Old 11-19-20, 10:36 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,618 Times in 815 Posts
Real food for real people

A case against meat production giant Tyson Foods claims that workers at an Iowapork factory were ordered back to work in unsafe conditions Ė even as plant supervisors privately took bets on how many would be infected with Covid-19.
Full story at the Independent (UK)

In what I imagine to be completely unrelated news, we passed the quarter of a million deaths milestone yesterday.
Old 11-19-20, 02:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 929 Posts
Yup, some knuckleheads here are still in denial. Now they are breaking out the rebel flags without any clue of civil war history Gettysburg I ask one if they knew what that was. They though is was a new brand of beer ... I could use a cold beer after this 40 mile ride.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 11-19-20, 04:48 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Life is good right now despite all the negativity going on. AC/DC and cold cheap beer.

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 11-19-20, 10:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Old 11-20-20, 01:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 3836 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 999 Posts
The meat packing industry has been a mess for decades, especially handling poultry and pigs. Not all of them are bad, but I've seen some bad places in person as a safety and health inspector. And that was during non-pandemic times. The worst was a place that made bacon and sausage. They "smoked" the meat using construction grade 2x4 lumber scraps -- pine, whitewood, etc. The place was filthy and you could literally smell the fear of the animals. But I've also inspected much better places.

I'm not at all surprised Tyson would pressure employees to work in unhealthy conditions despite the pandemic. It's a crap industry and the standards are lower now than when I was working.

It's partly because consumers expect cheap goods. They weren't willing to pay the real costs for meat that didn't come at the price of the safety and health of employees. And now with the economy so lopsided, with many low wage employees needing food supplement programs like SNAP to survive, many Americans couldn't afford to pay the real costs of poultry even if they were willing to do so.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-20-20, 02:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12093 Post(s)
Liked 4,017 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Gettysburg I ask one if they knew what that was. They though is was a new brand of beer .
The historical site is actually a really cool place to see by bike when itís not crowded. I rode around it one fall afternoon with a couple of friends.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-20-20, 03:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The historical site is actually a really cool place to see by bike when itís not crowded. I rode around it one fall afternoon with a couple of friends.
I visited there in 2011 on the way home from Acadia NP. Like you say it is a cool place. Freaked me out how close the two armies were too each other.
Old 11-20-20, 03:32 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 644 Posts
Life is good right now despite all the negativity going on. AC/DC and cold cheap beer.

Hondo, may I point out that the world is currently upside down. Negativity is a good thing. Positivity kills.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-20-20, 06:59 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Hondo, may I point out that the world is currently upside down. Negativity is a good thing. Positivity kills.
connect the negative terminal first that one with the + sign will spark lol.
Old 11-21-20, 06:49 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 117 Posts
Nice lighter side mention. Have you heard much of Power Up? I heard a recent interview where, I think, Brian Johnson said the world really needs some basic turn-it-up rock music right now. Making Malcolm proud.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 11-21-20, 07:23 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
No, you didn't pass the quarter million deaths milestone yesterday. If you used Germany's standard for counting COVID fatalities, total deaths in the US would be 31,000. If you used Japan's standard, there would currently be 16,000 deaths. Only in America do they count everyone who dies "with" COVID as having died "from" COVID. And only in America can a doctor judge a death as being caused by COVID without the victim having tested positive.

Here in Japan, COVID is not a political issue, it is a health issue. Politicians are not using the pandemic as an excuse divide and incite the people, and the news media is not sensationalizing the pandemic to suit their particular ideologies, or to increase readership and clicks.

I was in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. I remember the political storm which followed, with blaming Bush, and republicans blaming Ray Nagan and Louisiana's governor. The news networks fanned the flames, and reaping large profits as outrage caused increased viewership and readership. Everyone was fighting with each other about who was going to do what, blaming each other for not acting, etc etc. Billions were eventually spent, most of which vanished into the pockets of contractors and the politically connected. And much of the area which was devastated by the hurricane is still vacant today.

Then I was in the 2011 earthquake in Japan. This was many times worse than Katrina in all categories. But there was no political posturing or controversy. Instead of demanding government action and assistance, the people in the affected areas went to work themselves, and were joined by others from neighboring prefectures who brought food, water, and equipment. The recovery was well underway before the government could organize an official response, and no one complained. The news in Japan did not sensationalize the earthquake, commercial advertisements stopped, because no news agency or business wanted to be seen as trying to profit from the deaths of so many thousands. I much prefer to live in Japan, where people are sensible, objective, and don't let emotions interfere with what needs to be done.
Likes For Sangetsu:
Old 11-21-20, 08:04 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,618 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
No, you didn't pass the quarter million deaths milestone yesterday. If you used Germany's standard for counting COVID fatalities, total deaths in the US would be 31,000. If you used Japan's standard, there would currently be 16,000 deaths..
This should be entertaining.

Since you value objective evidence, do you have any to substantiate those remarkable claims?

Last edited by wgscott; 11-21-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-21-20, 08:08 PM
clubman 
Youngman Grand

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
This should be entertaining.
Nope. It's boring. Sangetsu is already blocked. Life's too short for ridiculous sophistry. I'm moving on.
Old 11-21-20, 09:58 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 current favorite, newest bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 155 Posts

No matter how bad life gets, it's never bad enough for cheap beer. And good beer always makes life better, even if it's already going well. "Life's too short to drink bad beer." -me
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 11-21-20, 10:53 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

[QUOTE=AdkMtnMonster;21800832]No matter how bad life gets, it's never bad enough for cheap beer. And good beer always makes life better, even if it's already going well. "Life's too short to drink bad beer." -me[/QUOTE
I will improve beer choices tomorrow but at noon since Texas canít sell beer on Sunday until noon aka when the Catholics get out of church and Iím a non practicing Catholic.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 11-25-20, 02:48 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 235 Posts
No, you didn't pass the quarter million deaths milestone yesterday. If you used Germany's standard for counting COVID fatalities, total deaths in the US would be 31,000. If you used Japan's standard, there would currently be 16,000 deaths. Only in America do they count everyone who dies "with" COVID as having died "from" COVID. And only in America can a doctor judge a death as being caused by COVID without the victim having tested positive.

Here in Japan, COVID is not a political issue, it is a health issue. Politicians are not using the pandemic as an excuse divide and incite the people, and the news media is not sensationalizing the pandemic to suit their particular ideologies, or to increase readership and clicks.

I was in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. I remember the political storm which followed, with blaming Bush, and republicans blaming Ray Nagan and Louisiana's governor. The news networks fanned the flames, and reaping large profits as outrage caused increased viewership and readership. Everyone was fighting with each other about who was going to do what, blaming each other for not acting, etc etc. Billions were eventually spent, most of which vanished into the pockets of contractors and the politically connected. And much of the area which was devastated by the hurricane is still vacant today.

Then I was in the 2011 earthquake in Japan. This was many times worse than Katrina in all categories. But there was no political posturing or controversy. Instead of demanding government action and assistance, the people in the affected areas went to work themselves, and were joined by others from neighboring prefectures who brought food, water, and equipment. The recovery was well underway before the government could organize an official response, and no one complained. The news in Japan did not sensationalize the earthquake, commercial advertisements stopped, because no news agency or business wanted to be seen as trying to profit from the deaths of so many thousands. I much prefer to live in Japan, where people are sensible, objective, and don't let emotions interfere with what needs to be done.
I'll bite, because no stupidity should go unrewarded.
If Covid deaths are only 31000 in the USA, how do you explain the other 300,000 deaths above the long term average this year? Just coincidence? People getting bored with lockdown and just upping and dying because life ain't worth living if you can't go get a weak beer from a chain bar.? Maybe go look up the official excess death statistics at the CDC before you start spouting dumb stuff you read on the internet... hear endeath the rant.
Oh yeah, after the shuteshow that was the Kobe earthquake, I think the Japanese people have realised their political system can't cope with crises so they know they have to do it themselves, because they know their government is useless in an emergency.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-25-20, 07:44 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 112 Posts
Behold the TurDunkin:

https://nypost.com/2020/11/25/turdun...sgiving-feast/

Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 11-25-20, 08:00 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: 1989 Club Fuji, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur, 2001 GT i-drive Race, Iro Mark V, a bunch more

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 126 Posts
That turdunkin looks horrible lol
Old 11-25-20, 08:09 PM
CycleryNorth81

That TurDunkin was made by MIT students with a coffee gravy
Old 11-26-20, 05:01 AM
FastMike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Since when thinking positively kills? Unless you mean being positive( of Covid-19) kills, then that's a different story.
Old 11-26-20, 07:22 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

I've always wanted to deep fry a turkey. Don't even eat them, just up for the challenge, got a nice big gas burner and a big pot. Been in Antarctica for the last 4 Christmases, not many turkeys and way too many rules to be playing with a couple of gallons of hot oil, so maybe this is my year.
Old 11-26-20, 10:07 AM
CycleryNorth81

Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
I've always wanted to deep fry a turkey. Don't even eat them, just up for the challenge, got a nice big gas burner and a big pot. Been in Antarctica for the last 4 Christmases, not many turkeys and way too many rules to be playing with a couple of gallons of hot oil, so maybe this is my year.
I heard people fried their Snickers candy bar and cheese in the oil after cooking the turkey. Anybody tried that?
Old 11-26-20, 04:56 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
I'll bite, because no stupidity should go unrewarded.
If Covid deaths are only 31000 in the USA, how do you explain the other 300,000 deaths above the long term average this year? Just coincidence? People getting bored with lockdown and just upping and dying because life ain't worth living if you can't go get a weak beer from a chain bar.? Maybe go look up the official excess death statistics at the CDC before you start spouting dumb stuff you read on the internet... hear endeath the rant.
Oh yeah, after the shuteshow that was the Kobe earthquake, I think the Japanese people have realised their political system can't cope with crises so they know they have to do it themselves, because they know their government is useless in an emergency.
CDC Data: Total Deaths All Causes (US)
2017 = 234,458 per month
2018 = 236,600 per month
2019 = 237,916 per month
2020 = 236,667 per month (Jan to Sept)
Old 11-26-20, 05:02 PM
zurgalay

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys, I'm now hungry, nice pics of food
Old 11-26-20, 05:22 PM
Trevtassie

CDC Data: Total Deaths All Causes (US)
2017 = 234,458 per month
2018 = 236,600 per month
2019 = 237,916 per month
2020 = 236,667 per month (Jan to Sept)
If you are going to fake data, at least try and remember to add the extra covid deaths to the monthly average. Our are you saying the average death rate has gone down in proportion to the extra covid deaths.
meanwhile on the CDC website :

quite a few weeks behind
Likes For Trevtassie:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.