Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Denial of stats due to "contributing" factors........

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Denial of stats due to "contributing" factors........

Old 12-03-20, 08:22 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
LOL. That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard.
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 12-03-20, 08:38 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
...yet another social media based article that is just judgement oriented ...
I have mixed feelings about that. The trend of making oneself feel virtuous by calling out someone else is certainly distasteful. OTOH, there are a lot of people out there these days who believe they have the right to do whatever the heck they please without concern for the impact on anyone else. Because that's "freedom." So there are times when I feel we could use a little more shame in society. People should be embarrassed by their anti-social behavior.
Old 12-03-20, 08:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4889 Post(s)
Liked 2,121 Times in 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
I have mixed feelings about that. The trend of making oneself feel virtuous by calling out someone else is certainly distasteful. OTOH, there are a lot of people out there these days who believe they have the right to do whatever the heck they please without concern for the impact on anyone else. Because that's "freedom." So there are times when I feel we could use a little more shame in society. People should be embarrassed by their anti-social behavior.
Very well said. As I mentioned in that other post, the nurse made all this public so even though I dont think it should be a public issue/discussion/debate, she made it and in a way brought it on herself.
Old 12-03-20, 09:10 AM
CycleryNorth81

Here is another link to people that should be shamed. Bite me if you don't like it.

Proud Boys join protest at defiant Staten Island bar closed over COVID-19 violations

https://nypost.com/2020/12/03/proud-...ovid-19-rules/
Old 12-03-20, 12:33 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
Here are a handful of thoughts that will give fuel for you to continue.

- That gif refers to a scene where everyone shames someone. In doing so, they are making themselves feel better while also making the guilty feel worse. This absolutely takes place during the pandemic with social media allowing hot takes and quick judgements over people we dont know and situations we dont fully understand. Last night, I didnt have patience for yet another social media based article that is just judgement oriented, so i posted the gif and comment. I completely believe the comment is true of how we handle stories like this on social media.

- This sort of incident should be handled internally. But the woman created the situation by making it public, so i posted the gif since its public shaming oriented. It works on multiple levels- both sincere and ironically! Pretty great, huh?

- Again, I have no issue with her being suspended for not wearing a mask since she is a nurse. And if in her contract she agreed to not travel(doubtful), then I would have no issue with her being suspended for traveling. But yeah, I kinda dont love the idea that someone is shamed on social media for saying they travel still(a ton of people do it) or for saying they allow their kids to play with others(a crapton of people do it). Those really were what I disagreed with initially- certain sections of the article/headline.
Our kids have hung out with others- its been nearly 9 months of this, of course they have seen friends. Its WAY less than in usual times, but we have taken measured risk in order to allow them social time in situations. I firmly believe it can be done in a way that mitigates risk to an acceptable amount. My kids are not in a school building right now, so that affects how we view and manage interactions.

Hopefully this clarifies things for you and satisfies your confusion. If you want to have an actual discussion about any of my points, neato. If you want do your usual thing, just pass as I dont have interest in that.
So basically, you totally agree with me yet you need to insult me anyway? Cool story, bro!

Also, is that an admission that you were wrong to sayCycleryNorth81 should be shamed? It's hard to tell with all that mealymouthing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-03-20, 01:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4889 Post(s)
Liked 2,121 Times in 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
So basically, you totally agree with me yet you need to insult me anyway? Cool story, bro!

Also, is that an admission that you were wrong to sayCycleryNorth81 should be shamed? It's hard to tell with all that mealymouthing.
Did I insult you? Noted, if so.
No it isnt an admission that I shouldn't have posted what I posted earlier. That is my reaction to the article being written, the article's details about how others act, and about how we and others react to articles like this.

Hopefully that is straight forward enough so you can understand now.
Old 12-03-20, 03:42 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
Did I insult you? Noted, if so.
No it isnt an admission that I shouldn't have posted what I posted earlier. That is my reaction to the article being written, the article's details about how others act, and about how we and others react to articles like this.

Hopefully that is straight forward enough so you can understand now.

Good lord, if that's you trying to be straightforward, I really hope we never ride or drive near each other.

Just answer this--did you actually mean to sayCycleryNorth81 should be shamed? You know you did that, right? I don't see how that squares with everything else you've posted on the subject. As we both agree, the nurse brought this on herself when she took this public.

So, simple question, why is CycleryNorth81 supposed to be shamed?
Old 12-04-20, 11:34 AM
CycleryNorth81

'Nobody can stop us!' New York Young Republican club holds a maskless 'forbidden gala' with special guest Rep. Matt Gaetz - but have it in NEW JERSEY after being kicked out of Manhattan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...att-Gaetz.html