Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

I tested positive

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

I tested positive

 
Old 12-13-20, 02:35 PM
  #26  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,676

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9673 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,328 Posts
9/11 2977 killed in one day. COVID 19 3124 deaths Wednesday... with daily numbers nearly the same.

9/11... a single day event... COVID 19... Ongoing with record daily deaths. The country should "get together" to fight COVID, daily. But that isn't the case. There must be a reason for that...
genec is offline  
Old 12-13-20, 02:59 PM
  #27  
pepperbelly
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
9/11 2977 killed in one day. COVID 19 3124 deaths Wednesday... with daily numbers nearly the same.

9/11... a single day event... COVID 19... Ongoing with record daily deaths. The country should "get together" to fight COVID, daily. But that isn't the case. There must be a reason for that...
9-11 we were attacked, like Pearl Harbor.
Covid deaths are like flu deaths, car accident desths, diabetes deaths and heart fatalities. People just think there is not way to fight it.
Earlier this year they said quarantine 2 weeks to flatten the curve. Then 2 more weeks. Then shut down for months and it seems nothing makes a difference.
I read a story yesterday about the probable original superspreader event. It was a medical conference in February by Biogen. 250,000-300,000 cases from that conference.
pepperbelly is offline  
Old 12-13-20, 03:13 PM
  #28  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 6,630

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 316 Posts
I ride with a group of retired guys. Forgot my helmet one ride and they looked at me like I was crazy for still riding. Same group, a few guys refuse to wear a mask. Had to tell them I'd be back when i get my vaccine. These are older guys that are in the risk group. I'm at a loss...
curbtender is offline  
Old 12-13-20, 03:24 PM
  #29  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,264

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2713 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,172 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
I ride with a group of retired guys. Forgot my helmet one ride and they looked at me like I was crazy for still riding. Same group, a few guys refuse to wear a mask. Had to tell them I'd be back when i get my vaccine. These are older guys that are in the risk group. I'm at a loss...
And when you get that vaccine, it still might not protect them. (The vaccine is injected into the blood. That system will be well protected. The sinuses far less so. An oncoming virus could get its start in your nose, infect a lot of others but be unable to affect the rest of you. So, for you, the vaccine worked. For those unmasked around you, it may not. (Now you can spare them by continuing to wear a mask. Shall we place bets on how many vaccinated folks do that?)
79pmooney is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 09:46 AM
  #30  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
And when you get that vaccine, it still might not protect them. (The vaccine is injected into the blood. That system will be well protected. The sinuses far less so. An oncoming virus could get its start in your nose, infect a lot of others but be unable to affect the rest of you. So, for you, the vaccine worked. For those unmasked around you, it may not. (Now you can spare them by continuing to wear a mask. Shall we place bets on how many vaccinated folks do that?)
Ultimately the spread of a disease is related the the R-Number. If that number gets below 1, the disease will eventually die out, or die down. And the vaccine will help even if not everyone gets it or there are some vaccine failures.

I presume the vaccine trials included both symptomatic and asymptomatic testing. So a nasal swab should be able to determine if a person is actively shedding the virus and capable of spreading it to others.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 12-15-20, 06:33 AM
  #31  
ropetwitch
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly View Post
i was most probably initially exposed the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. My wife and daughter started feeling bad Friday or Saturday and tested positive Sunday. I tested positive that following Tuesday- a week after exposure. Since I am asymptomatic itís hard to be sure but we all had to have been exposed at the same time.
We were told to isolate for 7-10 days- even the doctor isnít sure. My wife is a surgical nurse and will be cleared to go back to work on Tuesday.
I am not trolling and as long as I stay away from people I am not endangering anyone.
I am confused...I thought the mandatory quarantine period is 14 days be it a asymptomatic. So is it only 7 to 10 days and why the doctor is not sure of what?
ropetwitch is offline  
Old 12-15-20, 06:53 AM
  #32  
sloppy12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ropetwitch View Post
I am confused...I thought the mandatory quarantine period is 14 days be it a asymptomatic. So is it only 7 to 10 days and why the doctor is not sure of what?
New guideline is 7-10 days
sloppy12 is offline  
Old 12-15-20, 09:41 AM
  #33  
reconnaissance
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 122

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly View Post
i was most probably initially exposed the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. My wife and daughter started feeling bad Friday or Saturday and tested positive Sunday. I tested positive that following Tuesday- a week after exposure. Since I am asymptomatic itís hard to be sure but we all had to have been exposed at the same time.
We were told to isolate for 7-10 days- even the doctor isnít sure. My wife is a surgical nurse and will be cleared to go back to work on Tuesday.
I am not trolling and as long as I stay away from people I am not endangering anyone.
If you havenít had symptoms by now then youíre golden. I got it in nearly the same way as you did back at the end of Septemberóclose contact with a family member whoís a nurse who was exposed at work, by a patient while she was wearing all the necessary gear, including a face shield. She didnít have symptoms until a day after her contact with me and my wife. About three days later I had symptoms and so did my wife. We spent a month in our little Ďleper colonyí and are fine now.

I assume everyone on earth will eventually be exposed but only a proportion will have symptoms. Our cycling brother was fortunate and is not doing anything wrong by getting outdoor exercise in the way he has described. In fact, it may be a factor in his not getting symptoms. Trump caught a lot of flak for suggesting we find a way to expose our interior organs to UV light, but the fact is, ultraviolet light is absolutely destructive to the virus. The best source of UV light is our nearest star and even the clouds canít stop it all, so letís get outside as much as we can.
reconnaissance is offline  
Old 12-15-20, 10:55 AM
  #34  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,163

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by reconnaissance View Post
If you havenít had symptoms by now then youíre golden. I got it in nearly the same way as you did back at the end of Septemberóclose contact with a family member whoís a nurse who was exposed at work, by a patient while she was wearing all the necessary gear, including a face shield. She didnít have symptoms until a day after her contact with me and my wife. About three days later I had symptoms and so did my wife. We spent a month in our little Ďleper colonyí and are fine now.

I assume everyone on earth will eventually be exposed but only a proportion will have symptoms. Our cycling brother was fortunate and is not doing anything wrong by getting outdoor exercise in the way he has described. In fact, it may be a factor in his not getting symptoms. Trump caught a lot of flak for suggesting we find a way to expose our interior organs to UV light, but the fact is, ultraviolet light is absolutely destructive to the virus. The best source of UV light is our nearest star and even the clouds canít stop it all, so letís get outside as much as we can.
My advice is to follow his docs advice (which it appears he is doing).

Sufficient UV light at the right wavelengths is in fact destructive to viruses, but that general fact doesn't support the notion of going outside in public if you are infected. UV light or not, the virus can remain viable long enough out of doors for transmission to occur. Exercise to help your immune system is likewise good advice before you are infected ... not so good advice after you are infected as exercise may depress your immune response. I've read that vitamin D has shown some efficacy against COVID, but again ... I would ask my doc about how best to get it.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Old 12-15-20, 12:35 PM
  #35  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 7,700

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
9/11 2977 killed in one day. COVID 19 3124 deaths Wednesday... with daily numbers nearly the same.

9/11... a single day event... COVID 19... Ongoing with record daily deaths. The country should "get together" to fight COVID, daily. But that isn't the case. There must be a reason for that...
If we started fighting COVID we would have to give the virus a big head start and then go somewhere else then where the virus originated and got its funding and where most of it was from. Then we would have to start another war in another country unrelated to the virus and then many years later while still doing stuff in those two unrelated countries finally get the guy who ran the virus but still never actually do anything about the virus origins aside from continue to be besties with them. Or if you are the Alex Jones type just attack "the secret Joo-mandos who used their Menorah shaped flame throwers, guilt and bad matzoh balls to bring the towers down" (good matzoh balls are generally lighter and fluffier but I have had some in my day that are boulders, my secret was club soda and not over mixing)

Fighting the 'rona isn't so hard it is fighting the ignorance and selfishness around it that people in power are casting on it daily. If those in the upper echelons of government right away listen to doctors who know what they are doing, "maintain at least 6 feet, wear a proper mask the correct way always when in any public setting, avoid going out if you can and wash your hands for 20 seconds with regularity" we might not have had to go this long.

As Republican MD governor, Larry Hogan said "Just wear the damn mask"
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-16-20, 09:10 AM
  #36  
HardHard
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Press F. I wish you to stay healthy
HardHard is offline  
Old 12-17-20, 08:08 AM
  #37  
pepperbelly
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Today is the last day of isolation. Still no symptoms.
pepperbelly is offline  
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 12-18-20, 03:55 PM
  #38  
pepperbelly
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
This just isnít fair.
As of today Iím free. The wind has been blowing 25-30. I was going out thinking about riding and sand and grit almost blinded me.
pepperbelly is offline  
Old 12-18-20, 05:01 PM
  #39  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,163

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly View Post
This just isnít fair.
As of today Iím free. The wind has been blowing 25-30. I was going out thinking about riding and sand and grit almost blinded me.
You KNEW that was going to happen! Time for a hot toddy instead of a bike ride.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-18-20, 05:19 PM
  #40  
pepperbelly
old newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
You KNEW that was going to happen! Time for a hot toddy instead of a bike ride.
right?
Maybe a margarita.
pepperbelly is offline  
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.