topic of COVID and dictates to address it.
Old 11-07-20, 05:46 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 181 Posts
I'm not sure what country you're speaking of. There were certainly no national mandates in the United States.

Even the President wouldn't actually have the power to issue such an edict and he certainly never tried.
Old 11-07-20, 06:32 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
I'm not sure what country you're speaking of. There were certainly no national mandates in the United States.

Even the President wouldn't actually have the power to issue such an edict and he certainly never tried.
At the state levels, the Govs of many, many states issued exactly that. Sidestepping the legislatures. And many lawsuits were floated to attempt to thwart such. Indeed, the Executive at the national level in the U.S. didn't attempt it. Despite loudly threatening exactly that.

Anyway. Comes down to how a People really wants to handle things. And at what cost. Just so long as the citizens themselves are where the authorization comes from, in a nation that requires that. (A major reason why many people in the U.S. got so up in arms about the manner in which the edicts came down.)
Old 11-07-20, 06:51 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup I hear ya. Masks here are optional no fines or police action. Texas is free no mater what party has the White House. Texas Secede has been a rallying cry for years but in reality being part of the USA is best. I choose to wear a mask for now but if my fellow Texan doesnít that is their right. In my rural area 5G is not a reality Just getting cell phone coverage is a win. I have satellite internet and itís overpriced and is not high speed as they claim. So no cancerous 5G to worry about and after Tammy Faye Baker went to scammer heaven we only have our local bible thumpers to listen to. Take care brother from down under
... i'm down in the valley a little south of Hondo and I echo his sentiments
Old 11-07-20, 07:16 PM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
There's a gulf of difference between what the elected representatives of a citizenry authorize and what one-man edict gets shoved upon a people.

I suspect that if the former were done instead of the latter, then in most places in the U.S. there'd be much greater tolerance over the thing. Since it would then be the People being asked, having a say, and then agreeing to the thing. Instead of having it shoved down their throats.

Big difference.

Something lost in many discussions on the topic of COVID and dictates to address it.
That's great, if a population has all the facts available to them, and are able to make rational decisions. Quite clearly that was never possible in the USA, where information from the highest office in the land was deliberately distorted or falsified. I have little doubt that if the population was given the right information, like we were, there would way less angst. Australia's way of dealing with Covid had huge support generally. The only whiners were the Rupert Murdoch owned press and TV. Thankfully they don't have the hold they do in the USA, and were ineffective with their disinformation campaigns, we listened to doctors and scientists. It's expected we'll be free of Covid-19 within a couple of weeks. Our economy is bouncing back (well apart from the economic punishment China is currently inflicting on us for daring to speak out against them).