Reload this Page >

How Could Getting COVID Affect Your Cycling Performance? The Science - YouTube

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 11-23-20, 09:37 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 261 Posts

I found this insightful:

Old 11-23-20, 09:58 AM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does ANYONE on here believe (or Know) that they had Covid and rode through it frequently ? I'm 78 soon to be 79 and believe I had it in January 2020 when it was first on the scene before it even was identified, I rode through it just about every day for a month Coughing up some hideous looking stuff. Ive have been tested for antibodies (4 months later) and was negative but was told that the test at the time was 50% inaccurate 3 weeks after recovery (I was test 3 months after I believe I had it) ??
Old 11-23-20, 10:26 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by trooper2899 View Post
Does ANYONE on here believe (or Know) that they had Covid and rode through it frequently ? I'm 78 soon to be 79 and believe I had it in January 2020 when it was first on the scene before it even was identified, I rode through it just about every day for a month Coughing up some hideous looking stuff. Ive have been tested for antibodies (4 months later) and was negative but was told that the test at the time was 50% inaccurate 3 weeks after recovery (I was test 3 months after I believe I had it) ??
Like you, I had something that was likely COVID-19, but testing wasn't available and I did not require medical treatment (just buckets of NyQuil). I'm 51, so my experience is likely different ... I did ride most days during this illness, but low intensity riding - I feel like that level of activity helped my body and definitely helped my mental health. I've felt the effects of 'long COVID' with fatigue and brain fog, but I'm mostly back to normal.

I have a riding buddy that just turned 80, he's an ultra-endurance rider. He, like us, is sure he had COVID in the late winter because he didn't need hospitalization didn't get tested. He also remained active, but had bad enough symptoms to force him to stay off the bike for some of the illness. He has suffered kidney failure (not an issue prior to COVID), this has forced him to cut back on ultra rides.

Not sure if this is helpful or not ...
Old 11-23-20, 10:58 AM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply - hopefully somewhere down the road there will be research that will develope clearer information on all this - I'm pretty sure hundreds of people had this stuff prior to Jan 1st 2020......its supposedly a variant of the "Flu" and even the "common cold", I just wonder if it can ever be proven it was an intentional release of a weaponized virus because it has destabilized the world........just when Trump clamped down on the Chinese economic boom, the coinsidense is mind boggling.
Old 11-23-20, 11:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

COVID-19 was not intentional or weaponized.

But was avoidable. 'Wet markets" (& feed lots), deforestation, climate change, ... Our actions and treatment of our natural world is what boggles my mind.

I look forward to the research and information that will be available in years to come.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-23-20, 05:30 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 241 Posts
I 'rode through it' when I was sick in February. There was no testing when I was sick, but I had all the symptoms including the big purple toes. Recovery pace stuff generally took my HR into the mid 150s. Even when I was feeling better my power was off about 30 watts across all zones, and my HR was through the roof. For months I calibrated and recalibrated the power meters on my bikes, convinced it had to be some computer glitch. I saw heart rates in the mid 180s just doing pace work. I'm in my mid 50s. I'm just now finding some excitement to ride, and am seeing little bitty improvements, though my threshold power is still off by quite a bit.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 11-30-20, 03:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4860 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,245 Posts
I am just recovering and 'rode thru it' at the beginning. I had just done a 25mi hard gravel ride a day and a half before testing positive. Clearly I had covid before the morning I was tested and a day before my ride, I had some muscle pain bad enough to take otc meds and was tired.
The ride was fast and fun and I felt great afterwards. It was actually that ride which caused me to stop thinking in the back of my mind that I may have covid due to the muscle pain and tiredness. Then I took an already scheduled test and ends up I have it.
I didnt do any heartrate increasing exercise for 8 days after testing, and then just Zwifted last night and lasted only 33min before I had to shut it down. 33min at a measurably lower intensity than normal.
I did go on 5 long walk/hikes thru different woods around me while I had covid as my breathing has never been affected. The walks were with my kids and dogs, so they were a few miles long and 90min, so not exactly breakneck pace.

Anyways, I didnt work out hard because Ive seen and read a bunch of horror stories about people exercising and being worse off due to heart and lung capacity issues forming as a result of exercise. So I just shut myself away for the last 10 days and binge watched anything and everything.
I did finally finish cabling an old MTB for my wife- all it took was me having literally nothing else to do.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-01-20, 02:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,099 Posts
Last week Alex Dowsett posted a vlog explaining that his own bout with COVID-19 forced him to postpone his planned December 2020 attempt at regaining the hour record. It's 10 minutes and a good first hand description of how it can impact even the fittest, healthiest athletes.

In his case -- so far -- it's "only" impacted him enough to make the hour record attempt impractical. He's still strong enough to ride most of us into the ground. But not strong enough to tackle a new hour record since the illness has weakened him enough to hinder training.

What remains to be seen is whether there are long term or permanent disabilities. It appears that the Epstein-Barr virus ("mono") effectively ended Mark Cavendish's competitive career.

And, at the level of the anonymous but serious amateur athlete, a bout with hepatitis and the gamma globulin shot to treat it effectively ended my amateur boxing aspirations. I was a hemodialysis nurse in the 1970s-early '80s, during my late teens to mid-20s, while also pursuing amateur boxing (and occasional cycling races -- a few crits and time trials). While I was extremely careful to avoid needle sticks (this was also the beginning of the HIV/AIDS epidemic), many of our patients had not only hepatitis B and C but A. The latter, hep A, is highly contagious even without needle sticks and probably the variety I got, despite the usual hygienic precautions -- gloves, lots of handwashing, disinfecting dialysis stations after every patient, etc. Hepatitis also ended the careers of some boxers, including the great but under-appreciated middleweight champ Rodrigo Valdes, who declined quickly after his rematch against Carlos Monzon.

While the long term consequences of hepatitis have long been well known, we weren't aware of the permanent debilities caused by the Epstein-Barr virus years ago when it was jokingly referred to as the "kissing disease," and having mono as a teenager was almost a badge of honor, regarding with smirks as evidence of intimacy with romantic partners. We didn't realize until much later it could cause permanent problems.

After the early 2000s SARS pandemic researchers found some evidence that the coronavirus may be connected with a range of illnesses not originally associated with a "respiratory" virus: cardiovascular disease related to inflammatory disease; autoimmune disorders; neurological damage and even dementia.

If there's anything good to come of this pandemic it may be a renewed emphasis on vaccines for people who wish to minimize the risk of longterm consequences beyond "just a really bad cold," as some folks have continued to mis-characterize SARS related illnesses.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-03-20, 09:00 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by trooper2899 View Post
Yes.

Nine months later without drugs for CNS inflammation. I'd be disabled and my career over from brain fog.

It gave me Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, cut my aerobic threshold in half from 150W at 140 bpm to 75W at 110 bpm, and I don't want to find out what my anaerobic threshold is because that risks Post Exertional Malaise.

(Muscles are powered by the energy released when adeonsine triphosphate loses a phosphate, with one molecule of glucose producing 36 of ATP via aerobic glycolysis in your mitochondria or 2 via anaerobic glycolysis. CFS includes mitochondrial dysfunction where they don't work correctly and you switch to anaerobic at very low intensities)

I'm not the same since overdoing it on June 20th, where "overdoing it" was 110 minutes at my 140 bpm aerobic threshold heart rate which should be sustainable for 4-5 hours.

According to my infectious disease doctors I'm not supposed to get my heart rate over 120; although 110 seems to be the practical limit which would otherwise be an all-day, 20 hour pace for me. It would be nice to have known that - apparently over doing it and being set back months if not permanently is not uncommon among new CFS patients.

I now have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome. When not medicated I can increase my heart rate 30 bpm standing up and diastolic blood pressure 20mm/hg, unless I'm tired which can increase that to 50 bpm. My heart rate can increase when I stop bicycling to stand.

I've had a headache (one headache) since my second week around March 14th.

My airway is now borderline hyper reactive.

I have insatiable thirst.

It probably gave me Sjögren's Syndrome; where that means my eyes are dry, my nose is dry, my snot is sticky so I can't blow snot rockets, and I have antibodies against carbon anhydrase six which only exists in saliva and salivary glands.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-04-20 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-04-20, 05:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,099 Posts
Wow, Drew, that's rough. I sure hope you continue to recover.
Old 12-04-20, 08:11 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Drew, thank you for sharing your story. I hope you can see improvement and recover strength as well as clear the headache and fog. Take care!
Old 12-05-20, 09:22 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
Yes.

Nine months later without drugs for CNS inflammation. I'd be disabled and my career over from brain fog.

It gave me Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, cut my aerobic threshold in half from 150W at 140 bpm to 75W at 110 bpm, and I don't want to find out what my anaerobic threshold is because that risks Post Exertional Malaise.

(Muscles are powered by the energy released when adeonsine triphosphate loses a phosphate, with one molecule of glucose producing 36 of ATP via aerobic glycolysis in your mitochondria or 2 via anaerobic glycolysis. CFS includes mitochondrial dysfunction where they don't work correctly and you switch to anaerobic at very low intensities)

I'm not the same since overdoing it on June 20th, where "overdoing it" was 110 minutes at my 140 bpm aerobic threshold heart rate which should be sustainable for 4-5 hours.

According to my infectious disease doctors I'm not supposed to get my heart rate over 120; although 110 seems to be the practical limit which would otherwise be an all-day, 20 hour pace for me. It would be nice to have known that - apparently over doing it and being set back months if not permanently is not uncommon among new CFS patients.

I now have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome. When not medicated I can increase my heart rate 30 bpm standing up and diastolic blood pressure 20mm/hg, unless I'm tired which can increase that to 50 bpm. My heart rate can increase when I stop bicycling to stand.

I've had a headache (one headache) since my second week around March 14th.

My airway is now borderline hyper reactive.

I have insatiable thirst.

It probably gave me Sjögren's Syndrome; where that means my eyes are dry, my nose is dry, my snot is sticky so I can't blow snot rockets, and I have antibodies against carbon anhydrase six which only exists in saliva and salivary glands.
wow. tough story. thanks for sharing and best wishes for eventual improvements.