genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9496 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 1,205 Posts
A nasal spray may block COVID...

This just in, and in very very early testing, with ferrets... a nasal spray, that could block COVID infection for 24 hours.
https://bgr.com/2020/11/07/coronavir...popeptide/amp/

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/ne...204611720.html

Columbia University researchers have developed a nasal spray that has successfully prevented COVID-19 infections in tests with ferrets as well as a 3D model of human lungs.

The lipopeptide (that is, a lipid and peptide combination) prevents the coronavirus from fusing with a target cellís membrane by blocking a key protein from adopting a necessary shape. It should work immediately and last for at least 24 hours. Itís also affordable, lasts a long time, and doesnít need refrigeration.
Likes For genec:
Old 11-08-20, 12:46 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 788 Posts
How much per squirt and can we get it over the counter?
Old 11-08-20, 12:55 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 196 Posts
Although better than getting the Corona virus, that doesn't sound too healthy for your lungs, and you can still get the virus by touching your mouth or eyes with your fingers.
I doubt it will actually be that effective in real life, but I'm not a medical researcher.
Old 11-08-20, 01:43 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 3,200 Times in 1,820 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
Although better than getting the Corona virus, that doesn't sound too healthy for your lungs, and you can still get the virus by touching your mouth or eyes with your fingers.
I doubt it will actually be that effective in real life, but I'm not a medical researcher.
None of us have any idea how effective it might be in real life, but "doesn't sound too healthy for your lungs" is absurd. They're going to test for safety, but until then your "gut reaction" is absolutely worthless. People inhale all sorts of medications without harmful effects. This may or may not fall into that category.

Also, the spread by touch appears to be quite unusual, it's almost all airborne. And who's to say whether the virus could spread from eye or mouth contact if access to the lungs and nose are both blocked.

The only thing I agree with in your post is that you're not a medical researcher. It sounds promising, I hope it works.
Old 11-08-20, 01:52 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
None of us have any idea how effective it might be in real life, but "doesn't sound too healthy for your lungs" is absurd. They're going to test for safety, but until then your "gut reaction" is absolutely worthless. People inhale all sorts of medications without harmful effects. This may or may not fall into that category.

Also, the spread by touch appears to be quite unusual, it's almost all airborne. And who's to say whether the virus could spread from eye or mouth contact if access to the lungs and nose are both blocked.

The only thing I agree with in your post is that you're not a medical researcher. It sounds promising, I hope it works.
My first reaction is worth at least as much as yours.
Being an asthmatic and a sufferer from MCS due to black mold in a building I once lived in, I know how little it takes to screw up my lungs. And something that prevents things from fusing with the cell membrane doesn't sound like it does something good to your lungs if used every 24 hours.
And, no, I'm not a medical researcher, but neither are you. The only living organism they have tested this on is ferrets. The model of human lungs were obvisouly to see if they could get it into every nook and cranny. The ferrets can't actually tell what is happening, nor do we have long term data - not even on the ferrets.

Even if it works, you only need a "soft entry point" to get the virus, which means that if you touch your mouth or eyes with virus on the fingers, you can still get it. That's why we use hand sanitizer with a large amount of alcohol in it and use soap to wash our hands very thoroughly.

Yes, they will do more testing as they should, but I don't have particularly high hopes that this will be for everyone or even for most.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-08-20 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-08-20, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

My first reaction is worth at least as much as yours.
Being an asthmatic and a sufferer from MCS due to black mold in a building I once lived in, I know how little it takes to screw up my lungs. And something that prevents things from fusing with the cell membrane doesn't sound like it does something good to your lungs if used every 24 hours.
And, no, I'm not a medical researcher, but neither are you. The only living organism they have tested this on is ferrets. The model of human lungs were obvisouly to see if they could get it into every nook and cranny. The ferrets can't actually tell what is happening, nor do we have long term data - not even on the ferrets.

Even if it works, you only need a "soft entry point" to get the virus, which means that if you touch your mouth or eyes with virus on the fingers, you can still get it. That's why we use hand sanitizer with a large amount of alcohol in it and use soap to wash our hands very thoroughly.

Yes, they will do more testing as they should, but I don't have particularly high hopes that this will be for everyone or even for most.

The difference between you and me is that I know that my first reaction is completely meaningless and you seem hell-bent on convincing people (unconvincingly) that your first reaction is worth note.

You might have noted that recommendations for self-protection moved away from near-obsessive hand cleansing and towards mask wearing. That's because all of the relevant evidence suggests that spread by hand is relatively quite rare.

Not sure why your various ailments are supposed to qualify you as some sort of expert, but I'm pretty sure one of them isn't a real thing. I'll leave that to another forum.
Old 11-08-20, 02:39 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

The difference between you and me is that I know that my first reaction is completely meaningless and you seem hell-bent on convincing people (unconvincingly) that your first reaction is worth note.
No I don't. You're completely overreacting.

You might have noted that recommendations for self-protection moved away from near-obsessive hand cleansing and towards mask wearing.
No it didn't. They complement each other.
I live in Denmark, perhaps we are better informed here. Mask use is not "instead of washing hands and using sanitizer".

That's because all of the relevant evidence suggests that spread by hand is relatively quite rare.
Sure

Not sure why your various ailments are supposed to qualify you as some sort of expert, but I'm pretty sure one of them isn't a real thing. I'll leave that to another forum.
It doesn't qualify my "as an expert". It's just that I know that it takes very little for my lungs to react due to the MCS. Much less than most people.

A mask mainly works because it stops spittle, it doesn't actually protect you as you breathe in around it, not through it. It does, however, stop you from touching your mouth and nose.

But, again, your reaction is way over the top and really has no bearing on reality either. Did you know that the WHO now have "shunned" Remdesevir? There were medical researchers (from another big corp) behind that "treatment" too. Just because something is done by researchers doesn't mean their hypothesis will be born out in reality.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-08-20 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-08-20, 02:51 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

No I don't. You're completely overreacting.

No it didn't. They complement each other.
I live in Denmark, perhaps we are better informed here. Mask use is not "instead of washing hands and using sanitizer".

Sure

It doesn't qualify my "as an expert". It's just that I know that it takes very little for my lungs to react due to the MCS. Much less than most people.
Masks mainly works because it stops spittle, it doesn't actually protect you as you breathe in around it, not through it. It does, however, stop you from touching your mouth and nose.

But, again, your reaction is way over the top and really has no bearing on reality either. Did you know that the WHO now have "shunned" Remdesevir? There were medical researchers (from another big corp) behind that "treatment" too. Just because something is done by researchers doesn't mean their hypothesis will be born out in reality.

You do you. As usual, you're flailing about, and it's not worth my time.
Old 11-08-20, 02:54 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You do you. As usual, you're flailing about, and it's not worth my time.
Yet you come at me as usual all aggressive with misinformation and misinterpretation of what I say, only to fail at proving anything except your skill at projecting ignorance.
Old 11-08-20, 04:42 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 28 Posts
I contracted the virus a little over a month ago and am mostly recovered. The incubation period was about 5 days from contact, which developed into a dry cough, then fever and a pneumonia-like cough. Immediate loss of mental clarity and energy.

Treated the cough (lasted two weeks) with guaifenesin, dextro-methorphan, acetaminophen for the fever (lasted two-three nights) doubled up on vitamin C and zinc ever since. Other family members also suffered nausea gastrointestinal distress.

Hopefully there will be effective preventatives which pass muster. I would favor a nasal spray, but my wife would not.

Stay healthy!
Old 11-08-20, 04:44 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by reconnaissance View Post
I contracted the virus a little over a month ago and am mostly recovered. The incubation period was about 5 days from contact, which developed into a dry cough, then fever and a pneumonia-like cough. Immediate loss of mental clarity and energy.

Treated the cough (lasted two weeks) with guaifenesin, dextro-methorphan, acetaminophen for the fever (lasted two-three nights) doubled up on vitamin C and zinc ever since. Other family members also suffered nausea gastrointestinal distress.

Hopefully there will be effective preventatives which pass muster. I would favor a nasal spray, but my wife would not.

Stay healthy!
How did you contact it?

Old 11-08-20, 04:47 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Stay healthy!

Glad you and your family are okay.
Old 11-08-20, 04:50 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
Lucky ferrets
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 11-08-20, 05:13 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 28 Posts
As fate would have it, one of my daughters (living on her own) is a nurse. She and two younger siblings (who live with us) were in a car together all day before she had symptoms, and four days later she called us to let us know she was feeling symptomatic, was tested next day and the rest is history. Fortunately, we were able to remain quarantined (for three, almost four weeks) and didn't pass it along to anyone else.
Likes For reconnaissance:
Old 11-08-20, 05:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 125 Posts
As fate would have it, one of my daughters (living on her own) is a nurse. She and two younger siblings (who live with us) were in a car together all day before she had symptoms, and four days later she called us to let us know she was feeling symptomatic, was tested next day and the rest is history. Fortunately, we were able to remain quarantined (for three, almost four weeks) and didn't pass it along to anyone else.
Thanks much

Old 11-09-20, 07:48 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Thanks much

I don't live in the area, but I second that gratitude. I'm currently suffering from a lung ailment that's making me feel especially vulnerable to a COVID infection, and am very glad that people such as you and your entire family behave so responsibly.
Old 11-10-20, 11:53 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 12874 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 1,255 Posts
Interesting concept.
I wonder how this will be marketed.
  • Daily dose, and continue with your daily life?
  • Dose for special occasions such as going to a wedding, or going to the dentist.
The ultimate use of the drug will also impact the general safety as well as testing protocols.

Metabolism, Excretion, & Metabolites?
Old 11-10-20, 03:04 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Interesting concept.
I wonder how this will be marketed.
  • Daily dose, and continue with your daily life?
  • Dose for special occasions such as going to a wedding, or going to the dentist.
The ultimate use of the drug will also impact the general safety as well as testing protocols.

Metabolism, Excretion, & Metabolites?

I think this is a back-up strategy in case the vaccines don't actually work. Essentially, this would be like taking a daily vaccine.