Old 12-04-20, 05:56 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 197 Posts
Well, this pandemic has proven useful to flush out the nutters (anti-vaxxers, 5G foil hats, chip-embedding vaccines etc.).
Old 12-04-20, 07:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,089 Posts
I’m afraid this is how I feel today. This will solve the problems we have as a species once and for all.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-04-20, 07:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13059 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,313 Posts
Well, there are the Darwin Awards.

The more people who initially refuse the vaccine, the quicker we get to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tier rollouts.

Unfortunately, this disease is disproportionately ravaging black communities,and so having a community leader suggesting anti-vaxing is irresponsible.
Old 12-04-20, 09:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 279 Posts
Not an anti-vaxxer, my kids are all up to date with everything they should have and even have their flue shots. I've been hesitant with the idea of the covid vaccine due to how fast they've rushed it through the process, after listening to NPR this evening I'm even less likely to get the vaccine till its been around for a while to make sure its really safe. Chatted with the pediatrician and they won't be referring it right away till its had time in general use to verify the safety of it.
Old 12-04-20, 09:53 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
I am thinking of promulgating anti-vax propaganda so that me and my family can get vaccinated sooner.
Old 12-04-20, 10:24 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I am thinking of promulgating anti-vax propaganda so that me and my family can get vaccinated sooner.
The vaccine won't work if not enough people get vaccinated. And who knows how long it will be effective even if enough people get it.

Could be it only protects for two or three months, and I don't have high hopes we can vaccinate the world in that time-span (and then do it again from the top). You also need two shots. So in order to vaccinate, say, 70% of the US population, you would not need 230 million doses, but 460 million doses. And that's the US. We have quite a few poor contries and dictatorships around the world where there isn't an infrastructure even on par with the US. Take India, for instance. Or China. It will take years before the "world" is vaccinated.

I'm not sure this could even be done in three months (or two).
Old 12-04-20, 10:26 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
Not an anti-vaxxer, my kids are all up to date with everything they should have and even have their flue shots. I've been hesitant with the idea of the covid vaccine due to how fast they've rushed it through the process, after listening to NPR this evening I'm even less likely to get the vaccine till its been around for a while to make sure its really safe. Chatted with the pediatrician and they won't be referring it right away till its had time in general use to verify the safety of it.
If you are in your 30's or 40's and generally active, you're likely at relatively low risk from the virus. But, there may be some long-term COVID effects that we haven't fully documented yet.

But, if you are around your parents or grandparents or great grandparents, then they may well be at substantially greater risk. Plus other contacts.

So far I haven't found a downloadable copy of the testing done, although I did find a summary of the protocol. I would, however, like to see the final report. Nonetheless, they're reporting around 95% efficacy for the vaccine. Perhaps slightly lower in the "real world", apparently with reports of some short-term discomfort, but no serious side effects so far. And a bunch of people have been tested. I think somewhere around 30,000 so far.

We're seeing some pretty major spikes in the disease, as well as fatalities around the country. Hospitals are filling up and getting stressed.

Do you wish to displace someone else from a hospital bed?

I'd encourage people to wait their turn. But, follow the news, and get vaccinated unless something very disturbing pops up.

The testing protocol I read indicated that pregnant women weren't tested. So, perhaps that is one group that should use caution, at least at first. Nonetheless, I'm not sure I'd want to be pregnant with COVID.
Old 12-04-20, 11:44 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
The vaccine won't work if not enough people get vaccinated. And who knows how long it will be effective even if enough people get it.

Could be it only protects for two or three months, and I don't have high hopes we can vaccinate the world in that time-span (and then do it again from the top). You also need two shots. So in order to vaccinate, say, 70% of the US population, you would not need 230 million doses, but 460 million doses. And that's the US. We have quite a few poor contries and dictatorships around the world where there isn't an infrastructure even on par with the US. Take India, for instance. Or China. It will take years before the "world" is vaccinated.

I'm not sure this could even be done in three months (or two).
Too many unknowns.

Don't get vaccinated. Hide in your basement.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-04-20, 11:52 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Too many unknowns.

Don't get vaccinated. Hide in your basement.

Let us know how it goes.
That's not at all what I said. On the contrary: I want as many as possible vaccinated, and I'm getting the shots myself. I'm further adding that it will be a huge task and it may have to be on a continual basis until the entire world are vaccinated.

Reread my post.
Old 12-05-20, 12:22 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 346 Posts
I'm betting on the virus.

Between short immunity, anti-vaxxers, and political influence, it's not going to be wiped out in North America. Not for a few generations anyway. Darwin talk is amusing in a self-serving way, but this virus is not lethal enough to wipe out the deniers. It has found the sweet spot for maximum suffering, without drawing the kind of response that would lead to successful eradication.

An American passport will be a ticket to the quarantine facility, or at least require irrefutable proof of vaccination, for entry into many countries.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-05-20, 12:33 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 974 Posts
We need a self-replicating mRNA vaccine.

After all, the virus is a self-replicating mRNA.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 12-05-20, 12:39 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
I'm betting on the virus.

Between short immunity, anti-vaxxers, and political influence, it's not going to be wiped out in North America. Not for a few generations anyway. Darwin talk is amusing in a self-serving way, but this virus is not lethal enough to wipe out the deniers. It has found the sweet spot for maximum suffering, without drawing the kind of response that would lead to successful eradication.

An American passport will be a ticket to the quarantine facility, or at least require irrefutable proof of vaccination, for entry into many countries.
Yep, you guys have jumped the shark, shafted the pooch, got a couple of kangaroos loose in the top paddock, as a nation. There will be a special immigration queue for you lot, straight to the isolation ward. Pity they can't vaccinate against Dunning-Kruger disorder. Should be some kind of instant test to detect conspiracy ideation. "Excuse me sir, we've canceled your visa, on account you are certifiably insane, *insert current conspiracy theory here* is not a real thing"
Our government has decided to delay the roll out of the vaccines for a few months, to make sure one of them doesn't start a zombie apocalypse or somesuch.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 12-05-20, 12:56 AM
alo

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
I am amazed how many people just believe everything the media tells them. I challenge you to think for yourself, and question what you are told. Consider those presenting different views (not all alternate views are correct, but some raise valid points). Consider the possibility that there may be another agenda.
Likes For alo:
Old 12-05-20, 01:10 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
I am amazed how many people just believe everything the media tells them. I challenge you to think for yourself, and question what you are told. Consider those presenting different views (not all alternate views are correct, but some raise valid points). Consider the possibility that there may be another agenda.
What might those different alternate correct views be?
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 12-05-20, 01:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked 1,722 Times in 1,107 Posts
I am AMazed how ManY pEOPlE JUst bElieVe EvEryThINg ThE MEdIA tELls THem. i ChallenGE YoU To tHiNK fOr youRSELF, And qUEsTiOn WHAt yoU Are TolD. CoNsIder tHOsE pREseNtinG diFfEReNt VIEwS (nOT All ALternATE VIEWS aRE coRReCT, BUT some raisE vAliD POInTS). cONSIDeR The PoSsiBIliTY tHAT THERe mAy BE another AgENda.
Okay. This should be fun.
Old 12-05-20, 03:08 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I will let all you pro vaxx worshiping people go first , I am sure the centralized medical industry has our health and well being as top priority and not profits !!!!
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 12-05-20, 05:59 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
Can you please point out to me where I can get the real scoop on all these things the media is brainwashing me to believe?

thank you.
Likes For Pemetic2006:
Old 12-05-20, 06:11 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 View Post
Can you please point out to me where I can get the real scoop on all these things the media is brainwashing me to believe?

thank you.
Youtube of course, that's where all the good science happens.
Old 12-05-20, 06:29 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

I can’t take it anymore!
Old 12-05-20, 09:55 AM
DeadGrandpa
Philosopher of Bicycling

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Unfortunately, this disease is disproportionately ravaging black communities,and so having a community leader suggesting anti-vaxing is irresponsible.
I don't have any issue with what you said, but when did actors and actresses become 'community leaders"? I mean, sure, people are entitled to look to anyone they wish for inspiration and guidance, but I never thought that being skilled at pretending to be a fictional character (acting) qualified one to pontificate on society's ills and cures. Personally, I have enjoyed Bruce Willis and Clint Eastwood movies, but I doubt they have any substantial guidance for society at large. I guess I could be wrong.
Old 12-05-20, 10:26 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
Well, this pandemic has proven useful to flush out the nutters (anti-vaxxers, 5G foil hats, chip-embedding vaccines etc.).
The nutters is one obvious problem. Another is the level of mistrust in government and other institutions. A large part of mistrust is the consequences of the kind of people who populate those institutions. Their cronyism and self serving actions have nothing to do with public service.

Some years ago a long standing member of the House of Representatives from Rhode Island,lost an election. He quickly headed back to Washington to a job at a lobbying firm, his reward for good cooperation over the years. This has been labeled "the swamp" or sold to the highest bidder.
Likes For berner:
Old 12-05-20, 01:41 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
I don't have any issue with what you said, but when did actors and actresses become 'community leaders"? I mean, sure, people are entitled to look to anyone they wish for inspiration and guidance, but I never thought that being skilled at pretending to be a fictional character (acting) qualified one to pontificate on society's ills and cures. Personally, I have enjoyed Bruce Willis and Clint Eastwood movies, but I doubt they have any substantial guidance for society at large. I guess I could be wrong.
Clint Eastwood was the Mayor or the city of Carmel-by-the-Sea.

I do believe that many actors and actresses as well as singers and rappers become role models of one sort or another, as well as "influencers". Especially with social media. This is part of what made Kanye West such a dangerous political candidate, if only he had been a bit more organized.

Keep in mind that Letitia Wright had social media followers, so somebody cared what she wrote.
Old 12-05-20, 03:17 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Just take the Frikin vaccine and do what is right for yourselves and everybody else Bubba and Bubbette. If the vaccine makes you grow a tail and fangs and you turn into a gargoyle you probably deserved that fate anyways. I will wait my turn after our most vulnerable gets the vaccine and be civilized. Tough guys that brag about how tough they are can’t wear a 3oz mask? It is part of the alien invasion of Earth and so what we need all the help we can get.
Old 12-05-20, 03:25 PM
DeadGrandpa
Philosopher of Bicycling

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Clint Eastwood was the Mayor or the city of Carmel-by-the-Sea.

I do believe that many actors and actresses as well as singers and rappers become role models of one sort or another, as well as "influencers". Especially with social media. This is part of what made Kanye West such a dangerous political candidate, if only he had been a bit more organized.

Keep in mind that Letitia Wright had social media followers, so somebody cared what she wrote.
I am not surprised that social media followers give credence to their idols. I am surprised that the strangest of cream sometimes rises to the level of leadership, as in governor of a state. Clint as mayor didn't surprise me. Jesse Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger as governors definitely were surprising. Was the movie, "Idiocracy" really that far removed from reality? Kinda makes me glad that I have fewer days in front of me than behind me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.