Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Long COVID

Old 11-23-20, 09:40 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 261 Posts
Long COVID

I watched this last night on 60 Minutes ... scary long-term effects of COVID-19 on healthy people

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-l...es-2020-11-22/
Old 11-23-20, 04:18 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 140 Posts
I'm still experiencing the fatigue, on and off cough, and sinus issues. If I lose my sense of taste again I'm heading straight to the doctor again for testing. I'm a "long hauler".
Old 11-24-20, 08:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

I feel your pain tds101 - I was sick with something bad back in early April, I didn't need medical care (just buckets of NyQuil). Testing wasn't available for mild cases, so I don't know that it was COVID-19. But now seeing the news about "long COVID" or "long haulers", I feel certain it was COVID-19 back in the spring. I've been struggle with fatigue, low energy, and brain fog for many months. Fortunately, I never struggled like some of the folks in this story - I've keep up a fairly normal level of activity, biking most every day and not missed out on work. And I feel like I've returned to normal over the last few weeks.

To anybody promoting the 'herd immunity' concept with COVID-19, or claiming this is just a bad flu: there are significate residual effects, and they are affecting people that were healthy prior to contracting COVID-19. It is so frustrating to see anybody that doesn't understand how serious COVID-19 is to every. single. person.

Please take care, mask up, cancel Thanksgiving plans, and hold tight for the vaccines to hit the market. Together, we can do this!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-25-20, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
I feel your pain tds101 - I was sick with something bad back in early April, I didn't need medical care (just buckets of NyQuil). Testing wasn't available for mild cases, so I don't know that it was COVID-19. But now seeing the news about "long COVID" or "long haulers", I feel certain it was COVID-19 back in the spring. I've been struggle with fatigue, low energy, and brain fog for many months. Fortunately, I never struggled like some of the folks in this story - I've keep up a fairly normal level of activity, biking most every day and not missed out on work. And I feel like I've returned to normal over the last few weeks.

To anybody promoting the 'herd immunity' concept with COVID-19, or claiming this is just a bad flu: there are significate residual effects, and they are affecting people that were healthy prior to contracting COVID-19. It is so frustrating to see anybody that doesn't understand how serious COVID-19 is to every. single. person.

Please take care, mask up, cancel Thanksgiving plans, and hold tight for the vaccines to hit the market. Together, we can do this!
Have you had the antibody test? Might be a good thing to confirm just in case those are symptoms of something else.
Old 11-25-20, 11:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Have you had the antibody test? Might be a good thing to confirm just in case those are symptoms of something else.
I have though about it many times, but the accuracy of these tests have left me questioning the value of a them.

"... serologic test results do not indicate with certainty the presence or absence of current or previous infection with SARS-CoV-2."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uidelines.html
Old 11-25-20, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
I have though about it many times, but the accuracy of these tests have left me questioning the value of a them.

"... serologic test results do not indicate with certainty the presence or absence of current or previous infection with SARS-CoV-2."

You don't have to answer this, but have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? Those symptoms might fit that. I ask because I thought I had COVID and wasted some time I could have gotten treatment for what I actually had waiting a couple days for test results. I just think right now there's a natural tendency to confirmation bias pretty much any ailment into COVID and there's some danger in missing what's really going on.

I could be totally full of crap here, and realize you're going to know a lot more about your own health than my rando stranger self.
Old 11-25-20, 07:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 241 Posts

Plus, the antibodies seem to only hang around for 90 days so the ship probably sailed on useful information.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 11-28-20, 10:08 AM
zurgalay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
to tell you the truth, everyone of us has probably had this slight symptoms which were too slight for going to the doctors who were actually occupied with hard cases and many of us had already been ill but don't even realize that now
Old 11-28-20, 09:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,099 Posts
I suspect that many viruses considered "respiratory" viruses have long term consequences that haven't yet been proven. Research into the early 2000s SARS pandemic indicated the coronavirus may be associated with some forms of damage to the brain and nervous system, including dementia, as well as permanent cardiovascular damage, inflammatory disease and auto immune disorders.

Tell an anti-vaxxer or pandemic denier that this "harmless flu bug" might cause infertility and impotence and they'll be demanding massive government spending to find a cure.

Until some comparison finally hits the mark for some folks they'll never take it seriously.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-29-20, 01:30 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts

Long hauliers update

Old 12-03-20, 09:07 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 208 Posts
Yup.

Nine months later without drugs for CNS inflammation I'd be disabled and my career over from brain fog.

It gave me Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, cut my aerobic threshold in half from 140W at 140 bpm to 75W at 110 bpm, and I don't want to find out what my anaerobic threshold is because that risks Post Exertional Malaise.

(Muscles are powered by the energy released when adeonsine triphosphate loses a phosphate, with one molecule of glucose producing 36 of ATP via aerobic glycolysis in your mitochondria or 2 via anaerobic glycolysis. CFS includes mitochondrial dysfunction where they don't work correctly and you switch to anaerobic at very low intensities)

I'm not the same since overdoing it on June 20th, where "overdoing it" was 110 minutes at my 140 bpm aerobic threshold heart rate which should be sustainable for 4-5 hours.

According to my infectious disease doctors I'm not supposed to get my heart rate over 120; although 110 seems to be the practical limit which would otherwise be an all-day, 20 hour pace for me. It would be nice to have known that - apparently over doing it and being set back months if not permanently is not uncommon among new CFS patients.

I now have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome. When not medicated I can increase my heart rate 30 bpm standing up and diastolic blood pressure 20mm/hg, unless I'm tired which can increase that to 50 bpm. My heart rate can increase when I stop bicycling to stand.

I've had a headache (one headache) since my second week around March 14th.

My airway is now borderline hyper reactive.

I have insatiable thirst.

It probably gave me Sjögren's Syndrome; where that means my eyes are dry, my nose is dry, my snot is sticky so I can't blow snot rockets, and I have antibodies against carbon anhydrase six which only exists in saliva and salivary glands.

0/10, do not recommend.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-18-20 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-06-20, 09:54 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 current favorite, newest bike.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Plus, the antibodies seem to only hang around for 90 days so the ship probably sailed on useful information.
Sometimes, sort of. There are some people who have titers below detectable limits after a surprisingly short period of time, and others who maintain an adequate level to be antibody positive after 6+ months. At this point in history, the assays are not quite sensitive and specific enough* to truly tell us how long the average human will have a positive ab titer. Safest bet: stay away from people when you can, wear masks when you can’t; exercise lots; drink good beer; get lots of fulfillment in your life and wash your hands vigorously and often. Hope for the best, expect worst. Be safe out there.

*I do SARS-CoV-2 PCR testing as part of my daily job. I work in a hospital laboratory. We have done some small studies with our antibody assay. It’s still all too new and too early to be certain of a lot of aspects of CoVid, but science is working very hard on finding answers and fighting hard against the virus. Keep hoping.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 12-14-20, 02:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 514 Posts
Drew Eckhardt , quite a list of horrible symptoms. I'm sorry to hear your life has been impacted so badly.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-16-20, 09:11 AM
HardHard
Banned.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I am so tired of these endless pandemic news
Old 12-16-20, 04:37 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 241 Posts
Cool. Why the literal **** would you go into a forum devoted to pandemic news?
Likes For gsteinb: